Partaking of Spoils: Are You?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Partaking of Spoils: Are You?

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

In the Book of Mormon we read that the Gadianton Robbers had the people seduced and they joined in with them in their "spoils".

Helaman 6
38 And it came to pass on the other hand, that the Nephites did build them up and support them, beginning at the more wicked part of them, until they had overspread all the land of the Nephites, and had seduced the more part of the righteous until they had come down to believe in their works and partake of their spoils, and to join with them in their secret murders and combinations.

39 And thus they did obtain the sole management of the government, insomuch that they did trample under their feet and smite and rend and turn their backs upon the apoor and the meek, and the humble followers of God.

40 And thus we see that they were in an awful state, and aripening for an everlasting destruction.
What does "partaking of their spoils" include?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Re: Partaking of Spoils: Are You?

Post by Jason »

....infiltrated just about every facet of our lives - from entertainment/media to manufacturing/consumption to education to social safety nets/government/politics to medicine/medical/pharma to food to banking to (fill in the blank)....

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Jason wrote:....infiltrated just about every facet of our lives - from entertainment/media to manufacturing/consumption to education to social safety nets/government/politics to medicine/medical/pharma to food to banking to (fill in the blank)....

True. But what about some of the every day life things that even members of the church do without realizing it?

dauser
captain of 100

Post by dauser »

The wicked more easily use government to devour the property of others without their consent.

Government spends more of your taxes protecting crime than preventing crime.

As crime is legalized,,, more people become criminals.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

InfoWarrior82 wrote:
Jason wrote:....infiltrated just about every facet of our lives - from entertainment/media to manufacturing/consumption to education to social safety nets/government/politics to medicine/medical/pharma to food to banking to (fill in the blank)....

True. But what about some of the every day life things that even members of the church do without realizing it?
That's what I was talking about.....from shopping at Walmart (anywhere they sell made in China) to popping big pharma pills to swallowing soda poison (aspartame, HFCS, etc - processed pap food) to watching shill mainstream media to voting for one corrupt schmuck after another to utilizing education grants/loans to utilizing unemployment/heating assistance/food stamps/etc to IRS/taxes.....and on and on and on. 1/3 of state budgets (average) comes from federal dollars. Most students get their education on dollar's not their own....as well as support (food stamps, medicaid, etc) while getting through school.

Or how about all the people that make an extremely good living based off of corrupt system requirements (insurance, medical/pharma, legal, taxes/accounting, etc etc etc)....

WE are saturated!

Zkulptor
captain of 100

Post by Zkulptor »

Jason wrote:
InfoWarrior82 wrote:

That's what I was talking about.....from shopping at Walmart (anywhere they sell made in China) to popping big pharma pills to swallowing soda poison (aspartame, HFCS, etc - processed pap food) to watching shill mainstream media to voting for one corrupt schmuck after another to utilizing education grants/loans to utilizing unemployment/heating assistance/food stamps/etc to IRS/taxes.....and on and on and on. 1/3 of state budgets (average) comes from federal dollars. Most students get their education on dollar's not their own....as well as support (food stamps, medicaid, etc) while getting through school.

Or how about all the people that make an extremely good living based off of corrupt system requirements (insurance, medical/pharma, legal, taxes/accounting, etc etc etc)....

WE are saturated!
I earn a living by producing toy prototypes that require slave labor in order for companies to profit.... however as of the last few months Production costs in China have sky rocketed due to labor laws etc... I am happy for those people making a bit more money... it is however killing my industry... but oh well...
Not to hijack the thread... but this is what we partake of when we buy something produced in China... very sad indeed...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7664645042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

Zkulptor wrote:
Jason wrote: That's what I was talking about.....from shopping at Walmart (anywhere they sell made in China) to popping big pharma pills to swallowing soda poison (aspartame, HFCS, etc - processed pap food) to watching shill mainstream media to voting for one corrupt schmuck after another to utilizing education grants/loans to utilizing unemployment/heating assistance/food stamps/etc to IRS/taxes.....and on and on and on. 1/3 of state budgets (average) comes from federal dollars. Most students get their education on dollar's not their own....as well as support (food stamps, medicaid, etc) while getting through school.

