Priorities Money or people?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Priorities Money or people?

Post by shadow »

Your post reminded me of "when ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God".

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

It's hard to watch people age. When I worked at an assisted living center it was such a peaceful job though. There is nothing that can set your priorities straight better than listening to the advice of someone nearing death who didn't. I wish society didn't hide them away so much, because their struggles can teach us so much.

Sometimes I wonder if age related struggles prepare us with humility for the next stage of our existence.

Take good care of your mom, she will probably appreciate small things. I often had older people cry telling me how much they appreciated the simplest of things... like painting their nails or reading to them. Stuff you just take for granted that becomes difficult. Remember that she is at a transitional stage of life, and help her prepare for that. Prepare yourself too.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

ChelC, I worked at two assisted living centers and for one home health care company. There's something about working with the elderly that you don't get anywhere else.

Moses
captain of 100

Post by Moses »

When my dad died in 1993 he was aheavy smoker and not a member of the church. I was worried my mum might follow close behind. But she is a Blitz child who had her house bombed by the Nazis. and it a tough cookie, She often telles me a story , I dont know if she remembers that she has told it so many times. but she says her mums sister who was another tough cookie and staunch person. it was another air raid and they all were rushing to the shelters, then Aunty said. "I am staying here in my house I will not be dominated." :D . I think mum has some of those qualities.

In the last three years. she has had two major heart attacks, and now two hip replacements. and has macular degeneration. But she makes her own sweaters and the childrens clothes from feel, rather than sight. She also is abreast of the times. so I am really positive about her recovery. Lets hope so. the grandkids desperately want her to live a lot longer. We married late so the kids are still young and adore their Nanner.

Thanks for the kind words.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Rowena was a lady that lived at the assisted living center. She lived to be either 106 or 107, I'm not sure. Right up to the end she was sharp as a tack and she had a wheelchair because she'd get tired, but she could walk fine. She was born in 1898, when Wilford Woodruff was president of the church. There were only three of the prophets whose service she hadn't lived during. She could remember when Lorenzo Snow was the prophet. We took her to tour the Conference center in SLC, and she just cried and talked about how wonderful it was forever after that. She was such a neat lady.

My husband's grandmother lived to be 98, and she too was sharp as could be right to the end.

Anyway, you're right, no one should count her out. Write down all of her stories. Tape record them. Take advantage of all of those things you want to pass along to the grandchildren.