Is Capitalism Moral?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Serragon
captain of 1,000

Re: Is Capitalism Moral?

Post by Serragon »

marc wrote:I'll give this one more shot. I did watch the video, by the way and I will add that I was a capitalist for decades. I loved and engaged in the free market starting when I was about the age of a cub scout. I went door to door offering services for a fair exchange. I would mow lawns or wash cars for two dollars, four or five dollars or whatever folks felt my labor was worth.

I made pretty decent money and even had regular customers. I won't get into the following decades where I became a paperboy, started my own businesses, owned an S corporation and an LLC, etc. Yeah, I made money the same way as always where it was equitable for both myself and my clients. I bought and sold goods and services, etc. Loved the free market.
This is a great example of the free market.

marc wrote: 26 And now, for the sake of these things which I have spoken unto you—that is, for the sake of retaining a remission of your sins from day to day, that ye may walk guiltless before God—I would that ye should impart of your substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants.

This is also a great example of the free market. You just don't realize it.

You believe that your first example IS the free market. However, that is simply how you chose to engage. The latter example is just as much a product of free markets as the first. You simply are choosing to engage differently. Your values have changed, and now you engage in trade in a more charitable manner.

Zion is the result of people in a free market choosing to consecrate. Markets are not the construct of man. They exist as a result of our god given nature. In the scripture above, it indicates we should give according to wants. The WANT or NEED creates a market. How that want or need is filled (or not filled) is the result of the choices of those involved... a free market.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Or to put it another way...

Free markets do not lead to Zion. Free Markets allow an environment where people are free to choose Zion.

The problem isn't capitalism. The problem is our selfish natures and incorrect choices. it may appear that capitalism is to blame because it allows us the freedom to pursue our worst qualities. But it also allows us the freedom to pursue our best if we so choose.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Well, according to the video, I need to have proof of performance. I need to have money or some medium of exchange; a "certificate." It is "proof" that I have served my fellow man. I can't just ask for and be given that steak just for the asking. A condition has been set. The first two minutes tells me all I need to know about the "free" market. It isn't free.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Marc
"Free" doesn't mean your life consists of mooching off other people. It means you are free to make choices.

Capitalism is moral. To the extent that there are moral people in it. There are people who also follow Christ and make capitalism the benevolent system it was meant to, and has the potential to be.
In any system there will be those evil people who pervert the system.
For instance, 'welfare fraud'.
In no system are people "equal". There is no such thing.
In communism, people are not equal. There are some who become 'more equal' than the others, if you know what I mean.
dc

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

David13 wrote:Marc
"Free" doesn't mean your life consists of mooching off other people. It means you are free to make choices.

Capitalism is moral. To the extent that there are moral people in it. There are people who also follow Christ and make capitalism the benevolent system it was meant to, and has the potential to be.
In any system there will be those evil people who pervert the system.
For instance, 'welfare fraud'.
In no system are people "equal". There is no such thing.
In communism, people are not equal. There are some who become 'more equal' than the others, if you know what I mean.
dc
Mooching. I am still not certain people truly understand that we are all moochers. Every. Last. One. Of. Us. We are completely dependent on God for our very breaths. We mooch every single day. Every single minute of the day. You say there is no system where people are equal. I agree that does not exist today in the world. It cannot exist in Babylon. In Zion, it exists perfectly. And that is why we are not yet Zion.
Last edited by marc on September 15th, 2015, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Marc
Some mooch. Some earn their way. And some earn enough to pay for others.
It's a world of difference.
dc

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

dc
We can never earn our way. Salvation is a gift. People want to earn their keep on earth despite the Lord's counsel to never deny His gifts, all of which are gifts of the Spirit. We simply cannot earn our keep. We do not have the capacity. We fall infinitely short. It is why God has given it all to us. That brings me back to my lengthy post.
Last edited by marc on September 15th, 2015, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

marc wrote:
dc
We can never earn our way. Salvation is a gift. People want to earn their keep on earth. We simply cannot. We fall infinitely short. It is why God has given it all to us. That brings me back to my lengthy post.
Those who enter a United Order who are capable of working but who are idle and slothful are cast out.
The gift is that God provides the foundation of righteousness and a system to liberate the righteous.
It is a mistake to try and make Zion into the one-size-fits-all magic bullet for everyone.
There are many people who are not worthy to be a part of the Zion society.
Worthiness requires those who are able to be a contributing asset.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I said nothing of idleness or sloth nor did I imply that such have part.

