Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Discussion of principles relating to God's Law, Agency, Freedom, Liberty, the US constitution, and the Proper Role of Government.
User avatar
freedomforall
Gnolaum 14000
Posts: 14867
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: OVER AND UNDER AND THROUGH THE WOODS

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby freedomforall » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:42 am

Rachael wrote:I haven't walked a mile in your shoes, and vice versa. I wouldn't know Melissa I real life from Adam (or Eve) and vice versa again. Nor is their some collaboration between us. I disagree with everyone some of the time, then we night part ways on other threads. Or just certain posts. I'm not part of some clique. Or ever will be.

If you want to become stronger in the doctrine of men, when Christ is the one who should get all the credit for saving wretches like us, suit yourself.

Okay, here we go.

GUESS WHO

REALITY...IS NOTHING MORE THAN FANTASY IN ACTION.

To the very best of my recollection...I don't remember!

Sponsored Links

Advertisements

Medical Cost Sharing - It's not insurance it's better!

User avatar
Rachael
Captain of whatever
Posts: 2360
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby Rachael » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:53 pm

:) That's moe better, as long as its a two way street

User avatar
freedomforall
Gnolaum 14000
Posts: 14867
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: OVER AND UNDER AND THROUGH THE WOODS

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby freedomforall » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:46 pm

Rachael wrote::) That's moe better, as long as its a two way street


Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
GUESS WHO

REALITY...IS NOTHING MORE THAN FANTASY IN ACTION.

To the very best of my recollection...I don't remember!

User avatar
Rachael
Captain of whatever
Posts: 2360
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby Rachael » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:03 pm


You know you love me...or at least contending with me.

:ymdevil:

User avatar
freedomforall
Gnolaum 14000
Posts: 14867
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: OVER AND UNDER AND THROUGH THE WOODS

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby freedomforall » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:02 pm

You're Not the Only One, Joseph Gordon-Levitt

GUESS WHO

REALITY...IS NOTHING MORE THAN FANTASY IN ACTION.

To the very best of my recollection...I don't remember!

User avatar
freedomforall
Gnolaum 14000
Posts: 14867
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: OVER AND UNDER AND THROUGH THE WOODS

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby freedomforall » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:14 pm

Actually, I was going by a phrase in song titles, not so much the panoply of lyrics. Sometimes lyrics can be misleading and a person can get a wrong impression of intent.
Another one is "Get off of my cloud." Or "Wake up little susie." Or even "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying." Or "You'll Never Walk Alone."

Please, please Mr. Postman, get off of my cloud you Runaway. Like that.
GUESS WHO

REALITY...IS NOTHING MORE THAN FANTASY IN ACTION.

To the very best of my recollection...I don't remember!

User avatar
WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:09 am

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby WhereCanITurn4Peace » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:52 am

freedomforall wrote:Why have faith to not be healed? No sense asking for a blessing with this attitude. A better question is: "do you have the faith to be healed?" Makes more sense, does it not?


Because sometimes it is Heavenly Father's will that we struggle with certain conditions or situations to teach us something important... whether it be patience, learn to trust in Him, etc...our trials are tailored for our individual needs and learning experiences and sometimes it means we will not be healed. Just saw a wonderful talk by Elder Bednar about this very issue...

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2016/08/acce ... g?lang=eng

freedomforall wrote: Funny you'd ask. Yes, I have been depressed, sometimes severely, and have been for nearly fifty years. I've taken meds for it for about twenty five years, so it don't slam me to the ground. To summarize, during the time I was not on meds I would go home from work, have dinner and later sit on the floor in front of the television, rest my back against the couch, and stay there all night with the TV still on, then shower and go back to work. I did this routine for weeks on end. Is that depressed enough for you?

All the while my grievous sins kept stacking up and taunting me. I got to where I loathed myself. I became angry all the time, hard to live with and was a miserable, disgusting human being. My sins still kept stacking up against me. It was so bad that I wanted to die and be banished to a place where I would never, ever have to face God. I didn't trust Bishops around where I lived so I felt stuck between a rock and a hard place.

One day I got on my knees and begged God to help me, I felt like my life should come to an end. Then came the news that I was being transferred out of state by my employer. I went through a divorce and lost my family...and drove alone to my next home.

