Joseph in Egypt; A type and shadow for our day?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Scarecrow
captain of 100

Joseph in Egypt; A type and shadow for our day?

Post by Scarecrow »

Could it be that the financial collapse in the fall of 2008 was the beginning of seven years of hardship or scarcity after seven years of prosperity and plenty? What might we learn from Joseph’s history if we hypothetically considered the possibility of seven “blasted years” from 2008 to 2015? What if a careful study of Joseph’s history during the famine and after it could reveal parallel situations and principles of truth of great value to us in navigating successfully through our current turbulent period of history?
http://www.ldsmag.com/articles/100422egypt.html

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Re: Joseph in Egypt; A type and shadow for our day?

Post by NoGreaterLove »

I have thought about this too. We have to remember Pres Hinckley emphatically stated that he was not predicting a famine and then began to speak of the economy. When did the economy fall? Is it 2008?

Lamoni'sBFF
captain of 100

Post by Lamoni'sBFF »

I wonder why GBH emphatically stated he wasn't prophecying when what he said was so accurate...? The only thing that doesn't correlate exactly is the time. I think he gave his first statement in '98 and then his second in '05 (correct me if I'm wrong). That would mean we only have 2 more years (which very well could be the case) rather than 5 more if you say it started in '08 when the collapse did. I have wondered if him stating that was because the type wouldn't be an exact correlation on the time. In other words, the collapse did start in '05, but it will take longer than 7 years...only time will tell I guess.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

I do not see it as him saying he was not prophesying, I see it as him saying he was not prophesying of a famine. I truly believe he was prophesying of economic disaster. I have read and re-read that talk so many times and then the talk 7 years later. It appears to me he was prophesying. He used the word portent which means "prophetic indication or significance" He said ""portent (prophetic indication) of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give heed." That was in October 1998.

Lamoni'sBFF
captain of 100

Post by Lamoni'sBFF »

NoGreaterLove wrote:I do not see it as him saying he was not prophesying, I see it as him saying he was not prophesying of a famine. I truly believe he was prophesying of economic disaster. I have read and re-read that talk so many times and then the talk 7 years later. It appears to me he was prophesying. He used the word portent which means "prophetic indication or significance" He said ""portent (prophetic indication) of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give heed." That was in October 1998.
Good point, I didn't think of it that way and that is probably what was not clicking for me.

JerL
captain of 100

Post by JerL »

I do believe that it is a type of things to come. In the year 2006 I was working construction with a man from California. He still kept in touch with his former boss. During the latter half of the year there was a definite slow down in the new construction of homes in So. Cal. Here in Utah we are typically approximately 2 years behind the slow down. So I'm not sure how long we have been in the years of famine.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

The first time GBH addressed the parable of 7 years of plenty / famine was in '98. During that talk, he specifically said he wasn't prophesying. He repeated it again in Oct. 2001. Go back and read the talk and you will see that this time he DIDN'T say he wasn't prophesying. During the next 7 years we saw the greatest expasion of wealth in the history of the worl. Seven years to the month (i.e. Oct 2008) the economic collape occured. Was he prophesying; was he a prophet? Absolutely!

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

he specifically said he wasn't prophesying
You are not finishing the sentence.

"Now, brethren, I want to make it very clear that I am not prophesying, that I am not predicting years of famine in the future. But I am suggesting that the time has come to get our houses in order."

Isnt that what Joseph told Pharaoh? Except he was predicting a famine with Pharaoh.
There is a portent of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give heed.
That is a prophecy, an absolute, you can count on it statement.

Isnt this what Joseph told Pharoah?

He was not prophesying of a famine, but he was prophesying we need to get our houses in order because of stormy weather ahead.

You will notice he starts by quoting pharaohs dream. This dream was given to Pharaoh in order for them to prepare for what was to come.“… What God is about to do he sheweth unto Pharaoh."
So this started the 7 years of plenty for pharaoh and I believe it started the seven years of plenty for us. I do not try to make the prophesy fit the world, I make the world fit the prophecy.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

NoGreaterLove wrote:
he specifically said he wasn't prophesying
You are not finishing the sentence.

"Now, brethren, I want to make it very clear that I am not prophesying, that I am not predicting years of famine in the future. But I am suggesting that the time has come to get our houses in order."

Isnt that what Joseph told Pharaoh? Except he was predicting a famine with Pharaoh.
There is a portent of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give heed.
That is a prophecy, an absolute, you can count on it statement.

Isnt this what Joseph told Pharoah?

He was not prophesying of a famine, but he was prophesying we need to get our houses in order because of stormy weather ahead.

You will notice he starts by quoting pharaohs dream. This dream was given to Pharaoh in order for them to prepare for what was to come.“… What God is about to do he sheweth unto Pharaoh."
So this started the 7 years of plenty for pharaoh and I believe it started the seven years of plenty for us. I do not try to make the prophesy fit the world, I make the world fit the prophecy.

