Should Members of the Church Study and Abide by the US Constitution?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Should Members of the Church Study and Abide by the US Constitution?

Post by lundbaek »

The Lord Jesus the Christ and latter-day prophets and apostles have told Latter-day Saints certain things that they should be doing to uphold and preserve the Constitution of the United States. I compiled this repertoire of some of their statements for my own benefit, but maybe you can use some of this as you see fit. I find it sad that these messages can not be given in our church meetings now.
Ralph Hughes

I, the Lord, justify you, and your brethren of my church, in befriending that law which is the constitutional law of the land; (The Lord Jesus the Christ, August 6, 1833, Doctrine and Covenants 98:4-7)

[The] laws and constitution of the people, which I have suffered to be established…, should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles….. (The Lord Jesus the Christ, December 16, 1833, Doctrine and Covenants 101:77-80)

Every member of the priesthood should understand the divine plan designed by the Lord to raise up the first free people in modern times…. (Elder Ezra Taft Benson, October 1961, General Conference)

tand by the Constitution of your country; ( Joseph Smith, July 25, 1836, Messages of the First Presidency, 1:74-75)

let us sustain the Constitution that our fathers have bequeathed to us in letters of blood; (President Brigham Young, March 9, 1862, Journal of Discourses, 10:41)

t is for us still to sustain these glorious principles of liberty bequeathed by the founders of this nation, (President John Taylor, July 3, 1881, Journal of Discourses, 22:143)

...be true to the Constitution of the United States, (President John Taylor, October 9, 1881, Journal of Discourses, 22:295-296)

It is for us to sustain and maintain the principles guaranteed in that sacred palladium of human rights—the Constitution of the United States, (President John Taylor, March 5, 1882, Journal of Discourses, 23:36)

Members of the Church are under divine commandment to revere the Constitution as a heaven-inspired instrument. (President Wilford Woodruff, December 12, 1889, Messages of the First Presidency, 3:185)

Revelation and the commandments of the church requires that the Constitution and the laws of the land be upheld. (President Wilford Woodruff, December 16, 1889, Millennial Star, 50:788)

...never, so far as you have voice or influence, permit any departure from the principles of governments on which this nation was founded, or any disregard of the freedoms which, by the inspiration of God our Father, were written in the Constitution of the United States. (President Heber J. Grant, October 1944, General Conference)

You must serve the Lord and keep his commandments. It matters not what others may do, but for you there is only one course, and that is to be obedient to law, and to sustain the Constitution of this great land, (Elder George Albert Smith, October 1922, General Conference)

...it behooves those who do understand to consider seriously and faithfully, the benefits that will flow to us by honoring and sustaining the government that was reared under the direction of our heavenly Father…. (Elder George Albert Smith. October 1935, General Conference)

.I say to you: Sustain the Constitution of the United States, (President George Albert Smith, (November 1950, The Improvement Era, 53:869-870)

Next to being one in worshiping God, there is nothing in this world upon which this Church should be more united than in upholding and defending the Constitution of the United States. (Elder David O. McKay, October 1939, General Conference)

It is highly fitting, therefore, as a means of making the world better, not only to urge loyalty to the Constitution and to threatened fundamentals of the United States government, but to warn the people that there is evidence in the United States of disloyalty to tried and true fundamentals in government. (Elder David O. McKay, October 1940, General Conference)

...no greater immediate responsibility rests upon members of the Church, upon all citizens of this Republic and of neighboring Republics than to protect the freedom vouchsafed by the Constitution of the United States. (President David O. McLay, April 1950, General Conference "Free Agency…A Divine Gift," 37)

Next to being one in worshiping God, there is nothing in this world upon which this Church should be more united than in upholding and defending the Constitution of the United States! (President David O. McKay, February 1956, The Instructor, 91:34)

Our duty is to keep the commandments of the Lord, to walk uprightly, to defend every principle of truth, to sustain and uphold the Constitution of this great country, to remember the Declaration of Independence, for, as we heard this morning from our President, upon these principles our country was based. (President Joseph Fielding Smith, April 1952, General Conference)

...it is the duty of every member of the Church to protect and defend the Constitution against any and all attack. (President J. Reuben Clark, October 1950, General Conference)

We urge members of the Church and all Americans to begin now to reflect more intently on the meaning and importance of the Constitution, and of adherence to its principles. (President Harold B. Lee, November 1973, The First Presidency Statement on the Constitution, Ensign)

