Conceal Carry in Church??

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Z2100
captain of 100

Re: Conceal Carry in Church??

Post by Z2100 »

The Lord protects us from any harm. Have you heard of any shooting/attacks at any LDS churches? The Lord will keep us safe from weirdos, until its time to let all Hell break loose.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Not recently, Z2100, but there was a bishop killed in California some years ago by a nutcase. I think in the bishop's office. I'm sure there are people on LDSFF who remember that. I remember there was a discussion about it on ldsglo.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Z2100 wrote: April 17th, 2017, 10:14 pm The Lord protects us from any harm. Have you heard of any shooting/attacks at any LDS churches? The Lord will keep us safe from weirdos, until its time to let all Hell break loose.

There was also a fight over where to sit in Sacrament meeting, which I think resulted in a shooting in the parking lot; maybe 5 years ago, in Utah.

The Lord protects us,, gives us a general blanket, overall immunity; we must then do the foot work, which may even include bloodshed.

dc

Do a search. You will see quite a few miscellaneous incidents of violence. One near here, 3 were shot, one fatally leaving a dance or some such of the youth ward near Gardena. That just last year.

Sandinista
captain of 100

Post by Sandinista »

Silver Pie wrote: April 17th, 2017, 10:26 pm Not recently, Z2100, but there was a bishop killed in California some years ago by a nutcase. I think in the bishop's office. I'm sure there are people on LDSFF who remember that. I remember there was a discussion about it on ldsglo.
My son served his mission in that area and was in the building meeting with the ward mission leader in the room next to the Bishop's office when the Bishop was killed. We had just got home from church that Sunday when we got a call from someone in that Stake telling us that "Our son was oaky and we would hear from him later that evening." We immediately turned on the news and saw a report about the shooting with our son and his companion standing in the background as the news cameras panned the scene during interviews with people. It was a situation of a guy with serious mental issues going off the deep end, with tragic results. Would someone with a concealed carry been able to stop the guy? I don't know. Fortunately it was between meetings and only a few people were in the building. After the guy shot the Bishop he left and called the police from an intersection a few miles away. He waited there for police to arrive and basically committed "suicide by cop" by opening fire on the police.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

David13 wrote: April 18th, 2017, 7:45 am
Z2100 wrote: April 17th, 2017, 10:14 pm The Lord protects us from any harm. Have you heard of any shooting/attacks at any LDS churches? The Lord will keep us safe from weirdos, until its time to let all Hell break loose.

There was also a fight over where to sit in Sacrament meeting, which I think resulted in a shooting in the parking lot; maybe 5 years ago, in Utah.

The Lord protects us,, gives us a general blanket, overall immunity; we must then do the foot work, which may even include bloodshed.

dc

Do a search. You will see quite a few miscellaneous incidents of violence. One near here, 3 were shot, one fatally leaving a dance or some such of the youth ward near Gardena. That just last year.

Those kind of people who fight over seats are the tares. ;)

BlindmanCC
Hi, I'm new.

Post by BlindmanCC »

I put my faith in the Lord when I go to church, but my bag with my weapon is in my trunk.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Is it only in the US where this question would be relevant, or are there any other LDS Chapels in the world where this question would be relevant?

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Probably only in the US, Elizabeth.

M249Gunner
captain of 100

Post by M249Gunner »

I think I may have sat through a sacrament meeting or two with an M249 Squad Automatic Weapon by my side. It wasn't concealed though. I think a bunch of people there had M16s and there may even have been an M203 in attendance. No one was hurt. There is no reason to fear weapons being carried in church.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

What good are guns in church if no one is out in the parking lot observing cars coming and going or any suspicious activity? If perps gain entry to the church and then start shooting, it is already too late. There needs to be security measures before anyone can start hurting those inside. Then any guns inside can be more effective much sooner.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I think you are absolutely right, FFA.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

freedomforall wrote: May 4th, 2017, 10:11 pm What good are guns in church if no one is out in the parking lot observing cars coming and going or any suspicious activity? If perps gain entry to the church and then start shooting, it is already too late. There needs to be security measures before anyone can start hurting those inside. Then any guns inside can be more effective much sooner.

I really got to wholeheartedly disagree with you on that.
First, there is no prior restraint. So there is not a lot that can be done prior to someone doing something wrong.

Second, I think what you are saying is what the "gun control" idiots say. Let's put restraints on everyone, because one person in all might do something wrong.
Do you really think we all want to go through, or should go through a metal detector to get into the chapel? Or the parking lot? No, we can't and won't do that. It won't work anyway, because ... there is a back door, isn't there?

