Coca-Cola from Heber J Grant

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Coca-Cola from Heber J Grant

Post by AussieOi »

the word of wisdom is a blessing in my life

3 or so versus of what to avoid

7+ verses of healthy living ideals

in 20 years never has the sunday school lesson on it spent less than 40 minutes on the not, and more than 5 minutes on the throw in at the end, what to

Mahonri
Master
Location: Where you want to be when crap hits the fan, but I'm not telling.

Post by Mahonri »

AussieOi wrote:the word of wisdom is a blessing in my life

3 or so versus of what to avoid

7+ verses of healthy living ideals

in 20 years never has the sunday school lesson on it spent less than 40 minutes on the not, and more than 5 minutes on the throw in at the end, what to

Your sunday school lesson actually teaches doctrine? Ours is a history lesson. Heaven forbid we actually learn about the doctrine that lead the Pioneers sacrificed life and limb for.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Isn't the discussion of whether or not coca cola is okay to drink more about judging others? The church leaders have made their position clear: they don't recommend it, but don't prohibit it. Everyone agrees; it's not a health food. So the question is: Will you personally drink it or abstain from drinking it? The right answer to that question will vary from person to person. We only need to worry about our own answer to that question.

Jan333
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Jan333 »

for stopping fluoride, please see

http://www.fluoridealert.org/

about the FLUORIDE ACTION NETWORK

Jan333
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Jan333 »

There is a bill presently going through the federal legislature that will give more power to the FDA by way of its vague wording that might affect all our food supplies and our right to store food

search by way of your browser:

2009 HR2749 Food Safety Enhancement Act

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Harold B. Lee was emphatic that only one person can speak for the Church:

All over the Church you're being asked this: "What does the Church think about this or that?" Have you ever heard anybody ask that question? "What does the Church think about the civil rights legislation?" "What do they think about the war?" "What do they think about drinking Coca-Cola or Sanka coffee?" Did you ever hear that? "What do they think about the Democratic Party or ticket or the Republican ticket?" Did you ever hear that? "How should we vote in this forthcoming election?" Now, with most all of those questions, if you answer them, you're going to be in trouble. Most all of them. Now, it's the smart man that will say, "There's only one man in this church that speaks for the Church, and I'm not that one man."

I think nothing could get you into deep waterquicker than to answer people on these things, when they say, "What does the Church think?" and you want to be smart, so you try to answer what the Church's policy is. Well, you're not the one to make the policies for the Church. You just remember what the Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians. He said, "For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified" (1 Corinthians 2:2). Well now, as teachers of our youth, you're not supposed to know anything except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. On that subject you're expected to be an expert. You're expected to know your subject. You're expected to have a testimony. And in that you'll have great strength. If the President of the Church has not declared the position of the Church, then you shouldn't go shopping for the answer. (Harold B. Lee, Teachings of Harold B. Lee (Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft, 1996}, 445. ISBN 1570082340. GospeLink)

This was recently reiterated by the First Presidency (who now approves all statements published on the Church's official website):

Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency...and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles...counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.
—LDS Newsroom, "Approaching Mormon Doctrine," lds.org (4 May 2007) off-site]

(For further discussion of this principle see: FAIR wiki article: Official Church doctrine and statements by Church leaders.)
http://en.fairmormon.org/Was_Jesus_Chri ... :_The_Seer

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

bobhenstra wrote:I think Asks; "Bob, when Christ comes again, do you plan on sharing a coke with him?"

I'm absolutely positive-- it'll all be gone by then-----------

Bob
Gone!? From shooting, or drinking? :lol:

Mahonri
Master
Location: Where you want to be when crap hits the fan, but I'm not telling.

Post by Mahonri »

Jason wrote:

All over the Church you're being asked this: "What does the Church think about this or that?" Have you ever heard anybody ask that question? "What does the Church think about the civil rights legislation?" "What do they think about the war?" "What do they think about drinking Coca-Cola or Sanka coffee?" Did you ever hear that? "What do they think about the Democratic Party or ticket or the Republican ticket?" Did you ever hear that? "How should we vote in this forthcoming election?" Now, with most all of those questions, if you answer them, you're going to be in trouble. Most all of them. Now, it's the smart man that will say, "There's only one man in this church that speaks for the Church, and I'm not that one man."

I think nothing could get you into deep waterquicker than to answer people on these things, when they say, "What does the Church think?" and you want to be smart, so you try to answer what the Church's policy is. Well, you're not the one to make the policies for the Church. You just remember what the Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians. He said, "For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified" (1 Corinthians 2:2). Well now, as teachers of our youth, you're not supposed to know anything except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. On that subject you're expected to be an expert. You're expected to know your subject. You're expected to have a testimony. And in that you'll have great strength. If the President of the Church has not declared the position of the Church, then you shouldn't go shopping for the answer. (Harold B. Lee, Teachings of Harold B. Lee (Salt Lake City, Utah: Bookcraft, 1996}, 445. ISBN 1570082340. GospeLink)

This was recently reiterated by the First Presidency (who now approves all statements published on the Church's official website):

Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency...and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles...counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.