Every Latter-day Saint should sustain, honor, and obey the constitutional law of the land in which he lives. (President Spencer W. Kimball, April 1974, General Conference)

God [has] placed a mandate upon his people to befriend and defend the constitutional laws of the land and see that the rights and privileges of all mankind are protected. (Elder Ezra Taft Benson, October 1961, General Conference)

The Lord…directed that the constitutional laws of the land, supporting the principle of freedom, should be upheld ....We must study the Constitution and the writings of the Founding Fathers. (Elder Ezra Taft Benson, April 1962, General Conference)

We should understand the Constitution as the founders meant that it should be understood. (Elder Ezra Taft Benson, April 1976, General Conference)

Learn about the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and other basic documents of our great country so that you can sustain them and the free institutions set up under them. (Elder Ezra Taft Benson, July 1978, New Era)

We encourage Latter-day Saints throughout the nation to familiarize themselves with the Constitution. They should focus attention on it by reading and studying it. They should ponder the blessings that come through it. They should recommit themselves to its principles and be prepared to defend it and the freedom it provides.… (President Ezra Taft Benson, January 15, 1987, First Presidency Statement)

We must study and learn for ourselves the principles laid down in the Constitution which have preserved our freedoms for the last two hundred years.....We must learn the principles of the Constitution and then abide by its precepts. (President Ezra Taft Benson, September 1987, The Ensign)

...we must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers.
(President Ezra Taft Benson, October 1987, General Conference)

To honor the Constitution and to honor freedom is a sacred duty for all of us. (President Boyd K. Packer, 2 July 2009, Provo, UT Freedom Festival)

I see it as a responsibility for well-educated citizens, members of the bar and opinion leaders to be acquainted with the United States Constitution and its guarantees. (Elder Dallin Oaks, during a 2014 KSLRadio interview)

Should the members of the Church still study and live by the U.S. Constitution?
Absolutely! (Part of a 2014 conversation between a senior member of the Twelve and his home teacher)
Last edited by lundbaek on April 28th, 2017, 4:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Should Members of the Church Study and Abide by the US Constitution?

Post by Robin Hood »

To answer the OP question.... no.
US members of the church probably should, but the majority of LDS are not American.

Either I am having a severe bout of deja vue, or we have done this exact topic before.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I have posted here before that I have LDS friends and acquaintances from when we lived in England and in Denmark who told me they appreciate the principles of the US Constitution and would uphold and support them if they could. One of our friends in Denmark has done just that thru the Danish Conservative Party, which is about as conservative as it gets in DK. But at least he tries.

"Members of the Church probably should" ? To me the statements that I included in my OP make it very clear that Americans LDSs certainly should. But I note that a lot of American LDSs do not feel that way, although I have yet to hear on give a reason other than the Prophet is not talking about it now and/or the Constitution is no longer applicable in the USA. And a few local Church authorities have told me they would be concerned that the principles of the US Constitution would, if promoted as in years past, would create controversy among members.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I am reposting my OP because of the lines obscuring it rather badly.

The Lord Jesus the Christ and latter-day prophets and apostles have told Latter-day Saints certain things that they should be doing to uphold and preserve the Constitution of the United States. I compiled this repertoire of some of their statements for my own benefit, but maybe you can use some of this as you see fit. I find it sad that these messages can not be given in our church meetings now.
Ralph Hughes

I, the Lord, justify you, and your brethren of my church, in befriending that law which is the constitutional law of the land; (The Lord Jesus the Christ, August 6, 1833, Doctrine and Covenants 98:4-7)

[The] laws and constitution of the people, which I have suffered to be established…, should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles….. (The Lord Jesus the Christ, December 16, 1833, Doctrine and Covenants 101:77-80)

Every member of the priesthood should understand the divine plan designed by the Lord to raise up the first free people in modern times…. (Elder Ezra Taft Benson, October 1961, General Conference)

tand by the Constitution of your country; ( Joseph Smith, July 25, 1836, Messages of the First Presidency, 1:74-75)

let us sustain the Constitution that our fathers have bequeathed to us in letters of blood; (President Brigham Young, March 9, 1862, Journal of Discourses, 10:41)

t is for us still to sustain these glorious principles of liberty bequeathed by the founders of this nation, (President John Taylor, July 3, 1881, Journal of Discourses, 22:143)