Third, if someone comes in and starts shooting, those ccws will be able to respond and stop them from doing more harm. Thus we pray.

Fourth, if you have a suspicious car or activity in the parking lot, what are you going to do about it? Nothing. Observe doesn't do anything to stop a shooter. Ccw does, or can.

dc

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

David13 wrote: May 5th, 2017, 5:29 pm
freedomforall wrote: May 4th, 2017, 10:11 pm What good are guns in church if no one is out in the parking lot observing cars coming and going or any suspicious activity? If perps gain entry to the church and then start shooting, it is already too late. There needs to be security measures before anyone can start hurting those inside. Then any guns inside can be more effective much sooner.

First, there is no prior restraint. So there is not a lot that can be done prior to someone doing something wrong.

Second, I think what you are saying is what the "gun control" idiots Am I to take this personally? say. Let's put restraints on everyone, because one person in all might do something wrong.
Do you really think we all want to go through, or should go through a metal detector to get into the chapel? Or the parking lot? No, we can't and won't do that. It won't work anyway, because ... there is a back door, isn't there?

Third, if someone comes in and starts shooting, those ccws will be able to respond and stop them from doing more harm. Thus we pray.

Fourth, if you have a suspicious car or activity in the parking lot, what are you going to do about it? Nothing. Observe doesn't do anything to stop a shooter. Ccw does, or can.

dc
I doubt very much that you have spent very much time in a foxhole all night in total darkness. The people in the foxhole are the first line of defense for the "what ifs" and the "maybes." They are the alarm for potential attack and the warning to get others to get ready for action.
To have people sitting in pews with holstered guns and not knowing what is going on outside is just plain stupid and careless, not to mention useless. It sounds like you'd rather have several people get shot by a perp before anyone can respond to the commotion. So who are you willing to let die or get maimed before you pull your pistol, huh? Just a couple of people in the parking lot could potentially deter perps from carrying out their intent. Your way is a near guaranty of someone getting hurt. Would you recommend people wear blinders while driving? Or does that little bit of extra line of sight make a difference for increased defense?
Let's not let ego override common sense.
I said nothing about metal detectors or having to show a weapon before becoming seated. If it'll help, I'll type slower.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

freedomforall wrote: May 5th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Second, I think what you are saying is what the "gun control" idiots Am I to take this personally? say. Let's put restraints on everyone, because one person in all might do something wrong.

dc
I doubt very much that you have spent very much time in a foxhole all night in total darkness. The people in the foxhole are the first line of defense for the "what ifs" and the "maybes." They are the alarm for potential attack and the warning to get others to get ready for action.
To have people sitting in pews with holstered guns and not knowing what is going on outside is just plain stupid and careless, not to mention useless. It sounds like you'd rather have several people get shot by a perp before anyone can respond to the commotion. So who are you willing to let die or get maimed before you pull your pistol, huh? Just a couple of people in the parking lot could potentially deter perps from carrying out their intent. Your way is a near guaranty of someone getting hurt. Would you recommend people wear blinders while driving? Or does that little bit of extra line of sight make a difference for increased defense?
I said nothing about metal detectors or having to show a weapon before becoming seated. If it'll help, I'll type slower.

What would help would be to put your bloated ego aside and say what you are saying. If not metal detectors, what on earth are you talking about?
Opening fire out in the parking lot?

There are no foxholes anywhere near any of the many meeting houses I have been to. So what do you think your ridiculous crack about foxholes should be interpreted as other than insanity, or drunkenness.
dc

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

David13 wrote: May 5th, 2017, 9:17 pm

dc

What would help would be to put your bloated ego aside and say what you are saying. If not metal detectors, what on earth are you talking about?

There are no foxholes anywhere near any of the many meeting houses I have been to. So what do you think your ridiculous crack about foxholes should be interpreted as other than insanity, or drunkenness. As fact, because I spent several nights in one in Vietnam, and the experience ain't no picnic. So please keep your wisecracks to yourself.
dc
Why don't you quit while you're behind. You don't want to get me started when it comes to insults. If you don't agree with using logic, reasoning and strategy...that's fine, but don't insult my intelligence to suit your ridiculous, over the top ego.
We will have to agree to disagree. And I was 100% correct about you and foxholes. You couldn't grasp the point of having a first line of defense, which is nothing more than a preventive measure geared to hopefully stop any further action by those bent on hurting others. But you just keep wearing your blinders.

Oh, crap, somebody is shooting a rapid fire weapon from out in the foyer, I guess I should pull my CC I just got licensed for and go after them. Darn it, I just got hit in the chest, I hope someone else will get the shooter since my Smith & Wesson Model 500 .50-Cal. Magnum is still in its holster. Oh, no, the floor just hit me in the face...who turned out the lights?

