Poll: Korean War, Part 2

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Are you looking forward to another war on the Korean Peninsula?

Warmongers rule!
No votes
Little Kim is scary.
19%
Well, Trump did say he was going to make America great again.
4%
I'd rather not.
30%
Let's don't and just say we did.
No votes
It's not Constitutional or moral. Opposed!
37%
A war to kill more brown people will only add to the sackcloth and ashes that are America's future.
11%

Total votes: 27
Irrelevant
captain of 100

Re: Poll: Korean War, Part 2

Post by Irrelevant »

Matchmaker wrote: July 5th, 2017, 4:19 pm If he is starving his citizens to death to get the money to buy more weapons or threatening Japan or South Korea with his dumb missile launchings, someone needs to go in there now and remove him from power! The sooner the better, I think, before he has a chance to kill more of his people than he already has, along with other innocent people living nearby.

If you knew a neighbor's child was on a playground playing with a loaded gun, and you were the adult closest to him, would you take the gun away now or spend the next half hour debating over who to call or what to do about it?
What does that mean to you? You feel like he should be removed from power but what does that look like? How and then what?

Irrelevant
captain of 100

Post by Irrelevant »

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote: July 6th, 2017, 6:12 am
Silver wrote: July 6th, 2017, 5:57 am
I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote: July 6th, 2017, 5:48 am
Silver wrote: July 6th, 2017, 5:24 am

I've already told you what I would do but you are past feeling. Here it is again:
Follow the prophet.
Feed the people.
Pray for them that would despitefully use you.
Accept President Kimball's counsel.

"We are a warlike people, easily distracted from our assignment of preparing for the coming of the Lord. When enemies rise up, we commit vast resources to the fabrication of gods of stone and steel—ships, planes, missiles, fortifications—and depend on them for protection and deliverance. When threatened, we become antienemy instead of pro-kingdom of God; we train a man in the art of war and call him a patriot, thus, in the manner of Satan’s counterfeit of true patriotism, perverting the Savior’s teaching:

“Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

“That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven.” (Matt. 5:44–45.)

We forget that if we are righteous the Lord will either not suffer our enemies to come upon us—and this is the special promise to the inhabitants of the land of the Americas (see 2 Ne. 1:7)—or he will fight our battles for us (Ex. 14:14; D&C 98:37, to name only two references of many)."
Feed the people? Feed who? The ruling class eats very well, and as I stated previously, food aid to the poor in NK does nothing to change their leader's minds. Have you been praying for them? Do you feel it's been effective?
So you admit that you are not willing to accept President Kimball's teachings? Do you consider yourself to be in full fellowship with the Church?
"We are people of peace. We are followers of the Christ who was and is the Prince of Peace. But there are times when we must stand up for right and decency, for freedom and civilization, just as Moroni rallied his people in his day to the defense of their wives, their children, and the cause of liberty (see Alma 48:10)."-Pres. Hinckley
Exactly, the difference is that Moroni rallied his people in defense. What I'm seeing is calls for offensive action. Where did that work out in the Book of Mormon? Do we no longer believe in a God who will fight for us?

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Silver,
The sword of which you speak was only used in defense, George. That is the grand message of the warfare found in the Book of Mormon. Never take a sword in hand, except in defense. The only exception being when it was necessary to cleanse the inner vessel first. Captain Moroni made sure that he eliminated the corruption at home so he would have the strength he needed to fight against any combination of Zoramites or Amalekites or Lamanites who were attacking the Nephites.

The message of the Book of Mormon must be applied in this case as well. We have no reason to attack North Korea. It's shameful that we as a people allow the constant empire-building by the warmongers to continue.
I don't see where we significantly disagree here. My response its to wait and see, and to take nothing off the table yet. It doesn't look that different to me from your rebuttal.

The only difference is in regards to the role of the prophet. Our societal situations are different. We live in a nation with a plurality of religions and a separation of Church and state. It would be nice if President Trump would check with the prophet, before committing any action here. However, it isn't going to happen with him as it hasn't with any leader since the forming of this country. Not because of rebellion or rejection, but because in these times we are a minority religion, and it wouldn't occur to any president that this is an option.

As citizens, it would be good to follow the counsel of the church, which to date has been to support our country in serving in the military in times of war.

Regards,

George Clay

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote: July 6th, 2017, 6:12 am
Silver wrote: July 6th, 2017, 5:57 am
I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote: July 6th, 2017, 5:48 am
Silver wrote: July 6th, 2017, 5:24 am

I've already told you what I would do but you are past feeling. Here it is again:
Follow the prophet.
Feed the people.
Pray for them that would despitefully use you.
Accept President Kimball's counsel.