...be true to the Constitution of the United States, (President John Taylor, October 9, 1881, Journal of Discourses, 22:295-296)

It is for us to sustain and maintain the principles guaranteed in that sacred palladium of human rights—the Constitution of the United States, (President John Taylor, March 5, 1882, Journal of Discourses, 23:36)

Members of the Church are under divine commandment to revere the Constitution as a heaven-inspired instrument. (President Wilford Woodruff, December 12, 1889, Messages of the First Presidency, 3:185)

Revelation and the commandments of the church requires that the Constitution and the laws of the land be upheld. (President Wilford Woodruff, December 16, 1889, Millennial Star, 50:788)

...never, so far as you have voice or influence, permit any departure from the principles of governments on which this nation was founded, or any disregard of the freedoms which, by the inspiration of God our Father, were written in the Constitution of the United States. (President Heber J. Grant, October 1944, General Conference)

You must serve the Lord and keep his commandments. It matters not what others may do, but for you there is only one course, and that is to be obedient to law, and to sustain the Constitution of this great land, (Elder George Albert Smith, October 1922, General Conference)

...it behooves those who do understand to consider seriously and faithfully, the benefits that will flow to us by honoring and sustaining the government that was reared under the direction of our heavenly Father…. (Elder George Albert Smith. October 1935, General Conference)

.I say to you: Sustain the Constitution of the United States, (President George Albert Smith, (November 1950, The Improvement Era, 53:869-870)

Next to being one in worshiping God, there is nothing in this world upon which this Church should be more united than in upholding and defending the Constitution of the United States. (Elder David O. McKay, October 1939, General Conference)

It is highly fitting, therefore, as a means of making the world better, not only to urge loyalty to the Constitution and to threatened fundamentals of the United States government, but to warn the people that there is evidence in the United States of disloyalty to tried and true fundamentals in government. (Elder David O. McKay, October 1940, General Conference)

...no greater immediate responsibility rests upon members of the Church, upon all citizens of this Republic and of neighboring Republics than to protect the freedom vouchsafed by the Constitution of the United States. (President David O. McLay, April 1950, General Conference "Free Agency…A Divine Gift," 37)

Next to being one in worshiping God, there is nothing in this world upon which this Church should be more united than in upholding and defending the Constitution of the United States! (President David O. McKay, February 1956, The Instructor, 91:34)

Our duty is to keep the commandments of the Lord, to walk uprightly, to defend every principle of truth, to sustain and uphold the Constitution of this great country, to remember the Declaration of Independence, for, as we heard this morning from our President, upon these principles our country was based. (President Joseph Fielding Smith, April 1952, General Conference)

...it is the duty of every member of the Church to protect and defend the Constitution against any and all attack. (President J. Reuben Clark, October 1950, General Conference)

We urge members of the Church and all Americans to begin now to reflect more intently on the meaning and importance of the Constitution, and of adherence to its principles. (President Harold B. Lee, November 1973, The First Presidency Statement on the Constitution, Ensign)

Every Latter-day Saint should sustain, honor, and obey the constitutional law of the land in which he lives. (President Spencer W. Kimball, April 1974, General Conference)

God [has] placed a mandate upon his people to befriend and defend the constitutional laws of the land and see that the rights and privileges of all mankind are protected. (Elder Ezra Taft Benson, October 1961, General Conference)

The Lord…directed that the constitutional laws of the land, supporting the principle of freedom, should be upheld ....We must study the Constitution and the writings of the Founding Fathers. (Elder Ezra Taft Benson, April 1962, General Conference)

We should understand the Constitution as the founders meant that it should be understood. (Elder Ezra Taft Benson, April 1976, General Conference)

Learn about the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and other basic documents of our great country so that you can sustain them and the free institutions set up under them. (Elder Ezra Taft Benson, July 1978, New Era)

We encourage Latter-day Saints throughout the nation to familiarize themselves with the Constitution. They should focus attention on it by reading and studying it. They should ponder the blessings that come through it. They should recommit themselves to its principles and be prepared to defend it and the freedom it provides.… (President Ezra Taft Benson, January 15, 1987, First Presidency Statement)

We must study and learn for ourselves the principles laid down in the Constitution which have preserved our freedoms for the last two hundred years.....We must learn the principles of the Constitution and then abide by its precepts. (President Ezra Taft Benson, September 1987, The Ensign)

