PREVENT THE SEVERING OF THE REMAINING THREAD

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: PREVENT THE SEVERING OF THE REMAINING THREAD

Post by lundbaek »

I appreciate this topic and the interest in reviving it. The shredding of the US Constitution and the destruction of the American constitutional republic has been carried out by people of wealth and power working against the best interests of the United States in conspiring with others around the world to build an integrated global political and economic structure - a "one world", as David Rockefeller proudly called it in his book "MEMOIRS". (Pg 405). Nephi and Moroni warned us about the secret combinations that would exist in our time. Latter-day LDS Church prophets and apostles also warned us of them: I can cite especially President Benson, President Packer, President Clark, Elder McConkie, Elder Faust, Elder Joseph Fielding Smith, and Elder Worthlin. If these Church leaders considered important that we be warned about secret combinations and conspiracies, it might be a idea for us to look into these things as well.

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

freedomforall wrote:
FTC wrote:
freedomforall wrote:Along these lines, I was reminded of how some people have in their PB that they'll live to see the Savior's return while in the flesh. It is vague to me, however, as to how old they could be right now. This is not to say that many young people couldn't live for this glorious day, it's just hearing of such a blessing that is intriguing. I doubt many people over sixty will have this blessing in the flesh. But maybe our time in the grave will be short.

In order to tie all this together, there are a lot of events yet to come and I hope I can live to see the Constitution saved. I'm getting real tired of having to see the downfall of America day after day week after week and year after year. I'd like to see something victorious for a change so that my faith can be ratified or confirmed, whatever the right word is.
Contrary to what one might think, the longer time goes, the less people are told about being around during the Second Coming.

https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-cont ... N03_11.pdf
Do you mean just prior to the 2nd Coming rather than during? Resurrected people will be with Christ starting at the beginning of His rein. Just wondering. :-\
The article makes specific mention to "Remain until Second Coming" and "See 'last days'". Read up. Its quite the indepth analysis.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Montana’s Natural Man back in court again. Exclusive coverage.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

dconrad000 wrote: May 18th, 2015, 8:33 pm ...reposting this from the previous page...
dconrad000 wrote:I appreciate your comments, guys. Thank you.

I think the final thread gets broken when our military is kicking down your door, and hauling you off to an internment camp. That's why I think the Oathkeeper's movement is so important and could help at least prevent the severing of that final thread.

...reposting the opening post, here.

dconrad000 wrote:PREVENT THE SEVERING OF THE REMAINING THREAD

Here is one simple thing that would prevent the severing of the remaining thread, by which the Constitution is now hanging:

Oath keepers: Declaration of Orders We Will Not Obey (9:12 min)

(If the link does not open, copy/paste it into your internet browser and click enter.)

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zztaj2AFiy8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(If you have any trouble with the link, go to youtube.com and in their search window type the phrase, Oath Keepers.)

A Word From Sheriff Richard Mack (7:38 min)

(If the link does not open, copy/paste it into your internet browser and click enter.)

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLJgPuNAh60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(If you have any trouble with the link, go to youtube.com and in their search window type the phrase, Oath Keeper Sheriff Richard Mack.)

Please consider forwarding this by e-mail to all your contacts -- especially to any in law enforcement or in the military.

May God bless patriots everywhere, and the Constitutional Republic of these United States.

http://www.drdaveconrad.com/bio.html
Last edited by dconrad000 on March 13th, 2018, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

...bump...

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

Thanks, Lundbaek. Courageous man.

Part 1: Kevin Shipp, CIA Officer Exposes the Shadow Government

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

...bump...

friendsofthe
captain of 1,000

Post by friendsofthe »

SwissMrs&Pitchfire wrote: December 12th, 2009, 11:21 pm
“Will the Constitution be destroyed? No; it will be held inviolate by this people; and, as Joseph Smith said, ‘the time will come when the destiny of the nation will hang upon a single thread. At this critical juncture, this people will step forth and save it from the threatened destruction.’ It will be so.” (Journal of Discourses 7:15 (1854)
“In connection with the attack on the United States, the Lord told the Prophet Joseph Smith there would be an attempt to overthrow the country by destroying the Constitution. Joseph Smith predicted that the time would come when the Constitution would hang as it were by a thread, and at that time, ‘this people will step forth and save it from the threatened destruction.’ It is my conviction that the Elders of Israel, widely spread over the nation, will, at that crucial time, successfully rally the righteous of our country and provide the necessary balance of strength to save the institutions of Constitutional government. Now is the time to get ready.” (Conference Reports-10/61:70)
Nice quote... "In connection with the attack on the United States, (The abomination of desolation on the Gentiles, thermonuclear in nature) the Lord told the Prophet Joseph Smith there would be an attempt to overthrow the country by destroying the Constitution."

However, the Lord will come shortly after the Abomination of desolation and "this people will step forth and save it from the threatened destruction". That is "the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end. And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High."

The saints shall then be in a position to re-establish constitutional rule because they will be in charge.... nice!

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

"How can the elders be expected to save it(the Constitution) if they have not studied it and are not sure if it is being destroyed or what is destroying it?"

