We NOW are ~17 years into the 7th Seal

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Re: We NOW are ~17 years into the 7th Seal

Post by freedomforall »

All the speculation on this thread and all other threads like it, timing of future events, make me cringe. There is one post by Robin Hood that I agree with where he says that no man knows when the Savior will come. I add to it that not even the angels in heaven know when. See D&C 49:7

In every thread dealing with signs of the times I find that no one mentions that before Christ comes all the continents will be joined back together. See Gen 10:25 and D&C 133:24

Another issue is the length of time between the fall of Adam and the end of the world. First off we must pose a question. This may sound silly but is the meridian of time related to earth time or God's time? If it is earth time, and we figure Christ came 4000 years after the fall, then it stands to reason there is 4000 years after Christ, thus, 8000 years from beginning to the end with Christ in the middle...so a 7000 year span does not cut it.

Concerning God's time, how many here know that when God told Adam he would die before one day was spent, He was referring to His time, not earth time. See Abr 5:13 This explains the hundreds of years those people lived at that time. Therefore, when did God's time change to earth time? At the time the Ark came to rest on soil? And based on this time change taking place approximately 1000 years after the fall, does this affect the duration of earth's existence until the end? See Rev 21:1

Now consider that we are told that the span of time between the end of Christ's reign and the end of the world is called "little season." See Rev 20:3

Based on this info we can conclude that the Millennium can occur any time between the year 2000 AD and 4000 AD. I think of this 2000 year span like a scale. One steps onto a platform and the doctor's aid slides a weight back and forth until the bar stops in the middle of the weight readout space. Now imagine the slider is the Millennium being slid on the bar until at some point it comes to rest somewhere near the end of the bar. Thus we have only several hundred years until the end of the earth as we know it, based on when the Millennium ends.

To me, this is why it is fruitless to speculate when events are to occur, knowing the angels don't even know when the Millennium will come about. Scriptures tell us to watch the heavens and signs of the times, but not to place a time of occurrence on them.

Some of this is my opinion and not gospel fact. Scriptures speak for themselves. My 0.02 cents.

Thank you.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

freedomforall wrote: March 29th, 2017, 5:06 pm All the speculation on this thread and all other threads like it, timing of future events, make me cringe. There is one post by Robin Hood that I agree with where he says that no man knows when the Savior will come. I add to it that not even the angels in heaven know when. See D&C 49:7

In every thread dealing with signs of the times I find that no one mentions that before Christ comes all the continents will be joined back together. See Gen 10:25 and D&C 133:24

Another issue is the length of time between the fall of Adam and the end of the world. First off we must pose a question. This may sound silly but is the meridian of time related to earth time or God's time? If it is earth time, and we figure Christ came 4000 years after the fall, then it stands to reason there is 4000 years after Christ, thus, 8000 years from beginning to the end with Christ in the middle...so a 7000 year span does not cut it.

Concerning God's time, how many here know that when God told Adam he would die before one day was spent, He was referring to His time, not earth time. See Abr 5:13 This explains the hundreds of years those people lived at that time. Therefore, when did God's time change to earth time? At the time the Ark came to rest on soil? And based on this time change taking place approximately 1000 years after the fall, does this affect the duration of earth's existence until the end? See Rev 21:1

Now consider that we are told that the span of time between the end of Christ's reign and the end of the world is called "little season." See Rev 20:3

Based on this info we can conclude that the Millennium can occur any time between the year 2000 AD and 4000 AD. I think of this 2000 year span like a scale. One steps onto a platform and the doctor's aid slides a weight back and forth until the bar stops in the middle of the weight readout space. Now imagine the slider is the Millennium being slid on the bar until at some point it comes to rest somewhere near the end of the bar. Thus we have only several hundred years until the end of the earth as we know it, based on when the Millennium ends.

To me, this is why it is fruitless to speculate when events are to occur, knowing the angels don't even know when the Millennium will come about. Scriptures tell us to watch the heavens and signs of the times, but not to place a time of occurrence on them.

