What are some ideas that could bring the left and right together?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

What are some ideas that could bring the left and right together?

Post by Original_Intent »

I know. It seems like the gap between ideologies is a vast, uncrossable gulf.

One thought I have had recently, is, although I am against all, non-voluntary forms of wealth redistribution, I feel that a compromise that any reasonable person should agree to is:

No person who is receiving government assistance should under any circumstances be supported at a higher standard of living than someone who is working to support themselves and their family.

Of course there are a bazillion examples of "but what about ______?". But, I think the idea of laying some common groundwork that people on both the left and the right can agree on is something that we desperately need.

I'd like to invite people to come up with other ideas, that while they may not represent your ideals, might at least be common ground that you feel that most people could come together on. I'd like to ask people to not be critical of these ideas because they may compromise principles that you hold dear.

Let's hear them!

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: What are some ideas that could bring the left and right together?

Post by David13 »

I can't really think of a single thing.
It looks like no one else can either, or at least in one and a half days. Maybe someone is still thinking about it.
I guess it's like trying to herd cats. Cats don't like to go anywhere is straight lines.
Or trying to find logic in a mental institution. You might see a little bit here and there, but then ti all gets thrown out the window.

Here in California they see that people don't obey the law. So what do they do? Wholesale release of prisoners from the prisons, and ...
pass more laws!

I think even the right is today so splintered and unable to compromise that not much can be accomplished. Fortunately Donald Trump decided to take action at this time and, against the wishes of a large part of the right, and the Republican Party took over. Won.

Thank God for that.
dc

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

Put all Liberals in California then wall it off.

:p

L4t3rD4yS41nT
captain of 10

Post by L4t3rD4yS41nT »

Unfortunately the only thing that tends to unite the country are terrorist attacks and war. 9/11 and WW2 are the best examples of this. Iraq and Afghanistan we were and still are divided on. So I believe that a major conflict would unite our country, like a war with Russia and North Korea. Isn't this sad? Maybe I am wrong in this thinking.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I have noted cases in which people on government assistance secretly work on the side, not reporting their moonlighting income to the government as required by law.

I think only a thorough understanding of the Gospel by all people could bring people on both sides together.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

Agreed, Lundbaek. When first reading the question, what came to my mind immediately is: THE GOSPEL!!! Perhaps that is why we should all step up our efforts in helping our full time missionaries. People sometimes shy away from missionary work thinking that they need to literally bear their testimony. I sincerely believe we can bear our testimonies by the way we live and treat each other. There are many ways one can "bear testimony" in casual discussion without saying "I would like to bear my testimony." I have given this much thought lately. Our actions PLUS our words ARE OUR TESTIMONIES! Surely we all know that the Gospel is the answer to all of life's ills.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

The middle ground is eroding and two cultures with totally differing views on life will evolve. Eventually the economy will collapse and you will see The Walking Dead come to life.

The time is now to try to find issues that will connect with liberal friends and family but once that door shuts then say hello to the fulfillment of prophecies.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Re. Uniting left and right members of the Church: The main purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ, but it also reveals the design and will of God concerning the political liberty of His children. Unfortunately, there is a widespread complacency within the LDS community on all things political. In addition to that, there is a misunderstanding of certain Gospel principles among LDS people; a misunderstanding that leads to or permits the assumption that charity includes the compulsion of people to pay to help meet the needs of others. I think this is why we find so many LDS people supporting government enforced welfare, illegal immigration, foreign aid, and even acts of undeclared war.

And reading the Book of Mormon alone is no guarantee of a person understanding the proper role of government. Among our closest LDS neighbors was a family of six that read the Book of Mormon faithfully every morning as the 4 daughters were growing up . Today, at least most of the family members are flaming liberals.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

What happens when the left comes to a rally?

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealRedElep ... f=NEWSFEED

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

Prison reform is an issue that gets pretty good support from both sides of the aisle.

The Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street both hate big banks.

Cracking down on sexual assault in the military recently got wide support from left and right.

Everyone agrees we should take better care of our veterans.

Both parties say we should fix our crumbling infrastructure.

The biggest problem I see is when right and left agree on something that benefits the political class. There is strong bipartisan support for minimizing the influence of third parties, allowing lobbyists to flourish, allowing big business to write legislation, keeping the war on drugs going, resisting meaningful electoral reform, eroding privacy, and globalist foreign policy.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

War!
Left and right set aside their differences and fought together against a common enemy in WWII. Perhaps this is the only thing which will work now.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

It occurs to me that exposure of the conspiracy to impose regional governments (NAU, EU, etc.) and a world government to manage them all would be a good start, followed by exposure of the chaos, including the refugee crisis, the illegal immigration crisis, terrorism, financial/economic upheaval, wars and threats of wars, etc., that the conspirators are fomenting to force us to accept their global government.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

For one, the Gospel, correctly understood.

There are many Latin members that are leftist. As of the end of this year there will be more of them than the American members.

Mexico and Brazil approaching 1.5 million members each, both self sufficient in missionaries, are examples.

Don't underestimate Africa. Growing by leaps and bounds. Nigeria now has more congregations than Canada.