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

lundbaek wrote: February 7th, 2019, 12:59 pm "How can the elders be expected to save it(the Constitution) if they have not studied it and are not sure if it is being destroyed or what is destroying it?"
My view: Because despite the fact that many think that event is right around the corner, that event might yet be 100 - 500 years away. And in the mean-time, those in our country who are fighting against the modern-day-secret-combination will have their ups and downs with respect to that battle. Things certainly look better now, than they did three years ago, thanks to divine providence, which has assisted the events that have transpired over those past three years. And one day, we can assume, the elders will be ready and be in a position to participate in saving the constitution. My observation is that the majority of them certainly don't appear to be in such a position -- knowledge-wise, or action-wise, yet. But that fits with where we are in God's plan, for now. In my view, things are going along just as they should be. There's no need to get too uptight about it. When the time is right, the elders will be prepared. They'll have the extra motivation that they need, to get ready and be ready when the time is right. God will help see to it. See the following post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9823

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I joined the Church in February 1960 and still remember well the strong admonitions Re. the Constitution and freedom/liberty of especially Presidents McKay, Clark,, and Benson. It certainly seemed to me that in those days there was hope on their part that the Church members would study, espouse, and promote the principles of the US Constitution (in the tradition of the Founding Fathers or as the Constitution was meant to be understood, and Presidents Benson and McKay expressed). By way of example, President McKay instructed then BYU Professor W. Cleon Skousen to establish what became the Freedom Institute for the purpose of, among other things, teaching Church members and non-members alike the principles of the Constitution. Ezra Taft Benson, as an Apostle and later as the Prophet and President of the Church endorsed that organization and urged Church members to, among other things, "learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers" and get involved in the political process. I believe Presidents McKay, Clark, and Benson were trying to rally the members to action in ways that would draw non-members into the freedom battle. If there was no more hope then than there is now, why did they bother? I was around then and believed it could have been accomplished. But it seemed to me that the Latter-day Saints failed America in that regard. Since President Benson, it seemed that the admonitions pretty much ceased, as the "murderous combinations" warned by Moroni, got more firmly above us. It seems to me that the Church general authorities have been silenced on the subject of the Constitution and freedom/liberty, and I believe this is to spare the Church from retribution from that "murderous combination" that would disrupt the main mission of the Church. So as I sees it, the subject of the Constitution and freedom/liberty (other than religious freedom, which cannot long survive without certain other freedoms which we are losing) are not promoted anywhere near the way they were up until the first years of President Benson's term as Church President. I hope I am wrong, but I do not expect to hear any more from the First Presidency until after the cleansing of America. But on the up-side, I believe there are a good number of Church members and non-members who are working to bring to the attention of others the importance of the Constitution, and in so doing are creating a "remnant" that will, after the cleansing, be prepared to help restore constitutional principles to our government.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

...bump...

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Responsibility of Latter-day Saints to the U.S. Constitution

Latter-day Saints have a responsibility to the Lord to do our best to insure that laws are made, and so administered, to insure “to each individual the free exercise of conscience, the right and control of property, and the protection of life.” (D&C 134:1-2). Therefore, it would seem wise for us to learn what the Lord and latter-day prophets and apostles have said about the proper role of government, or the principles of the government which the Lord has given us.

We know that the American Founding Fathers, in framing the United States Constitution as the “blueprint” for the government of the new nation, were inspired in their work by the Lord, Jesus the Christ. (D&C 101:80). Therefore, it would seem logical that we should carefully (even prayerfully) consider at least some of what He, through His prophets and apostles, has told us about the Constitution. So let’s do that.

In the October 1962 General Conference, President David O. McKay counselled: "[Above] all else, strive to support good and conscientious candidates of either party who are aware of the great dangers inherent in communism, and who are truly dedicated to the Constitution in the tradition of our founding fathers." And in “A Letter from the First Presidency” of 2 November 1964, was the statement that “We have urged you, above all, to try to support good and conscience candidates...who are truly dedicated to the Constitution in the tradition of our fathers.”

In the April 1976 General Conference, Elder Ezra Taft Benson told us that “We should understand the Constitution as the founders meant that it should be understood. We can do this by reading their words about it, such as those contained in the Federalist Papers. Such understanding is essential if we are to preserve what God has given us.” And speaking as the Prophet in the October 1987 General Conference he told us in no uncertain terms that “We must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers.” And the prophet followed that statement with the suggestion that reading the “Federalist Papers” would be helpful in that endeavour. And it may well be fair to say that the word “must” makes learning the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers a commandment to us.

What is meant by saying that Latter-day Saints must learn, uphold and abide by the principles of the US Constitution as the Founders meant it to be understood, or in the tradition of the Founding Fathers ? To my mind, one of the best constitutionalists in the Church was the late Jerome Horowitz, author of the book THE ELDERS OF ISRAEL AND THE CONSTITUTION, which was recommended in the April 1972 General Conference. But his later book, THE GOSPEL KEY TO OUR TRUE CONSTITUTION was written, I believe, to address this very question. In the beginning of Chapter 1, Brother Horowitz explains that “[T]he United States has two Constitutions. One is the Framers’ Constitution – the written Constitution that was ratified by the people. The second Constitution is the Supreme Court’s Constitution.” He cautions that while “[T]he Framers’ Constitution involves a small federal government”, and “makes state authority supreme over federal authority in most matters of daily life”, “The Supreme Court’s Constitution involves a pervasive federal government...that exercises compulsory authority even over local matters within the individual states”, and empowers the f3ederal government to exercise supervisory control over the state governments, even to the extent of dictating what religious practices it will permit, and what laws the states must adopt and enforce.” Further study of this issue is recommended by purchase of the book or reading the PDF version of THE GOSPEL KEY TO OUR TRUE CONSTITUTION is accessible at http://www.inspiredconstitution.org/jh_gk/index.html

Another easy-to-understand explanation of this subject is found in the Boy Scouts of America CITIZENSHIP IN THE NATION pamphlet, Page 19. “Written words in the Constitution can be changed or added through the formal amendment process described in Article V.....In the informal amendment process, changes in the Constitution take place over time without altering or adding to the written words. These informal amendments develop as a result to congressional legislation, presidential actions, Supreme Court decisions, activities of positicl parties, and custom.”

When President Heber J. Grant called J. Reuben Clark to become a member of the First Presidency in 1934 (He was to serve three Church Presidents in that position over a period of twenty-seven years), President Grant reportedly told him he was called to that position because he was “the best constitutionalist in the Church” In the October 1942 General Conference, President Clark said “So, Brethren, I wish you to understand that when we begin to tamper with the Constitution we begin to tamper with the law of Zion which God Himself set up, and no one may trifle with the word of God with impunity.”

