Dissent and Treason in Ensign...

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Stephen
captain of 1,000

Dissent and Treason in Ensign...

Post by Stephen »

I stumbled across this article a while back that I have read and reread many times. It's a great study of government and rebellions in the BOM. I think you will appreciate it too. Great ammo for the war of words.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?v ... &hideNav=1

masterdmjg
captain of 100

Re: Dissent and Treason in Ensign...

Post by masterdmjg »

Very interesting article. I especially liked the points at the end.
The Nephites were finally brought down when the unrighteous became the majority, oppressing the righteous, perverting the law, waging unjust wars, and allowing secret combinations to prevail. When the majority is wicked, it is the righteous minority that is in dissent—and while the righteous are tolerant, the unrighteous are not. It was in such a time that the church members were threatened with death until they were saved by the day and night and day without darkness when Christ was born. (3 Ne. 1:4–21.)

What does this mean to us, today? We need to examine our own society: does the majority follow the pattern of the righteous Nephites? Are we dedicated to freedom; tolerant of disagreement; righteously serving God? Do we uphold the law even when our enemies exploit it against us? Are we loyal to our nation whether we agree with particular policies or not? Are we merciful in victory, and humble and sharing to those less fortunate than we? Are our leaders righteous, unselfish men?
Many good questions to think about and discuss.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

We need to examine our own society: does the majority follow the pattern of the righteous Nephites? Are we dedicated to freedom; tolerant of disagreement; righteously serving God? Do we uphold the law even when our enemies exploit it against us? Are we loyal to our nation whether we agree with particular policies or not? Are we merciful in victory, and humble and sharing to those less fortunate than we? Are our leaders righteous, unselfish men?
My own answers...

The majority do not follow the patterns of the righteous Nephites.

There is a strong Minority that is dedicated to freedom and tolerant of disagreement.

I believe that there are many that desire to serve God Righteously.

I have been upholding the common law and parliamentary law when others did not, and I saw a strong minority also uphold the rule of law while the majority did not. I believe that gives a snapshot of the bigger picture.

I believe that there is a strong minority that is Fiercely loyal to this nation as it was established by Jesus Christ through wise men that he raised for that purpose despite the failed policies that are being implemented by wicked men.

I know many charitable people.

I believe that our church leaders are righteous unselfish men, but the political leaders... I could not say anything near that.

p51-mustang
captain of 1,000

Post by p51-mustang »

The next article link on that page "six nephites judges, a study in integrity" is really good also.

this quote seems timely:

3. The dissenters were invariably opposed to the church of God, from Amlici to Amalickiah, from the Zoramites to Pachus; while, of course, the more righteous majority showed again and again their reliance on the Lord, and even sent missionaries where a less righteous people might have sent armies. (Alma 31:5.)

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

p51-mustang wrote:The next article link on that page "six nephites judges, a study in integrity" is really good also.

this quote seems timely:

3. The dissenters were invariably opposed to the church of God, from Amlici to Amalickiah, from the Zoramites to Pachus; while, of course, the more righteous majority showed again and again their reliance on the Lord, and even sent missionaries where a less righteous people might have sent armies. (Alma 31:5.)
Powerful!

and even sent missionaries where a less righteous people might have sent armies.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

masterdmjg wrote:Very interesting article. I especially liked the points at the end.
The Nephites were finally brought down when the unrighteous became the majority, oppressing the righteous, perverting the law, waging unjust wars, and allowing secret combinations to prevail. When the majority is wicked, it is the righteous minority that is in dissent—and while the righteous are tolerant, the unrighteous are not. It was in such a time that the church members were threatened with death until they were saved by the day and night and day without darkness when Christ was born. (3 Ne. 1:4–21.)

What does this mean to us, today? We need to examine our own society: does the majority follow the pattern of the righteous Nephites? Are we dedicated to freedom; tolerant of disagreement; righteously serving God? Do we uphold the law even when our enemies exploit it against us? Are we loyal to our nation whether we agree with particular policies or not? Are we merciful in victory, and humble and sharing to those less fortunate than we? Are our leaders righteous, unselfish men?
Many good questions to think about and discuss.
Very telling as well

it is the righteous minority that is in dissent—

J
captain of 50

Post by J »

[...]
Last edited by J on September 14th, 2012, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

SEE!! Told you it was good!!