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Post by Separatist »

marc wrote: I can't just ask for and be given that steak just for the asking.
Sure you can. Some may give and some may not. There are places that give free food. But generally people tend to trade their labor (represented in dollars as a more effective media of exchange) for someone else's labor. You traded mowing lawns for a person cutting steak. What if instead of certificates of performance, you consider them certificates of consecration?
marc wrote:I said nothing of idleness or sloth nor did I imply that such have part.
Hmmm, so there's some sort of performance which must be demonstrated in order to stay? I can't just ask?

Is this similar to the above? Trading labor for labor? mowing for steak?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Separatist wrote:
Sure you can. Some may give and some may not. There are places that give free food. But generally people tend to trade their labor (represented in dollars as a more effective media of exchange) for someone else's labor. You traded mowing lawns for a person cutting steak. What if instead of certificates of performance, you consider them certificates of consecration?
marc wrote:I said nothing of idleness or sloth nor did I imply that such have part.
Hmmm, so there's some sort of performance which must be demonstrated in order to stay? I can't just ask?

I think I'm coming to a better understanding of what you are trying to explain. There must be some kind of operation, even supply and demand. I suppose you can say that God demands repentance, consecration, etc. We supply a broken heart, a contrite spirit, etc. The "market" that I have come to understand is one where the labor we perform is not to eat by the sweat of our brow. Manna falls from heaven freely. The windows of heaven open and pour out blessings greater than we are able to use. Capitalism is obsolete. But perhaps we now engage in games of semantics.

The "market" of Zion, as I understand it, is one where temporal needs are already met by the Lord and therefore irrelevant. We are unprofitable servants who take no thought for tomorrow's needs. We have been made equal in heavenly things by the Lord because we learned to be equal in earthly things. Someone asked you for spare change and you chose to give it to him because you were able and because of your love for the Lord and desire to walk as a disciple of Christ. The transaction ended there. It was an unequal transaction, which brought the both of you to more equal ground. It is just as when Christ will redeem us from the fall and into a more equal Celestial ground. Your labors are performed here.

In Zion, or at least, during the Millennium, where we are equal in all things through Christ's merit and not our own, His labors will be our labors. We will continue to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. We will prepare for the celestialization of earth. Free market capitalism, in my opinion, is irrelevant. Such a thing is an endeavor where you scratch my back and I scratch yours. We have no temporal needs that will not be given to us by the Lord. He scratches all our backs. Anyway, I am finding that I cannot adequately express myself.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

marc wrote:
Separatist wrote:

I think I'm coming to a better understanding of what you are trying to explain. There must be some kind of operation, even supply and demand. I suppose you can say that God demands repentance, consecration, etc. We supply a broken heart, a contrite spirit, etc. The "market" that I have come to understand is one where the labor we perform is not to eat by the sweat of our brow. Manna falls from heaven freely. The windows of heaven open and pour out blessings greater than we are able to use. Capitalism is obsolete. But perhaps we now engage in games of semantics.

The "market" of Zion, as I understand it, is one where temporal needs are already met by the Lord and therefore irrelevant. We are unprofitable servants who take no thought for tomorrow's needs. We have been made equal in heavenly things by the Lord because we learned to be equal in earthly things. Someone asked you for spare change and you chose to give it to him because you were able and because of your love for the Lord and desire to walk as a disciple of Christ. The transaction ended there. It was an unequal transaction, which brought the both of you to more equal ground. It is just as when Christ will redeem us from the fall and into a more equal Celestial ground. Your labors are performed here.

In Zion, or at least, during the Millennium, where we are equal in all things through Christ's merit and not our own, His labors will be our labors. We will continue to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. We will prepare for the celestialization of earth. Free market capitalism, in my opinion, is irrelevant. Such a thing is an endeavor where you scratch my back and I scratch yours. We have no temporal needs that will not be given to us by the Lord. He scratches all our backs. Anyway, I am finding that I cannot adequately express myself.
I think what Marc is doing is realizing some of the benefits of living in a society absent of usury of any kind, such as interest on loans or rents on assets. Life becomes very different when you don't have a mortgage/rent, car payments, food and energy bills hanging over your head. In the Zion society all of these basic needs will be in place with zero taxes, rents, interest, etc. While there will be a free market in Zion, the landscape will be entirely different than it is in Babylon.

