Fear or Faith: are we prepping the Lord's way?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

Fear or Faith: are we prepping the Lord's way?

Post by LatterDayLizard »

The more I study and ponder the scriptures and the words of modern prophets, the more uncomfortable I am becoming with the direction the current "prepper" trend is taking us, especially as members of the church.

Where should our focus be?

My understanding, after careful study, is:
1) it's the Lord's desire for as many as possible to embrace His gospel before the end comes and He wants us to be earnestly engaged in that work,
2) the church is to be refined and the faithful tried and tested,
3) we must prepare ourselves temporally, however,
4) our primary focus should be filling our lamps in preparation to meet Christ and to build Zion.

I'm not seeing anywhere in these scriptures where hunkering down militantly is any part of the Lord's latter-day narrative. It's clear there will be storms and dangers where we will have to "hunker down" at times and endure persecution, but it does not appear to be the primary focus. I am seeing a divide here among members and it troubles me. It's as if what the prophets are saying today is not strong enough for some, while the notion that we should be diligently preparing is not on the radar for others. I think the truth, as always, is found in aligning ourselves with Christ, who stands at the center. The scriptures, prophets, and prayer are provided for that very purpose.

As I've studied this out for myself, the counsel I've been given echoes that of a birthing coach. When a woman is in labor, you often hear things from her coach like "focus on the baby", "breathe", "you're almost there!" and "it's coming!". I'm seeing that same coaching coming to us from the Lord through his scriptures, during general conference, and in those moments when I'm humble and prayerful.

"Focus on Zion and breathe! We're almost there." And in that day when it gets so intense it seems I can't bear it any longer, the joyful news: "He's coming!" How beautiful is that! How merciful it is if we keep our eyes focused on Christ!

It's no wonder President Hinkley was such an optimist.

President Benson brought us a clear, strong warning, perhaps because the time to repent as a nation was coming to an end and we needed to be reminded once again to prepare temporally. What followed his message was series upon series of "spiritual prepper" talks and new curriculum, meatier and deeper than it had ever been. President Hinkley's push to get temples out to as many as possible went right along with that theme. This was the time when my faith and testimony grew the most.

Currently there is a push towards being able to provide for ourselves temporally, my scripture study has opened up in new and exciting ways, and our general conferences have felt more than ever like drinking from a spiritual fire hose.
What I'm not seeing is a major, primary focus on amassing huge supplies beyond what will be "sufficient for our needs". I see nothing to indicate we will turn our backs on those in need. Rather, I see a people being taught how to share our time, our talents, and our resources with the rest of God's children. I see us being taught how to love. What greater prep for becoming a zion people could there be?"

"And from that time forth there were wars and bloodshed among them; but the Lord came and dwelt with his people, and they dwelt in righteousness.
The fear of the Lord was upon all nations, so great was the glory of the Lord, which was upon his people. And the Lord blessed the land, and they were blessed upon the mountains, and upon the high places, and did flourish.
And the Lord called his people Zion, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them.
And Enoch continued his preaching in righteousness unto the people of God."

-Moses 7:16-19

Finally, there's President Monson, the storyteller. He's the grandfather who uses stories to teach his grandchildren, only I have been finding his stories teach more deeply than I was perceiving at first. Revisiting those stories more studiously and pondering what the Lord wants me to glean from them through the Spirit is more advanced gospel instruction than I realized, and shows me how the Lord's expectation is rising as we receive so much more than any generation has ever been blessed to receive.

Truly the Lord has a sermon to preach to those who reject and separate themselves from Him. It's going to be brutal. And yes, we need to follow the counsel of the prophets by getting our temporal affairs in order and our personal stores stocked, per the counsel we've received. But as followers of Christ, if we would be faithful, let's not get caught up exclusively in that more ominous message while ignoring the generous gifts we are being offered through His prophets of peace, clarity and purpose. We have been commanded to spread the GOOD news and to not be troubled:

"Behold, I speak these things unto you for the elect’s sake; and you also shall hear of wars, and rumors of wars; see that ye be not troubled, for all I have told you must come to pass; but the end is not yet."
- JST Matthew vs 23

If we spend our days pursuing only bad news, there will be no room left for hope and we will find ourselves weighed down unnecessarily, at best. At worst we may find, as a tragic irony, we've stepped away from God and have positioned ourselves where the brunt of those dire predictions will be experienced. If we use up our oil to make popcorn so we can watch Ninevah burn from the front row, there may be no oil to spare for the wedding feast.

JT1
captain of 10

Re: Fear or Faith: are we prepping the Lord's way?

Post by JT1 »

Excellent post. I agree!

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Would you like to read a dissenting opinion?

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

brianj wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 7:23 pm Would you like to read a dissenting opinion?
Expound please.

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

brianj wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 7:23 pm Would you like to read a dissenting opinion?
I prefer yes men. ;)

lyanne7
captain of 10

Post by lyanne7 »

Finally! I totally agree. These groups AVOW JULIE ROWE are turning into cults prepping based on fear. Years ago I listened to a class taught by Roger Young. I went away feeling sick, scared, I felt conflicted with some of what he said. I later got a priesthood blessing and was told that much was untrue and exaggerated to sell products, I believe that is in the realm of priestcraft. I heard from someone that had been around the Julie Rowe cult, she walks around with bodyguards, her followers will do anything she says, and if you disagree or question the group drops you and disassociates quickly.
I think some people truly are inspired to prep extra, because they in their hearts will share and give...this is ZION. I like what was said In Suzanne Freemans NDE account, She saw that those who hoarded and did not share their food storage turned rancid, filled with bugs eventually having to throw out there food. those that shared the food seemed to never run out. We are supposed to learn faith, trust and relying on God. Trying to "save yourself" not under the direction of the spirit is coming from Lucifer.
Funny about this idea that Rexburg being a safe haven, i used to have dreams before i knew about all this last day NDE stuff of seeing a nuclear explosion in southern idaho.
I was disgusted with some of Chad Daybell wording at this prepare a people thing, They sound like the Zoramites, how grateful they are that they are going to be the ones building Zion, how only they are awake, how God will use them....encouraging a separation from the main body of the church. i think they are going to be surprised that many in the "unawake" crowd are actually more aware than they realize but are holding fast to "The Rod" not walking down foreign paths like these groups are doing. A Prophet with authority (not Denver) Prophesizes ...Those without authority Predict...who are you going to listen to!
If your going to Prep, practice how to use solar ovens etc Do it under the direction of the spirit please people...If you live in fear you are not able to hear the spirit.

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

Does Julie really have a following like that? Bodyguards and a kinda Jim Jonesish fearing people and all? Wow

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

lyanne7 wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 7:06 am If you live in fear you are not able to hear the spirit.
Yep, exactly.