Debate: Was Alexander Hamilton a Hero in the Cause of Liberty?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Alexander Hamilton was a hero for the cause of liberty

Yes
40%
No
60%
Undecided
No votes

Total votes: 5
Separatist
captain of 1,000

Debate: Was Alexander Hamilton a Hero in the Cause of Liberty?

Post by Separatist »

Was Alexander Hamilton a Hero in the Cause of Liberty?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Debate: Was Alexander Hamilton a Hero in the Cause of Liberty?

Post by lundbaek »

I vote NO for the following reason, that hs to do with his apparent reversal of opinion on the welfare issue.
It is my understanding that the term general welfare in the early years of the United States referred only to the protection of fundamental rights for all--not welfare as the term is used today. It appears that wasn't even a relevant or disputed concept at the time the Constitution was written. However, there appears to have been some concern over the danger of a “welfare state” in which the government compensates people for their failures and losses other than legitimate government debts. And some of America’s founders did express such concerns, in particular, James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, and Samuel Adams. Initially, Hamilton’s views seemed to square with those of Madison, Adams, and Jefferson. However, after Hamilton became Secretary of Treasury of the United States, he changed his opinion and maintained that the welfare clause in the Preamble allows the FedGov to do anything it thinks is for the welfare of anyone or any part of the country, even if it is not included in the powers enumerated in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution , and even if it is for local or special welfare instead of for the general welfare, and is used to justify the kind of welfare we have in America today. And truth be known, the Preamble is not really part of the actual Constitution. Then In 1936, Supreme Court Associate Justicei Owen J. Roberts , in the Butler Case, wrote the opinion that apparently settled the issue in favour of Hamilton's later, “revised” concept of welfare, which is what we have today.

I credit Christopher S. Bentley, author and compiler of A GLORIOUS STANDARD FOR ALL MANKIND and author of THE HIDDEN THINGS OF DARKNESS, and a member of this forum, for my understanding of this subject.

And again I want to stress that the term "general welfare" in the days of the constitution ONLY referred to defense of fundamental rights for all, and not "welfare" as we think and speak of it today. That wasn't even a relavant or disputed concept at the time the constitution was written.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Debate: Was Alexander Hamilton a Hero in the Cause of Liberty?

Post by David13 »

lundbaek
I quite agree with you, and, apparently Christopher S Bentley, tho' I am unaware of him on this forum.
dc