Tie down those two mechanisms from Capitalism and you will have 99.9% of the Zion economic system.
And, here's the thing.... Force is not required to tie them down.

If people would simply consecrate their surplus to be made available usury free, the people would favor it over banks or landlords.
Who would go to a bank for a loan at interest when you can get a loan from the United Order for zero interest?
Who would pay rent to own a home when they could get a zero interest loan and buy a home outright?
It wouldn't be long before the Zion society put Babylon out of business.
So, those who fight for a truly free market economy are in fact fighting for Zion.
The reason the adversary uses all kinds of dirty tricks and intimidation to suppress Zion's economic system is because it will put him out of business.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

What think ye?
Matthew 20:1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.

2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,

4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.

5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.

6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?

7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.

8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.

9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.

10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.

11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,

12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.

13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?

14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

marc wrote:What think ye?
Matthew 20:1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.

2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,

4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.

5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.

6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?

7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.

8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.

9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.

10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.

11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,

12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.

13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?

14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.
The householder enjoyed the free market.
All should honor their agreements.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Ah, but only the laborers called in the morning "agreed" on a wage. Lots of things to consider here.

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Post by Separatist »

A private honest capitalist who understood the laws of supply and demand, paying a premium wage for those workers he needed at the end of the day?

I'd be interested in what would take place on day two. Would the workers who felt shafted arrive late in the day? Thus leaving the master with no workers at the start?

Interesting his response, "Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil because I am good?" Interesting the capitalist calling the workers greedy bastards.

How bout these?

Parable of the talents

----------

Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not covet.

----------

13 And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me.

14 And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you?

15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

----------

28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Post by Separatist »

Honest Money: The Biblical Blueprint for Money and Banking
http://www.garynorth.com/HonestMoney.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Law of Supply and Demand is another way to say "scarcity". We should not have an economy built upon the principle of scarcity which is "fear based".

The United Order would satisfy wants and needs. In reality, needs are very cheap to satisfy. Those in need would be required to do something for everything they receive. But wants, especially, would not be just given to people, but people would be empowered to work to achieve their wants.

Like the new LDS "My Path" program, people will be empowered to "get a new job", get "better employment" or "start a new business".

The economy would have simple or no-interest loans to assit people instead of exploit people.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

davedan wrote:Law of Supply and Demand is another way to say "scarcity". We should not have an economy built upon the principle of scarcity which is "fear based".

The United Order would satisfy wants and needs. In reality, needs are very cheap to satisfy. Those in need would be required to do something for everything they receive. But wants, especially, would not be just given to people, but people would be empowered to work to achieve their wants.

Like the new LDS "My Path" program, people will be empowered to "get a new job", get "better employment" or "start a new business".

The economy would have simple or no-interest loans to assit people instead of exploit people.
With consecration implemented through United Orders everything starts to revolve around abundance.
And, instead of tithing consumption, as it is done currently, only abundance will be tithed.
You should only tithe that which is sacred and currently consumption is the name of the game.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

My daughter was talking about taxes (income taxes) and that it is the only way for the government to make money. I taught her that the government can make money other pro-Constitutional ways.

1. Tariffs (tax imports to protect domestic manufacturing and prevent exploitation of poor countries)

2. Prime Interest (Constitution says that Congress should "coin" all the money. That means that Congress via the Treasury could lend that money to banks and even individuals with a simple "prime interest" rate (same as a fee). Right now, due to the FED and fractional reserve lending and the "money multiplier", the Congress doesn't create any money and doesn't make any money now on money creation (0% prime interest).

Safety Society System:
1. Congress Print 100% money
2. Congress lend money to communities, individuals, corporations via local SSS Banks
3. Congress charges a simple "prime interest" rate that amounts to a fee (borrowing should be more expensive than saving)
4. Loans only approved for "real assets" (property, buildings)
5. Real assets (land, development, and buildings) are the basis for the money creation
6. Money creation is on-demand as it is qualified for.
7. Local SSS Banks are non-profit and charge a fee to service the loan (loan origination)
8. Missed payments deducted from equity (automatic reverse mortgage = built-in insurance)
9. Default occurs when all equity lost.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

For everybody's understanding, The United States of America never was to be capitalistic, rather, it was to be a righteous republic.

If you live in a republic, then you live in a country with a leader freely and democratically elected by the people, as opposed to a dictatorship or monarchy.
http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/republic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

............................................................................................................................................
Capitalism is an economic system featuring the private ownership of business wealth and the free and unfettered operation of trade markets.

