LDS Prophets and the Constitution

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

LDS Prophets and the Constitution

Post by Bee Prepared »

President Joseph Smith
1838/39
“The Constitution of the United States is a glorious standard; it is founded in the wisdom of God. It is a heavenly banner; it is to all those who are privileged with the sweets of liberty, like the cooling shades and refreshing waters of a great rock in a thirsty and weary land. It is like a great tree under whose branches men from every clime can be shielded from the burning rays of the sun.”

President Brigham Young
July 4, 1854
“The signers of the Declaration of Independence and the framers of the Constitution were inspired from on high to do that work.”

President John Taylor
April 8, 1883
“It was by and through the power of God, that the fathers of this country framed the Declaration of Independence, and also that great palladium of human rights, the Constitution of the United States.”

President Wilford Woodruff
April 1898
“Those men who laid the foundation of this American government and signed the Declaration of Independence were the best spirits the God of heaven could find on the face of the earth. They were choice spirits, not wicked men. General Washington and all the men that labored for the purpose were inspired of the Lord.”

President Lorenzo Snow
“We trace the hand of the Almighty in framing the constitution of our land, and believe that the Lord raised up men purposely for the accomplishment of this object, raised them up and inspired them to frame the Constitution of the United States.”

President Joseph F. Smith
October 1912
“I hope with all my soul that the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be loyal in their very hearts and souls, to the principles of the Constitution of our country. From them we have derived the liberty that we enjoy. They have been the means of guaranteeing to the foreigner that has come within our gates, and to the native born, and to all the citizens of this country, the freedom and liberty that we possess. We cannot go back upon such principles as these.”

President Heber J. Grant
October 1936
“From my childhood days I have understood that we believe absolutely that the Constitution of our country was an inspired instrument, and that God directed those who created it and those who defended the independence of this nation. In other words, that He fought with Washington and others in the Revolutionary War.”

President George Albert Smith
April 1949
“The Lord himself said that he raised up the very men who framed the Constitution of the United States and directed that membership of this Church should pray for and sustain those who represented the Constitution of this land.

“[. . .] You know, and I know, that the Ten Commandments contain the will of our Heavenly Father, and I am grateful, not only for the civil laws but also for the laws God has given us. I feel bound to conform my life to the teachings of the Ten Commandments. I feel equally bound to sustain the Constitution of the United States which came from the same source as the Ten Commandments. Unless the people of this great nation can realize these things and repent, they may forfeit the liberty that they now enjoy, and the blessings that are so multiplied among us.”

David O. McKay
October 1939
“Next to being one in worshiping God there is nothing in this world upon which this Church should be more united than in upholding and defending the Constitution of the United States.”

Joseph Fielding Smith
April 1943
”Our government came into existence through divine guidance. The inspiration of the Lord rested upon the patriots who established it, and inspired them through the dark days of their struggle for independence and through the critical period which followed that struggle when they framed our glorious Constitution which guarantees to all the self-evident truth proclaimed in the Declaration of Independence, “that all men are created equal: that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights: that among these rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

President Harold B. Lee
“It was to accomplish this lofty purpose basic to all liberty that God “established the Constitution of this land by the hands of wise men whom (he) raised up unto this very purpose” (D&C 101:77–80). Contained within the principles of that great heaven-inspired document is the message of this Church to the world in this fateful hour. Except the spirit of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and principles contained within the Constitution of the United States are inherent in world plans now being formulated, they are but building on sand and the Lord is not in that building.”

President Spencer W. Kimball
September 6, 1977
“This restoration was preceded by a long period of preparation. The Pilgrims and other Europeans were inspired to find this American haven of refuge and thus people this land with honest and God-fearing citizens. Washington and his fellows were inspired to revolt from England and bring political liberty to this land, along with the more valuable treasure of religious liberty so that the soil might be prepared for the seed of the truth when it should again be sown”

President Ezra Taft Benson
October 1944
“Yes, the early leaders and the people generally of this great nation recognized the necessity for spiritual support if the nation was to endure. They gave humble expression to this conviction in the inscription, ‘In God We Trust’ found on the coins of the land. The holy Sabbath was a day of rest and worship. Religious devotion in the home was a common practice. Family prayer, reading of the holy scriptures, and the singing of hymns were an everyday occurrence. There is every evidence that ‘our fathers looked to God for their direction.’