Some of this is my opinion and not gospel fact. Scriptures speak for themselves. My 0.02 cents.

Thank you.
Boy am I glad you ended with THAT.

Zion2080
captain of 100

Post by Zion2080 »

TBH this thread should stop. All of the obviousness that:

1. We don't know what hour

2. We are not in the 7th Seal

Is giving me a headache.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

freedomforall wrote: March 29th, 2017, 5:06 pm Another issue is the length of time between the fall of Adam and the end of the world. First off we must pose a question. This may sound silly but is the meridian of time related to earth time or God's time? If it is earth time, and we figure Christ came 4000 years after the fall, then it stands to reason there is 4000 years after Christ, thus, 8000 years from beginning to the end with Christ in the middle...so a 7000 year span does not cut it.
Human mortality on this earth during the time of testing will be closer to 8000 years after the space of time that Satan is loosed and the judgement of the billions of people that have lived on the earth. So, Christ coming in the meridian of time falls in fine with there being 4000 years before he came to earth. Meridian also means it doesn't have to be exactly in the middle mathematically, the time split can be asynchronous.
Charles7 wrote: March 29th, 2017, 6:54 am In Section 20 the Lord said he wanted the Church established on the sixth day of April because it would be “one thousand eight hundred and thirty years (1830) since the coming of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the flesh.”

“Which church was organized and established in the year of your Lord eighteen hundred and thirty, in the fourth month, and on the sixth day of the month which is called April.” 17

So if our calendar is accurate and apparently approved by the Lord, there is no question about the date of the opening of the seventh seal and the half hour of silence in heaven.

IT WILL COMMENCE IN THE YEAR 2000 AD. We are now approximately 17 years into the 7th SEAL
The calendar is accurate enough now. I personally think that the 30minutes of silence from heaven started in 2001. President Hinckley said at October 2001 conference that the vision of Joel had been fulfilled. There have been two massive earthquakes since 2001, the Indonesian and the Japanese one. The effects of both have reverberated spiritually and physically around the world. Nuclear radiation from the Japanese quake has been detected even here on the West coast of North America. If there is an even bigger quake that's supposed to summon the Trump of the 7th seal, I'm not looking forward to that!
freedomforall wrote: March 29th, 2017, 5:06 pm In every thread dealing with signs of the times I find that no one mentions that before Christ comes all the continents will be joined back together. See Gen 10:25 and D&C 133:24
That takes place after His Second Coming in Jerusalem.
The hearts of men have turned to their fathers in fulfillment of the words of Malachi. The vision of Joel has been fulfilled
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng
In two small sentences, President Hinckley stated two last day prophecies had been fulfilled. It's been 16 years since that talk.
“God will temper the climate, and we shall build a city and a temple to the Most High God in this place. We will extend our settlements to the east and west, to the north and to the south, and we will build towns and cities by the hundreds, and thousands of the Saints will gather in from the nations of the earth. This will become the great highway of the nations. Kings and emperors and the noble and wise of the earth will visit us here” (in Preston Nibley, Brigham Young: The Man and His Work [1936], 128).

We have witnessed the fulfillment of that prophecy in these recent days.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... d?lang=eng
Yet another last day's prophecy fulfilled. There aren't many left to be fulfilled!
“I will hasten my work in its time” (D&C 88:73).
We've had another last days prophecy fulfilled in 2012 with the hastening of the gospel being spread. Obviously, the reason for a hastening compared to the missionary effort since 1830 is because time is running out.

I also find it ironic to the point of it being symbolic that Paul called the start of each seal a trump and now we literally have the most powerful man on the earth today called Trump!

