Poll: Korean War, Part 2

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Are you looking forward to another war on the Korean Peninsula?

Warmongers rule!
No votes
Little Kim is scary.
19%
Well, Trump did say he was going to make America great again.
4%
I'd rather not.
30%
Let's don't and just say we did.
No votes
It's not Constitutional or moral. Opposed!
37%
A war to kill more brown people will only add to the sackcloth and ashes that are America's future.
11%

Total votes: 27
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Poll: Korean War, Part 2

Post by Silver »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-0 ... -241-years

The U.S. Has Been At War For Over 220 In 241 Years

Jul 8, 2017 8:40 PM
Authored by Robert Fantina via AHTribune.com,

The United States presents itself to the world as a beacon of liberty and a proponent of human rights around the world, ready and willing to stand up for and defend the downtrodden. Florida Senator Marco Rubio recently said that the world looks to the U.S. as an example of democracy. This myth is not believed outside of the United States’ borders, and decreasingly within. There is simply too much evidence to the contrary.

The U.S. has been at war for over 220 of its 241 year history. During that time, it has shown a complete lack of respect for the human rights of both the citizens of the nations against which it wages war, and its own soldiers. We’ll take a look at examples from recent history, and see how the U.S. continues these barbaric practices today.
20170708_war2_0.jpg
20170708_war2_0.jpg (88.16 KiB) Viewed 700 times

Source: Wikipedia

During the U.S. war against Viet Nam, which lasted for several years, conservative estimates indicate that at least 2,000,000 men, women and children were killed. Entire villages were burned; soldiers were told to assume that anyone, of an age, was the enemy.

U.S. soldiers gave poisoned cookies to children seeking their help. The My Lai massacre, in which between 350 and 500 innocent people were killed, mostly women, children and elderly men, garnered international publicity, but was only one example of U.S. barbarity.

U.S. soldiers returned home from this and later wars with severe physical and emotional problems. Veterans’ organizations worked for years to have the effects of ‘Agent Orange’, a chemical defoliant used in Viet Nam that caused birth defects in the children of soldiers who used it, recognized by the government so they could get government assistance. A generation later, the reality of Gulf War Syndrome was denied for years by the U.S. government.

How does this continue in the current environment? When the U.S. invaded Iraq early in the administration of President George Bush, it bombed residential areas in a country where over half the population was under the age of 15. It destroyed government institutions, even as it protected oil lines, leaving millions of people without essential services.

In Yemen, drones have killed at least 6,000 people. In the first drone attack authorized by then President Barack Obama, 34 people were killed. Of these, two were suspected of having ties to so-called terrorist groups. The other 32 were innocent men, women and children. And these atrocities continue to this day.

In Syria, the U.S. is supporting radical groups that are causing untold suffering. At least one third of the population of Syria has fled their homes; recently, due to the efforts of the Syrian army and its allies, some have begun to return. The death toll, directly attributable to the actions of the U.S., is at least half a million.

When it comes to a nation’s need to defend itself, the U.S. again has no equal when it comes to hypocrisy. Palestinians who defend themselves with rocks against the U.S.-provided weaponry with which Israel kills and oppresses them, are called terrorists. IDF terrorists and settlers, also terrorists, living in the West Bank in violation of international law, kill unarmed Palestinians with impunity.

What does all this mean for the basic human rights of the people whose nations fall victim to U.S. imperialism? Death, disease, homelessness, life in refugee camps, hunger, lack of medical care, lack of education opportunities, and much more.

The United States, despite its own claims to the contrary, has one of the worst records of human rights abuses of all the countries on the planet. They are worsened in war time, and as I mentioned earlier, the U.S. has been at war almost constantly since 1776.

This is the United States, that self-proclaimed beacon of peace and justice. This is international hypocrisy at it most blatant and deadly. People within the U.S. and without are working tirelessly to resolve these issues, but they are opposed by powerful interest groups. Yet such shocking cruelty and violations of international law and the human right of millions of innocent people cannot continue forever. The end of the injustices perpetrated by the United States will be a welcome day around the world.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Killing them with kindness, eh? What if we dropped laptops, candy, movies and other luxuries in care packages wrapped in US flags or something. That would be a lot cheaper than a war.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

The laptops would have to be able to withstand the force of being dropped. Even a parachute only reduces the force of falling by so much...
Last edited by Durzan on July 17th, 2017, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Durzan wrote: July 17th, 2017, 10:27 am The laptops would have to be able to withstand the force of being dropped. Even a parachute only reduced the force of falling by so much...
Bubble wrap? Lots and lots of bubble wrap? And the the North Korean children could enjoy endless hours of entertainment popping the bubbles.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

On second thought, maybe we just drop crates of bubble wrap

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Durzan wrote: July 5th, 2017, 2:17 pm I say we do what Alma did with the Zoramites... IE diffuse the situation by preaching the gospel.
Give it a try. I can tell you now, though, you're really going to hate living in Camp 14 for the two or three weeks (which would be the rest of your life.)

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Silver wrote: July 5th, 2017, 8:44 pm
Matchmaker wrote: July 5th, 2017, 4:19 pm If he is starving his citizens to death to get the money to buy more weapons or threatening Japan or South Korea with his dumb missile launchings, someone needs to go in there now and remove him from power! The sooner the better, I think, before he has a chance to kill more of his people than he already has, along with other innocent people living nearby.