WE are saturated!
I earn a living by producing toy prototypes that require slave labor in order for companies to profit.... however as of the last few months Production costs in China have sky rocketed due to labor laws etc... I am happy for those people making a bit more money... it is however killing my industry... but oh well...
Not to hijack the thread... but this is what we partake of when we buy something produced in China... very sad indeed...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7664645042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good video Z. Like Jason said when we shop at Walmart(anywhere that sells made in China), we are partaking of the spoils, and that is just one example of many. We deserve the best deal right? The owner of a European toy company, at the end of this documentary, nailed it on the head. He said that everyone likes to be concerned for the enviroment and peoples rights, but the customers are not willing to pay the extra cost.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Last edited by gruden2.0 on August 10th, 2011, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Everyone partakes of the spoils, pretty much. I'm willing to bet 99.99% of those on this forum do in some way whether they know it or not.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

ChelC wrote:Everyone partakes of the spoils, pretty much. I'm willing to bet 99.99% of those on this forum do in some way whether they know it or not.
You make a good point. We buy clothes, much of which was made by sweatshop labor. We owe much of the cheap prices we pay for all kinds of goods to low-cost laborers and factory workers in Asia. I've thought about this a great deal from time to time, but have no good solution. We live off the backs of the world.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

A close friend of mine lost his job a few yrs back and could no longer afford his house payment. He kept his first mortgage current but when his 2nd wouldn't lower the 10% interest rate he stopped paying them. He just got a letter from Chase bank saying that the government was paying off the $100k+ loan and they will release the lien on the house. Some Dodd-Frank hamp something or other house saving program... Luckyyyyyy :))
Of course he didn't ask for it, Chase just told him to sign a form and it'll be done... More power to him I suppose :ymsmug:

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

gruden2.0 wrote:
ChelC wrote:Everyone partakes of the spoils, pretty much. I'm willing to bet 99.99% of those on this forum do in some way whether they know it or not.
You make a good point. We buy clothes, much of which was made by sweatshop labor. We owe much of the cheap prices we pay for all kinds of goods to low-cost laborers and factory workers in Asia. I've thought about this a great deal from time to time, but have no good solution. We live off the backs of the world.
Its not even living off the backs of the sweat shops.....its supporting conspiracies (like pegged currencies) which shift American jobs overseas....and by so doing contribute to our own demise. Same with buying food from the big corporations while starving out the little farmer. Or a doctor that comes out of school as a glorified pharma sales rep.....or the dentist pushing fluoride poisoning because its good for future business....or the researchers and scientists that work for the MIC....or support for businesses that buy up and shelve technology all in the name of their bottom line.....etc etc etc etc

Its all done because we are looking out for what we perceive to be our best "short-term" interests.....to our long-term demise. How satan works on nearly everything. Sells a person a short-term pleasure (or what they perceive to be pleasure) in return for their long-term destruction....such that he can accuse them at the judgment seat and enjoy company in misery!

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

It all fine and dandy to fume and fuss about this but what should or could any of us do about this.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Jason,

Well said. The one that I "fuss and fume" about the most is the education system. We are told that the cost per pupil per year is anywhere from $8,000 to $10,000 currently. Most people don;t pay that much in taxes - I have two kids in publik ejukashun at the moment - that is supposedely a $16,000 - $20,000 per year benefit, yet my income tax outlay is "only" a few thousand dollars, so I am deceived into thinking I am getting a good deal/partaking of the spoils. Not to mention all those fine roads that cost hundreds of thousands per mile to pave and maintain, etc etc.

The whole thing is a scam. I have been very vocal during my run for the state legislature as well as supporting voucher programs, etc. for the need of major overhaul of public education. Personally I would eliminate all federal involvement and most state involvement in education if I ahd my choice. We actually did try a couple of years of private school, loved it but found it too expensive. So we are yes "partakers of the spoils" as we felt the best educatin we could give our boys was "free" (gag) public school, which I and my wife have both augmented as best we could with lots of after hours education regarding freedom, liberty, etc. In other words, we try to counter what we perceive to be the negatives of public school while "partaking of the spoils" of much of the knowledge available.

And I certainly feel a bit hypocritical. Personally, I always favored home schooling, and let the kids follow more of a self guided path. Both boys are geniuses and love to learn. But my wife was worried, and possibly correctly, about how that would have affected their chances for higher education and especially scholarships and such. Again, sold on the short term gain rather than on what I always felt was actually "right". But largely water under the bridge, at this point. But I think that it is also a pretty typical example of how well intentioned people come to be partakers of the spoil of the gadiantons. It's pretty ahrd to say no to "free stuff". I see Youtube's of people from the 08 election enthusing about how Obama was going to "buy them gas and pay their rent" - in the past it would have made me angry, now I kind of think "there, but for the grace of God, go I."

We certainly cannot be upset with politicians who "sell their vote". Most of us do so every election - we don't vote for principle, we vote for who will give us the most and tax our earnings bracket the least.

dauser
captain of 100

Post by dauser »

Almost everyone is doing it.