I drank some, swore like a banshee and said to heck with life. My sins, many, many kept stacking up against me.

Then one day as I was driving around I saw a chapel near where I lived. I researched and got the phone number for the bishop there. My intention was to go in and ask for my name to be removed from the records of the church, I had no hope of redemption. My sins tormented my whole inside.

Long story short, this is where I went through a horrific and difficult repentance process because the bishop saw right through me and with sternness and care he helped me to rid myself of all my sins. Does anyone know how difficult it is to confess terrible sins going back decades to someone you don't even know? I came very close to excommunication, but due to the fact I went and confessed on my own, the Bishop helped me over a period of a long time until I was able to receive a temple recommend. So I went from near suicide to complete peace and joy in my bosom.


Thank you for sharing your story. I hope it will help those in similar circumstances, but it appears as if your depression was due to shame and guilt, not a chemical imbalance in the brain or other issue like Melissa was referring to.

Let us cover each other in a cloak of charity and strive to understand one another's burdens.
There is no habit, no addiction, no rebellion, no transgression, no apostasy, no crime exempted from the promise of complete forgiveness. That is the promise of the atonement of Christ.

~Boyd K. Packer

User avatar
freedomforall
Gnolaum 14000
Posts: 14867
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: OVER AND UNDER AND THROUGH THE WOODS

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby freedomforall » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:51 pm

WhereCanITurn4Peace wrote:
freedomforall wrote:Why have faith to not be healed? No sense asking for a blessing with this attitude. A better question is: "do you have the faith to be healed?" Makes more sense, does it not?


Because sometimes it is Heavenly Father's will that we struggle with certain conditions or situations to teach us something important... whether it be patience, learn to trust in Him, etc...our trials are tailored for our individual needs and learning experiences and sometimes it means we will not be healed. Just saw a wonderful talk by Elder Bednar about this very issue...

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2016/08/acce ... g?lang=eng

freedomforall wrote: Funny you'd ask. Yes, I have been depressed, sometimes severely, and have been for nearly fifty years. I've taken meds for it for about twenty five years, so it don't slam me to the ground. To summarize, during the time I was not on meds I would go home from work, have dinner and later sit on the floor in front of the television, rest my back against the couch, and stay there all night with the TV still on, then shower and go back to work. I did this routine for weeks on end. Is that depressed enough for you?

All the while my grievous sins kept stacking up and taunting me. I got to where I loathed myself. I became angry all the time, hard to live with and was a miserable, disgusting human being. My sins still kept stacking up against me. It was so bad that I wanted to die and be banished to a place where I would never, ever have to face God. I didn't trust Bishops around where I lived so I felt stuck between a rock and a hard place.

One day I got on my knees and begged God to help me, I felt like my life should come to an end. Then came the news that I was being transferred out of state by my employer. I went through a divorce and lost my family...and drove alone to my next home.

I drank some, swore like a banshee and said to heck with life. My sins, many, many kept stacking up against me.

Then one day as I was driving around I saw a chapel near where I lived. I researched and got the phone number for the bishop there. My intention was to go in and ask for my name to be removed from the records of the church, I had no hope of redemption. My sins tormented my whole inside.

Long story short, this is where I went through a horrific and difficult repentance process because the bishop saw right through me and with sternness and care he helped me to rid myself of all my sins. Does anyone know how difficult it is to confess terrible sins going back decades to someone you don't even know? I came very close to excommunication, but due to the fact I went and confessed on my own, the Bishop helped me over a period of a long time until I was able to receive a temple recommend. So I went from near suicide to complete peace and joy in my bosom.


Thank you for sharing your story. I hope it will help those in similar circumstances, but it appears as if your depression was due to shame and guilt, not a chemical imbalance in the brain or other issue like Melissa was referring to.

Let us cover each other in a cloak of charity and strive to understand one another's burdens.

