Independent American Party Rising

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Independent American Party Rising

Post by oneClimbs »

http://www.independentamericanparty.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just launched the site this evening, we've put a lot of work into it and I would like to hear the opinions of the forum. Where we could really use some help is on the 15 principles. If anyone visits the site and sees anything that they would like to add or contribute to improve the message, we'd love your input.

We're trying to do our part to proclaim the principles of freedom and educate the public as to their rights. As a member of the forum since 2004, I respect the opinions of many here which is why I am bringing this to your attention.

I first made contact with the IAP last October and heard nothing back until a few months ago because my email got shuffled into a spam folder. I was inspired by Benson's "Proper Role of Government" speech that I read on their old site and felt a strong desire to do something to make these principles better known. So I offered my assistance and that is how I got involved.

I simply got sick of just complaining about things and decided that I was going to do something about it. The IAP might not be for everyone, but every one of the 15 principles are straight from Benson and I feel that any Latter-day Saint could support these things. So if anyone wants to get involved, you are certainly welcome!

Galticus
captain of 50

Re: Independent American Party Rising

Post by Galticus »

Anything to shake up the two party system!

Great website. It feels quite a bit more focused than the Tea Party and it hasn't been co-opted by the Neocons yet.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Was the idea to create this party inspired/influenced by this following quote:
Mosiah Lyman Hancock attributes to Joseph Smith Jr wrote: There will be two great political parties in this country. One will be called the
Republican, and the other the Democrat party. These two parties will go to war and out of these
two parties will spring another party which will be the Independent American Party. The United
States will spend her strength and means warring in foreign lands until other nations will say,
"Let's divide up the lands of the United States", then the people of the U. S. will unite and swear
by the blood of their fore-fathers, that the land shall not be divided. Then the country will go to
war, and they will fight until one half of the U. S. army will give up, and the rest will continue to
struggle. They will keep on until they are very ragged and discouraged, and almost ready to give
up--when the boys from the mountains will rush forth in time to save the American Army from
defeat and ruin. And they will say, 'Brethren, we are glad you have come; give us men,
henceforth, who can talk with God'. Then you will have friends, but you will save the country
when it's liberty hangs by a hair, as it were".

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

mes5464 wrote:Was the idea to create this party inspired/influenced by this following quote:
Mosiah Lyman Hancock attributes to Joseph Smith Jr wrote: There will be two great political parties in this country. One will be called the
Republican, and the other the Democrat party. These two parties will go to war and out of these
two parties will spring another party which will be the Independent American Party. The United
States will spend her strength and means warring in foreign lands until other nations will say,
"Let's divide up the lands of the United States", then the people of the U. S. will unite and swear
by the blood of their fore-fathers, that the land shall not be divided. Then the country will go to
war, and they will fight until one half of the U. S. army will give up, and the rest will continue to
struggle. They will keep on until they are very ragged and discouraged, and almost ready to give
up--when the boys from the mountains will rush forth in time to save the American Army from
defeat and ruin. And they will say, 'Brethren, we are glad you have come; give us men,
henceforth, who can talk with God'. Then you will have friends, but you will save the country
when it's liberty hangs by a hair, as it were".
Absolutely. I know this first hand.

Galticus
captain of 50

Post by Galticus »

I believe the AIP was started in the late 80's/early 90's based on Mosiah Hancock.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I think the IAP will find itself very much in step with the Constitution Party. What does the IAP have to offer that the CP does not ?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

lundbaek wrote:I think the IAP will find itself very much in step with the Constitution Party. What does the IAP have to offer that the CP does not ?
I was a county chairman for the Utah IAP at the time that they became a national party. I think it was a mistake, but I have nothing but respect for the people I worked with in the IAP,

Dan Hansen, who I believe was in charge of the Nevada IAP, was a true modern day Captain Moroni in my opinion.

Same goes for Will Christensen, who is currently the national chairman of the party. A great man that I spent many evenings at his home learning from him and discussing politics and the gospel.

I do think that we would have been better served to affiliate with the Consitution Party. As highly as I respected those involved, I felt that they were a little too focused on forcing a fulfillment of the Mosiah Hancock prophesy (I got caught up in the spirit of doing this as well.)

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

How is this party different from:

http://www.iapn.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might they complain about taking the name?

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Original_Intent wrote:
lundbaek wrote:I think the IAP will find itself very much in step with the Constitution Party. What does the IAP have to offer that the CP does not ?
I was a county chairman for the Utah IAP at the time that they became a national party. I think it was a mistake, but I have nothing but respect for the people I worked with in the IAP,

Dan Hansen, who I believe was in charge of the Nevada IAP, was a true modern day Captain Moroni in my opinion.