Very little has been said in recent years by Church authorities about the United States Constitution and the responsibility of Latter-day Saints to learn, uphold, and adhere to its principles. Nevertheless, among my personal goals is doing what I can toward helping to prepare a people to restore the American government to its proper role of protecting our God-given and inalienable rights when opportunity arises . And this includes making Latter-day Saints aware of what I consider our divinely mandated responsibilities to study, uphold and abide by the principles of the US Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers, or as the Founders meant it to be understood, and to understand and support the proper role of government according to gospel principles. But my charming personality being what it is, I occasionally find myself embroiled in controversy regarding what I consider the importance of our doing so in a time when political freedom and our understanding and adhering to the principles of the U.S. Constitution are clearly not prophetic priorities. Brother Jerome Horowitz has given me what I consider the best reasons for the silence from Church authorities on this subject. He wrote to me, “Confirming our telephone conversation I think the Church is cautious about openly participating in freedom promotion activities partly because of concern about government retribution that might unduly hinder its primary religious mission and partly because so many members have been indoctrinated to favor federal dominance and federal welfare and regulation that there is concern that a strong constitutional position might split the Church.”

Yet, in the course of a KSL5 radio interview in 2014, Elder Dallin H. Oaks was asked “Do you think that religious and secular people understand the constitutional guarantees of freedom of religion?” His reply included the statement “But I see it as a responsibility for well-educated citizens, members of the bar and opinion leaders to be acquainted with the United states Constitution and its guarantees.”

So one might well wonder “What should I do?” “What is my personal responsibility to the U.S. Constitution?” To answer that question properly, I can only recommend considering a statement by President Russell M. Nelson in the April 2018 General Confeerence: "My beloved brothers and sisters, I plead with you to increase your spiritual capacity to receive revelation. ... In coming days, it will not be possible to survive without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost.”

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

lundbaek wrote: July 27th, 2019, 4:31 pm Responsibility of Latter-day Saints to the U.S. Constitution

So one might well wonder “What should I do?” “What is my personal responsibility to the U.S. Constitution?” To answer that question properly, I can only recommend considering a statement by President Russell M. Nelson in the April 2018 General Confeerence: "My beloved brothers and sisters, I plead with you to increase your spiritual capacity to receive revelation. ... In coming days, it will not be possible to survive without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost.”

That's the key right there, Lundbaek. You've hit the nail absolutely, right on the head.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

The Constitution is in Danger

In the opening address of the October 1987 General Conference, President Ezra Taft Benson asked this question: "Do we know what prophets have said about the Constitution and the threats to it?" Actually, there exists an avalanche of statements by the Lord Jesus Christ, and latter-day prophets and apostles about the United States Constitution and its special significance to Latter-day Saints. And many of those statements refer to statements attributed to the Prophet Joseph Smith about the U.S. Constitution being in jeopardy and being rescued by efforts involving members of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints. I have selected and quoted below such statements by eight latter-day Presidents of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Joseph Smith

“Even this nation will be on the very verge of crumbling to pieces and tumbling to the ground and when the Constitution is on the brink of ruin this people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction....I know these things by the visions of the Almighty." (July 19, 1840, as recorded by Martha Jane Knowlton Coray; manuscript in Church Historian's Office, Salt Lake City)

"The time will come when the constitution and government would hang by a brittle thread and would be ready to fall into other hands but this people the latter-day Saints will step forth to save it." (May 1843, James Burgess Journal, 1818-1904, Church Archives, vol. 1)

Brigham Young

"Will the Constitution be destroyed? No: it will be held inviolate by this people; and as Joseph Smith said, "The time will come when the destiny of the nation will hang upon a single thread. At that critical juncture, this people will step forth and save it from the threatened destruction." It will be so." (July 4, 1854, Journal of Discourses, 7:15)

"When the Constitution of the United States hangs, as it were, upon a single thread, they will have to call for the "Mormon" elders to save it from utter destruction; and they will step forth and do it." (February 18, 1855, Journal of Discourses, 2:182)

John Taylor

"...we have been told by Joseph Smith that when the people of this nation would trample upon the Constitution, the Elders of this Church would rally round the flag and defend it." (October 19, 1884, Journal of Discourses, 25:349-50)

"We have prophecies something like this somewhere, that the time would come when this nation would do as they are now doing - that is, they would trample under foot the Constitution and institutions of the nation, and the Elders of this Church would rally around the standard and maintain those principles which were introduced for the freedom and protection of men. We expect to do that, and to maintain all correct principles." (February 1, 1885, Journal of Discourses, 26:156)

"During the lifetime of the Prophet Joseph Smith he predicted that the time would come when it would devolve upon the Latter-day Saints to uplift, defend and maintain the Constitution of the United States." (May 26, 1855, Messages of the First Presidency, 3:12-14)

Wilford Woodruff

"It is also part of our belief that the time will come when the country will be distracted and general lawlessness prevail. Then the Mormon people will step forward and take an active part in rescuing the nation from ruin." (December 16, 1889, Millennial Star, 50:788)

Lorenzo Snow

"They will sustain the constitution and the laws and institutions of the United States, and be the champions of liberty and of that constitution when its integrity shall be threatened," (September 15, 1898, Journal History of the Church, 3)

Joseph F. Smith

"Joseph Smith, the prophet, predicted that the time would come, when the Constitution of our country would hang as it were by a thread, and that the Latter-day Saints, above all other people in the world, would come to the rescue of that great and glorious palladium of our liberty." (October 1912, General Conference)

Harold B. Lee

"I concluded by calling attention to the prophecy of Joseph Smith that "the Constitution would hang as by a thread....if such a downfall of the Constitution were imminent, the righteousness of this people might again importune the Almighty to save it because of their pleadings." (August 5, 1973, Bonneville Stake meeting; comments from President Lee's diary, as recorded in Harold B. Lee: Prophet and Seer, 531-32)

Ezra Taft Benson

"We are fast approaching that moment prophesied by Joseph Smith when he said: "Even this nation will be on the very verge of crumbling to pieces and tumbling to the ground and when the Constitution is on the brink of ruin this people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction." (October 1987 General Conference) (July 19, 1840, as recorded by Martha Jane Knowlton Coray; manuscript in Church Historian's Office, Salt Lake City)

In the October 1987 General Conference, President Ezra Taft Benson said: "I desire, therefore, to speak to you about our divine Constitution, which the Lord said “belongs to all mankind” (D&C 98:5; italics added) “and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles” (D&C 101:77)…...“I established the Constitution of this land,” said the Lord, “by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose” (D&C 101:80).