Actually my depression goes back to childhood, going from minor to severe over the years. It's kinda funny. I asked a doctor once that if I were to go off my meds how would I feel. His profound reply was "You wouldn't like it."
Depression and sin do not mix. To sin and have remorse, shame and guilt is bad enough, but to add chemical imbalance, which I do have, into the mix is sheer hell. And at one point during my repentance, I experienced the buffetings of Satan for weeks. He told me I was a son of perdition among other horrible things in an attempt to get me back into his clutches. My experiences at that time may be unique to my person because of my emotional status. To others, repentance of that scale may be much easier. However, the joy and peace in my bosom after it was all done and over with...made the experience worth it. It took nearly two years to overcome the whole experience. I even went to professional counselors for a time in order to get back some emotional stability. That was almost twenty-one years ago.
I sure know a lot more of how God thinks than before. Not all, obviously, but a lot more. This is why I defend Christ so adamantly, because of the mercy and grace and love he showed me by me finally going to confession and getting everything out on the table.
You see, here's the deal. When we confess our sins, all of them, to our bishop, Satan has no power to hold them against us after death. This is something my bishop told me. So sins that are not confessed can be used against us by Satan, especially moral issues. Satan knows us, he knows what buttons to push, he knows how we act and how we think by having his minions watching us and reporting their observances. Old Scratch will take us down however and with whatever he can. Once he gets his chains wrapped around us he drags us to hell with no conscience, but having another sense of victory. And we then are doomed to misery and pain until the day of redemption except sons of perdition. SEE: D&C 76:85 (81-86)
GUESS WHO

REALITY...IS NOTHING MORE THAN FANTASY IN ACTION.

To the very best of my recollection...I don't remember!

zionminded
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby zionminded » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:50 pm

freedomforall wrote:
zionminded wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
zionminded wrote:
Repent for it?

Nobody is keeping score. Nobody but the person who is in guilt and shame cycles.

Real repentance is identifying the limiting belief or false belief and learning new and better ways of thinking and becoming like God.

Can a person who sins and does not forsake them become like God? This is a rather simple question.


Depends on what you consider sin. Some sins we make up, other are very important.

Mosiah 4:29,30
29 And finally, I cannot tell you all the things whereby ye may commit sin; for there are divers ways and means, even so many that I cannot number them.
30 But this much I can tell you, that if ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, and continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your lives, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not.


This is the problem with sexuality, we always assume that any sexual experience is dirty. It can be, but not always.
#1 Lie - You are separate from God and others

zionminded
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby zionminded » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:55 pm

freedomforall wrote:
zionminded wrote:I need to chime in here a bit.

My profession is a mental health counselor. So I know a bit about this subject.

MOST masturbation (MB) habits are normal, for teens or adults. Nearly all men have or will, and nearly all women do. Nearly 40 percent or so of aging adults do it (over 70).

Having said that, SOME of the time there is a problem. It can be problematic if the behavior interferes with your life, your relationships or your health. But there are situations where the rhetoric around it is worse. For example, MB causes you to be gay or MB leads to more sexual exploration in unhealthy ways. Both are proven false, many times over.

The problem comes in our church where sexuality is so taboo. It comes when we simply DO NOT talk about it at all. We only talk about the bad things and not the healthy things. The "don't touch it" message is not helpful. It is important for people to beable explore their own sexuality (in a healthy way). Your bishop may or may not be objective, and he likely has ZERO idea to identify MB habits related to anxiety, depression, social issues, sexual problems, and a LONG list of things that they will not understand.

I'm NOT saying, people should create habits that replace normal behaviors. Comorbid problems such as compulsive porn use can cause a great deal of harm in relationships and more.

Additionally, there are some HUGE HUGE spiritual things sexual replacements (such as MB), and INCLUDING many hetronormative sexual behaviors will LIMIT your spiritual growth if you don't address them. (Big topic here on that one).

Please PM me if you have question offline, or please, find a mental heath counselor to help you. (Note your bishop can and should counsel you on your spiritual journey in the church, but not your sexual journey or questions anymore than your Bishop would address physical health issues like blood pressure or financial issues like retirement investment)

And I'm sure you learned all this from books in College and other studies except scripture. Since when does school studies supersede scriptural truth? To say that just because almost every person in society masturbates, it is considered normal. Do you see how ludicrous this sounds? This is like saying that inhaling water is normal. Most people die.
Why do people say they follow Christ, yet still normalize sin. The precepts of men say go ahead, it is normal. God says to be pure in heart, in mind and in action, to have virtue garnish our thoughts. Which one of these choices will bring us closer to God?
Is it school based concepts taught by mans own carnal nature, rather than God's word that will save mankind?