“In framing that great document which Gladstone declared ‘the most wonderful work ever struck off at a given time by the brain and purpose of man,’ our early leaders our early leaders called upon a kind Providence. Later the product of the constitutional convention was referred to as our God-inspired Constitution. They had incorporated within its sacred paragraphs eternal principles supported by the holy scriptures with which they were familiar. It was established ‘for the rights and protection of all flesh according to just and holy principles.’

President Howard W. Hunter
March 8, 1966
“Christianity in its fullness and truth has been restored to the earth by direct revelation. The restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the most significant fact since the resurrection of Jesus Christ. What was restored? In a very real sense, the true Law of the Harvest was restored – the law of justice, the law of mercy, the law of love. It was restored in a free country under the influence of a God-inspired Constitution which created a climate of freedom, opportunity and prosperity. The basic virtues of thrift, self-reliance, independence, enterprise, diligence, integrity, morality, faith in God and in His Son, Jesus Christ, were the principles upon which this, the greatest nation in the world, has been built. We must not sell this priceless, divine heritage which was largely paid for by the blood of patriots and prophets for a mess of pottage, for a counterfeit, a false doctrine parading under the cloak of love and compassion, of humanitarianism, even of Christianity.”

President Gordon B. Hinckley
August 1999
“Both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States were brought forth under the inspiration of God to establish and maintain the freedom of the people of this nation. I said it, and I believe it to be true. There is a miracle in its establishment that cannot be explained in any other way.”

President Thomas S. Monson
September 17, 2002
“Let us pause and reflect upon the many blessings we as Americans have received from our Constitution and the debt of gratitude we owe those heroic signers. As we do so, we might also recognize that freedom is not free. Sacrifice has been required to protect and to preserve the very freedoms we cherish.”

Tony
captain of 100

Re: LDS Prophets and the Constitution

Post by Tony »

With sodomite marriage and Obamacare being the law of the land, I anxiously await the day that the Elders of Israel will step forth to save the Constitution.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

America, what a blessing to be able to worship God however we may wish to, established as a right, in our Constitution.

The fullness of the gospel lived, will truly mend every heart, and heal every wound, as a light, shining bright, calling to the whole world.

Here is a sweet song and tune, called "O America" sung by the Celtic Woman that I really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLNn2YflwNs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Tony wrote:With queer marriage and Obamacare being the law of the land, I anxiously await the day that the Elders of Israel will step forth to save the Constitution.
Take a step Tony ;)

The elders will step forward and save it only after the country completely falls (fails). The consequences of the bad use of agency must come to pass.

Tony
captain of 100

Post by Tony »

shadow wrote:
Tony wrote:With queer marriage and Obamacare being the law of the land, I anxiously await the day that the Elders of Israel will step forth to save the Constitution.
Take a step Tony ;)

The elders will step forward and save it only after the country completely falls (fails). The consequences of the bad use of agency must come to pass.
My journey on that road began long ago.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

shadow wrote:The elders will step forward and save it only after the country completely falls (fails). The consequences of the bad use of agency must come to pass.
Wow, we agree on something. ;) :D (I hope the Elders do step forward and save it - agreed that if it happens it will be AFTER the country completely falls/fails).

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

I have complete faith in you righteous Elders!

First from Brigham Young, second president of the Church: “Will the Constitution be destroyed? No: it will be held inviolate by this people; and, as Joseph Smith said, ‘The time will come when the destiny of this nation will hang upon a single thread. At that critical juncture, this people will step forth and save it from the threatened destruction.’ It will be so” (Journal of Discourses, 7:15). Now another witness, John Taylor, third president of the Church: “When the people shall have torn to shreds the Constitution of the United States, the elders of Israel will be found holding it up to the nations of the earth, and proclaiming liberty and equal rights to all men, and extending the hand of fellowship to the oppressed of all nations” (The Gospel Kingdom, Deseret Book Co., 1943, p. 219). This is part of the program. A final witness is from George Q. Cannon, former member of the First Presidency, who said that “the day will come when the Constitution and free government under it will be sustained and preserved by this people” (Journal of Discourses, 23:104.) Now, I declare to you that if we are not in the beginning stages of the fulfillment of this prophecy, we are at least in the stages where we are preparing for its fulfillment. [9] Late prophet Ezra Taft Benson quoted Joseph Smith thus: "Even this Nation will be on the very verge of crumbling to pieces and tumbling to the ground and when the constitution is upon the brink of ruin this people will be the Staff up[on] which the Nation shall lean and they shall bear the constitution away from the very verge of destruction.” (Ezra Taft Benson, “The Constitution—A Heavenly Banner,” September 16, 1986, Brigham Young University.)

