Quote of the day by Pres. Benson

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
minuet1
captain of 100

Quote of the day by Pres. Benson

Post by minuet1 »

I came across this quote by Pres. Benson while preparing my Seminary lesson on him:

"In the 1940s while serving as the executive officer of the National Council of Farmer Cooperatives in Washington, D.C., I saw in a Hilton Hotel a placard depicting Uncle Sam, representing America, on his knees in humility and prayer. Beneath the placard was the inscription, "Not beaten there by the hammer and sickle, but freely, responsibly, confidently. . . . We need fear nothing or no one save God." That picture has stayed in my memory ever since; America on her knees in recognition that all our blessings come from God! America on her knees out of a desire to serve the God of this land by keeping his commandments! America on her knees, not driven there in capitulation to some despotic government, but on her knees freely, willingly, gratefully! This is the sovereign remedy to all of our problems and the preservation of our liberties."

Ezra Taft Benson (1899 - 1994)

Source: Ensign, November 1976, p. 35.

I love the example of true patriotism from Pres. Benson. I believe the road to freedom always begins on ones knees.
Last edited by minuet1 on May 2nd, 2011, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Re: Qupte of the day by Pres. Benson

Post by Rand »

+1