The goal is perfection, just what does this mean to you? There's a big difference between working to overcome a bad habit with lots of repentance along the way...and saying this habit is normal, not to worry about it. Ya, right!
Is it correct to not be addicted to some sin, and then tell others it is okay, just normal. Normal for whom?


Not everything you learn from the scriptures is truth, just not like everything you learn in school is either. The scriptures have many examples of "sin" normalization. if you remember Jesus proclaimed a lot about sin that wasn't. The jews were notorious for making up sin. We do the same thing today.
#1 Lie - You are separate from God and others

User avatar
freedomforall
Gnolaum 14000
Posts: 14867
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: OVER AND UNDER AND THROUGH THE WOODS

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby freedomforall » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:17 pm

zionminded wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
zionminded wrote:
freedomforall wrote:Can a person who sins and does not forsake them become like God? This is a rather simple question.


Depends on what you consider sin. Some sins we make up, other are very important.

Mosiah 4:29,30
29 And finally, I cannot tell you all the things whereby ye may commit sin; for there are divers ways and means, even so many that I cannot number them.
30 But this much I can tell you, that if ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, and continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your lives, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not.


This is the problem with sexuality, we always assume that any sexual experience is dirty. It can be, but not always.

And a good share of the time it is either a dirty mind or a dirty action encompassing both aspects. For instance, a man sees something during the day that is quite provocative, then goes home after work and wants to get cozy with his wife.
According to Scripture a man is supposed to set that sexual thought out of mind. A man can fantasize often, turning a simple sexual thought into a full blown orgy. A good share of our thoughts can be dirty and this has to be nipped in the bud if we do not want our thoughts to condemn us.
GUESS WHO

REALITY...IS NOTHING MORE THAN FANTASY IN ACTION.

To the very best of my recollection...I don't remember!

User avatar
freedomforall
Gnolaum 14000
Posts: 14867
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: OVER AND UNDER AND THROUGH THE WOODS

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby freedomforall » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:27 pm

zionminded wrote:Not everything you learn from the scriptures is truth, just not like everything you learn in school is either. The scriptures have many examples of "sin" normalization. if you remember Jesus proclaimed a lot about sin that wasn't. The jews were notorious for making up sin. We do the same thing today.

Please, please post every scriptural instance where it is not truth. This I got to see. Otherwise you're merely casting dispersions of untruth.
Besides, we do not read scripture just to see how many times we can do wrong and their individual, associated method, we are to read and feast upon all the good that Christ and his servants teach and employ them into our daily walk.
GUESS WHO

REALITY...IS NOTHING MORE THAN FANTASY IN ACTION.

To the very best of my recollection...I don't remember!

zionminded
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby zionminded » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:27 am

freedomforall wrote:
zionminded wrote:Not everything you learn from the scriptures is truth, just not like everything you learn in school is either. The scriptures have many examples of "sin" normalization. if you remember Jesus proclaimed a lot about sin that wasn't. The jews were notorious for making up sin. We do the same thing today.

Please, please post every scriptural instance where it is not truth. This I got to see. Otherwise you're merely casting dispersions of untruth.
Besides, we do not read scripture just to see how many times we can do wrong and their individual, associated method, we are to read and feast upon all the good that Christ and his servants teach and employ them into our daily walk.


According to the biblical cannon, the first man was born about 7,000 years ago. This is disputed by every archaeological evidence out there.

The flood account suggests noah took all animals into the ark. This is impossible given the broad range of species that have been shown to have existed in the fossil record much older than the biblical timeline.

There are doctrinal untruth's too, largely due to translation errors etc.
#1 Lie - You are separate from God and others

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 7949
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby Fiannan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:17 pm

The Bible never tells us when man was put here. People assume the period from the genealogies. Good chance they had a different sense of who got listed. The Egyptians often omitted unimportant figures from official histories. Maybe the account in Genesis did as well -- as in if someone were to say King Henry begat Barack Obama and Donald Trump. Yes, lots of other people in those lines left out.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
Plato

User avatar
freedomforall
Gnolaum 14000
Posts: 14867
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: OVER AND UNDER AND THROUGH THE WOODS

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby freedomforall » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:34 am

zionminded wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
zionminded wrote:Not everything you learn from the scriptures is truth, just not like everything you learn in school is either. The scriptures have many examples of "sin" normalization. if you remember Jesus proclaimed a lot about sin that wasn't. The jews were notorious for making up sin. We do the same thing today.

