Obey the law... no matter what?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mahonri
Master
Location: Where you want to be when crap hits the fan, but I'm not telling.

Obey the law... no matter what?

Post by Mahonri »

http://www.ldsliberty.org/sacred-cow-1- ... tter-what/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our fearless list owner, Brian M., talks about obeying the law of the land in this new podcast at ldsliberty.org

Mahonri
Master

Re: Obey the law... no matter what?

Post by Mahonri »

no comments?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

First, understand what is the law of the land.

Then, obey it.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

nope....................... :D ;)

Post by Like »

I would stick with D&C 98:5-7 when understnding what is the law of the land is:

And that law of the land which is constitutional, supporting that principle of freedom in maintaining rights and privileges, belongs to all mankind, and is justifiable before me.

Therefore, I, the Lord, justify you, and your brethren of my church, in befriending that law which is the constitutional law of the land;

And as pertaining to law of man, whatsoever is more or less than this, cometh of evil.

Mahonri
Master

Post by Mahonri »

ya, we've had the discussion umpteen times before, I was just curious as to folks thoughts on the content of the podcast :)

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

I'll listen to the podcast tonight, I don't think I can pull it off at work. (maybe at lunch!)

Post by Like »

When Brian made mention to Matthew 17:24-27, the discussion reminded me of a point James Redford was making in Jesus Is an Anarchist, Jesus was not so thrilled with paying taxes but he did not want to cause trouble and get arrested. His mission was bigger than getting in trouble for not paying taxes, I like how Ezra pointed out that by supernatural means the Lord provided a way to pay the tax and move forward in accomplishing the measure of his creation. Jesus focus was on eternal things and we also need to have that focus and put the Lord first and if that is our focus then the Lord will take care of any details that may ensnare us, and fight our battles for us.

I also enjoyed the reference to Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, they weren't laws unto themselves but they were not going to coward to the law of the land either but were faithful to the Lord and his commandments first. They were protected. I am glad he mentioned Abinadi, sometimes the Lord will allow us to get burned so to speak, and that does not make us wrong in doing what is right Abinadi was faithful to the Lord but it is just the way things are sometimes.

I think they made a good point when referring to scriptures that sometimes we need to put a verse in proper perspective especially when there is another verse that seems to contradict another. We need to follow the Spirit and seek personal revelation if we follow that we can do no wrong in the eyes of God. As we draw closer to the Lord, as we seek him our views will become clearer, the Spirit will truly become our constant companion and the contradictions we see in different verses of scripture will not be seen as contradictions but more as suggestions for specific times and situations, and the Lord will let us know what to do in the moment we need to know. I feel this what the spirit was saying to me as I listened. (Maybe I am not expressing the impression I felt properly, sorry I feel I lack the gift of expression, I am working on it.)

To sum up the podcast I would put it this way: Rely on and put the Lord first. know the doctrine, seek and ask for the Lord to make known his will for you personally, follow it and let the consequence follow. No matter what happens you made the right choice and will be eternally blessed for it.

fps.sledge
captain of 100

Post by fps.sledge »

When Brian talked about how it would cost too much time and money to fight unworthy laws. He has a wife and family to worry about. This is probably the biggest reason why politicians and government officials get away with crime.

I understand that position, and even fall into that category. It feels like fighting the government is vain.

Mahonri
Master

Post by Mahonri »

did someone take the position of "fighting" the "government"?

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

done...thread....thousand....times

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I thoroughly enjoyed the podcast! Thank you.

As I see it right now, our individual as well as unified Spiritual strength in Christ's Church is generally weak. Without absolute Unity I'm afraid we must fail in any overt confrontation with the 'powers that be' and their so-called LAWs.

A US population well versed on Constitutional principles and well aware of current affairs could confront the leadership of this Nation based on Constitutional Law. Sadly, we are not well versed and aware.

We - as small farmers - have challenged so-called LAW in regard to USDA & local Federal agencies' regulations regarding farming practices on our own land. We do not receive money from those agencies and feel no obligation to kowtow to their intrusions.

The day may well arrive when our farm will be in jeopardy over these so-called 'laws'. I'm not sure what we will decide to do at that point. No doubt - as in the Ukraine - farm families who resist on their own land will have their livestock, seed, & food confiscated, be cordoned off & left to starve thus leaving the land free to corporations to do with as they see fit.

Dr. Monteith had an excellent interview with David Whitney from the Institute on the Constitution regarding how our Constitution has been corrupted by the notion of a 'living Constitution' as opposed to the Principle of God's Law upon which the Constitution was Founded.

http://radiolibertyarchives.gsradio.net ... 32311a.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Nice post BG! I think it will take more than individuals standing up to the Feds, as you imply. I think it will take multiple states nullifying many unconstitutional laws. It may take a civil war or multiple states seceding.

One of the blessings of the economic pain we are suffering - it is waking people up to a degree and getting them engaged. Still massive educational efforts needed.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

it doesn't matter what the laws are (except eternal ones) "they" will use, twist or ignore, as "the see fit" and us too

Mahonri
Master

Post by Mahonri »

Mazal wrote:When Brian made mention to Matthew 17:24-27, the discussion reminded me of a point James Redford was making in Jesus Is an Anarchist, Jesus was not so thrilled with paying taxes but he did not want to cause trouble and get arrested. His mission was bigger than getting in trouble for not paying taxes, I like how Ezra pointed out that by supernatural means the Lord provided a way to pay the tax and move forward in accomplishing the measure of his creation. Jesus focus was on eternal things and we also need to have that focus and put the Lord first and if that is our focus then the Lord will take care of any details that may ensnare us, and fight our battles for us.

I also enjoyed the reference to Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, they weren't laws unto themselves but they were not going to coward to the law of the land either but were faithful to the Lord and his commandments first. They were protected. I am glad he mentioned Abinadi, sometimes the Lord will allow us to get burned so to speak, and that does not make us wrong in doing what is right Abinadi was faithful to the Lord but it is just the way things are sometimes.

I think they made a good point when referring to scriptures that sometimes we need to put a verse in proper perspective especially when there is another verse that seems to contradict another. We need to follow the Spirit and seek personal revelation if we follow that we can do no wrong in the eyes of God. As we draw closer to the Lord, as we seek him our views will become clearer, the Spirit will truly become our constant companion and the contradictions we see in different verses of scripture will not be seen as contradictions but more as suggestions for specific times and situations, and the Lord will let us know what to do in the moment we need to know. I feel this what the spirit was saying to me as I listened. (Maybe I am not expressing the impression I felt properly, sorry I feel I lack the gift of expression, I am working on it.)

To sum up the podcast I would put it this way: Rely on and put the Lord first. know the doctrine, seek and ask for the Lord to make known his will for you personally, follow it and let the consequence follow. No matter what happens you made the right choice and will be eternally blessed for it.
I liked that. Thanks

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

You cannot defend the Constitution by abandoning the Constitution.

Remember its called the White Horse prophecy (conquest) and NOT the Red Horse prophecy (war).

Mahonri
Master

Post by Mahonri »

davedan wrote:You cannot defend the Constitution by abandoning the Constitution.

Remember its called the White Horse prophecy (conquest) and NOT the Red Horse prophecy (war).
huh? Who talked about abandoning the Constitution?

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

agreed.................but, it doesn't matter what the law is, legally, constitutionally, etc... NOW, it's all about judges, they'll do what they want, (even in the church, sometimes)