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

It was President Benson that said "the Constitution will be saved, but not in Washington."
Washington today (the Supreme Court) just further distorted the Constitution like never before.
dc

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

"For years we have heard of the role that the elders could play in saving the Constitution from total destruction. But how can the elders be expected to save it if they have not studied it and are not sure if it is being destroyed or what is destroying it ?"

"Now it is not so much a case of a man giving up all his other duties to fight for freedom, as it is a case of a man getting his life in balance so he can discharge all of his God-given responsibilities. And of all these responsibilities President McKay has said that we have "no greater immediate responsibility" than to protect the freedom vouchsafed by the Constitution of the United States."

(Ezra Taft Benson, 25 October 1966

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

One possible positive outcome from today's decision; the Elders who have been begged for decades to learn of and defend the Constitution may actually buckle down and do so if the Church is threatened to lose its tax-exempt status due to continuing to stand against gay marriage.

If enough learn the actual law of the land, it could be the start of a remnant for after the collapse. I pray that many will be moved to do so.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Wow lundbaek, we must have been typing at about the same time and on the same wavelength - no surprise!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

shadow wrote:
Take a step Tony ;)

Me thinks 3rd Nephi lays out the foreshadowing of what's to come...

Government disintegrated 3 years prior to arrival...and no kings on the land

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Let's not just await the day that the Elders of Israel will step forth to save the Constitution. May we learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the founding fathers and find ways to educate others in the proper role of government.

If the elders of the LDS Church were to set about now to "save the Constitution" we would have one right mess sorting out the original principles of the Constitution from all the informal and unconstitutional informal, unwritten amendments that have resulted from unconstitutional congressional legislation, presidential actions, Supreme Court decisions, and customs, etc. We would be squabbling over the constitutionality of such things as going to war without a declaration of war by the Congress, foreign aid, welfare and corporate bailouts, government healthcare, FedGov involvement in education, Agenda 21, possession and carrying of firearms, FedGov control over aspects of inter-state commerce, the Federal Reserve, subservience to the United Nations and other international organizations, violation of the 10th Amendment, and lots more.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

What does The Constitution of this land offer us? Are we a Democracy or a Constitutional Republic?

Are we under a Constitutional government, or Communism

1)
2)
3)
SEE: http://constitutionpreservation.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SEE: http://www.wtprn.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

A Prophet made 3 statements at different times in 1987 that gave specific instructions Re. the US Constitution.
We, as Latter-day Saints, MUST be vigilant in doing our part to preserve the Constitution and safeguard the way of life it makes possible.
We MUST learn the principles of the Constitution and then abide by its precepts.
We MUST learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers.
They have never been repealed, revoked, rescinded, or rewhatevered since then. But neither have those instruction ever been repeated as far as I know. Are we still obligated to heed those instructions ?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

lundbaek wrote:A Prophet made 3 statements at different times in 1987 that gave specific instructions Re. the US Constitution.
We, as Latter-day Saints, MUST be vigilant in doing our part to preserve the Constitution and safeguard the way of life it makes possible.
We MUST learn the principles of the Constitution and then abide by its precepts.
We MUST learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers.
They have never been repealed, revoked, rescinded, or rewhatevered since then. But neither have those instruction ever been repeated as far as I know. Are we still obligated to heed those instructions ?
If there are supposed to be any LDS that are to step in and help save the Constitution they better learn it. Ifear that since Gay marriage is now legal, it's only a matter of time until the church has to take a stand. This could increase persecution and strife, even among the members. We are told there will be a complete separation of good and evil...we simply have to decide which side we will support and defend. There is no gray area, none. No one can go to heaven with one foot in hell.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I years past Prophets made a statements that gave specific instructions Re. what we MUST do Re. the US Constitution. They have never been repealed, revoked, rescinded, or rewhatevered since then. But neither have those instruction ever been repeated. Are we still obligated to heed that instruction?
Should the members of the Church still study and live by the U.S. Constitution?