Please, please post every scriptural instance where it is not truth. This I got to see. Otherwise you're merely casting dispersions of untruth.
Besides, we do not read scripture just to see how many times we can do wrong and their individual, associated method, we are to read and feast upon all the good that Christ and his servants teach and employ them into our daily walk.


According to the biblical cannon, the first man was born about 7,000 years ago. Not so. See below. This is disputed by every archaeological evidence out there.

The flood account suggests noah took all animals into the ark. This is impossible given the broad range of species that have been shown to have existed in the fossil record much older than the biblical timeline.

There are doctrinal untruth's too, largely due to translation errors etc.

The scriptures are very clear that Christ is to be born in the meridian of time, meaning middle.

D&C 39:1-3
1 Hearken and listen to the voice of him who is from all eternity to all eternity, the Great I Am, even Jesus Christ—
2 The light and the life of the world; a light which shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not;
3 The same which came in the meridian of time unto mine own, and mine own received me not;

We know that there was 4000 years from Adam to Christ. Stands to reason there is 4000 years from Christ to the end of the world.
GUESS WHO

REALITY...IS NOTHING MORE THAN FANTASY IN ACTION.

To the very best of my recollection...I don't remember!

zionminded
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby zionminded » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:05 am

freedomforall wrote:
zionminded wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
zionminded wrote:Not everything you learn from the scriptures is truth, just not like everything you learn in school is either. The scriptures have many examples of "sin" normalization. if you remember Jesus proclaimed a lot about sin that wasn't. The jews were notorious for making up sin. We do the same thing today.

Please, please post every scriptural instance where it is not truth. This I got to see. Otherwise you're merely casting dispersions of untruth.
Besides, we do not read scripture just to see how many times we can do wrong and their individual, associated method, we are to read and feast upon all the good that Christ and his servants teach and employ them into our daily walk.


According to the biblical cannon, the first man was born about 7,000 years ago. Not so. See below. This is disputed by every archaeological evidence out there.

The flood account suggests noah took all animals into the ark. This is impossible given the broad range of species that have been shown to have existed in the fossil record much older than the biblical timeline.

There are doctrinal untruth's too, largely due to translation errors etc.

The scriptures are very clear that Christ is to be born in the meridian of time, meaning middle.

D&C 39:1-3
1 Hearken and listen to the voice of him who is from all eternity to all eternity, the Great I Am, even Jesus Christ—
2 The light and the life of the world; a light which shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not;
3 The same which came in the meridian of time unto mine own, and mine own received me not;

We know that there was 4000 years from Adam to Christ. Stands to reason there is 4000 years from Christ to the end of the world.


How do you reconcile the high amount of anthropological evidence that's shows that many cultures existed prior to this period ? Do you entirely dismiss scientific evidence that suggests the earth is much older. Literal interpretations will get you into trouble.
#1 Lie - You are separate from God and others

User avatar
freedomforall
Gnolaum 14000
Posts: 14867
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: OVER AND UNDER AND THROUGH THE WOODS

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby freedomforall » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:49 pm

zionminded wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
zionminded wrote:
freedomforall wrote:Please, please post every scriptural instance where it is not truth. This I got to see. Otherwise you're merely casting dispersions of untruth.
Besides, we do not read scripture just to see how many times we can do wrong and their individual, associated method, we are to read and feast upon all the good that Christ and his servants teach and employ them into our daily walk.


According to the biblical cannon, the first man was born about 7,000 years ago. Not so. See below. This is disputed by every archaeological evidence out there.

The flood account suggests noah took all animals into the ark. This is impossible given the broad range of species that have been shown to have existed in the fossil record much older than the biblical timeline.

There are doctrinal untruth's too, largely due to translation errors etc.

The scriptures are very clear that Christ is to be born in the meridian of time, meaning middle.