"We are a warlike people, easily distracted from our assignment of preparing for the coming of the Lord. When enemies rise up, we commit vast resources to the fabrication of gods of stone and steel—ships, planes, missiles, fortifications—and depend on them for protection and deliverance. When threatened, we become antienemy instead of pro-kingdom of God; we train a man in the art of war and call him a patriot, thus, in the manner of Satan’s counterfeit of true patriotism, perverting the Savior’s teaching:

“Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

“That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven.” (Matt. 5:44–45.)

We forget that if we are righteous the Lord will either not suffer our enemies to come upon us—and this is the special promise to the inhabitants of the land of the Americas (see 2 Ne. 1:7)—or he will fight our battles for us (Ex. 14:14; D&C 98:37, to name only two references of many)."
Feed the people? Feed who? The ruling class eats very well, and as I stated previously, food aid to the poor in NK does nothing to change their leader's minds. Have you been praying for them? Do you feel it's been effective?
So you admit that you are not willing to accept President Kimball's teachings? Do you consider yourself to be in full fellowship with the Church?
"We are people of peace. We are followers of the Christ who was and is the Prince of Peace. But there are times when we must stand up for right and decency, for freedom and civilization, just as Moroni rallied his people in his day to the defense of their wives, their children, and the cause of liberty (see Alma 48:10)."-Pres. Hinckley
Place that quote in its proper context and you won't feel so smug.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

gclayjr wrote: July 5th, 2017, 7:48 pm Durzan,
Were the four sons of Mosiah deemed crazy to go into the lands of the Lamanites? You bet they were! Did King Mosiah forbid them from going? At first he did, but they pleaded with him day and night
Will you walk your talk?

Go ahead and pack your bags for North Korea and walk your talk. I will pay for your passport pictures, if you show me your ticket to North Korea.

There are so many here that talk so big and walk so little!

Regards,

George Clay
Honestly, I am willing to go and teach them... but only after significant preparation. I am not stupid enough to just pack my bags and waltz over there right now, without a plan. And even if I did have a plan that was ready right this moment, I am not spiritually ready for such a task, and I would need time to prepare before departure. Things I would personally need to do before I would even consider going over there to preach the gospel are:
  • Develop consistent and meaningful scripture study habits. Right now, I couldn't consistently sit down long enough to read 5 verses without getting distracted by something else, and as much as I've tried for the past five years, it hasn't yielded the results that I would need to be able to preach the gospel with relative safely in North Korea. When I was reading consistently, I didn't usually get much out of it, and when I wasn't... Well, I wasn't even thinking about the Gospel unless someone else brought it up. Luckily, I have improved on pondering the gospel, but pondering the stories in the scriptures alone ain't gonna cut it.
  • Fast and Pray regularly for the people of the Hermit Nation, for the Holy Spirit to be constantly with me, and for aid and protection from the Holy Spirit when I go to teach them. The Sons of Mosiah did this so that the Spirit would be with them when they taught... I would be foolish for not following their example. If I go without any fasting or prayer, than the Spirit wouldn't be with me, and consequently the trip would be suicidal and pointless. No Spirit means no impact, and I would just get killed pointlessly. Literally the only thing that would keep me from getting killed would be protection from God, and I wouldn't want to risk my skin without having the Spirit be with me.
  • Learn Korean at least well enough to where I can somewhat understand what people are saying. The gift of tongues is a wonderful thing, but I am not foolish enough to think that I will just get that gift without putting forth some effort towards learning their native language. I used to know a few words, but that was just because my Tae Kwon Do teacher was from South Korea and included memorizing some Korean words and what they mean at each belt level as part of his curriculum... and its been ages since I last took a class.
  • I would need to secure enough money or airline miles for plane tickets. I already have a valid US passport, and traveling to other countries isn't foreign to me, so that isn't an issue. I've been to Canada numerous times, and last fall I visited the UK as part of the English Study Abroad program at BYUI. This fall I am going to be visiting Europe on a
  • In addition to plane tickets, I would need to secure enough money to allow me to pay for food and shelter while preaching the gospel.While the scriptures do say to go without concern for purse or scrip, I would be preaching in one of the most isolated nations in the world, and one of the most dangerous to foreigners. Some money would come in handy.
  • I would need to make arrangements to actually get into North Korea.
And that's just the bare minimum. There are other things which I would have to take into account as well, including figuring out what my exact objectives would be (besides just preaching the gospel), as well as how to accomplish them. If I were to go, my objectives would be the following (in no particular order):
  • Preach the Gospel directly to Kim Jong Un himself and his regime. As I and others have noted in another thread, I have noticed some parallels between Kim Jong Un and King Lamoni... which is why I draw upon the account of the four sons of mosiah. This task is probably the most important... as if Kim Jong Un and his cronies remain unconverted, then the chances of being able to open North Korea to the general preaching of the gospel will remain slim. However, if he does accept the gospel, then it paves the way for the other objectives to be fulfilled. Of course, figuring out how to actually DO that and with relative safety is the big problem.
  • Dedicate North Korea to the preaching of the gospel, and then open North Korea to the preaching of the Gospel. (To do this, I would need to be specifically called directly by First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve to do this task.)
  • Re-establish direct and official diplomatic communication between the US and North Korea, and bring the two nations onto speaking terms with one another. (Doing so is essential to avoiding a war)
  • Establish an official peace treaty between the two nations. (Remember that the Korean War never officially ended... which is part of the reason why North Korea still views us as an enemy.)
  • Figure out how to shift North Korea towards more democratic principles. (If Kim Jong Un is converted, then this task becomes a lot easier to do.)
  • Establish grounds for the peaceful merging of North and South Korea.
  • Preach the gospel to all those in North Korea who would hear my voice and accept it without hesitation.
Of course, that is easier said than done... and in order to actually have a chance of succeeding in even some of those objectives, I would need to be backed by the General Authorities of the Church (which means officially getting called as a missionary at the very least), as well as President Trump. Which adds another thing to the list: I would need to be able to talk with them in person.

