Righteous leaders = prosper & vise versa

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
ktg
captain of 100

Righteous leaders = prosper & vise versa

Post by ktg »

I was reading in Ether the other day when the heading to chapter 10 jumped out at me:
'One king succeeds another—Some of the kings are righteous; others are wicked—When righteousness prevails, the people are blessed and prospered by the Lord.'
Upon reading the chapter, I believe that it's point, at least in part, is that when the people have righteous leaders, they are prospered, & when the leaders are wicked, the people come into bondage. Would anyone say we are currently, or have been any time in the last ??? years, being prospered?

also verse 7: '...And it came to pass that he did afflict the people with his whoredoms and abominations.'
Sound familiar?

also chapter 13:
20 And in the second year the word of the Lord came to Ether, that he should go and prophesy unto Coriantumr that, if he would repent, and all his household, the Lord would give unto him his kingdom and spare the people—
21 Otherwise they should be destroyed, and all his household save it were himself.

Interesting how if the King and his family would repent, then EVERYONE would be spared, otherwise, everyone dies.

I think our leaders have more effect upon our situation than some realize and it's very important that we do what we can to elect righteous leaders (although I think the effort is in vain). At least then our hands will be washed clean of the thing.