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

The Declaration of Independence held certain rights "inalienable" and gave a hierarchy of said rights: 1.) The right to life; 2.) The right to liberty; and 3.) The right to pursue happiness. The greatest "right" is that of life. With this "highest" of rights comes the "new" catch-term: "Procreation Rights." (According to law, a right is something that is "natural" or "God given." A "privilege" in legalese is that which is not a "right," but something that is granted by a sovereign in lieu of a right, it has to be "legislated" and "regulated.") Note that anything less than a right would be protected under the third; pursuit of happiness. The right to life and the right to liberty trump the pursuit of happiness, and; therefore, privileges. The ability to procreate is not a "natural" right given to same gender relationships; therefore their "parenting" must be a privilege and subject to legislation. - essentially they do not have a "Procreation Right." It is a privilege and; therefore, must be regulated by laws prescribing contracts, partnerships, conditions of adoption, etc.

The inalienable right to liberty prescribes that "Freedom of Religion" and "Freedom of Expression" is protected above and before the right to pursue happiness. Being such, Religion can claim the "liberty" of Procreative "RITES" and Marriage "RITES" as pertaining to ordinances effecting "Procreative Rights."

Furthermore, living in a "free enterprise" system, a person exercising their right to pursue happiness through conducting commerce - soliciting goods - cannot impose upon the liberty of another by "forcing" them to comply with their "solicitation." The "free enterprise" liberty of a society allows the "solicitor" to continue to solicit elsewhere to "contract" the services that they seek. One cannot and must not be able to force someone to serve them without denying the liberty of the other. Liberty is a higher right than the pursuit of happiness. The Founding Fathers were inspired. We cannot and must not allow "bullying."

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

BruceRGilbert wrote:The Founding Fathers were inspired. We cannot and must not allow "bullying."
Someone should have taught this concept prior to voting Obama into office. He's been bullying the public ever since taking office, and prior to it.
He forced socialistic healthcare on us...and got away with it.
He has committed treason...and gets away with it.
He wanted same sex marriages to be legal...and it happened.
He mocked the Constitution...and people cheered.
He mocked the bible...and people voted him into office.
He made a mock of the Sermon on the Mount...and people clapped their hands instead of booing him off the podium.
He calls his "wife" Michael...and the Supreme Court solidified whatever Barack is engaged in.

The bullying should have been halted before the ramifications flushed our freedom and liberty further in the bottom of the sewer system.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Finding fault with fault finders is quick sand. The end is not better than the beginning. Judgment is meant for identification and not condemnation. The Lord has spoken through His Prophets and Apostles. We are to love the sinner, but not the sin. Satan was not "cast" out of heaven. He exercised his agency and could not endure the presence of those who loved him in spite of himself. Many followed. Love has, does, and always will find a way. Heavenly Father never gives up on His family and in attempting to restore peace in His house. It would seem that His children give up on Him.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I don't believe the Constitution will be saved after the country fails. I believe the principles will be reimplimented after all those who dug the pit fall into it. I don't think that the actual Constitution will be reinstalled though. It was obviously flawed judging by how fast the country started going downhill after it was accepted.

Justin
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Justin »

The US Constitution and in particular the Bill of Right were inspired mostly by the English Bill of Rights and the Magna Carta. The problem with the US Constitution is that it is so difficult to alter - with a 2/3 majority in the house and senate and a 3/4 majority by the states. Despite the US Bill of Rights being inspired and largely derived from its English equivalent the English have well and truly tackled unjustified gun ownership. Farmers, genuine hunters and bona fide sport shooters can relatively easily access their gun of choice other than assault rifles if they can meet certain criteria, show a genuine purpose and demonstrate (and even be audited - by police) how they are keeping their guns and ammo away from potential bad guys - and the kids who may accidentally shoot themselves or others. Having a hand gun for the bed side table in case of bad guy invasion is not considered a reason to have a hand gun. Gun crime is virtually non existent in the UK or the multitude of developed countries that stemmed from British colonialism: Canada, Australia and New Zealand. All the credible data shows that even in the USA the rare case in which a civilian uses a gun to fend off someone intent on crime fails to come close to the number of times a bad guys uses a gun against a good guy, a good guy has a gun accident, the kids of a good guy harm themselves or others with the gun or the good guy kills himself. All credible commentary on the 2nd Amendment by conservatives and liberals alike suggest gun control is needed. A very significant majority of people support gun control - question is whether the vast majority can back up with 2/3 in the house, 2/3 in the senate and 3/4 of states? When the Bill of Rights was ratified it took 10 of 14 states that already had greatly aligned interests and women, blacks, men below 21, slaves, and indentured servants. Indentured servant is arguably a contracted worker in the modern context.