As you can see, I have put a bit of thought into this.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

I am not in favor of starting a war with the people of North Korea, nor am I advocating the taking of a life when it is not required. I am in favor of removing him from power for the safety of his own people and others. Intelligent men in the government and rich men in the private sector can find creative ways to get just about anything done.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

I doubt the Kim's would be in power if the USA wasn't so gosh darn good at playing villain.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

SmallFarm wrote: July 6th, 2017, 1:43 pm I doubt the Kim's would be in power if the USA wasn't so gosh darn good at playing villain.
Do you mind expanding on that thought just a bit? We're now into the 3rd generation of a Kim at the top of North Korea. What exactly could/should the US have done differently initially and now?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Silver wrote: July 6th, 2017, 2:10 pm
SmallFarm wrote: July 6th, 2017, 1:43 pm I doubt the Kim's would be in power if the USA wasn't so gosh darn good at playing villain.
Do you mind expanding on that thought just a bit? We're now into the 3rd generation of a Kim at the top of North Korea. What exactly could/should the US have done differently initially and now?
Tyrants need a boogieman to draw the attention of a public seeking freedom from oppression. We oblige in that role through an ongoing war and santions.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

SmallFarm wrote: July 6th, 2017, 2:30 pm
Silver wrote: July 6th, 2017, 2:10 pm
Tyrants need a boogieman to draw the attention of a public seeking freedom from oppression. We oblige in that role.
OK, gotcha. I think that strategy is a two-way street. The politicians in DC are experts at using propaganda to keep us distracted. Hence, we've been fighting Al-Qaeda/Taliban/ISIS for years with no victory in sight. Now it's time to pick on Kim, apparently.

Irrelevant
captain of 100

Post by Irrelevant »

Matchmaker wrote: July 6th, 2017, 1:26 pm I am not in favor of starting a war with the people of North Korea, nor am I advocating the taking of a life when it is not required. I am in favor of removing him from power for the safety of his own people and others. Intelligent men in the government and rich men in the private sector can find creative ways to get just about anything done.
How? What happens when you remove him from power? Do you replace him? With whom?

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

Bill Clinton's nuclear deal with North Korea, remember nothing to worry about. My father went to Korea and served in the war with the Air force. As they emptied their uneaten food in slop buckets, little Korean kids snuck over and grabbed handfuls of the food to eat.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

OCDMOM wrote: July 6th, 2017, 9:55 pm Bill Clinton's nuclear deal with North Korea, remember nothing to worry about. My father went to Korea and served in the war with the Air force. As they emptied their uneaten food in slop buckets, little Korean kids snuck over and grabbed handfuls of the food to eat.
Moroni set the example of cleansing the inner vessel first. Praying for a repeat...soon.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Irrelevant wrote: July 6th, 2017, 8:57 pm
Matchmaker wrote: July 6th, 2017, 1:26 pm I am not in favor of starting a war with the people of North Korea, nor am I advocating the taking of a life when it is not required. I am in favor of removing him from power for the safety of his own people and others. Intelligent men in the government and rich men in the private sector can find creative ways to get just about anything done.
How? What happens when you remove him from power? Do you replace him? With whom?
I don't know how specifically. I would leave that to more capable and intelligent people than I. Perhaps he could be given an offer to step down and relocate that he couldn't refuse, and then a more democratically elected government could be installed in his place. I'd like to hear your ideas on how this could happen.