If you knew a neighbor's child was on a playground playing with a loaded gun, and you were the adult closest to him, would you take the gun away now or spend the next half hour debating over who to call or what to do about it?
Why do you think Kim's closest neighbor, China, doesn't do that?
Why bother? Because it's not a concern to them. It's an opportunity. Trump is a complete unknown to the world's political leaders. He comes in with no political backstory for their intelligence agencies to buy from spies, so this would provide an opportunity to see how he would face a direct threat. They're unconcerned with the people of North Korea. If a couple million N. Koreans starve, how is China hurt? Eventually something will happen to require an intervention there. If they play the longsuffering neighbor and come in right before an outside invasion to save their communist brothers, they'll appear to be the good guys, as they'll bring in food and money to help out which will give them access to N. Korea's mineral resources that are of no use to Kim since he can't sell any of it.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Silver wrote: July 6th, 2017, 5:24 am Accept President Kimball's counsel.

"...We forget that if we are righteous the Lord will either not suffer our enemies to come upon us..."
We are not a righteous people. How many babies are aborted each year? How much greed and perversion is there in our country?

However, you don't have to be righteous for a people to be justified in defending ourselves. NK demonstrated they have nuclear weapons. They demonstrated they have ICBMs. Recently they threatened Guam by name. The Commander in Chief, as much as I dislike him, defused the situation quite well. I didn't like him, I don't like him, and I don't trust him. However, I have no doubt based on what NK said he could have convinced Congress to give him approval to bomb Kim heavily. He certainly would have had the support of his military leaders.

He didn't. He sent a warning that said we were ready to meet aggression with finality. Kim's warring threats turned into whimpering. Doesn't mean I trust Trump. However, I think he did well with this.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Durzan wrote: July 6th, 2017, 8:39 am As you can see, I have put a bit of thought into this.
It appears not nearly enough. You would not be allowed into the country if you declared your intentions. They would flat out refuse you entry.

Are you foolish enough to sneak in? I would hope not.

If you lied to get in, you'd be arrested if you tried to even speak to someone you're not allowed to. That is basically everyone in the country other than paid government spokespeople.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

skmo wrote: August 17th, 2017, 12:30 am
Durzan wrote: July 6th, 2017, 8:39 am As you can see, I have put a bit of thought into this.
It appears not nearly enough. You would not be allowed into the country if you declared your intentions. They would flat out refuse you entry.

Are you foolish enough to sneak in? I would hope not.

If you lied to get in, you'd be arrested if you tried to even speak to someone you're not allowed to. That is basically everyone in the country other than paid government spokespeople.
Pffft... already considered that thought bud... and I determined that sneaking in would only cause more harm than good, and likely lead to me getting unnecessarily tortured and killed. If my goal is to spread the gospel to the citizens of North Korea, then as stated earlier, getting myself killed isn't going help anyone.

No, I'd would try a different route... teaching their Supreme Leader himself... assuming I could manage to get through the many needle eyes that I'd have to jump through in order to get that opportunity. Of course, such a statement is just as statistically unlikely as getting a direct hit on the Exhaust Vent of the Death Star... remotely possible, but so extremely unlikely that you'd need supernatural aid and a host of conveniently aligned circumstances in order to even consider doing it... and even then its a long shot.

However, just like the Death Star exhaust vent, if successful, said shot would have a huge impact. The true conversion of Kim Jong Un to the Gospel would be a miracle of profound implications, causing a chain reaction of events that would ultimately turn North Korea into both a righteous and prosperous nation. With Kim Jong Un converted, North Korea would become open to the Gospel and the freedom of its citizens would increase rapidly; with its citizens no longer chained by tyranny, economic prosperity would soon follow. North Korea would cease to be an active threat to the US, Japan, and South Korea without a single shot being fired. Negotiations towards reunification of both Korean nations could begin in earnest... and all of this because of the act of a few men willing to put their absolute faith in the Lord, and letting Him guide them through a shot made in the dark.

Why do I think this? Because of the following revelation which the Lord gave unto me about a month ago.
Behold, the time is coming quickly when God shall work a great miracle upon the Hermit Nation. Her leader and her people shall hear the gospel, and shall be over-swept by a change so profound that you will scarcely be able to recognize her once it is completed; and when this change comes to pass, it will seem as though North Korea will have gone from poor to prosperous overnight. And it shall come to pass that in that day, shall the North and South become reunited, and their people shall become one people, united by a bond stronger than what holds us together. This I testify in the name of God Almighty, even Jesus Christ. Amen.
North Korea's story will not end in fire, war, and destruction... but will end in peace. The pieces are moving into place for this to happen right now. We have Trump in office and indicated back in march that he was willing to talk with Kim Jong Un directly (under certain circumstances), and North Korean officials also indicated the same. We have a North Korean leader who secretly loves American culture, and who seems strikingly similar to King Lamoni in a lot of ways. Furthermore we have angels actively guarding the border and protecting South Korea. So, while it seems like we are on the brink of war with them, the seeds of peace are there... God is just waiting for a few more chips to fall into the right place, and for a few righteous men to give a little push, and He will perform a miracle. Kim Jong Un is the lynch pin to finding said peace; convert him, and the whole nation will shortly follow. Just like what happened with King Lamoni and his people.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Durzan wrote: August 18th, 2017, 11:02 amThe true conversion of Kim Jong Un to the Gospel would be a miracle of profound implications, causing a chain reaction of events that would ultimately turn North Korea into both a righteous and prosperous nation.
If you could convert Kim, he could make world-changing news about the LDS Church and the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

If people would soften their hearts, we could overcome evil.
If we could figure out how to harness Gravity and the Strong Force the way we've harnessed electromagnetic energy, we'd be energy free.
If politicians all kept their oath to the Constitution we'd have good government.
If everyone who was sealed to their spouse in the temple kept their covenants, divorce would all but disappear for members.

Faith is good. Faith is different than a fairytale. All of the above are technically possible. Expecting any one of them to come true is a fairytale.