I believe that the total solar eclipse on August 21st, 2017 is quite the sign and then almost 7 years later another one?!
Last edited by Sunain on March 29th, 2017, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

DesertWonderer wrote: March 29th, 2017, 5:59 pmBoy am I glad you ended with THAT.
Well one opinion is as good as another. I'm merely being honest and candid in my confession. It is very disturbing to have anyone come on here and give such and such opinions and call them, or at the least, imply them as facts. The Millennium will come when it comes, knowing that there is a little season (much less than 1000 years...seven hundred, four hundred, two hundred, ????) at the end. So the question arises "how long is the little season in terms of a time frame. This factor cannot be ignored in trying to determine when everything will happen prior to the Millennium, or when it can begin.

The best, all around answer to the $64,000 question of when the Millennium will begin is................TOMORROW, tomorrow.

What is the sense behind stirring up trepidation and worry over opinions that are based on guesses?

There are still a lot of events that must happen before Christ comes.

7 Things That Still Need to Happen Before the World Ends...page one

7 Things That Still Need to Happen Before the World Ends...page 2
Last edited by freedomforall on March 29th, 2017, 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

freedomforall wrote: March 29th, 2017, 6:38 pm There are still a lot of events that must happen before Christ comes.

A lot of that article has been proven inaccurate. Many of those points are actually post second coming events.

The article is written by the writer of the book he wants to sell while the gospel principles and institute manuals literally state the complete opposite to some of his points.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Sunain wrote: March 29th, 2017, 6:45 pm
freedomforall wrote: March 29th, 2017, 6:38 pm There are still a lot of events that must happen before Christ comes.

A lot of that article has been proven inaccurate. Many of those points are actually post second coming events.
So much for opinions written as facts, right? Thanks for the clarification.

At some point, however, there are two prophets that will be killed and then rise three days later.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

No The fith seal started when the law of Moses came to an end. 7th seal starts in 2033, none of the events of the 6th seal have occurred.
Last edited by Spaced_Out on March 29th, 2017, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

(-|
cappaccio wrote: March 29th, 2017, 3:53 pm I'm with Alaris. Its like we are about to head over the top of the roller coaster, the back end is just about to hit the crescendo, then its ALL DOWN HILL from there!

then we hit the bottom and can rejoice when we can ascend with Jesus Christ at the helm
I imagine people felt the same way right after the Great Depression and when the world was on fire during WWII.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

It sure would be nice if all opinions matched. Then there would be something to take to the bank.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

"Examples: D&C 88:94-95

Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet at Kirtland, Ohio, December 27 and 28 of 1832, and January 3, 1833.

(94) And another angel shall sound his trump, saying: That great church, the mother of abominations, that made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, that persecuteth saints of God, that shed their blood--she who sitteth upon many waters, and upon the islands of the sea--behold, she is the tares of the earth; she is bound in bundles; and her bands are made strong, no man can loose them; therefore, she is ready to be burned. And he shall sound his trump both long and loud and all nations shall hear it.

(95) And there shall be silence in heaven for the space of half an hour; and immediately after shall the curtain of heaven be unfolded; as a scroll is unfolded after it is rolled up, and the face of the Lord shall be unveiled;

Now, the burning of the "That great church who sitteth upon many waters (vs 94) is a 6th seal event that leads up to A-O-A. At the opening of the 7th seal, a half an hour silence in heaven commences. (Reference Rev. 8:1) John says that when he opened the 7th seal there was silence in the heaven for the space of half an hour. So, a half an hour in the Lord's time would be 21 years in our time. Because the events in verse 94 are 6th seal, and happen before the opening of the 7th seal, there will be a gap of at least 21 years between the events in these two verses.
"
"A Year With No Rainbow" by Frank M. Keele"
viewtopic.php?t=31847
:-B

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

Zion2080 wrote: March 29th, 2017, 9:15 am I'm sorry to say that we are simply not! Too much has to happen. We would've seen WW3 already...
Here is another post from another thread you must read:
We are in the 6th seal until the following occur

start of the building of New Jerusalem.
144,000 called.
Missionaries called home
Worldwide earthquake
10 tribes return. Period

