Idaho Falls Temple Dedication

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Idaho Falls Temple Dedication

Post by mes5464 »

We just got home from the re-dedication of the Idaho Falls Temple. I wanted to report that the second item Elder Eyring mentioned in the dedicatory pray was the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. He asked God to preserve them and by so doing preserve our freedoms.

This is my report.
Last edited by mes5464 on June 5th, 2017, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Re: Idaho Falls Temple Dedication

Post by Rose Garden »

I'm glad the temple has been reeducated. I'm sure it's more intelligent now than it was before. ;)

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I am delighted that President Eyring included in the re-dedicatory prayer that God preserve the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. It will be interesting to see just how God will work to achieve that.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

mes5464 wrote: June 4th, 2017, 10:52 am We just got home from the reeducation of the Idaho Falls Temple. I wanted to report that the second item Elder Eyring mentioned in the dedicatory pray was the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. He asked God to preserve them and by so doing preserve our freedoms.

This is my report.
Our son and his fiance were there, as well, and gave a similar report! We were very pleased to hear it.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Meili wrote: June 4th, 2017, 12:15 pm I'm glad the temple has been reeducated. I'm sure it's more intelligent now than it was before. ;)
Was probably auto-correct.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Silver Pie wrote: June 5th, 2017, 1:17 pm
Meili wrote: June 4th, 2017, 12:15 pm I'm glad the temple has been reeducated. I'm sure it's more intelligent now than it was before. ;)
It was. I corrected it.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

mes5464 wrote: June 5th, 2017, 1:18 pm
Silver Pie wrote: June 5th, 2017, 1:17 pm
It was. I corrected it.
I love autocorrect.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Meili wrote: June 5th, 2017, 1:45 pm I love autocorrect.
:))
I've gotten a doozy or two from you, that's for sure. :))
Not to mention that one from Joy that freakin' read like someone who knew a little about typing and spelling and reading had written it. =:) :X

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Silver Pie wrote: June 5th, 2017, 3:29 pm
Meili wrote: June 5th, 2017, 1:45 pm I love autocorrect.
:))
I've gotten a doozy or two from you, that's for sure. :))
Not to mention that one from Joy that freakin' read like someone who knew a little about typing and spelling and reading had written it. =:) :X
You never know. Maybe she did know what she was doing. Image

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Indeed. Aliens among us, disguised as toddlers. :YMALIEN:

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Indubitably.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Does anybody have the actual words that Elder Eyring spoke in that part of the rededication prayer ?
Last edited by lundbaek on June 5th, 2017, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

At the dedication of the Idaho Falls Temple in September 1945 President George Albert Smith included in the dedicatory prayer these words:

"We thank Thee that Thou has revealed to us that those who gave us our Constitutional form of government were wise in Thy sight and that Thou didst raise them up for the very purpose of putting forth that sacred document....

"Thou did'st [raise] up wise men for the very purpose of giving us our Constitution.... We pray Thee that Thou wilt inspire good and just men everywhere to be willing to sacrifice for, support and uphold the Constitution and the government set up under it and thereby preserve for man his agency."

And in the dedicatory prayer of the Kirtland Temple in March 1836 the Prophet Joseph Smith words included "...may those principles, which were so honorably and nobly defended, namely the Constitution of our land, by our fathers, be established forever."

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

lundbaek wrote: June 5th, 2017, 6:02 pm Does anybody have the actual words that Elder Eyring spoke in that part of the rededication prayer ?

I would tell you but I am afraid you would use those words as a weapon to beat over the head every leader in your stake who doesnt think it should be absolutely mandatory that at least one talk on the constitution must be part of every sacrament meeting. :D

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Sexual sin and drug abuse leads to greater poverty via broken families and decreased productivity.

Poverty leads to bloated government welfare programs which usurp our individual rights and liberties. Government welfare exacerbates the problem of poverty by enabling it and never reforms or rehabilitates. Government welfare redistributes without accountability.

Fascists and dictators have always come to power promising greater social justice via the redistribution of wealth. (Rome = free bread and circus, Communists, Nazi's, Castro, etc)

Welfare according to James 1:27 is the business of "pure religion". So, if we believe in a separation of church and state, the State needs to get out of the business of religion. Religion needs to do its job by providing welfare and promoting virtue.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". Well, welfare and marriage are establishments of religion.

Ancient Religion addressed welfare and cared for the fatherless and widow using the institution of the family via marriage/polygamy and adoption.

However, we are never going to get anywhere in saving Constitutional Government if all we talk about is limited government, but we do not address the problem of poverty. We cannot convince liberals to support the constitution if they think our solution to poverty is just to "cut everyone off" and have all the single moms and disabled "go get jobs like the rest of us".

We have to address the poverty problem. That is the real threat to the Constitution.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

davedan wrote: June 5th, 2017, 11:40 pm Sexual sin and drug abuse leads to greater poverty via broken families and decreased productivity.

Poverty leads to bloated government welfare programs which usurp our individual rights and liberties. Government welfare exacerbates the problem of poverty by enabling it and never reforms or rehabilitates. Government welfare redistributes without accountability.