The ratification of the constitution is based on the agreement of a very small segment of society with the support of only 10 states. 36 of the states in existence now were not in existence at the time the Bill or Rights was introduced.

The second amendment could never be approved in the USA now. Those who blindly support the 2nd amendment need to ask themselves if it would ever be approved today.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

BruceRGilbert wrote:Finding fault with fault finders is quick sand. The end is not better than the beginning. Judgment is meant for identification and not condemnation. The Lord has spoken through His Prophets and Apostles. We are to love the sinner, but not the sin. Satan was not "cast" out of heaven. The scriptures do not support this assertion. He exercised his agency and could not endure the presence of those who loved him in spite of himself. Many followed. Love has, does, and always will find a way. Heavenly Father never gives up on His family and in attempting to restore peace in His house. It would seem that His children give up on Him.
JST, Revelations 12:8
8 Neither was there place found in heaven for the great dragon, who was cast out; that old serpent called the devil, and also called Satan, which deceiveth the whole world; he was cast out into the earth; and his angels were cast out with him.

Death, Spiritual — The Guide to the Scriptures
Separation from God and his influences; to die as to things pertaining to righteousness. Lucifer and a third part of the hosts of heaven suffered a spiritual death when they were cast out of heaven (D&C 29:36–37).

Angels — Bible Dictionary
The scriptures speak of the devil’s angels. These are those spirits who followed Lucifer and were thrust out in the war in heaven and cast down to the earth. See Rev. 12:1–9; D&C 29:36–38; Moses 4:1–4; Abr. 3:27–28;

D&C 29:36–37
36 And it came to pass that Adam, being tempted of the devil—for, behold, the devil was before Adam, for he rebelled against me, saying, Give me thine honor, which is my power; and also a third part of the hosts of heaven turned he away from me because of their agency;
37 And they were thrust down, and thus came the devil and his angels;

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Jezebel wrote:I don't believe the Constitution will be saved after the country fails. I believe the principles will be reimplimented after all those who dug the pit fall into it. I don't think that the actual Constitution will be reinstalled though. It was obviously flawed judging by how fast the country started going downhill after it was accepted.
Not to mention how fast the people in 3 Nephi went downhill after seeing Christ. By the fourth generation, wickedness was again flourishing. The carnal man chooses evil over righteousness.
Prior to Christ's birth the few faithful believers in the Americas were threatened with death if the sign were to not be revealed.

3 Nephi 1:8-13, 16
8 But behold, they did watch steadfastly for that day and that night and that day which should be as one day as if there were no night, that they might know that their faith had not been vain.
9 Now it came to pass that there was a day set apart by the unbelievers, that all those who believed in those traditions should be put to death except the sign should come to pass, which had been given by Samuel the prophet.
10 Now it came to pass that when Nephi, the son of Nephi, saw this wickedness of his people, his heart was exceedingly sorrowful.
11 And it came to pass that he went out and bowed himself down upon the earth, and cried mightily to his God in behalf of his people, yea, those who were about to be destroyed because of their faith in the tradition of their fathers.
12 And it came to pass that he cried mightily unto the Lord all that day; and behold, the voice of the Lord came unto him, saying:
13 Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world, to show unto the world that I will fulfil all that which I have caused to be spoken by the mouth of my holy prophets.
16 And there were many, who had not believed the words of the prophets, who fell to the earth and became as if they were dead, for they knew that the great plan of destruction which they had laid for those who believed in the words of the prophets had been frustrated; for the sign which had been given was already at hand.

President Benson said this:

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Sorry, couldn't view the video on my phone. I believe we need to make the principles of the constitution part of our lives in order to usher in the millennium. We can't just say we believe, we actually have to become certain types of people. Whether the actual constitution is saved or not is secondary to that necessity.