Capital is usually understood to be money that is put into a business, accumulated by a business, or used in some way to produce more money. In a capitalist economy, the capital is owned by private individuals, as opposed to the government or state (as in socialism or communism). Another important aspect of capitalism is the "free market," where in theory natural competition always leads to innovation and price controls.
http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/ca ... Capitalism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

davedan wrote:

Safety Society System:
1. Congress Print 100% money
2. Congress lend money to communities, individuals, corporations via local SSS Banks
3. Congress charges a simple "prime interest" rate that amounts to a fee (borrowing should be more expensive than saving)
4. Loans only approved for "real assets" (property, buildings)
5. Real assets (land, development, and buildings) are the basis for the money creation
6. Money creation is on-demand as it is qualified for.
7. Local SSS Banks are non-profit and charge a fee to service the loan (loan origination)
8. Missed payments deducted from equity (automatic reverse mortgage = built-in insurance)
9. Default occurs when all equity lost.
Sounds appalling.
Why should Congress have the power to create money out of thin air, and then charge interest or "prime interest" on it? They would just be doing the same thing as the Federal Reserve, Bank of England etc. This amounts to a slightly tweeked capitalism. The result for the poor fella on the receiving end is exactly the same.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Robin Hood wrote:Sounds appalling.
Why should Congress have the power to create money out of thin air, and then charge interest or "prime interest" on it? They would just be doing the same thing as the Federal Reserve, Bank of England etc. This amounts to a slightly tweeked capitalism. The result for the poor fella on the receiving end is exactly the same.
Why Congress Should "Coin" the Money and "Regulate its value"

1. Because the (inspired) US Constitution already specifically reserves this power to Congress [coin money and regulate its value--which it already does now via interest rate]
2. Because a national currency prevents regional currency wars
3. Because a simple prime interest rate is needed to make saving cheaper than borrowing
4. Because a simple prime interest rate regulates the value of currency by limiting the money supply when necessary
5. Because the federal goverment doesn't approve your loan, but the local Safety Society Bank does
6. Because the federal goverment can generate revenue on this "voluntary tax" on money usage instead of income tax
7. Because the Safety Society System is a Full Reserve system (100% deposits held at the local SSS bank and not reloaned)
8. Because the Safety Sociaty System will Never loan money for speculative assets like stocks, or derivatives (only real assets like land, buildings)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Separatist wrote:A private honest capitalist who understood the laws of supply and demand, paying a premium wage for those workers he needed at the end of the day?

I'd be interested in what would take place on day two. Would the workers who felt shafted arrive late in the day? Thus leaving the master with no workers at the start?
There is no day two. Amulek has something to say about that.
Separatist wrote:Interesting his response, "Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil because I am good?" Interesting the capitalist calling the workers greedy bastards.
And so they were. Thus why many are called and few chosen (v. 16). The Lord has something to say about that in D&C.

Without a broken heart/contrite spirit (repentance), one can never walk the path of discipleship. They do not understand the Lord (householder) or the labor and thus do not understand the lawful wage paid.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

freedomforall wrote:For everybody's understanding, The United States of America never was to be capitalistic, rather, it was to be a righteous republic.

If you live in a republic, then you live in a country with a leader freely and democratically elected by the people, as opposed to a dictatorship or monarchy.
http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/republic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

............................................................................................................................................
Capitalism is an economic system featuring the private ownership of business wealth and the free and unfettered operation of trade markets.

Capital is usually understood to be money that is put into a business, accumulated by a business, or used in some way to produce more money. In a capitalist economy, the capital is owned by private individuals, as opposed to the government or state (as in socialism or communism). Another important aspect of capitalism is the "free market," where in theory natural competition always leads to innovation and price controls.
http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/ca ... Capitalism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You forgot the most important part.
The citizens themselves were to be the sovereigns.
And, those in power only had specifically enumerated powers.
All remaining powers were reserved to the states and to the people.
There isn't another political environment in which you can have capitalism.
This is why many wise latter day saints defend capitalism because you cannot have a free-market economy if the people in it are not also free.
And, they won't remain free unless the powers of governance are tied down and firmly tethered to the unalienable individual rights of sovereigns.

DEMOCRACY is the worst most unstable and quick to self destruct for of government there is, perhaps aside from COMMUNISM.
Well, in fact, the reason democracy is such is because it ultimately progresses to communism, aka, a dictatorship of elites.