Fascists and dictators have always come to power promising greater social justice via the redistribution of wealth. (Rome = free bread and circus, Communists, Nazi's, Castro, etc)

Welfare according to James 1:27 is the business of "pure religion". So, if we believe in a separation of church and state, the State needs to get out of the business of religion. Religion needs to do its job by providing welfare and promoting virtue.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". Well, welfare and marriage are establishments of religion.

Ancient Religion addressed welfare and cared for the fatherless and widow using the institution of the family via marriage/polygamy and adoption.

However, we are never going to get anywhere in saving Constitutional Government if all we talk about is limited government, but we do not address the problem of poverty. We cannot convince liberals to support the constitution if they think our solution to poverty is just to "cut everyone off" and have all the single moms and disabled "go get jobs like the rest of us".

We have to address the poverty problem. That is the real threat to the Constitution.

As long as Babylon is the order of the day nothing will ever be done to address poverty or any other form of righteous govt for that matter. Babylons system is diametrically opposed to anything resembling a Zion society.

18 And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory.

2 And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.

3 For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.

4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

davedan wrote: June 5th, 2017, 11:40 pm Sexual sin and drug abuse leads to greater poverty via broken families and decreased productivity.

The major problem of poverty is that it is not a collective problem, but an individual one. And you have identified some of the factors (but not all of them) in the first part of your post here.
dc

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

I am fairly certain President Eyring said something similar at the Payson temple dedication. It's been too long now, but that sounds very familiar.
I understand we're a global church and it isn't as appropriate at general conference now, but I'm glad to hear its importance mentioned with the US.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Re. the dedication of the Payson Temple a friend advises: "The published dedication says, "We pray for this nation of which we are part. Preserve the freedom of the people. May the blessings of liberty rest upon its citizens.""

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

lundbaek wrote: June 7th, 2017, 3:42 pm Re. the dedication of the Payson Temple a friend advises: "The published dedication says, "We pray for this nation of which we are part. Preserve the freedom of the people. May the blessings of liberty rest upon its citizens.""
Oh, that is different then. Thank you for finding that, I didn't even think to look online. I must just associate freedom and liberty with the constitution. Crazy. ;-)

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

David13 wrote: June 6th, 2017, 5:39 pm

The major problem of poverty is that it is not a collective problem, but an individual one. And you have identified some of the factors (but not all of them) in the first part of your post here.
dc

The Silk Road (drugs) and Pompeii (immorality)?brought down Rome and Greece. President Monson referred to it here. Saving America/Constitutional government really does begin with a return to virtue. Unless we can agree on the source of a problem we will never agree on a solution

Ensign July 2013:
"In the decades since the end of World War II, standards of morality have lowered again and again.... We forget how the Greeks and Romans prevailed magnificently in a barbaric world and how that triumph ended"

James 1:27 Pure Religion is all about welfare and virtue. This is because virtue issues directly or indirectly lead to welfare issues.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Saving/restoring America/Constitutional government really does begin with a return to virtue. However, I am acquainted with a lot of people whom I consider very virtuous but who support unconstitutional actions like declaration of war by the POTUS, illegal immigration, welfare and corporate bailouts, FedGov involvement in public schools, FedGov control of health care, the NDAA and other actions I cannot think of at the moment.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

davedan wrote: June 9th, 2017, 12:40 pm
David13 wrote: June 6th, 2017, 5:39 pm

dc

The Silk Road (drugs) and Pompeii (immorality)?brought down Rome and Greece. President Monson referred to it here. Saving America/Constitutional government really does begin with a return to virtue. Unless we can agree on the source of a problem we will never agree on a solution

Ensign July 2013:
"In the decades since the end of World War II, standards of morality have lowered again and again.... We forget how the Greeks and Romans prevailed magnificently in a barbaric world and how that triumph ended"

James 1:27 Pure Religion is all about welfare and virtue. This is because virtue issues directly or indirectly lead to welfare issues.

One of the first things that should be done is define the words. What is poverty? The leftists and the Democrats define it as a lack of money. Thus if you dole out money, you solve the problem right? Wrong, as we know.
Back in the sixties the Dems decided to wage a "war on poverty". Well, how many trillions later and they are still waging, and now define the problem as worse, not better.
And is there anyone else that will learn?
dc

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Are we to consider LDS people who support unconstitutional actions like declaration of war by the POTUS, illegal immigration, welfare and corporate bailouts, FedGov involvement in public schools, FedGov control of health care, the NDAA and other actions I cannot think of at the moment, as lacking in virtue ?

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

mes5464 wrote: June 4th, 2017, 10:52 am We just got home from the re-dedication of the Idaho Falls Temple. I wanted to report that the second item Elder Eyring mentioned in the dedicatory pray was the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. He asked God to preserve them and by so doing preserve our freedoms.

This is my report.
My guess is that these freedoms are going to be the determining factor whether or not temples will be able to remain open. We as Church are doing all within our power to preserve our temple work under the threats of unjust laws and this request in this prayer is a token of that.