We are living "1984"

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
pritchet1
captain of 1,000

We are living "1984"

Post by pritchet1 »

Are we so gullible?

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? ... leId=24698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

waking
captain of 100

Re: We are living "1984"

Post by waking »

yes, plenty of people only pay attention to the headline, and never dig for the details and the truth.

pritchet1
captain of 1,000

Post by pritchet1 »

Here's more of the same - Cellphone monitoring masquerading as message alerts -
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/10/ ... ch-in-nyc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

I've always thought it was more of a Brave New World than a 1984ish...thats just me tho.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

John Locke wrote:I've always thought it was more of a Brave New World than a 1984ish...thats just me tho.
There is a cartoon out on the internet somewhere that poses the 1984 vs. Brave New World question. There is definitely a ton of evidence for the worst of both worlds.

I don;t want to llok it up as it seems it was on the vuulgar side IIRC. But essentially we have the complete lack of morals of BNW and the Big Brother government of 1984.

It's kind of funny I just "correlated" this - seems the GOP is pusihing the 1984 vision and the Democrats are pushing the Brave New World. And the "Third Way" politicians are often pushing the worst of both... :-ss

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

Oh ya there are certainly "big brother" type of things going on, but as a whole I've just been more inclined to think that "Brave New World" is the more prophetic book out of the 2. I like your correlation between the two major parties though....I might look into that actually, see how far down that rabbit hole you can go :D

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Ah, someone posted the "1984 vs. Brave New World" comic today over on Ron Paul forums, and it didn't have anything objectionable like I remembered. So here is a link to the thread there:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread ... -New-World" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

patriotsaint
captain of 1,000

Post by patriotsaint »

I think we are a society that resembles Brave New World far more than 1984. Are there segments and pockets that are 1984-ish? Sure there are, but on the whole I think Brave New World hit the nail on the head.

1984 seemed more to mirror totalitarian states like Soviet Russia rather than the United States. I do think however, that in the event of a disaster or some other event that eliminates all the distractions and amusements from a Brave New World type of society, that the society would devolve into a type of 1984 world. In the absence of pleasure and distractions, force will be amply employed to maintain control.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

hmm also reminds me of hegelian dialectic - they move in our direction, we move in their direction - thesis, antithesis, and synthesis.

Final objective - complete command and control, complete surveillance and dealing with undesirables thru torture, etc. but also the masses largely pleasure seekers and needing their soma. You say we are more Brave New World with pockets of 1984, I wonder if many of the old Soviet couontries are just the opposite...

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

Original_Intent wrote:Ah, someone posted the "1984 vs. Brave New World" comic today over on Ron Paul forums, and it didn't have anything objectionable like I remembered. So here is a link to the thread there:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread ... -New-World" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
liked the comic...made the mistake of reading posts after it...wow there are some special people on those forums....

patriotsaint
captain of 1,000

Post by patriotsaint »

Original_Intent wrote:You say we are more Brave New World with pockets of 1984, I wonder if many of the old Soviet couontries are just the opposite...
I think it is quite possible. They have a more instable state in some ways, and don't live in the opulent style that we do. That instability would breed control through force to a greater degree than we've seen here and the lower standard of living would probably lead to pockets of Brave new world type distractions, instead of an entire society given over to pleasure seeking as we find in the US.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

John Locke wrote:
Original_Intent wrote:Ah, someone posted the "1984 vs. Brave New World" comic today over on Ron Paul forums, and it didn't have anything objectionable like I remembered. So here is a link to the thread there:

liked the comic...made the mistake of reading posts after it...wow there are some special people on those forums....
LOL....they probably say the same about others....