Fenced IN?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
pritchet1
captain of 1,000

Fenced IN?

Post by pritchet1 »

"Surely it can't happen here!"

Discusses Ron Paul's comments at the so-called "GOP Debate" last week.

http://godfatherpolitics.com/901/a-fenc ... its-crazy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

durangout
captain of 1,000

Re: Fenced IN?

Post by durangout »

It was a stupid comment and proof why he isn't a contender for the nomination. IMHO

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

durangout wrote:It was a stupid comment and proof why he isn't a contender for the nomination. IMHO
I take it you've never experience being fenced in before???

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

Jason wrote:
durangout wrote:It was a stupid comment and proof why he isn't a contender for the nomination. IMHO
I felt pretty "fenced-in" In the MTC :D

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

Jason wrote:

Having said that, let me also say that I agree with much of what he says. That's not contradictory is it?

M249Gunner
captain of 100

Post by M249Gunner »

durangout wrote:
Jason wrote:
I felt pretty "fenced-in" In the MTC :D

Me too!! Even the walkways were covered! I had to walk out in the parking lot just to be able to see the sky and mountains.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

My thought on the fenced in comment - I would assert that the majority of times that a country (or a city) had border fences - in the majority of cases those fences were eventually used to keep people in.

That goes for the great wall of China, the Berlin Wall, and countless fences in the old USSR.

Now I haven't researched that, which is why I up front label it an assertion. Can anyone give some examples of border fences that were used exclusively to keep people out?

pritchet1
captain of 1,000

Post by pritchet1 »

Don't forget the wall built across Great Britain. All these walls were intended originally to protect those within at great expense, but all ended up being used as prison walls. That is the lesson.

I'm thinking also of the systematic concrete sound barrier walls (still) being built around the Tri-Cities, WA and housing projects. How easy it would be to put up a barricade at the city entrances and razor wire along the tops of those existing walls.

I saw that in the "gated" communities in Puerto Rico as well (razor wire on the walls).

BTW, it didn't help the communities in the Book of Mormon times really, in the end. They were temporary at best.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

It was a good article....
"It can't happen here" is a very dangerous delusion...