In October 1941, the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Presidents Heber J. Grant, J. Reuben Clark, and David O. McKay signed a letter to a U.S. government official that contained the following statement. "In the first place, we should tell you that it is a part of the doctrine of the Latter-day Saints, as much a part as any other tenet of their religion, that the Lord Himself "established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood", and that this Constitution "should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles."

Is this doctrine obsolete now?

In the April 2018 General Conference, President Nelson stated "My beloved brothers and sisters, I plead with you to increase your spiritual capacity to receive revelation." In trying to follow this counsel, I have become more convinced that this is not obsolete doctrine, but has become not less, but more important now.
Lundbaek

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

As sent to me via e-mail from Lundbaek. Thanks for putting this together, Lundbaek.

THE SPECIAL IMPORTANCE OF THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION TO LATTER-DAY SAINTS.

Below is the Introduction, or Section 1, of a series of 5 articles I have compiled using recorded statements of the Lord, Jesus the Christ, and latter-day prophets that address THE SPECIAL IMPORTANCE OF THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION TO LATTER-DAY SAINTS. If you find this interesting and would like to receive the following 4 sections, please let me know. I will send them one at a time, a day or so apart, so as not to burden you with a long read on a monitor screen. Also, that way it will be easier for you to share part or all of it with family and friends. I realize this is not a popular subject with most people, although to some folks it is an important concern. I do not want to annoy anyone with this, hence I'm asking you to let me know by reply email if you would like to get the other sections, or articles. It's important to me to know how this is received and how I can better motivate/encourage other Latter-day Saints to have the desire to learn, uphold, and abide by the principles of the US Constitution. In other words, I'm trying this out on you few people first.

Each section is fairly short, comprised of some of the most significant statements by the Lord and latter-day Prophets about the U.S. Constitution.
Sect. 2: What the Lord Jesus the Christ Has Told Us About the U.S. Constitution
Sect. 3: What Latter-day Prophets Have told Us About the U.S. Constitution
Sect. 4: The Constitution is in Danger
Sect. 5: Responsibility of Latter-day Saints to the U.S. Constitution

THE SPECIAL IMPORTANCE OF THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION TO LATTER-DAY SAINTS
Introduction
In October of 1941 the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints received letter of September 30, 1941 from a William C. FitzGibbon, Defense Savings Staff, Treasury Department, Washington, D. C., requesting that the Church endorse and support the Defense Savings Program. The reply of the First Presidency, signed by Presidents Heber J. Grant, J. Reuben Clark, and David O. McKay, to Mr. FitzGibbon outlining its position in declining the request, a little-known but lengthy and powerful letter, emphasizes a tenet of the Latter-day Saint faith that is very seldom discussed in church now, namely the special importance of the United States Constitution to Latter-day Saints. The following statements within that letter that address this and related tenets are quoted below.

"The people therefore believe that the President of the Church, his counselors, and the Council of the Twelve Apostles have a right to the revelations of the Lord as to the conduct of the Church and the members thereof; that the Lord actually speaks through them as the result of the revelations which He gives them; and that therefore the members are under obligation, when the President of the Church speaks, to follow his advice and counsel."

“In the first place, we should tell you that it is a part of the doctrine of the Latter-day Saints, as much a part as any other tenet of our religion, that the Lord Himself “established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood”, and that this Constitution “should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and hole principles.” Our people believe that they have a special relationship to the Constitution and its preservation.”

"We believe that governments were instituted of God for the benefit of man; and that he holds men accountable for their acts in relation to them, both in making laws and administering them, for the good and safety of society.”

"We believe that no government can exist in peace, except such laws are framed and held inviolate as will secure to each individual the free exercise of conscience, the right and control of property, and the protection of life.”

"Now we have said all of the foregoing with a complete understanding in our own minds that we have said nothing or little of anything that may now be of practical value, but this much we feel we can definitely say, that unless the people of America forsake the sins and the errors, political and otherwise, of which they are now guilty and return to the practice of the great fundamental principles of Christianity, and of Constitutional government, there will be no exaltation for them spiritually, and politically we shall lose our liberty and free institutions."

A draft of the complete subject letter can be read at http://www.connorboyack.com/blog/images/fp_1941.pdf Brother Connor Boyack, whom I met while my wife and I were on a family history mission at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City in 2006, ferreted this letter out from a collection of documents he found tucked away at a library at the University of Utah.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

What the Lord Jesus the Christ Has Told Us About the U.S. Constitution (Section 2 of 5)

"For it is wisdom in the Father that they should be established in this land, and be set up as a free people by the power of the Father...." (Revelation given to Nephi, son of Helaman, 3 Nephi 21:4)

“And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose." (D&C 101:80).

In the April 1935 General Conference, President J. Reuben Clark stated: "To me...that statement of the Lord, "I have established the Constitution of this land," puts the Constitution of the United States in the position in which it would be if it were written in this book of Doctrine and Covenants itself. This makes the Constitution the word of the Lord to us. That it was given, not by oral utterance, but by the operation of his mind and spirit upon the minds of men, inspiring them to the working out of this great document of human government, does not alter its authority...." Hopefully, it is clear that the United States Constitution sprang from our Creator and not from government. The Lord Jesus the Christ is the real author of the Constitution of the United States of America, even though He suffered those American colonials to work out its wording, even with some now-agreed upon imperfections, for nearly four months in a secluded room in Philadelphia with no air conditioning, the same room in which the Declaration of Independence was discussed, voted on, finalized, and signed by a total of fifty-six delegates representing all of the thirteen original American colonies, eleven years earlier.