The moral to this scenario is:

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”... Benjamin Franklin

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

freedomforall wrote: May 5th, 2017, 10:10 pm
David13 wrote: May 5th, 2017, 9:17 pm

dc

There are no foxholes anywhere near any of the many meeting houses I have been to. So what do you think your ridiculous crack about foxholes should be interpreted as other than insanity, or drunkenness. As fact, because I spent several nights in one in Vietnam, and the experience ain't no picnic. So please keep your wisecracks to yourself.
dc
Why don't you quit while you're behind. You don't want to get me started when it comes to insults. If you don't agree with using logic, reasoning and strategy...that's fine, but don't insult my intelligence to suit your ridiculous, over the top ego.
We will have to agree to disagree. And I was 100% correct about you and foxholes. You couldn't grasp the point of having a first line of defense, which is nothing more than a preventive measure geared to hopefully stop any further action by those bent on hurting others. But you just keep wearing your blinders.

Oh, crap, somebody is shooting a rapid fire weapon from out in the foyer, I guess I should pull my CC I just got licensed for and go after them. Darn it, I just got hit in the chest, I hope someone else will get the shooter since my Smith & Wesson Model 500 .50-Cal. Magnum is still in its holster. Oh, no, the floor just hit me in the face...who turned out the lights?

The moral to this scenario is:

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”... Benjamin Franklin

"So please keep your wisecracks to yourself." Practice what you preach.

Insanity or drunkenness. Let me be charitable. Yesterday, Friday night, Dia de los Borachos. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you have sobered up enough today to ANSWER THE QUESTION.

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO IN THE PARKING LOT? And who are you going to get to spend Sacrament meeting in the parking lot?

"Why don't you quit while you're behind." Again, practice what you preach.

" ... a first line of defense, which is nothing more than a preventive measure geared to hopefully stop any further action by those bent on hurting others."

What line of defense? What preventive measure? What are you talking about? Describe these things.

And finally, tell me how you are going to identify anyone "bent on hurting others" in the parking lot.

Are you going to question everyone in the parking lot? What is this "line of defense" going to consist of? Prior restraint?

Are you going to say "Visitors Welcome" or not?

Do you think someone bent on doing harm is going to tell you in the parking lot? Or wear a sign? You think they are going to make a "commotion" in the parking lot? Define commotion, as you see it. Then what alarm are you going to sound? The fire alarm?

Do you seriously spend your Sunday 3 hour block in the parking lot? That may explain what you have here so far.

"Just a couple of people in the parking lot could potentially deter perps from carrying out their intent." How? In what way? What are they (you) going to do? How do you determine their intent out there?

The topic here was Concealed Carry in Church. Not foxholes in Vietnam, nor the parking lot. So answer the questions, if you can.

What are you going to do with/in the parking lot. What are you going to do out there? What have you done so far. And if you are not thinking of foxholes in the parking lot, what compelled you to get foxholes into this thread?

In other words DESCRIBE YOUR OUNCE OF PREVENTION.

Meanwhile there will continue to be concealed carry in the church as has been stated here.

Thank you
dc

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

David13 wrote: May 6th, 2017, 9:08 am "So please keep your wisecracks to yourself." Practice what you preach.

Insanity or drunkenness. Let me be charitable. Yesterday, Friday night, Dia de los Borachos. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you have sobered up enough today to ANSWER THE QUESTION.

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO IN THE PARKING LOT? And who are you going to get to spend Sacrament meeting in the parking lot?

" ... a first line of defense, which is nothing more than a preventive measure geared to hopefully stop any further action by those bent on hurting others."

What line of defense? What preventive measure? What are you talking about? Describe these things.

And finally, tell me how you are going to identify anyone "bent on hurting others" in the parking lot.

Are you going to question everyone in the parking lot? What is this "line of defense" going to consist of? Prior restraint?

Do you think someone bent on doing harm is going to tell you in the parking lot? Or wear a sign? You think they are going to make a "commotion" in the parking lot? Define commotion, as you see it. Then what alarm are you going to sound? The fire alarm?

Do you seriously spend your Sunday 3 hour block in the parking lot? That may explain what you have here so far.

"Just a couple of people in the parking lot could potentially deter perps from carrying out their intent." How? In what way? What are they (you) going to do? How do you determine their intent out there?

The topic here was Concealed Carry in Church. Not foxholes in Vietnam, nor the parking lot. So answer the questions, if you can.