Same goes for Will Christensen, who is currently the national chairman of the party. A great man that I spent many evenings at his home learning from him and discussing politics and the gospel.

I do think that we would have been better served to affiliate with the Consitution Party. As highly as I respected those involved, I felt that they were a little too focused on forcing a fulfillment of the Mosiah Hancock prophesy (I got caught up in the spirit of doing this as well.)
Can you provide a link to the party you are speaking of?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

It used to be at http://www.usiap.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but now I see they are using http://www.independentamericanparty.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I haven't heard the prophecy discussed by the leadership, but the guys I know personally are aware of it. The general feeling that I get is that we are more focused on educating people on solid principles and doing our civic duty, and as for any prophecies, we'll let the Lord fulfill them as he sees fit. OI, Will Christensen isn't the current chairman (but is still very much involved), the current chairman was John Greenamyre, but he as stepped down recently due to health issues. Talking to some of the guys, they say over the past few years they have weeded out a lot of individuals who were not there for the right reasons and feel as though they have a strong group of people with their heads screwed on straight.

As with any organization, it's the people that make the difference. I hope that well-intentioned people get involved and help support good organizations that stand for true principles. Honestly, I'd love to see 50 more parties such as this spring up all working to seek out and sustain good and honest candidates for public office while standing for principles of liberty, because in the end, all I care about is that my children don't end up as slaves.

The reason that I believe that Ezra Taft Benson's 15 principles make an incredible foundation for a party is that they form a perfect modern-day outline of our basic rights. When I came on board I had the idea to place the heaviest focus on these 15 principles to accomplish the same purpose as the declaration of Independence or the title of liberty.

People will not act unless they see that they are losing or have lost something to begin with. Both Jefferson and Moroni began their revolutions by declaring the unalienable rights and liberties of the people to contrast how those rights were being threatened or violated.

I feel like this is a solid, proven formula for success and we have adopted this idea into the party. So it becomes imperative to lift up and promote these core principles, not just as good ideas, but as bedrock truths that must not be compromised.

I'm glad to at least hear positive support from most of you thus far. I know that sometimes there is a psychology to sit around and wish that someone would do something and then when someone does, we immediately become skeptical, doubtful and fail to support them because we become too distracted by the frailties of man instead of seeing the good and finding ways to support it.

I feel like we are a "Moses-like" organization in that we are determined but not able to lift our arms in the air long enough for our Joshua's out there to obtain victory (see Exodus 17:10-13) and that we need an Aaron and a Hur to come and support our arms so that we all might succeed together.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I think that we have much in common with parties like the Constitution or the Tea Parties in that we see the obvious need for change. However, from us, you will be seeing a very positive, rather than antagonistic approach to how we express our views on the situation.

There are too many people bashing and contending harshly with others and I don't think this is the way to win hearts and minds. We must maintain a spirit of kindness and compassion and must not lower ourselves in to the mud to wrestle ideologically with others.

I think the sentiments of Joseph Smith pretty much sum up the attitude in the IAP:
"It is a love of liberty which inspires my soul—civil and religious liberty to the whole of the human race. Love of liberty was diffused into my soul by my grandfathers while they dandled me on their knees. …

If I esteem mankind to be in error, shall I bear them down? No. I will lift them up, and in their own way too, if I cannot persuade them my way is better; and I will not seek to compel any man to believe as I do, only by the force of reasoning, for truth will cut its own way. ”
(Documentary History of the Church Vol.5, p. 498.)"

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Wasn't the IAP founded by former member CHH?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Col. Flagg wrote:Wasn't the IAP founded by former member CHH?
I don;t think so, although his brother, Dan Hansen was the Nevada IAP chairman back when I was involved. A GREAT man.

Samuel the Lamanite
captain of 1,000

Post by Samuel the Lamanite »

I wish the IA Party great success. They will need, however, the direct backing of God to be successful. The two major parties have it locked up in terms of just getting ballot position let alone any coverage in the MSM.

I've been off and on involved in third party movements since 1968. I have run two statewide third party campaigns. In 2000, I even ran for NC governor on the Reform Party ticket. Got about .5% of the vote. The only reason I was able to run was because Pat Buchanan had the money and people to get on the NC Ballot so I was nominated for Governor in the RPNC State Convention.

I have no answer to this or any advice.

Matthew.B
captain of 100

Post by Matthew.B »

There's some sort of formatting issue- the scroll-over drop down menus at the top (Education Center, Take Action, etc.) are behind all non-text items on the page- especially bad on the home page. Maybe it's the computer I'm on? I'm at the public library.

Looks good. I'm young and haven't much experience with politics, so all I can do is offer you a hearty "good luck!". GOD bless!