President Ezra Taft Benson wrote on Page 1 of THE CONSTITUTION - A HEAVENLY BANNER, published in 1986: "It would be erroneous for us, however, to conclude that the document was the sole genius of the Founding Fathers. Theirs was a combined wisdom derived from heavenly inspiration, knowledge of political government from ages past, and the crucible of their own experience. We pay honor - honor to the document itself, honor to the men who framed it, and honor to the God who inspired it and made possible its coming forth.”

"[The] laws and constitution of the people, which I have suffered to be established..., should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles;” (D&C 101:77).

According to statements in the Doctrine and Covenants and recorded statements especially of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, Orson Pratt, John Taylor, Melvin J. Ballard, J. Reuben Clark, Harold B. Lee, and Ezra Taft Benson, (too extensive to include here) it appears that God committed to Americans the task of learning and upholding the principles of the U.S. Constitution as it was intended to be understood by the Lord, such that by example those principles would reverberate to other nations "for the rights and protection of all flesh", where people would desire to live by its precepts and choose to be governed by them, and those principles would be established forever. Interesting it is that those statements were given specifically to Latter-day Saints.

"...may those principles, which were so honorably and nobly defended, namely, the Constitution of our land, by our fathers, be established forever." (D&C 109:54, included in the prayer at the dedication of the Kirtland Temple, as given the Prophet Joseph Smith by revelation.)

In D&C 109:54 one reads that the Lord intended that "those principles, which were so honorably and nobly defended, namely, the Constitution of our land, by our fathers, be established forever." This is immensely significant, as it confirms that "[T]he Constitution's role goes beyond providing a free nation in which the gospel and true Church could be restored to the earth once again. The Constitution will become the governing system for the whole world during the Millennium." (Christopher S. Bentley, A GLORIOUS STANDARD FOR ALL MANKIND, Pg. 2). Also, hopefully, this helps us better understand the statement of the Prophet Joseph Smith, which has since been paraphrased or referred to by several other latter-day prophets, that "...when the Constitution is on the brink of ruin this people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction.” (19 July 1840, as recorded by Martha Jane Knowlton Coray; Manuscript in the Church Historians Office, Salt Lake City). Later prophets and apostles quoted or paraphrased this statement on several occasions.

"And now, verily I say unto you concerning the laws of the land, that it is my will that my people should observe to do all things whatsoever I command them. And that law of the land which is constitutional, supporting that principle of freedom in maintaining rights and privileges, belongs to all mankind, and is justifiable before me. Therefore, I, the Lord, justify you, and your breth-ren of my church, in befriending that law which is the constitutional law of the land; And as pertaining to law of man, whatsoever is more or less than this, cometh of evil." (D&C 98:4-7)

Simply put, “The saints are to befriend the constitutional law of the land.”

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

What Latter-day Prophets Have Told Us About the U.S. Constitution

In the October 1987 General Conference, President Benson asked: “How then can we best befriend the Constitution in this critical hour and secure the blessings of liberty and ensure the protection and guidance of our Father?” He then proceeded to tell us.

“First and foremost, we must be righteous. John Adams said, “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” (The Works of John Adams, ed. C. F. Adams, Boston: Little, Brown Co., 1851, 4:31). If the Constitution is to have continuance, this American nation, and especially the Latter-day Saints, must be virtuous. The Book of Mormon warns us relative to our living in this free land: “Wherefore, this land is consecrated unto him whom he shall bring. And if it so be that they shall serve him according to the commandments which he hath given, it shall be a land of liberty unto them; wherefore, they shall never be brought down into captivity; if so, it shall be because of iniquity; for if iniquity shall abound cursed shall be the land for their sakes, but unto the righteous it shall be blessed forever” (2 Ne. 1:7). “And now,” warned Moroni, “we can behold the decrees of God concerning this land, that it is a land of promise; and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall serve God, or they shall be swept off when the fullness of his wrath shall come upon them. And the fullness of his wrath cometh upon them when they are ripened in iniquity” (Ether 2:9). Two great American Christian civilizations—the Jaredites and the Nephites—were swept off this land because they did not “serve the God of the land, who is Jesus Christ” (Ether 2:12). What will become of our civilization?

“Second, we must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers. Have we read The Federalist papers? Are we reading the Constitution and pondering it? Are we aware of its principles? Are we abiding by these principles and teaching them to others? Could we defend the Constitution? Can we recognize when a law is constitutionally unsound? Do we know what the prophets have said about the Constitution and the threats to it? As Jefferson said, “If a nation expects to be ignorant and free … it expects what never was and never will be” (Letter to Colonel Charles Yancey, 6 Jan. 1816).

“Third, we must become involved in civic affairs to see that we are properly represented. The Lord said that “he holds men accountable for their acts in relation to them” [governments] “both in making laws and administering them” (D&C 134:1). We must follow this counsel from the Lord: “Honest men and wise men should be sought for diligently, and good men and wise men ye should observe to uphold; otherwise whatsoever is less than these cometh of evil” (D&C 98:10).

“Fourth, we must make our influence felt by our vote, our letters, our teaching, and our advice. We must become accurately informed and then let others know how we feel. The Prophet Joseph Smith said: “It is our duty to concentrate all our influence to make popular that which is sound and good, and unpopular that which is unsound. ‘Tis right, politically, for a man who has influence to use it. … From henceforth I will maintain all the influence I can get” (History of the Church, 5:286).

Note well that President Benson, speaking as a prophet, told us five things that we MUST do:

“We must be righteous.”

“We must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers.”

“We must become involved in civic affairs.”

“We must make our influence felt by our vote, our letters, our teaching, and our advice.”

“We must become accurately informed and let others know how we feel.”