...we must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers.
(President Ezra Taft Benson, October 1987, General Conference)

To honor the Constitution and to honor freedom is a sacred duty for all of us. (President Boyd K. Packer, 2 July 2009, Provo, UT Freedom Festival)

I see it as a responsibility for well-educated citizens, members of the bar and opinion leaders to be acquainted with the United States Constitution and its guarantees. (Elder Dallin Oaks, during a 2014 KSLRadio interview)

Should the members of the Church still study and live by the U.S. Constitution?
Absolutely! (Part of a 2014 conversation between a senior member of the Twelve and his home teacher)

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

American members should study the American constitution. Those outside are under no obligation but it would be nice if they did so.

Only problem is, most nations outside the world hate America so much that to reemphasize the Constitution at a global level, would result in the enemies of the Church outside America to call it zapadnaya sekta, in Russia, or secta americana, in Latin America. Such a claim would be unfair, if they read the Constitution, but a lot of the "miembros chairos" (radical leftist members) don't want anything to do with the USA.

The JWs just got banned in Russia, for example, for being accused of being a fifth column against Russia. Other nations have an uneasy relationship with us. So it would be unwise to emphasize the Constitution in a global setting but it would be better to emphasize it in American meetings.

The lack of talks on the Constitution, has animated leftists in the States to proclaim that it isn't doctrine because the Prophets say nothing on the matter. Such couldn't be further from the truth.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

I think there is a message here that is very much applicable to the Constitution, wherein members of the church fail to see the importance and necessity to uphold it; they fail to understand that it was God that provided it, not man, just as he did the scriptures. Moroni was about to go and destroy those in government had Pahoran not responded to an epistle from Moroni stating that those around him were hampering him from doing his duty. Today many members of the church sustain the trampling of the Constitution in one way or another.

So let's see what scripture has to offer. Are there any parallels?:

2 Nephi 10:16-17
16 Wherefore, he that fighteth against Zion, both Jew and Gentile, both bond and free, both male and female, shall perish; for they are they who are the whore of all the earth; for they who are not for me are against me, saith our God.

Ether 2:9 (8–11)
8 And he had sworn in his wrath unto the brother of Jared, that whoso should possess this land of promise, from that time henceforth and forever, should serve him, the true and only God, or they should be swept off when the fulness of his wrath should come upon them.
9 And now, we can behold the decrees of God concerning this land, that it is a land of promise; and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall serve God, or they shall be swept off when the fulness of his wrath shall come upon them. And the fulness of his wrath cometh upon them when they are ripened in iniquity.
10 For behold, this is a land which is choice above all other lands; wherefore he that doth possess it shall serve God or shall be swept off; for it is the everlasting decree of God. And it is not until the fulness of iniquity among the children of the land, that they are swept off.
11 And this cometh unto you, O ye Gentiles, that ye may know the decrees of God—that ye may repent, and not continue in your iniquities until the fulness come, that ye may not bring down the fulness of the wrath of God upon you as the inhabitants of the land have hitherto done.

Matt. 12:30
30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

If members of the church outside of the US have no responsibility toward the Constitution, then why did God say it was for ALL FLESH? Just who are all flesh? Where are all flesh?

[The] laws and constitution of the people, which I have suffered to be established…, should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Together, the flag and the Constitution make up our modern day "Title of Liberty" our message to the world we are a free nation, better yet, a free people. When people in other nations see or hear about our Constitution, they know it represents a different type of Government, a different type of people. Many people have learned about our way of life and have sought to come here and live the American dream.
As of the last few decades the American dream has been quashed by controlling laws, greedy men and wicked minded politicians. Too many Americans now live off of welfare and are puffed up knowing that other hard working individuals are providing these so called benefits. Now many from other countries only want to come to America for free stuff...without any interest in the Constitution and what it took to get it.
But if those of us in this country, those who still believe in the flag and the Constitution will stand strong and voice our displeasure of the decay of our Constitutional Republic, the message still goes out that we have a better way of life than most.

How many people even know what type of Government we're supposed to have. For those that say a Democracy...that answer is incorrect.

Here is some gooooood info! The Constitution as Supreme Law

http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/outlines/gove ... me-law.php

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

We almost never study those sections of D&C in Sunday school or priesthood here in Canada.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Elder Boyd K. Packer, speaking to the J. Reuben Clark Law School at BYU 28 Feb. 2004 said:

"Will the Constitution be destroyed? No. It will be held inviolate by this people; and as Joseph Smith said "the time will come when the destiny of this nation will hang upon a single thread, and at this critical juncture, this people will step forth and save it from the threatened destruction."

"It will be so. I doo not know when that day will come or how it will come to pass. I feel sure that when it does come to pass, among thosoe who will step forward from among this people will be men who hold the Holy Priesthood...And women also, of honor. And there will be judges as well.

"Others from the world outside the Church will come, as Thomas Kane did, and bring with them their knowledge of the law to protect this people. We may one day stand alone, but we will not change or lower our standards, or change our course."

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

"Should it be of concern to us when the mouthpiece of the Lord keeps constantly and consistently raising his voice of warning about how the loss of our freedom as he has over the years? There are two unrighteous ways to deal with his prophetic words of warning: you can fight them or you can ignore them. Either course will bring you disaster in the long run. Hear his words: "No greater immediate responsibility rests upon members of the Church, upon all citizens of this Republic and of neighboring Republics than to protect the freedom vouchsafed by the Constitution of the United States." (Ezra Taft Benson, 6 April 1965)

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

lundbaek wrote: April 28th, 2017, 4:27 pm I have posted here before that I have LDS friends and acquaintances from when we lived in England and in Denmark who told me they appreciate the principles of the US Constitution and would uphold and support them if they could. One of our friends in Denmark has done just that thru the Danish Conservative Party, which is about as conservative as it gets in DK. But at least he tries.

"Members of the Church probably should" ? To me the statements that I included in my OP make it very clear that Americans LDSs certainly should. But I note that a lot of American LDSs do not feel that way, although I have yet to hear on give a reason other than the Prophet is not talking about it now and/or the Constitution is no longer applicable in the USA. And a few local Church authorities have told me they would be concerned that the principles of the US Constitution would, if promoted as in years past, would create controversy among members.
They may well apreciate it, but that is not the same as studying it.
I have never read the US constitution and have zero desire to do so. It has nothing to do with me, nor I with it.
To expect, for example, Russian LDS to study the US constitution is just ridiculous.
I know you Americans are very fond of your constitution, and rightly so. But it is of no interest to the majority of church members. They have their own constitutions, of which they are no doubt equally fond.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Now there is one of the most correct statements I have read on this forum, that the US Constitution "is of no interest to the majority of Church members." And that certainly includes American Latter-day Saints. Maybe 3-4 years ago I tallied up the count of 16 American members of the Church who have some admonition in their patriarchal blessing to study the US Constitution in preparation for participating in preserving it, and not a one of them has done anything about it up to that time.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Robin Hood wrote: April 29th, 2017, 3:14 pm
lundbaek wrote: April 28th, 2017, 4:27 pm I have posted here before that I have LDS friends and acquaintances from when we lived in England and in Denmark who told me they appreciate the principles of the US Constitution and would uphold and support them if they could. One of our friends in Denmark has done just that thru the Danish Conservative Party, which is about as conservative as it gets in DK. But at least he tries.

I have never read the US constitution and have zero desire to do so. It has nothing to do with me, nor I with it.
To expect, for example, Russian LDS to study the US constitution is just ridiculous.
I know you Americans are very fond of your constitution, and rightly so. But it is of no interest to the majority of church members. They have their own constitutions, of which they are no doubt equally fond.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signing_o ... he_signers

Virtually every signer had taken part in the Revolution; at least 29 had served in the Continental forces, most of them in positions of command. All but seven were native to the thirteen colonies:

Pierce Butler, Thomas Fitzsimons, James McHenry, and William Paterson were born in Ireland,
Robert Morris in England,
James Wilson in Scotland, and
Alexander Hamilton in the West Indies.

And you have no interest in reading it?

Scene at the Signing of the Constitution of the United States.jpg
Scene at the Signing of the Constitution of the United States.jpg (195.96 KiB) Viewed 2170 times

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

We should abide and sustain the law of the land that we are in. In many countries people would go to jail if they applied the constitution as it was originally written. The LDS church is worldwide and one can't implement a global law to all LDS.

