Proper Local Government Role

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
fps.sledge
captain of 100

Proper Local Government Role

Post by fps.sledge »

In a recent post by the webmaster, I was led to ponder over the differences between proper federal government and local government. I think it's fair to say that we all generally believe in the same concepts when it comes to the proper role of federal government. But what about local government?

Most politicians at the federal level will come from the local government setting. I can only assume their policies, philosophies, and achievements are going to carry over from one level to the other. Are there many politicians who change their philosophies and policies depending on the measure of enforcement?

My post has been mostly rhetorical, but what political beliefs do you all have that differ between the local and federal levels?

I believe most political philosophies are universal. I say most because I haven't really taken a dive into the differentiations. If regulation is innappropriate at one level, it's most likely going to be inappropriate at all levels.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Re: Proper Local Government Role

Post by gclayjr »

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

SpeedRacer
captain of 1,000

Post by SpeedRacer »

gclayjr wrote:
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people
Amen. All states should have the same clause in their own laws granting even more rights to cities and municipalities.

How great would it be to have the option to move to a specific city in a specific state because it has the best rule of law. Then when it started filling up, other cities/states would want to adopt the same rules to attract population.

fps.sledge
captain of 100

Post by fps.sledge »

So would the policy of delegating power to every possible lower positions is the best policy of government under the federal level. In what ways would assuming different positions of power would be appropriate? Just at the city level? Does that means it's ok for a city to have as much tax and business regulation as the federal gov't currently has?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Let's look at what Ezra Taft Benson taught (Proper Role of Government):
It is a firm principle that the smallest or lowest level that can possibly undertake the task is the one that should do so. First, the community or city. If the city cannot handle it, then the county. Next, the state; and only if no smaller unit can possible do the job should the federal government be considered. This is merely the application to the field of politics of that wise and time-tested principle of never asking a larger group to do that which can be done by a smaller group. And so far as government is concerned the smaller the unit and the closer it is to the people, the easier it is to guide it, to keep it solvent and to keep our freedom. Thomas Jefferson understood this principle very well and explained it this way:

“The way to have good and safe government, is not to trust it all to one, but to divide it among the many, distributing to every one exactly the functions he is competent to. Let the national government be entrusted with the defense of the nation, and its foreign and federal relations; the State governments with the civil rights, law, police, and administration of what concerns the State generally; the counties with the local concerns of the counties, and each ward direct the interests within itself. It is by dividing and subdividing these republics from the great national one down through all its subordinations, until it ends in the administration of every man’s farm by himself; by placing under every one what his own eye may superintend, that all will be done for the best. What has destroyed liberty and the rights of man in every government which has ever existed under the sun? The generalizing and concentrating all cares and powers into one body.” (Works 6:543; P.P.N.S., p. 125)

It is well to remember that the states of this republic created the Federal Government. The Federal Government did not create the states.
Now let's think some things through... and ask yourself some questions.

Remember, "It is a firm principle that the smallest or lowest level that can possibly undertake the task is the one that should do so..."

We must also be sure to consider whether or not there should exist any laws regarding certain things. Elder Christofferson recently taught that Man's laws should reflect God's laws. I agree, and we must figure out the proper level for all of that, as low as possible.

Take the many things the Federal Government is doing that goes beyond the powers granted by the Constitution... most of it could be handled at the community or city level. Even many of the things State governments are doing could be handled at a lower level.

Education, for example, can and should be done at a community level, and also not by force, but only among those who choose to participate in community schools.

For example, "welfare programs, schemes for re-distributing the wealth, and activities which coerce people into acting in accordance with a prescribed code of social planning" are always wrong when done via government force, at any level. Those must remain voluntary, and be handled by individuals, private groups, churches, charities, etc.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Love Cleon's proposal (insight) of using judges and order as established by Moses. Problems all solved at the lowest level possible. Who cares what the lawyers and accountants end up doing (I'll be more than happy to take on a new line of employment)......just institute that structure and a good portion of our problems will get resolved.....assuming a righteous or mostly righteous base of course!