D&C 39:1-3
1 Hearken and listen to the voice of him who is from all eternity to all eternity, the Great I Am, even Jesus Christ—
2 The light and the life of the world; a light which shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not;
3 The same which came in the meridian of time unto mine own, and mine own received me not;

We know that there was 4000 years from Adam to Christ. Stands to reason there is 4000 years from Christ to the end of the world.


How do you reconcile the high amount of anthropological evidence that's shows that many cultures existed prior to this period ? Do you entirely dismiss scientific evidence that suggests the earth is much older. Literal interpretations will get you into trouble.

I dismiss all scientific nonsense/evidence. Who came first, God or science? Are you going to risk saying scripture is wrong and science is right? This will get you into trouble. Further, God knows more than any scientist ever born, so I'll go with scripture any day over science. Are you another one of those Fundamentalists that come unto the forum and preach doctrine not in line with LDS teachings? Why don't you check out meridian of time, bible chronological events and then call it good?
Here's a good question. Why do you think people before the flood were able to live for hundreds of years? The answer is in scripture.
GUESS WHO

REALITY...IS NOTHING MORE THAN FANTASY IN ACTION.

To the very best of my recollection...I don't remember!

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 7949
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby Fiannan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:21 pm

Here's a good question. Why do you think people before the flood were able to live for hundreds of years? The answer is in scripture.


Please share.

Why don't you check out meridian of time, bible chronological events and then call it good?


If the flood occurred 12 thousand years ago or 4.5 thousand years ago, whether it covered the entire earth or destroyed the civilized world, what difference would it make? It still occurred, there was still a Noah, and God was in charge.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
Plato

User avatar
Rachael
Captain of whatever
Posts: 2360
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby Rachael » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:58 pm

I believe the Bible is very reliable. Genesis starts with God creating the heaven and the earth in verse 1, chapter 1. In verse 2 it says the earth was without form and void, and darkness was reining on the face of the deep. I do not believe God creates something without form, or void where darkness reigns. Some Bible scholars say "was void" should be translated as "became void."

I personally believe that, because God is is brooding on the "face of the deep." Deep implies water, and brooding means He is not very pleased. God seems like He is repairing something (the earth) He's already created. Then He covenants with Noah with the rainbow that He will not destroy the earth AGAIN by water. That implies it's happened before. People don't get to live as long after the flood. That could also imply an atmospheric change since God opened the fountains in the earth and the firmament. It probably never rained before Noah's flood. Before the flood, the earth was watered mist/dew.

We are told Satan was cast down here, so who knows what havoc he wreaked. It could have been preAdamic, so earth gets destroyed before Genesis' beginning. Jewish traditions say it may have been destroyed 7 times before Adam.

Then fallen angels came and made hybrid giants with mortal women in chapter 6. This likely explains the Greek/Roman/Egyptian/you name whatever past civilization, existence of all these demigods or "mighty men of renown." They try to contaminate the Messianic bloodline. Then again post flood, which is not explained. But there are giants in Canaan when Moses sends the spies out. Generations later, David has to fight Goliath, a giant. This is why God commanded certain tribes people to be annihilated.

Darwin's Origin of the Species is a joke. They find fossils in one sedimentary layer that theoretically doesn't belong, like trilobites on top of t-rexes. Sedimentary layers are caused by water and indicate a global flood. And they have discoved soft tissue in Dino bones (red blood cells in T-Rex from Hell's Canyon, MT and more samples thereafter) which demonstrates the bones can't be 65 million years old. But if paleontologists like Jack Horn or Carl Sagan defy the evidence, so should we? Dinosaurs were just called dragons by ancient historians, and were still around in Marco Polo's day.

User avatar
TCG
captain of 10
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:34 am

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby TCG » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:18 pm

Dear young lad,
Talk to your pops about it. He'll understand. Your body is going through some changes and it is perfectly normal to feel sexual urges and desires, but you need to put a bridal on it, like taming and training a wild horse. Bishop is good, check your thoughts and stay away from images, videos or any type of talk that may stimulate the urges to "pull the throttle"! I was a young boy and understand that piers can have a big influence on our choices. Pick your friends wisely, a big part of your behavior is trying to impress and fit in. I've had friends that I've grown up in the church that watched indecent movies. Unfortunately I was a follower and made the excuse "well because the crowd is doing it,
it must be ok". But inside I knew better. With the easy access to Internet and social media your gonna have to pick your battles, because one thing can lead to another. Be cautious of what you choose to view and take in. It can start out innocent but can easily turn out immodest and morally unclean. Being a youth these days has great advantages as well disadvantages. You got this young Jedi, don't be discouraged but courageous in doing the right thing. Hang in there and everything will work out.