Jehovah's Witnesses banned by Russian court as 'extremist' organisation, ordered to disband
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-21/r ... on/8459994

Should the LDS church continue preaching as usual and apply the US constitution in Russia and get all property confiscated by gov and the members and missionaries thrown in jail....
Six Mormon missionaries, now known in Russia simply as "volunteers," were detained briefly about two weeks ago by authorities in that nation's Samara region due to questions about their visas, the Utah-based LDS Church reported Friday.

They were held for a "few hours," said Eric Hawkins, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. "Three of the volunteers have been reassigned to another Russian-speaking mission outside of the country because of technicalities related to their visas."

All of this follows on the heels of the recent moniker change from "missionary" to "volunteer," which the LDS Church implemented in response to a Russian anti-terrorism law that restricts religious work to houses of worship and other faith-related sites.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I am not suggesting that LDS missionaries teach about the U.S. Constitution. I am trying to make members who are reasonably well founded in their understanding of the Gospel aware of their doctrinal imperative to preserve liberty. I would hope that as new members increase their understanding of the Gospel they would see that, for example, the Book of Mormon reveals the design and will of Heavenly Father concerning the political liberty of His children, and figure out for themselves that they have a sacred duty to learn and espouse the principles of the US Constitution, right along with other principles of the Gospel.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Spaced_Out wrote: April 29th, 2017, 5:51 pm

We should abide and sustain the law of the land that we are in. In many countries people would go to jail if they applied the constitution as it was originally written. The LDS church is worldwide and one can't implement a global law to all LDS.

Jehovah's Witnesses banned by Russian court as 'extremist' organisation, ordered to disband
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-21/r ... on/8459994

Should the LDS church continue preaching as usual and apply the US constitution in Russia and get all property confiscated by gov and the members and missionaries thrown in jail....
Six Mormon missionaries, now known in Russia simply as "volunteers," were detained briefly about two weeks ago by authorities in that nation's Samara region due to questions about their visas, the Utah-based LDS Church reported Friday.

They were held for a "few hours," said Eric Hawkins, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. "Three of the volunteers have been reassigned to another Russian-speaking mission outside of the country because of technicalities related to their visas."

All of this follows on the heels of the recent moniker change from "missionary" to "volunteer," which the LDS Church implemented in response to a Russian anti-terrorism law that restricts religious work to houses of worship and other faith-related sites.
Perhaps missionaries are going to to have to put their trust in the word of God, huh?

Psalm 56:11
11 In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.

Doctrine and Covenants 30:11
11 And your whole labor shall be in Zion, with all your soul, from henceforth; yea, you shall ever open your mouth in my cause, not fearing what man can do, for I am with you. Amen.

Doctrine and Covenants 122:9
9 Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

Isa. 51:7
7 ¶ Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings.

Ps. 56:4 (4, 11)
4 In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

Luke 12:5 (4–5)
4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

D&C 98:14
14 Therefore, be not afraid of your enemies, for I have decreed in my heart, saith the Lord, that I will prove you in all things, whether you will abide in my covenant, even unto death, that you may be found worthy.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

lundbaek wrote: April 29th, 2017, 6:43 pm I am not suggesting that LDS missionaries teach about the U.S. Constitution. I am trying to make members who are reasonably well founded in their understanding of the Gospel aware of their doctrinal imperative to preserve liberty. I would hope that as new members increase their understanding of the Gospel they would see that, for example, the Book of Mormon reveals the design and will of Heavenly Father concerning the political liberty of His children, and figure out for themselves that they have a sacred duty to learn and espouse the principles of the US Constitution, right along with other principles of the Gospel.
Here is an example of how important liberty is. Without the Constitution we would not have any liberty.

Alma 58:12
12 And we did take courage with our small force which we had received, and were fixed with a determination to conquer our enemies, and to maintain our lands, and our possessions, and our wives, and our children, and the cause of our liberty.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Liberty has been as important as breathing by these things scripture teaches us.

Liberty
in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing, Ex. 21:2.

proclaim liberty throughout all the land, Lev. 25:10.

I will walk at liberty, Ps. 119:45.

to let the oppressed go free, Isa. 58:6.

to proclaim liberty to the captives, Isa. 61:1.

made a covenant … to proclaim liberty unto them, Jer. 34:8.

I proclaim a liberty for you, Jer. 34:17.

it shall be his to the year of liberty, Ezek. 46:17.

to set at liberty them that are bruised, Luke 4:18.

know the truth, and the truth shall make you free, John 8:32.