“We encourage Latter-day Saints throughout the nation to familiarize themselves with the Constitution. They should focus attention on it by reading and studying it. They should ponder the blessings that come through it. They should recommit themselves to its principles and be prepared to defend it and the freedom it provides. (D&C 109:54.) . We believe the Constitution will stand, but it will take the efforts of patriotic and dedicated Americans to uphold it. . . . We, as Latter-day Saints, must be vigilant in doing our part to preserve the Constitution and safeguard the way of life it makes possible. (From a First Presidency statement in January 1987).

"In the revelation he [the Lord] gave to the Prophet Joseph Smith, he said “And now, verily I say unto you concerning the...law of the land which is constitutional, supporting that principle of freedom in maintaining rights and privileges, [that it] belongs to all mankind and is justifiable before me.” [D&C 98:4-6]. (President Spencer W. Kimball, April 1974 General Conference).

"We urge members of the Church and all Americans to begin now to reflect more intently on the meaning and importance of the Constitution, and of adherence to its principles.
(President Harold B. Lee, November 1973, The First Presidency Statement on the Constitution}.

"We therefore commend and encourage every person and every group who is sincerely seeking to study Constitutional principles and awaken a sleeping and apathetic people to the alarming conditions that are rapidly advancing about us." (President David O. McKay, April 1966 General Conference)

"[Above] all else, strive to support good and conscientious candidates of either party who are aware of the great dangers inherent in communism, and who are truly dedicated to the Constitution in the tradition of our founding fathers." (President David O. McKay, October 1962 General Conference)

“Next to being one in worshiping God, there is nothing in this world upon which this Church should be more united than in upholding and defending the Constitution of the United States," (President David O. McKay, February 1956, The Instructor, 91:34)

"I am saying to you that to me the Constitution of the United States of America is just as much from my Heavenly Father as the Ten Commandments." (President George Albert Smith, April 1948 General Conference)

“I thank God that we believe that the constitution of our country was given to us under the inspiration of the living God,..." (Heber J. Grant, October 1924 General Conference).

"...we believe that the men who wrote the Constitution of this country were inspired of the living God." (President Heber J. Grant, October 1919 General Conference)

"By revelation to Joseph Smith, the Prophet, the Lord declared that he had established the Constitution of the United States through "wise men raised up unto this very purpose." (President Joseph F. Smith, March 26, 1907, Messages of the First Presidency, 4:150).

"[The Church’s] members are under divine commandments to revere the Constitution as a heaven-inspired instrument." (President Wilford Woodruff, December 12, 1889, Messages of the First Presidency.)

"We believe that the Constitution of the United States was given by inspiration of God" (President John Taylor, April 9, 1882, Journal of Discourses, 23:53).

"The General Constitution of our country is good, and a wholesome government could be framed upon it, for it was dictated by the invisible operations of the Almighty...." (President Brigham Young, July 4, 1854, Journal of Discourses 7:13-14).

“Even this nation will be on the very verge of crumbling to pieces and tumbling to the ground and when the Constitution is on the brink of ruin this people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction....I know these things by the visions of the Almighty." (The Prophet Joseph Smith, July 19, 1840, as recorded by Martha Jane Knowlton Coray; manuscript in Church Historian's Office, Salt Lake City).

"The time will come when the constitution and government would hang by a brittle thread and would be ready to fall into other hands but this people the latter-day Saints will step forth to save it." (The Prophet Joseph Smith, May 1843, James Burgess Journal, 1818-1904, Church Archives, vol. 1)

In the opening address of the October 1987 General Conference, President Benson asked this question: "Do we know what prophets have said about the Constitution and the threats to it?" Actually, most prophets in this dispensation have emphasized the special importance of the United States Constitution and the vital importance of Latter-day Saints learning, upholding, defending and adhering to its principles. In that same address, President Benson said: "I desire, therefore, to speak to you about our divine Constitution, which the Lord said "I established the Constitution of this land..." (D&C 101:80), "belongs to all mankind" (D&C 98:5), "should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles" (D&C 101:77), and was to "be established forever." (D&C 109:54).

"I testify that America is a choice land. God raised up the founding fathers of the United States of America and established the Constitution." (President Ezra Taft Benson, October 2, 1988 General Conference)

"The Constitution under which we live....is our God-inspired national safeguard insuring freedom and liberty, justice and equality before the law." (President Gordon B. Hinckley, October 2001 General Conference)

"During a period in Church history when many Latter-day Saints were being denied the protection of the Constitution, Joseph Smith wrote: "The Constitution of the United States is a glorious standard; it is founded in the wisdom of God. It is a heavenly banner."......The men who framed the Constitution were directed by the Spirit of the Lord in establishing the basic freedoms guaranteed the citizens of this country....Unless we members of the Church do all we can to preserve the freedoms we have, within the bounds of the laws of God, we will be held accountable." ..."The Constitution was established through the inspiration of God to preserve the liberty of the people and to maintain his promise." (Principles of the Gospel, Page 135-136, Page 146-147, Published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1991).

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

The Constitution is in Danger

In the opening address of the October 1987 General Conference, President Ezra Taft Benson asked this question: "Do we know what prophets have said about the Constitution and the threats to it?" Actually, there exists an avalanche of statements by the Lord Jesus Christ, and latter-day prophets and apostles about the United States Constitution and its special significance to Latter-day Saints. And many of those statements refer to statements attributed to the Prophet Joseph Smith about the U.S. Constitution being in jeopardy and being rescued by efforts involving members of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints. I have selected and quoted below such statements by eight latter-day Presidents of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Joseph Smith

“Even this nation will be on the very verge of crumbling to pieces and tumbling to the ground and when the Constitution is on the brink of ruin this people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction....I know these things by the visions of the Almighty." (July 19, 1840, as recorded by Martha Jane Knowlton Coray; manuscript in Church Historian's Office, Salt Lake City)

"The time will come when the constitution and government would hang by a brittle thread and would be ready to fall into other hands but this people the latter-day Saints will step forth to save it." (May 1843, James Burgess Journal, 1818-1904, Church Archives, vol. 1)