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

"Furthermore, we are a freedom-loving people, committed to the defense of liberty wherever it is in jeopardy. I believe that God will not hold men and women in uniform responsible as agents of their government in carrying forward that which they are legally obligated to do. It may even be that He will hold us responsible if we try to impede or hedge up the way of those who are involved in a contest with forces of evil and repression."

-Pres. Hinckley

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote: July 7th, 2017, 5:16 am "Furthermore, we are a freedom-loving people, committed to the defense of liberty wherever it is in jeopardy. I believe that God will not hold men and women in uniform responsible as agents of their government in carrying forward that which they are legally obligated to do. It may even be that He will hold us responsible if we try to impede or hedge up the way of those who are involved in a contest with forces of evil and repression."

-Pres. Hinckley
Right. But which side do you choose when both sides are evil?

Durzan

Post by Durzan »

Ultimately though, war is not an option. NK has massive amounts of mobile weaponry built for quick attacks from hidden/sheltered locations that can hit Guam, South Korea, Japan, and now possibly Alaska. If we attack them, then they retaliate... and while they may end up losing in the end, our victory would be a pyrrhic one at best. We might be able to stop a few or even most of their missiles and artillery shells, however, some would get through and hit their targets, causing massive casualties to our own troops and allies. Are we really prepared to sacrifice hundreds of thousands of lives to wipe one regime off the map?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Durzan wrote: July 7th, 2017, 8:33 am Ultimately though, war is not an option. NK has massive amounts of mobile weaponry built for quick attacks from hidden/sheltered locations that can hit Guam, South Korea, Japan, and now possibly Alaska. If we attack them, then they retaliate... and while they may end up losing in the end, our victory would be a pyrrhic one at best. We might be able to stop a few or even most of their missiles and artillery shells, however, some would get through and hit their targets, causing massive casualties to our own troops and allies. Are we really prepared to sacrifice hundreds of thousands of lives to wipe one regime off the map?
Right. Seoul is so close to the North Korean border. Massive damage and loss of life. Meanwhile Trump would be drinking margaritas at Mar-A-Lago.

Durzan

Post by Durzan »

Silver wrote: July 7th, 2017, 8:44 am
Durzan wrote: July 7th, 2017, 8:33 am Ultimately though, war is not an option. NK has massive amounts of mobile weaponry built for quick attacks from hidden/sheltered locations that can hit Guam, South Korea, Japan, and now possibly Alaska. If we attack them, then they retaliate... and while they may end up losing in the end, our victory would be a pyrrhic one at best. We might be able to stop a few or even most of their missiles and artillery shells, however, some would get through and hit their targets, causing massive casualties to our own troops and allies. Are we really prepared to sacrifice hundreds of thousands of lives to wipe one regime off the map?
Right. Seoul is so close to the North Korean border. Massive damage and loss of life. Meanwhile Trump would be drinking margaritas at Mar-A-Lago.
I don't think Seoul is high on NK's targeting list, though I wouldn't put it past them. Remember, the North sees the south as being occupied by us, and would likely want to spare the lives of Korean citizens... at least at first, anyway. NK's objective would be to conquer the south and drive us out, not wipe everyone off the peninsula. Our military bases, however are probably fair game. And I wouldn't put it past them to attack Tokyo either.

Recently, I have developed a certain fondness for Japan, and I would be especially pissed if they attacked the nation that is the source of my beloved Anime. :D (Seriously though, I would find it very hard to forgive them if they attacked Japan.)

Irrelevant
captain of 100

Post by Irrelevant »

Matchmaker wrote: July 7th, 2017, 3:21 am
Irrelevant wrote: July 6th, 2017, 8:57 pm
I don't know how specifically. I would leave that to more capable and intelligent people than I. Perhaps he could be given an offer to step down and relocate that he couldn't refuse, and then a more democratically elected government could be installed in his place. I'd like to hear your ideas on how this could happen.
After reading what I've written I feel that I should say that I am in no way picking on you. My frustration is with our government, not you. I can see that you just want the people of NK to stop suffering and want to feel that we are safe from the threat of NK military action.

To answer your question: It can't happen and it shouldn't happen. What you have in NK is a nation with Stockholm. Generations now brainwashed from birth. There are definitely some who have awaken there but the vast majority is sympathetic to Kim and the government. Children report their own parents for anti-government activity and think nothing of it. The population is becoming more uneasy but if we intervened they'd rally around the government. If we did somehow install a new form of government we'd be there indefinitely, ensuring they were "doing it right".

