Success Story re: Constitution / Franchise to Vote

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
tmac
captain of 1,000

Success Story re: Constitution / Franchise to Vote

Post by tmac »

I live in a rural county, and have been very involved in local political efforts over the course of the past several years. In previous threads I have described some of the efforts I have been involved with. We have experienced both great success and devastating failures in these efforts.

This year in our rural county of less than 20,000 people and two high schools, the local school board proposed a county-wide $50,000,000 general obligation bond to build two new high schools. We couldn't believe that the school board could be blind enough to make such a proposal right now (or any time for that matter), but they did. As has been our pattern, we got actively involved and opposed the bonds. The school board acted both shocked and completely offended that we would take opposition, and attempt to organize and speak-out against the bonds.

The bond election was held yesterday. Quite a low turn-out as one might expect, but the bond proposal was defeated. We were very happy about that.

Although our Constitution and Constitutional principles are in big trouble, and have been seriously eroded over the years, from my perspective, however, this is an example and further evidence that the Constitution does, as ETB stated, still hang by a single thread, and that is the franchise to vote.

loquaciousmomma
captain of 100

Re: Success Story re: Constitution / Franchise to Vote

Post by loquaciousmomma »

We just defeated a school bond issue in our county. I just found out that we haven't passed a school bond issue here in over fifty years.

In our county we have just built a new jail, a new hospital, a new library and our public health dept. wants a new building really bad. We also just found out that our sewer rates are going to double because the city was given a warning by the EPA to update the sewer system or else.

I don't think we will be passing a bond anytime soon. (We already have very high property tax rates compared to nearby counties.)