Read the D&C regarding the 144K.. they are high priest called to preach the gospel D&C 77:10-11

Dont listen to this charles pretty sure zion2080 is an apostate or non lds. Given his other posts, including this one.

waverider
captain of 50

Post by waverider »

Zion2080 wrote: March 29th, 2017, 2:14 pm Any countries I left out?
I see a couple that are left off:
There is a branch in Afghanistan, Egypt, Morocco, Lebanon
Branches and a mission in Vietnam

I think you might be able to find others at this site:
http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/statistics/units/world/

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Different wrote: March 30th, 2017, 3:29 am
Zion2080 wrote: March 29th, 2017, 9:15 am I'm sorry to say that we are simply not! Too much has to happen. We would've seen WW3 already...
Here is another post from another thread you must read:
We are in the 6th seal until the following occur

start of the building of New Jerusalem.
144,000 called.
Missionaries called home
Worldwide earthquake
10 tribes return. Period

Read the D&C regarding the 144K.. they are high priest called to preach the gospel D&C 77:10-11

Dont listen to this charles pretty sure zion2080 is an apostate or non lds. Given his other posts, including this one.
He is only 16-17 years old.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Spaced_Out wrote: March 29th, 2017, 8:33 pm none of the events of the 6th seal have occurred.
From 2001-

The vision of Joel has been fulfilled wherein he declared:

“And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

“And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

“And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.

“The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the Lord come.

“And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the Lord hath said, and in the remnant whom the Lord shall call” (Joel 2:28–32).

Gordon B Hinckley

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Sunain wrote: March 29th, 2017, 6:07 pm
freedomforall wrote: March 29th, 2017, 5:06 pm Another issue is the length of time between the fall of Adam and the end of the world. First off we must pose a question. This may sound silly but is the meridian of time related to earth time or God's time? If it is earth time, and we figure Christ came 4000 years after the fall, then it stands to reason there is 4000 years after Christ, thus, 8000 years from beginning to the end with Christ in the middle...so a 7000 year span does not cut it.
Human mortality on this earth during the time of testing will be closer to 8000 years after the space of time that Satan is loosed and the judgement of the billions of people that have lived on the earth. So, Christ coming in the meridian of time falls in fine with there being 4000 years before he came to earth. Meridian also means it doesn't have to be exactly in the middle mathematically, the time split can be asynchronous.
Charles7 wrote: March 29th, 2017, 6:54 am In Section 20 the Lord said he wanted the Church established on the sixth day of April because it would be “one thousand eight hundred and thirty years (1830) since the coming of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the flesh.”

“Which church was organized and established in the year of your Lord eighteen hundred and thirty, in the fourth month, and on the sixth day of the month which is called April.” 17

So if our calendar is accurate and apparently approved by the Lord, there is no question about the date of the opening of the seventh seal and the half hour of silence in heaven.

IT WILL COMMENCE IN THE YEAR 2000 AD. We are now approximately 17 years into the 7th SEAL
The calendar is accurate enough now. I personally think that the 30minutes of silence from heaven started in 2001. President Hinckley said at October 2001 conference that the vision of Joel had been fulfilled. There have been two massive earthquakes since 2001, the Indonesian and the Japanese one. The effects of both have reverberated spiritually and physically around the world. Nuclear radiation from the Japanese quake has been detected even here on the West coast of North America. If there is an even bigger quake that's supposed to summon the Trump of the 7th seal, I'm not looking forward to that!
freedomforall wrote: March 29th, 2017, 5:06 pm In every thread dealing with signs of the times I find that no one mentions that before Christ comes all the continents will be joined back together. See Gen 10:25 and D&C 133:24
That takes place after His Second Coming in Jerusalem.
The hearts of men have turned to their fathers in fulfillment of the words of Malachi. The vision of Joel has been fulfilled
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng
In two small sentences, President Hinckley stated two last day prophecies had been fulfilled. It's been 16 years since that talk.
“God will temper the climate, and we shall build a city and a temple to the Most High God in this place. We will extend our settlements to the east and west, to the north and to the south, and we will build towns and cities by the hundreds, and thousands of the Saints will gather in from the nations of the earth. This will become the great highway of the nations. Kings and emperors and the noble and wise of the earth will visit us here” (in Preston Nibley, Brigham Young: The Man and His Work [1936], 128).