...it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion. Hence many are called, but few are chosen. (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 121:39 - 40)

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Here we have full school choice with the public funds following the child. In most Australian cities and towns you will have a choice between at least a government, what you folks would call a public, school and a Catholic one. In bigger cities your choices expand with Anglecan, Baptist, Islamic, Jewish and many other choices. The non-government schools are free to charge tuition over and above what they get from the child allotment. Religious schools are usually modest in tuition perhaps $2000 or so a year. The more elite schools can get very pricey.

Home schooling is popular especially in the rural and isolated areas. We still have a government run school of the air now done via Internet. Secondary age students in these areas have the option of attending public, religious or private boarding schools.

School fees, uniforms and other educatioal expenses are tax deductible. University and trades education is very inexpensive a university student pays no more than $900 a term in tuition. Trade schools, called TAFEs are even less costly. Almost with out exception primary and secondary student wear uniforms. In rural areas children travel to school by school bus in cities and towns they are expected to use the public busses and trains to get to school.

My son who is 12 has been in the local public school and we have been happy with it. We still have prayer in schools here in the government schools it is student lead and you get a wide range of various religious prayers. Christian, Hindu Muslim and so on. Schools also have chaplains, generally catholic or Anglican who help students as well.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

gkearney wrote:Here we have full school choice with the public funds following the child. In most Australian cities and towns you will have a choice between at least a government, what you folks would call a public, school and a Catholic one. In bigger cities your choices expand with Anglecan, Baptist, Islamic, Jewish and many other choices. The non-government schools are free to charge tuition over and above what they get from the child allotment. Religious schools are usually modest in tuition perhaps $2000 or so a year. The more elite schools can get very pricey.

Home schooling is popular especially in the rural and isolated areas. We still have a government run school of the air now done via Internet. Secondary age students in these areas have the option of attending public, religious or private boarding schools.

School fees, uniforms and other educatioal expenses are tax deductible. University and trades education is very inexpensive a university student pays no more than $900 a term in tuition. Trade schools, called TAFEs are even less costly. Almost with out exception primary and secondary student wear uniforms. In rural areas children travel to school by school bus in cities and towns they are expected to use the public busses and trains to get to school.

My son who is 12 has been in the local public school and we have been happy with it. We still have prayer in schools here in the government schools it is student lead and you get a wide range of various religious prayers. Christian, Hindu Muslim and so on. Schools also have chaplains, generally catholic or Anglican who help students as well.

If I ever got married (and had kids), I would want to move to Australia simply for the school system :ymapplause: ....no way I could have remained in California :-ss

WYp8riot
captain of 1,000

Post by WYp8riot »

Some of the modern day spoils....

Government schools
Social Security
Food stamps
Medicare/Medicaid
a big one would also be unconstitutional government jobs/contracts where the pay is received as a result of government. Compulsory taxation. So yes government school teachers are receiving Gadianton spoils.

Spoils gone wild?
see here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=xO ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Last edited by Rincon on September 12th, 2011, 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

But just what are spoils?

Can any of us truly say we do not partake in them? What of the following are we not using:

Streets
Sidewalks
Street lights
Traffic control (signs, stop lights and so on.)
Public park, camp grounds (was the recent MFF campout conducted on public lands?)
Public schools and universities
Fire departments
Water sewer and sanitation
Libraries

The list could go on forever. While some of these may have a fee for service, water and sewer for example. None of them likely exists without taxpayer funding well in excess of this fees. I would suggest that short of holding up in some kind of self sustaing compound, and even the you would still be dependent on the government to protect your air and water form pollution, no one can live in the modern world without taking some of the aforementioned spoils.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

gkearney wrote:But just what are spoils?

Can any of us truly say we do not partake in them? What of the following are we not using:

Streets
Sidewalks
Street lights
Traffic control (signs, stop lights and so on.)
Public park, camp grounds (was the recent MFF campout conducted on public lands?)
Public schools and universities
Fire departments
Water sewer and sanitation
Libraries

The list could go on forever. While some of these may have a fee for service, water and sewer for example. None of them likely exists without taxpayer funding well in excess of this fees. I would suggest that short of holding up in some kind of self sustaing compound, and even the you would still be dependent on the government to protect your air and water form pollution, no one can live in the modern world without taking some of the aforementioned spoils.
Does Babylon = the modern world???

WYp8riot
captain of 1,000

Post by WYp8riot »

Partake....

http://www.webster1828.com/websters1828 ... rd=Partake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WYp8riot
captain of 1,000

Post by WYp8riot »

Spoil....

http://www.webster1828.com/websters1828 ... word=Spoil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

There is no way to avoid being touched by the blood and sins of this generation. However, the Lord has provided a way to overcome them.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

BrentL wrote:it does not matter if you partake or not, your children are still in debt for it.
#-o