What are you going to do with/in the parking lot. What are you going to do out there? What have you done so far. And if you are not thinking of foxholes in the parking lot, what compelled you to get foxholes into this thread?

Meanwhile there will continue to be concealed carry in the church as has been stated here.

Thank you
dc
Your first post to me was laced with insults and innuendo, and it continues from then on, so don't play the innocent and accusatory card now. Frankly, do you deserve a detailed explanation of my ideas given as an answer? Aren't you too busy being a hotheaded know it all, and happy that you can be sober enough to carry a gun into church like Wyatt Earp and be the toughest, most admired guy in the chapel?
At this point I'm going to let you keep guessing, which is a lot more fun for me rather than weeding through your insults and appeasing your arrogant laced statements, unless you want to become civil and ask questions respectfully.
David13 wrote:I think what you are saying is what the "gun control" idiots say.
This is in no way a good opener for discussion. It only puts someone on the defensive from the get go. And you prejudged what I was saying by saying things I hadn't even mentioned, like metal detectors...where the heck did that come from?

KurtTheMormon
captain of 100

Post by KurtTheMormon »

In the state of Utah one of the few illegal places to carry a gun is inside an LDS church.

I bring pepper spray instead.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

freedomforall wrote: May 6th, 2017, 4:41 pm
David13 wrote: May 6th, 2017, 9:08 am "So please keep your wisecracks to yourself." Practice what you preach.

Thank you
dc
Your first post to me was laced with insults and innuendo, and it continues from then on, so don't play the innocent and accusatory card now. Frankly, do you deserve a detailed explanation of my ideas given as an answer? Aren't you too busy being a hotheaded know it all, and happy that you can be sober enough to carry a gun into church like Wyatt Earp and be the toughest, most admired guy in the chapel?
At this point I'm going to let you keep guessing, which is a lot more fun for me rather than weeding through your insults and appeasing your arrogant laced statements, unless you want to become civil and ask questions respectfully.
David13 wrote:I think what you are saying is what the "gun control" idiots say.
This is in no way a good opener for discussion. It only puts someone on the defensive from the get go. And you prejudged what I was saying by saying things I hadn't even mentioned, like metal detectors...where the heck did that come from?

You are rather insulting for someone who wants to act so sanctimonious.

There was never any guessing on my part at all. I knew you had no idea of this parking lot defense, but that you just wanted to blow a lot of hot air.
I called your bluff and you couldn't lay down your cards. Since you can't put up, shut up.
dc

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

In Australia, neither are allowed nor legal anywhere.
KurtTheMormon wrote: May 6th, 2017, 11:35 pm In the state of Utah one of the few illegal places to carry a gun is inside an LDS church.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Elizabeth wrote: May 7th, 2017, 9:26 am In Australia, neither are allowed nor legal anywhere.
KurtTheMormon wrote: May 6th, 2017, 11:35 pm In the state of Utah one of the few illegal places to carry a gun is inside an LDS church.

It any church in Utah not just LDS ones.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

David13 wrote: May 7th, 2017, 7:52 amYou are rather insulting for someone who wants to act so sanctimonious.

There was never any guessing on my part at all. I knew you had no idea of this parking lot defense, but that you just wanted to blow a lot of hot air.
I called your bluff and you couldn't lay down your cards. Since you can't put up, shut up.
dc
Here is a book I recommend to you:

How to Win Friends and Influence People
Last edited by freedomforall on May 7th, 2017, 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

gkearney wrote: May 7th, 2017, 10:28 am
Elizabeth wrote: May 7th, 2017, 9:26 am In Australia, neither are allowed nor legal anywhere.

This is when spit wads come in handy. Or even a pea shooter.

Maybe even a very nice wrist rocket:
Wrist Rocket.jpg
Wrist Rocket.jpg (191.41 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

freedomforall wrote: May 7th, 2017, 10:56 am
David13 wrote: May 7th, 2017, 7:52 amYou are rather insulting for someone who wants to act so sanctimonious.

dc
Here is a book I recommend to you:

How to Win Friends and Influence People

Have you read the book? It sure don't show!

I'm not trying to influence you. You are trying to tell me you have some magic parking lot defense system, and I say you have nothing. And you have presented ... nothing.

Therefore ...
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

freedomforall wrote: May 7th, 2017, 11:07 am
gkearney wrote: May 7th, 2017, 10:28 am

This is when spit wads come in handy. Or even a pea shooter.

Maybe even a very nice wrist rocket:

Wrist Rocket.jpg

You are going to take a pea shooter to a gun fight? You are a real defense expert, aren't you!
dc