We have witnessed the fulfillment of that prophecy in these recent days.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... d?lang=eng
Yet another last day's prophecy fulfilled. There aren't many left to be fulfilled!
“I will hasten my work in its time” (D&C 88:73).
We've had another last days prophecy fulfilled in 2012 with the hastening of the gospel being spread. Obviously, the reason for a hastening compared to the missionary effort since 1830 is because time is running out.

I also find it ironic to the point of it being symbolic that Paul called the start of each seal a trump and now we literally have the most powerful man on the earth today called Trump!

I believe that the total solar eclipse on August 21st, 2017 is quite the sign and then almost 7 years later another one?!

What say you about September 23rd?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

96walker wrote: March 29th, 2017, 12:06 pm So..... If the 7th seal was opened on April 6th, 2000, and if 1000 years equals one day in our Heavenly Father's eyes, the thirty minute period of silence will end about 20.83 years after April 6th. That would be on or about February 3rd, 2021. That is some pretty fascinating stuff. What exactly are the events that happen after the 30 minutes of silence? Is that when the turd hits the fan, or is that when our Savior steps foot on Mount Olive? Basically, do the 7 years of tribulation start then, or end then? FYI, I am not saying that I necessarily agree with this, I am just theorizing and speculating.
D&C says a space of a half an hour but Revelations says "about the space of half an hour." I doubt it's exactly 30 minutes. Based on other scriptures I think it's longer than half an hour because they read that the saints will say Christ delays his coming.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

freedomforall wrote: March 29th, 2017, 6:38 pm
DesertWonderer wrote: March 29th, 2017, 5:59 pmBoy am I glad you ended with THAT.
Well one opinion is as good as another. I'm merely being honest and candid in my confession. It is very disturbing to have anyone come on here and give such and such opinions and call them, or at the least, imply them as facts. The Millennium will come when it comes, knowing that there is a little season (much less than 1000 years...seven hundred, four hundred, two hundred, ????) at the end. So the question arises "how long is the little season in terms of a time frame. This factor cannot be ignored in trying to determine when everything will happen prior to the Millennium, or when it can begin.

The best, all around answer to the $64,000 question of when the Millennium will begin is................TOMORROW, tomorrow.

What is the sense behind stirring up trepidation and worry over opinions that are based on guesses?

There are still a lot of events that must happen before Christ comes.

Millet's article is disappointing for an LDS scholar. Here's a brea kdwon of his 7 things that must happen first before He comes again goes:

1 He is incorrect about this
2 it has been fulfilled
3 yet to be fulfilled (although i"m not completely sure o the meaning of the versus he quotes)
4 he is incorrect about this too
5 it has been fulfilled
6 yet to be fulfilled
7 it has been fulfilled

So, no, not much left to happen.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Someone explain what these verses reveal, for this is an event, apparently, that is to occur before the second coming. I guess a better way of posing this is to ask "what and where is the mountain of the Lord?" Notice, too, that the Lord "hates the wicked."

JST, Psalm 11:1–5. Compare Psalm 11:1–5
In the last days the righteous will flee to the mountain of the Lord. When the Lord comes, He will destroy the wicked and redeem the righteous.

1 In that day thou shalt come, O Lord; and I will put my trust in thee. Thou shalt say unto thy people, for mine ear hath heard thy voice; thou shalt say unto every soul, Flee unto my mountain; and the righteous shall flee like a bird that is let go from the snare of the fowler.