If the Son … make you free, ye shall be free indeed, John 8:36.

glorious liberty of the children of God, Rom. 8:21.

she is at liberty to be married, 1 Cor. 7:39.

lest … this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock, 1 Cor. 8:9.

is my liberty judged of another man’s conscience, 1 Cor. 10:29.

where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty, 2 Cor. 3:17.

our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, Gal. 2:4.

Stand … in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, Gal. 5:1 (Mosiah 23:13; Alma 58:40; 61:9; D&C 88:86).

ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty, Gal. 5:13.

Know ye that … Timothy is set at liberty, Heb. 13:23.

whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, James 1:25.

they that shall be judged by the law of liberty, James 2:12.

not using your liberty for a cloak of maliciousness, 1 Pet. 2:16.

they promise them liberty, 2 Pet. 2:19.

shall be a land of liberty unto them, 2 Ne. 1:7.

men are free … to choose liberty and eternal life, 2 Ne. 2:27.

this land shall be a land of liberty unto the Gentiles, 2 Ne. 10:11.

no other head whereby ye can be made free, Mosiah 5:8.

I desire that this land be a land of liberty, Mosiah 29:32.

rejoiced because of the liberty which had been granted, Mosiah 29:39.

study … that they may destroy the liberty, Alma 8:17.

have the liberty of worshiping the Lord, Alma 21:22.

that they might preserve their … liberty, Alma 43:9.

only desire … their liberty, and their church, Alma 43:30.

fighting for their homes and their liberties, Alma 43:45.

they cried … unto the Lord … for their liberty, Alma 43:49.

by that liberty which binds us to our lands, Alma 44:5.

to destroy the foundation of liberty, Alma 46:10.

let us preserve our liberty as a remnant of Joseph, Alma 46:24.

all … were desirous to maintain their liberty, Alma 46:28.

he caused the title of liberty to be hoisted, Alma 46:36.

he was preparing to support their liberty, Alma 48:10.

consequences would lead to the overthrow of their liberty, Alma 50:32.

Pahoran and also many of the people of liberty, Alma 51:7 (51:13).

should take up arms and support the cause of liberty, Alma 51:17.

yielded to the standard of liberty, Alma 51:20.

they never would give up their liberty, Alma 53:17.

did think more upon the liberty of their fathers, Alma 56:47.

our wives, and our children, and the cause of our liberty, Alma 58:12.

freedom and welfare of my country, Alma 60:36.

in the defence of their country and their freedom, Alma 61:6.

Spirit of God, which is also the spirit of freedom, Alma 61:15.

he did raise the standard of liberty, Alma 62:4.

true friend to liberty, Alma 62:37.

sought to destroy the liberty of the people, Hel. 1:8.

of their worship, and their freedom and their liberty, 3 Ne. 2:12.

in the defence of your liberty, 3 Ne. 3:2.

that they would murder no more were set at liberty, 3 Ne. 5:4.

that the land should no more be at liberty, 3 Ne. 6:30.

this is a choice land … free from bondage, Ether 2:12.

seeketh to overthrow the freedom of all lands, Ether 8:25.

follow me, and you shall be a free people, D&C 38:22.

law of the land … supporting that principle of freedom, D&C 98:5.

Lord God, make you free, therefore ye are free, D&C 98:8.

laws and constitution … maintained for the rights, D&C 101:77 (101:76–79).

laws … secure to each … free exercise of conscience, D&C 134:2 (134:1–3).

laws … holding sacred the freedom of conscience, D&C 134:5.

liberty to the captives … unto all who would repent, D&C 138:31.
..........................................................................................................................
So we see that liberty is NOT just for Americans.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

It should be obvious that the Lord and his Prophets tried to get us to honour the US Constitution and to honour liberty because people need to be free to choose the lives that they will lead, and accept the consequences that pertain to those choices. Freedom to control private property, freedom of religion and speech, freedom to associate with others, freedom to travel as one wishes are among the important characteristics of liberty. Without these and other freedoms we cannot be adequately tested on our faithfulness to God and the Gospel.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

lundbaek wrote: April 29th, 2017, 6:43 pm I am not suggesting that LDS missionaries teach about the U.S. Constitution. I am trying to make members who are reasonably well founded in their understanding of the Gospel aware of their doctrinal imperative to preserve liberty. I would hope that as new members increase their understanding of the Gospel they would see that, for example, the Book of Mormon reveals the design and will of Heavenly Father concerning the political liberty of His children, and figure out for themselves that they have a sacred duty to learn and espouse the principles of the US Constitution, right along with other principles of the Gospel.
The doctrinal inperative to preserve liberty is clearly defined and demonstrated in the Book of Mormon.
No need to require members to seek extra-scriptural sources; all they need is there.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

freedomforall wrote: April 29th, 2017, 5:45 pm
Robin Hood wrote: April 29th, 2017, 3:14 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signing_o ... he_signers