(For further discussion of this principle see: FAIR wiki article: Official Church doctrine and statements by Church leaders.)
I find it interesting that they say certain things said by the Brethren are not binding upon the members. I tend to agree, unless it fits D&C 107 criteria. But at the same time, if it is true, it should not matter if it was said by a GA acting outside the perimeters. Doesn't it go back to not being commanded in all things? If it is true, and we do nothing about it, aren't we going to be held accountable? I don't think the Lord is going to really except, "It wasn't in the scriptures not to smoke crack" as a good enough reason not to act.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Mahonri wrote:
Jason wrote:

I find it interesting that they say certain things said by the Brethren are not binding upon the members. I tend to agree, unless it fits D&C 107 criteria. But at the same time, if it is true, it should not matter if it was said by a GA acting outside the perimeters. Doesn't it go back to not being commanded in all things? If it is true, and we do nothing about it, aren't we going to be held accountable? I don't think the Lord is going to really except, "It wasn't in the scriptures not to smoke crack" as a good enough reason not to act.
I tend to believe its all a personal matter between oneself and the Lord. Then let the cards shake out where they will. Obviously if I find myself at odds with the Lord's anointed...then I better be fasting and praying to the extent of my abilities. But at the end of the day, I will be the one who accounts for my actions....and if I've done my best to build the relationship with all that entails...it shouldn't be an issue. I am the constraint in the relationship.

Rockhound7
captain of 50

Post by Rockhound7 »

Section 89 is written very plainly, very easy to understand, It's a word of wisdom, not a commandment! "all things in moderation"! It's not a sin to be unwise, wisdom will come sooner or later.

armedtotheteeth
captain of 100

Post by armedtotheteeth »

Jan,
Where can I get fluoride free water?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

armedtotheteeth wrote:

Jan,
Where can I get fluoride free water?
5 stage reverse osmosis filter system

Multi-Pure’s MP750 is one of the best.
Last edited by Anonymous on July 30th, 2009, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

armedtotheteeth
captain of 100

Post by armedtotheteeth »

Ouch! PriceY!!! is there any bottled H2O?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

armedtotheteeth wrote:Ouch! PriceY!!! is there any bottled H2O?
That would be a negative ghost rider! At least to my knowledge...

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

I'm not sure where you live, but I posted earlier that most if not all cities in cache valley (God's country :wink: ) avoid adding fluoride. Just find a city in your area that doesn't add fluoride, then bottle it. I understand Aqua Vista doesn't add chemicals to their spring water. Check them out.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

shadow wrote:
I'm not sure where you live, but I posted earlier that most if not all cities in cache valley (God's country :wink: ) avoid adding fluoride. Just find a city in your area that doesn't add fluoride, then bottle it. I understand Aqua Vista doesn't add chemicals to their spring water. Check them out.
Most of Utah doesn't add fluoride but does contain "natural" levels of fluoride in the water. Check your local water here - http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/MWF/Index.asp

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Great, that site claims my city "has a natural fluoride cencentration below the level considered optimal for the prevention of dental caries (cavities)." 8)

I'm not concerned about the "natural" 0.15 mg/L found in our city water.

Jan333
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Jan333 »

Fluorine is found naturally in water and varies from area to area; it is also found naturally in green tea. However, the Center for Disease Control controls fluoride added to water and you can find the level through your health department.

In Utah I tried finding the level in my town, contacted the Water department here, was referred to Salt Lake City, but eventually traced the way to the Center for Disease Control in Washington, DC by way of the Net. I have not yet contacted the health department locally--the only thing I know is that there are signs here that state that we have an "approved water supply", whatever that means specifically.

I buy different brands of water and am looking into a reverse osmosis filtration system available through Lowe's. If you want to know the level of natural fluorine of a particular bottled water, contact the company that is on the label and they will send you a contents list and amounts of anything in the water they bottle, or sometimes their webpage contains the information (they list natural fluoride instead of fluorine, most people don't know the difference).

Presently I have found Mt. Olympus brand to be reasonably priced bought by the gallon at Walmart( 97 cents a gallon), and I like the taste better than Arrowhead which is also a good brand, but more expensive; either so far have low levels of naturally occuring fluorine in them and don't add fluoride to their bottled water. Some bottled water is labled that it is water from a municipal source which means tap water--Walmart carries a brand that is so labeled. There are probably many good bottled waters on the market, but I hope to get the filtration system because the plastic bottles themselves contain harmful ingredients that leech into the water--but that is another sad topic.

I don't know if in the future all bottled water will be labeled that it has added fluoride, but there is some company that is selling bottled water for babies that says it has added fluoride.
I am only assuming anything added to a bottled water must be labeled as such under the rules of the FDA.

I apologize to many for straying from the topic of Coke, but thought it important for us all to realize what we might be putting into our bodies. If we care about our health, we must question what is on the market and not trust others to do it for us. Sometimes it seems we only concentrate on the level of caffeine in a drink and don't seem to realize that is not the only ingredient we might be ingesting.

I have health issues so I must be very careful--fluoride is a treatment for hyperthyroidism and I have hyPOthyroidsm, which means I have to avoid fluoride because it can lower my thyroid hormones even lower. I must research further on my local water supply, but I think it might have fluoride so I can't take any chances.

Truthandlove
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Truthandlove »

To the chap who was overwrought about Barq's root beer, they do have a caffeine-free version, you know, as do Coke and Mountain Dew. I doubt President Monson was drinking caffeine at a priesthood meeting. You can't bank anything on rumors.

I have seen caffeine-free Diet Coke in Temple cafeterias, but never Barq's. Nevertheless, we needn't panic over anything. Extremism never works. I go to the temple, I am a high priest, and I consume Diet Coke moderately for medical assistance. I discourage my children, however, from drinking it. It is not good for you. But do not panic, the church has not fallen away, especially not the temple.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Medical advisors are often wrong and not the examples they should be. There is no way Diet Coke could render medical assistance. It is worse for health than normal Coke which is detrimental. Why even think to take into ones body anything which will harm it, no one with any sense whatsoever would do so.
Truthandlove wrote: May 3rd, 2017, 11:42 am I consume Diet Coke moderately for medical assistance. I discourage my children, however, from drinking it. It is not good for you.