Just how much nation building can we afford?
How can we justify forcing our brand of government on another nation? Is that what they want? Who are we to determine what's best for them?
Has the US ever forced "democracy" on another nation, gotten completely out, and everything worked? Haven't we learned our lesson by now?

As Durzan said, any military action on our part will result in the leveling of Seoul in such a short amount of time that evacuation would be impossible. Meddling with their government would be seen as an act of aggression (rightfully so).

I think the best recourse is to leave them alone. No governmental aid, no military action. Leave them alone just as we should leave everyone else alone. In our arrogance we police the world, set up and take down governments, and get involved in so much that we have no business being in.

Taking Kim Jong Un out and setting up a democratic style government would be like making a hard core heroin user stop cold turkey.

Probably the best thing that could happen is when the people are ready, they will revolt. Then reunification can SLOWLY begin. Of their own choice. As far as what we can do, imagine the power that thousands of prayers from us on the behalf of our North Korean brothers and sisters would have. God would hear us. We must trust in Him.

Man, this is getting long...
I'm with Silver on cleaning our inner vessel.
America should stop being the aggressor.
Don't worry about the ICBM, we have missile defense.

Irrelevant
captain of 100

Post by Irrelevant »

Sorry Durzan, but Seoul is first on the list. Seoul is gone within hours and there's no way to stop it. That's all I'll say on that.

War with North Korea would be the worst we'd ever seen. Ever. It would be an absolute blood bath.

I really think you are on to something.
Alma 31:5 And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God.

How have we forgotten the power of God and become such a warmongering people?

If God called me I'd go to North Korea along with you. The more I've learned of them the heavier I've felt for them. I pray that He will soften their hearts and open the way.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Can't find anything in the song about "righteously" threatening another sovereign country. Likewise, no mention of anyone getting the power to arbitrarily determine what weapons another sovereign country can possess. If Kim is truly insane, his neighbors should be the most concerned. I would just note, however, that the Kims haven't attacked anybody for 60+ years. They have a much better record than the traitorous, lyin', murderin' US presidents. Cleanse the inner vessel first, America, or it's sackcloth and ashes for us, my friends.

What? Am I too childish and naive in my thinking. "Ol' Silver just doesn't understand the way the world turns." Is that what you're thinking? Well, after all the wars and deception, I can tell you that it's time to try something else because having a bunch of Luciferian banksters in charge sure ain't working.

1. Book of Mormon stories that my teacher tells to me
Are about the Lamanites in ancient history.
Long ago their fathers came from far across the sea,
Giv’n the land if they lived righteously.

2. Lamanites met others who were seeking liberty,
And the land soon welcomed all who wanted to be free.
Book of Mormon stories say that we must brothers be,
Giv’n the land if we live righteously.

3. Alma was rebellious, and he fought against the right.
Then one day an angel came to turn him to the light.
Struck before his brethren, Alma learned humility.
Then he taught in the land righteously.

4. Don’t forget Abinadi, who stood before the king.
All chained up from head to toe, the gospel he did bring.
If he would deny it, then the king would set him free.
He was true, and he died righteously.

5. Ammon was a missionary serving Lamanites,
Tending King Lamoni’s sheep for several days and nights.
Robbers came; he saved the sheep by fighting fearlessly.
He had learned he could live righteously.

6. Once two thousand sons of God were called to fight the foe.
Marching as an army into battle they did go.
They believed that Christ the Lord their guardian would be.
They had learned they should live righteously.

7. Samuel the Lamanite, high on the city wall,
Came to warn the people, and repentance was his call.
Arrows could not hit him, for a man of God was he,
And he taught in the land righteously.

8. (Slowly and reverently)
After Christ was crucified and died for you and me,
He came forth to teach the truth to all who would be free.
Hands were laid upon each child. He blessed them tenderly,
And they lived in the land righteously.

Words and music: Elizabeth Fetzer Bates, 1909–1999. © 1969 IRI
Optional verses: Nancy K. Daines Carter, b. 1935. © 1986, 1989 IRI

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

warmonger
[wawr-muhng-ger, -mong-]

noun
1. a person who advocates, endorses, or tries to precipitate war

British Dictionary definitions for warmonger
warmonger
/ˈwɔːˌmʌŋɡə/
noun
1. a person who fosters warlike ideas or advocates war

Durzan

Post by Durzan »

Can someone add the option "Preach the Gospel to North Korea" to the poll?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Durzan wrote: July 7th, 2017, 12:56 pm Can someone add the option "Preach the Gospel to North Korea" to the poll?
I would if I knew how.