With all due respect to Pres. Hinckley I could have told you that there was a portent of stormy weather ahead at the turn of the century and I just make stupid movies for a living. Govt was out of control and society was spiraling downward in all its hedonistic glory with Bubba and the wicked witch of the north at the helm. I am surprised the Lord didn't just send a comet at the time to put the earth out of its misery. :shock:

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

In October conference 2001 he says:
“I cannot forget the great lesson of Pharaoh’s dream of the fat and lean kine and of the full and withered stalks of corn.”

“I do not believe the time is here when an all-consuming calamity will overtake us.”

In conference October 2005, his main theme was the calamities that are and will take place. Here are a couple of quotes.

“We know, of course, that the rain falls on the just as well as the unjust”

“Let us never lose sight of the dream of Pharaoh concerning the fat cattle and the lean, the full ears of corn, and the blasted ears; the meaning of which was interpreted by Joseph to indicate years of plenty and years of scarcity (see Genesis 41:1–36).”

Notice he almost commands us to never lose sight of the dream. Why so much emphasis on this dream?

The timing of 7 years difference between the 1998 talk and the 2005 talk emphasizing pharaohs dream are not coincidence. I believe 1998 was the warning of plenty and to prepare and the 2005 was the, here it is, I told you so talk.

The talk in 2001 was saying, pay attention to Pharaohs dream, but the all consuming calamity is not on us yet.

So if I am right about this, then
Oct 1998-Sept 2005 plenty
Oct 2005-Sept 2012 stormy weather

Remember he is prophet for the world, so we can not look upon this from a U.S. only perspective.

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

durangout wrote:The first time GBH addressed the parable of 7 years of plenty / famine was in '98. During that talk, he specifically said he wasn't prophesying. He repeated it again in Oct. 2001. Go back and read the talk and you will see that this time he DIDN'T say he wasn't prophesying. During the next 7 years we saw the greatest expasion of wealth in the history of the worl. Seven years to the month (i.e. Oct 2008) the economic collape occured. Was he prophesying; was he a prophet? Absolutely!
Arizona's colapse started in 06.

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

Prophecy - Inspired words of a prophet about a future event. lds.org

I don't think he was giving a prophecy for anything specific like he mentioned but I am sure he was inspired that it was time for us to get our house in order. I think President Hinkley in this case chose not to prophecy to us of why but put the disclaimer in their so we wouldn't jump to conclusions that would cause us to panic.

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

Timelines are so frustrating. I still am curious about the whole 98/05 talks and definitely think they were prophecy (a prophet was speaking in General Conference), and try to prepare based on those prophecies. However, as far as whether there is a correlation to the same 7 year principles, yes--only time will tell.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

NoGreaterLove wrote:In conference October 2005, his main theme was the calamities that are and will take place. Here are a couple of quotes.

“We know, of course, that the rain falls on the just as well as the unjust”
Crap! Now how are we going to know who the real saints are vs. who the pretenders are? Luke?? :P

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

We all know it's raining... and hard, on all of us.
I believe Pres. Hinckley told us over and over to prepare with our time of plenty to be ready for a time of reckoning so to say. Too many get caught up in.... when did he mean and exactly how long did he mean... is it a famine or is it something else. Did he mean us or the saints somewhere else... or did he really mean those who are not saints? In the mean time, it slips right past us and many of the saints continue to build bigger homes and go deeper in debt and rely more and more on a corrupt and ever more intrusive government.
I believe our time to prepare is past us and we need to be doing everything we can to put our houses in order.
Food Storage
Personal Righteousness
Financial Security
Service to our Brothers and Sisters
and of course, the all important.. one last trip to Vegas!

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Scarecrow wrote:
Could it be that the financial collapse in the fall of 2008 was the beginning of seven years of hardship or scarcity after seven years of prosperity and plenty? What might we learn from Joseph’s history if we hypothetically considered the possibility of seven “blasted years” from 2008 to 2015? What if a careful study of Joseph’s history during the famine and after it could reveal parallel situations and principles of truth of great value to us in navigating successfully through our current turbulent period of history?
http://www.ldsmag.com/articles/100422egypt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The article went missing? :-\

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

The article went missing? :-\[/quote]

I'm so impressed that you dug into the archive far enough to look at a seven year old thread that I searched for the article in question. Here's a current link:
http://ldsmag.com/article-1-397/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

brianj wrote:
BeNotDeceived wrote:http://www.ldsmag.com/articles/100422egypt.html

The article went missing? :-\
I'm so impressed that you dug into the archive far enough to look at a seven year old thread that I searched for the article in question. Here's a current link:
http://ldsmag.com/article-1-397/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you!

Interesting stuff for sure.