Virtually every signer had taken part in the Revolution; at least 29 had served in the Continental forces, most of them in positions of command. All but seven were native to the thirteen colonies:

Pierce Butler, Thomas Fitzsimons, James McHenry, and William Paterson were born in Ireland,
Robert Morris in England,
James Wilson in Scotland, and
Alexander Hamilton in the West Indies.

And you have no interest in reading it?

Scene at the Signing of the Constitution of the United States.jpg
So what!
I also have no interest in these people; all of whom were technically treasonous.
Last edited by Robin Hood on April 30th, 2017, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

freedomforall wrote: April 29th, 2017, 6:45 pm Perhaps missionaries are going to to have to put their trust in the word of God, huh?
No, you have painted a target on where your arrows are falling and only seeing one doctrine to the exclusion of the entire program. Zion can't be established with blood.

At the first hint of trouble the LDS removes missionaries. In south Africa they have removed all sister missionaries as there is a rape epidemic. You are saying the church leadership are acting contrary to scripture and have no faith. It is prophecies that the missionaries will be withdrawn due to wickedness - perhaps you say it is the wickedness of the missionaries.

What does the constitution say about plural marriage - due to pressure the church withdrew the practice. We honour and obey and sustain the law of the land that is established by the voice of the people. So if the majority of the people choose wickedness that is their freedom of choice. Taking a gun and killing people to force them to live a righteous law is contrary to the basic principle of eternity.

The constitution as I have very many time posted on it is a law of righteousness and a wicked people can never live by such a law, that is why they have change the constitution - the constitution has fallen and will not rise again until the people repent - most likely will have to wait for Zion to be established .

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

freedomforall wrote: April 29th, 2017, 6:45 pm Perhaps missionaries are going to to have to put their trust in the word of God, huh?
Why don't you go and show us your faith and go and go door knocking downtown in the Chicago ghettos, and tell them you have a constitutional right to safety and to preach the gospel wherever you want - I will send your family flowers.

A direct attack on the LDS church by saying the missionaries only need faith and trust says it all. In the scriptures we are told if they don't want us then dust you feet off the area and move on - it is not a question of trust.

...Free to have the same opinion as me or else...

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Spaced_Out wrote: April 30th, 2017, 1:48 am
Why don't you go and show us your faith and go and go door knocking downtown in the Chicago ghettos, and tell them you have a constitutional right to safety and to preach the gospel wherever you want - I will send your family flowers.

A direct attack on the LDS church by saying the missionaries only need faith and trust says it all. In the scriptures we are told if they don't want us then dust you feet off the area and move on - it is not a question of trust.
Read Prov 3:5,6 and then say it is not a matter of trust.
...Free to have the same opinion as me or else...
Tell me, Spaced Out, did I say missionaries HAVE to trust in the word of God, or did I say PERHAPS they should?

Also, of all these scriptures, which ones do you think I authored?
Which ones do you claim are a direct attack on the LDS church?
Which ones should be treated as dross and tossed out?

Why does God's word make you so mad? What does D&C 98:14 mean? Or is it merely a section filler used to lengthen the section context? What about D&C 30:11? Or Isa 51:7?

Psalm 56:11

Doctrine and Covenants 30:11
11 And your whole labor shall be in Zion, with all your soul, from henceforth; yea, you shall ever open your mouth in my cause, not fearing what man can do, for I am with you. Amen.

Doctrine and Covenants 122:9
9 Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

Isa. 51:7
7 ¶ Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings.

Ps. 56:4 (4, 11)
4 In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

Luke 12:5 (4–5)
4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

D&C 98:14
14 Therefore, be not afraid of your enemies, for I have decreed in my heart, saith the Lord, that I will prove you in all things, whether you will abide in my covenant, even unto death, that you may be found worthy.

Did Jesus have any enemies? Did any of them want to harm him? Who did he put his trust in?