As a father of 7, I send my love out and fist bump!!!

ok bye.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 7949
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby Fiannan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:32 pm

Maybe pushing younger marriages is the only solution? ;)

When the Romans were at the height of their power they felt that young people should marry and enjoy sexuality. It was only later that a more hedonistic attitude took hold, at least within the upper classes.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
Plato

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 7949
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby Fiannan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:36 pm

By the way, the "Little Factory" pamphlet has been retired, correct?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
Plato

User avatar
freedomforall
Gnolaum 14000
Posts: 14867
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: OVER AND UNDER AND THROUGH THE WOODS

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby freedomforall » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:13 am

Fiannan wrote:Maybe pushing younger marriages is the only solution? ;)

When the Romans were at the height of their power they felt that young people should marry and enjoy sexuality. It was only later that a more hedonistic attitude took hold, at least within the upper classes.

Bad, bad idea. Then you run into raging hormones of a young predator looking for different prey soon after the wedding night has come and gone, only now adultery joins the mix.
I think too many people have sex on the brain and no real interest in what is right. Telling or hinting to anyone it is okay to sin, coupled with ways to accomplish it is not doctrinal. Some maturity goes a long way.
GUESS WHO

REALITY...IS NOTHING MORE THAN FANTASY IN ACTION.

To the very best of my recollection...I don't remember!

User avatar
freedomforall
Gnolaum 14000
Posts: 14867
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: OVER AND UNDER AND THROUGH THE WOODS

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby freedomforall » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:17 am

I think we've been played again. I mean, where is the OP? Did the supposed "lad" come back and respond to any posts other than 1 thank you? Does anyone know who this person is?
GUESS WHO

REALITY...IS NOTHING MORE THAN FANTASY IN ACTION.

To the very best of my recollection...I don't remember!

User avatar
Robin Hood
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2478
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 10:18 am
Location: England

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:48 am

zionminded wrote:
The flood account suggests noah took all animals into the ark.



Sorry Zionminded, but it doesn't say or suggest anything of the sort.
It says he took two of every kind, not species.
Also, we're only talking about land animals.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 7949
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby Fiannan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:55 am

Robin Hood wrote:
zionminded wrote:
The flood account suggests noah took all animals into the ark.



Sorry Zionminded, but it doesn't say or suggest anything of the sort.
It says he took two of every kind, not species.
Also, we're only talking about land animals.


7 of every clean kind.

Also, what if only one major continent was destroyed with low lying areas of the other land masses?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
Plato

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 7949
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby Fiannan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:56 am

freedomforall wrote:
Fiannan wrote:Maybe pushing younger marriages is the only solution? ;)

When the Romans were at the height of their power they felt that young people should marry and enjoy sexuality. It was only later that a more hedonistic attitude took hold, at least within the upper classes.

Bad, bad idea. Then you run into raging hormones of a young predator looking for different prey soon after the wedding night has come and gone, only now adultery joins the mix.
I think too many people have sex on the brain and no real interest in what is right. Telling or hinting to anyone it is okay to sin, coupled with ways to accomplish it is not doctrinal. Some maturity goes a long way.


How many 25 year old single men and women are still virgins?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
Plato

User avatar
Robin Hood
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2478
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 10:18 am
Location: England

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:04 am

Fiannan wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
zionminded wrote:
The flood account suggests noah took all animals into the ark.



Sorry Zionminded, but it doesn't say or suggest anything of the sort.
It says he took two of every kind, not species.
Also, we're only talking about land animals.


7 of every clean kind.

Also, what if only one major continent was destroyed with low lying areas of the other land masses?


...and 2 of every other kind.
Kind and species are not the same thing.
It has been calculated that 2 (7) of every "kind" would easily have fitted into the ark.