2 For the wicked bend their bow; lo, they make ready their arrow upon the string, that they may privily shoot at the upright in heart, to destroy their foundation.

3 But the foundations of the wicked shall be destroyed, and what can they do?

4 For the Lord, when he shall come into his holy temple, sitting upon God’s throne in heaven, his eyes shall pierce the wicked.

5 Behold his eyelids shall try the children of men, and he shall redeem the righteous, and they shall be tried. The Lord loveth the righteous, but the wicked, and him that loveth violence, his soul hateth.

RAB
captain of 100

Post by RAB »

It is important to remember that Psalms was written by David, a fallen king. Therefore, I would not take anything written in Psalms as particularly prophetic, but more of the pleadings of a King trying to find favor with the Lord again. That being said, generally speaking the mountain of the Lord is the temple. Even David had it right that going to the temple gives us strength against the tools of the adversary and the trials designed for us to improve while in this life. The world will fall, Christ will return, and eventually there will be a final judgement. I don't really see anything in this as second coming prophesy. It seems more like what David wanted to happen at the first coming of the Messiah.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

freedomforall wrote: March 30th, 2017, 11:29 am Someone explain what these verses reveal, for this is an event, apparently, that is to occur before the second coming. I guess a better way of posing this is to ask "what and where is the mountain of the Lord?" Notice, too, that the Lord "hates the wicked."
It is ANY temple.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

DesertWonderer wrote: March 30th, 2017, 12:35 pm
freedomforall wrote: March 30th, 2017, 11:29 am Someone explain what these verses reveal, for this is an event, apparently, that is to occur before the second coming. I guess a better way of posing this is to ask "what and where is the mountain of the Lord?" Notice, too, that the Lord "hates the wicked."
It is ANY temple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkSz2s4dThk

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

DesertWonderer wrote: March 30th, 2017, 12:35 pm
It is ANY temple.
Makes perfect sense.
I am reminded of something I heard way back in the 70's. I may butcher the recount but I'll do my best to be accurate.
While in church one Sunday, a speaker, I think it was the SP, said something like this:

There were some bad things about to happen and temple recommend holders scurried to all the temples around the SLC area seeking safety. People were pouring into the temples, yet many were outside waving their recommend to a fro so they could enter, but were told they could not enter because they were not living up to their covenants AND were not respectful to their spouses. I think it was the men getting the worst of it because they were not being kind, patient or honoring their wives. Consequently, they never did get into the temple.
A great lesson was taught that left an impression on my heart. I, for one, am still trying o be kinder, more patient and loving to my wife.

A recommend means nothing unless we live up to our covenants and striving to live by every word coming out of the mouth of God, past, present and future.

It is great food for thought brethren!

Beautiful song, btw.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

According to this verse we are not even into the sixth seal yet.

Rev. 6:12
12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

There has not been a great earthquake.
The sun has not been blackened.
The moon has appeared quite reddish at times due to crud in the air, but I don't think this is what is to happen when the moon looks like blood. Who knows for certain, right?

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

freedomforall wrote: March 30th, 2017, 1:41 pm According to this verse we are not even into the sixth seal yet.

Rev. 6:12
12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

There has not been a great earthquake.
The sun has not been blackened.
The moon has appeared quite reddish at times due to crud in the air, but I don't think this is what is to happen when the moon looks like blood. Who knows for certain, right?
What about the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-1812? Over 2,000 earthquakes, three over 8.0 magnitude, rocked the eastern half of the US over 5 months; the first 2 large ones occurring the same day (December 16th). Accounts from people who experienced the quakes firsthand have a biblical flavor: The land undulated; chasms opened and swallowed horses and cows whole; the Mississippi ran backward; and smoke, sand, and vapor obscured the sun. One of the most profound observations by those who witnessed these events have to do with a strange darkness that ensued after each earthquake shock. They wrote of three days of this darkness wherein the “sun, moon and stars were concealed” by a “dense black cloud of vapor” that “overshadowed the land.”