Brigham Young

"Will the Constitution be destroyed? No: it will be held inviolate by this people; and as Joseph Smith said, "The time will come when the destiny of the nation will hang upon a single thread. At that critical juncture, this people will step forth and save it from the threatened destruction." It will be so." (July 4, 1854, Journal of Discourses, 7:15)

"When the Constitution of the United States hangs, as it were, upon a single thread, they will have to call for the "Mormon" elders to save it from utter destruction; and they will step forth and do it." (February 18, 1855, Journal of Discourses, 2:182)

John Taylor

"...we have been told by Joseph Smith that when the people of this nation would trample upon the Constitution, the Elders of this Church would rally round the flag and defend it." (October 19, 1884, Journal of Discourses, 25:349-50)

"We have prophecies something like this somewhere, that the time would come when this nation would do as they are now doing - that is, they would trample under foot the Constitution and institutions of the nation, and the Elders of this Church would rally around the standard and maintain those principles which were introduced for the freedom and protection of men. We expect to do that, and to maintain all correct principles." (February 1, 1885, Journal of Discourses, 26:156)

"During the lifetime of the Prophet Joseph Smith he predicted that the time would come when it would devolve upon the Latter-day Saints to uplift, defend and maintain the Constitution of the United States." (May 26, 1855, Messages of the First Presidency, 3:12-14)

Wilford Woodruff

"It is also part of our belief that the time will come when the country will be distracted and general lawlessness prevail. Then the Mormon people will step forward and take an active part in rescuing the nation from ruin." (December 16, 1889, Millennial Star, 50:788)

Lorenzo Snow

"They will sustain the constitution and the laws and institutions of the United States, and be the champions of liberty and of that constitution when its integrity shall be threatened," (September 15, 1898, Journal History of the Church, 3)

Joseph F. Smith

"Joseph Smith, the prophet, predicted that the time would come, when the Constitution of our country would hang as it were by a thread, and that the Latter-day Saints, above all other people in the world, would come to the rescue of that great and glorious palladium of our liberty." (October 1912, General Conference)

Harold B. Lee

"I concluded by calling attention to the prophecy of Joseph Smith that "the Constitution would hang as by a thread....if such a downfall of the Constitution were imminent, the righteousness of this people might again importune the Almighty to save it because of their pleadings." (August 5, 1973, Bonneville Stake meeting; comments from President Lee's diary, as recorded in Harold B. Lee: Prophet and Seer, 531-532)

Ezra Taft Benson

"We are fast approaching that moment prophesied by Joseph Smith when he said: "Even this nation will be on the very verge of crumbling to pieces and tumbling to the ground and when the Constitution is on the brink of ruin this people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction." (October 1987 General Conference) (July 19, 1840, as recorded by Martha Jane Knowlton Coray; manuscript in Church Historian's Office, Salt Lake City)

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Responsibility of Latter-day Saints to the U.S. Constitution

So little is mentioned now about liberty and the U.S. Constitution in meetings in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that one might justifiably wonder if members of the Church really do have a responsibility to the Lord to do their best to insure that laws are made, and so administered, to insure “to each individual the free exercise of conscience, the right and control of property, and the protection of life.” (D&C 134:1-2). Therefore, it would seem wise for us to learn what the Lord and latter-day prophets and apostles have said in this connection.

We know that the American Founding Fathers, in framing the United States Constitution as the “blueprint” for the government of the new nation, were inspired in their work by the Lord, Jesus the Christ. (D&C 101:80). Therefore, it would seem logical that we should carefully (even prayerfully) consider what He, through His prophets and apostles, has told us about our duty to the Constitution. So let’s do that.

In the October 1962 General Conference, President David O. McKay counselled: "[Above] all else, strive to support good and conscientious candidates of either party who are aware of the great dangers inherent in communism, and who are truly dedicated to the Constitution in the tradition of our founding fathers." And in “A Letter from the First Presidency” of 2 November 1964, was the statement that “We have urged you, above all, to try to support good and conscience candidates...who are truly dedicated to the Constitution in the tradition of our fathers.”

In the April 1976 General Conference, Elder Ezra Taft Benson told us that “We should understand the Constitution as the founders meant that it should be understood. We can do this by reading their words about it, such as those contained in the Federalist Papers. Such understanding is essential if we are to preserve what God has given us.” And speaking as the Prophet in the October 1987 General Conference he told us in no uncertain terms that “We must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers.” And the prophet followed that statement with the suggestion that reading the “Federalist Papers” would be helpful in that endeavour. And it may well be fair to say that the word “must” makes learning the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers a commandment to us.

What is meant by saying that Latter-day Saints must learn, uphold and abide by the principles of the US Constitution as the Founders meant it to be understood, or in the tradition of the Founding Fathers? To my mind, one of the best constitutionalists in the Church was the late Jerome Horowitz, author of the book THE ELDERS OF ISRAEL AND THE CONSTITUTION, which was recommended in the April 1972 General Conference. But his later book, THE GOSPEL KEY TO OUR TRUE CONSTITUTION was written, I believe, to address this very question. In the beginning of Chapter One, Brother Horowitz explains that “[T]he United States has two Constitutions. One is the Framers’ Constitution – the written Constitution that was ratified by the people. The second Constitution is the Supreme Court’s Constitution.” He cautions that while “[T]he Framers’ Constitution involves a small federal government”, and “makes state authority supreme over federal authority in most matters of daily life”, “The Supreme Court’s Constitution involves a pervasive federal government...that exercises compulsory authority even over local matters within the individual states”, and empowers the Federal government to exercise supervisory control over the state governments, even to the extent of dictating what religious practices it will permit, and what laws the states must adopt and enforce.” Further study of this issue is recommended by purchase of the book or reading the PDF version of THE GOSPEL KEY TO OUR TRUE CONSTITUTION is accessible at http://www.inspiredconstitution.org/jh_gk/index.html

Another easy-to-understand explanation of this subject is found in the Boy Scouts of America CITIZENSHIP IN THE NATION pamphlet, Page 19. “Written words in the Constitution can be changed or added through the formal amendment process described in Article V.....In the informal amendment process, changes in the Constitution take place over time without altering or adding to the written words. These informal amendments develop as a result to congressional legislation, presidential actions, Supreme Court decisions, activities of political parties, and custom.”

When President Heber J. Grant called J. Reuben Clark to become a member of the First Presidency in 1934 (He was to serve three Church Presidents in that position over a period of twenty-seven years), President Grant reportedly told him he was called to that position because he was “the best constitutionalist in the Church” In the October 1942 General Conference, President Clark said “So, Brethren, I wish you to understand that when we begin to tamper with the Constitution we begin to tamper with the law of Zion which God Himself set up, and no one may trifle with the word of God with impunity.”

True, very little has been said in recent years by Church authorities about the United States Constitution and the responsibility of Latter-day Saints to learn, uphold, and adhere to its principles. Nevertheless, among my personal goals is doing what I can toward helping to prepare a people to restore the American government to its proper role of protecting our God-given and inalienable rights when opportunity arises . And this includes making Latter-day Saints aware of what I consider our divinely mandated responsibilities to study, uphold and abide by the principles of the US Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers, or as the Founders meant it to be understood, and to understand and support the proper role of government according to gospel principles. I occasionally find myself embroiled in controversy regarding what I consider the importance of our doing so in a time when political freedom and our understanding and adhering to the principles of the U.S. Constitution are clearly not prophetic priorities. Brother Jerome Horowitz, LDS author of THE ELDERS OF ISRAEL AND THE CONSTITUTION and THE GOSPEL KEY TO OUR TRUE CONSTITUTION, has given me what I consider the best reasons for the silence from Church authorities on this subject. He wrote to me, “Confirming our telephone conversation I think the Church is cautious about openly participating in freedom promotion activities partly because of concern about government retribution that might unduly hinder its primary religious mission and partly because so many members have been indoctrinated to favor federal dominance and federal welfare and regulation that there is concern that a strong constitutional position might split the Church.”

Yet, in the course of a KSL5 radio interview in 2014, when Elder Dallin H. Oaks was asked “Do you think that religious and secular people understand the constitutional guarantees of freedom of religion?”, his reply included the statement “But I see it as a responsibility for well-educated citizens, members of the bar and opinion leaders to be acquainted with the United states Constitution and its guarantees.”

So one might well wonder “What should I do?” “What is my personal responsibility to the U.S. Constitution?” To answer that question properly, I can only recommend serious consideration of a statement by President Russell M. Nelson in the April 2018 General Conference: "My beloved brothers and sisters, I plead with you to increase your spiritual capacity to receive revelation. ... In coming days, it will not be possible to survive without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost.” In trying to follow that counsel from President Nelson, I have become more convinced that this is not obsolete doctrine, but has become not less, but more important now.

Appendix:

THE UNITED STATES HAS TWO CONSTITUTIONS by the late Jerome Horowitz.
http://www.inspiredconstitution.org/jh_gk/index.html
THE ELDERS OF ISRAEL AND THE CONSTITUTION by Jerome Horowitz
http://www.inspiredconstitution.org/jh_eic/index.html

A draft of the complete aforementioned letter from the First Presidency to Mr. FitzGobbon at the U.S. Treasury can be read at http://www.connorboyack.com/blog/images/fp_1941.pdf Brother Connor Boyack, whom I met while my wife and I were on a family history mission at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City in 2006, ferreted this letter out from a collection of documents he found tucked away at a library at the University of Utah.

I can send you a PDF version of the book A GLORIOUS STANDARD FOR ALL MANKIND by Christopher S. Bentley if you like. Just email me your request (gretheandralph@hotmail.com). Using recorded statements of our Lord, ancient and latter-day prophets and apostles, this outstanding reference work gives the reader greater understanding of the importance of the U.S. Constitution to Latter-day Saints.

Ralph Hughes

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

It is the devils desire that the Lord's priesthood stay asleep while the strings of tyranny gradually and quietly entangle us until, like Gulliver, we awake too late and find that while we could have broken each string separately as it was put upon us, our sleepiness permitted enough strings to bind us to make a rope that enslaves us.

For years we have heard of the role the elders could play in saving the Constitution from total destruction. But how can the elders be expected to save it if they have not studied it and are not sure if it is being destroyed or what is destroying it.

An informed patriotic gentile was dumbfounded when he heard of Joseph Smith's reported prophecy regarding the mission our elders could perform in saving the Constitution. He lived in a Mormon community with nice people who were busily engaged in other activities but had little concern in preserving their freedom. He wondered if maybe a letter should not be sent to President McKay, urging him to release some of the elders from their present Church activities so their would be a few who could help step forward to save the Constitution.

Now it is not so much a case of a man giving up all his other duties to fight for freedom, as it is a case of a man getting his life in balance so he can discharge all of his God-given responsibilities. And of all these responsibilities President McKay has said that we have "no greater immediate responsibility" than "to protect the freedom vouchsafed by the Constitution of the United States."

There is no excuse that can compensate for the loss of liberty.

Now Satan is anxious to neutralize the inspired counsel of the Prophet and hence keep the priesthood off-balance, ineffective and inert in the fight for freedom. He does this through diverse means including the use of perverse reasoning.

For example, he will argue, "There is no need to get involved in the fight for freedom -- all you need to do is live the gospel." Of course this is a contradiction, because we cannot fully live the gospel and not be involved in the fight for freedom.

We would not say to someone, "There is no need to be baptized -- all you need to do is live the gospel." That would be ridiculous because baptism is a part of the gospel.

How would you have reacted if during the War in Heaven someone had said to you, "Look, just do what's right, there is no need to get involved in the fight for free agency." Now it is obvious what the devil is trying to do, but it is sad to see many of us fall for his destructive line.

The cause of freedom is the most basic part of our religion.

Our position on freedom helped get us to this earth, and it can make the difference as to whether we get back home or not.

(Elder Ezra Taft Benson)