With regards to your other point concerning a limited flood, the scriptures are clear that it flooded the whole earth. It is even described as the earth's baptism. Baptism, as you know, is a total immersion.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 7949
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby Fiannan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:16 am

Robin Hood wrote:
Fiannan wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
zionminded wrote:
The flood account suggests noah took all animals into the ark.



Sorry Zionminded, but it doesn't say or suggest anything of the sort.
It says he took two of every kind, not species.
Also, we're only talking about land animals.


7 of every clean kind.

Also, what if only one major continent was destroyed with low lying areas of the other land masses?


...and 2 of every other kind.
Kind and species are not the same thing.
It has been calculated that 2 (7) of every "kind" would easily have fitted into the ark.

With regards to your other point concerning a limited flood, the scriptures are clear that it flooded the whole earth. It is even described as the earth's baptism. Baptism, as you know, is a total immersion.


Nibley said otherwise. However, how long does it take for an olive tree to go from a submerged state to fully blossoming?

Also, I have often wondered the origins of the liahona that Lehi had possession of. Was it a device constructed by God, or was it simply a navigational devise, essentially mechanical, but far more advanced than the average compass of today, that was originally the compass used by Noah? Some of the technology of his era must have been taken on the boat. Also, before someone proposes the absurd idea that Noah lived in an agrarian society, we know they had metallurgy. That debunks all the standard ideas of anthropological progression you would have learned in school, if you believe the Bible. What sorts of supports would the ark have had to have? Pitch would not hold a boat of that size together, it would be completely impossible, and that would be true if it were just sitting still on its platforms on land. He would have at least have had to have used steel to do the job. Again, that would advance his civilization to at least the late 1800s-style to get the kind of steel needed for holding together massive structures. So even if we ignore Jasher and Enoch in reference to weird applications of reproductive and genetic technologies the cities of Noah's age would have looked more like this:

Image

rather than this...

Image
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
Plato

User avatar
Robin Hood
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2478
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 10:18 am
Location: England

Re: Will my Bishop Tell My Parents

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:38 am

Fiannan wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
Fiannan wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
Sorry Zionminded, but it doesn't say or suggest anything of the sort.
It says he took two of every kind, not species.
Also, we're only talking about land animals.


7 of every clean kind.

Also, what if only one major continent was destroyed with low lying areas of the other land masses?


...and 2 of every other kind.
Kind and species are not the same thing.
It has been calculated that 2 (7) of every "kind" would easily have fitted into the ark.

With regards to your other point concerning a limited flood, the scriptures are clear that it flooded the whole earth. It is even described as the earth's baptism. Baptism, as you know, is a total immersion.


Nibley said otherwise. However, how long does it take for an olive tree to go from a submerged state to fully blossoming?

Also, I have often wondered the origins of the liahona that Lehi had possession of. Was it a device constructed by God, or was it simply a navigational devise, essentially mechanical, but far more advanced than the average compass of today, that was originally the compass used by Noah? Some of the technology of his era must have been taken on the boat. Also, before someone proposes the absurd idea that Noah lived in an agrarian society, we know they had metallurgy. That debunks all the standard ideas of anthropological progression you would have learned in school, if you believe the Bible. What sorts of supports would the ark have had to have? Pitch would not hold a boat of that size together, it would be completely impossible, and that would be true if it were just sitting still on its platforms on land. He would have at least have had to have used steel to do the job. Again, that would advance his civilization to at least the late 1800s-style to get the kind of steel needed for holding together massive structures. So even if we ignore Jasher and Enoch in reference to weird applications of reproductive and genetic technologies the cities of Noah's age would have looked more like this:

Image

rather than this...

Image


Hugh Nibley was no prophet and his opinions do not trump scripture. So that is a non-point as far as I'm concerned.

The idea regarding the Liahona is pure speculation. Not only in regard to it's origins, but also it's purpose. It operated according to faith in and obedience to God by the people. Some compass!

You will no doubt be aware that the scriptures indicate that pitch was used to waterproof the boat, not stick it together.

I would certainly agree that Noah's age was very technologically advanced. Possibly more so, in some ways at least, than our age.


Return to “Principles of Liberty”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests