The New Rome?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
pritchet1
captain of 1,000

The New Rome?

Post by pritchet1 »

Reading the following, I was struck by how we have become the "New Rome" with our jack-booted military (legionnaires) out and about expanding the empire -

Comments of the "Left's Sickening Hypocrisy on the use of Military Force"
http://comments.americanthinker.com/rea ... 89294.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edward Gbbon (1776-1788) "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" -
http://www.historyguide.org/intellect/g ... cline.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ccel.org/g/gibbon/decline/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are we "there" yet?

Glenn
captain of 100

Re: The New Rome?

Post by Glenn »

pritchet1 wrote:Reading the following, I was struck by how we have become the "New Rome" with our jack-booted military (legionnaires) out and about expanding the empire -
A accurate observation indeed.

I, however, believe it is no longer a pending question; we are as Rome was. Let me elaborate. Rome revolutionized much of the known Western world culturally, militarily and politically; this accomplishment has only been matched and perhaps eclipsed by the United States. The feudal states of Europe were fragments of the once great empire. The British Empire and the United States of America rose from the ashes of Rome in a manner of speaking. Unfortunately, our decline is increasingly similar to that of Rome as well.

My avatar has been confusing to some: Senatus Populusque Romanus ("The Senate and People of Rome") or SPQR. It is said that Rome did not fall in a day. It can also be said that Rome did not loose its Republic in a day. In fact the death of the Roman Republic occurred over a number of years. This transition from a Republic to a Dictatorial Empire begin in earnest around the time of Julius Caesar and was concluded during the reign of Octavian (Augustus), the nephew of Julius Caesar, and the first Emperor of Rome. In the beginning Augustus co-ruled Rome with the Senate, but careful planning and manipulation eventually yielded him all the reigns of power. Despite this devious accomplishment, the Roman Senate lived on to provide a facade of distributed power......Is this sounding familiar yet?

Today in America, do we not march to conquer foreign lands and resources under the banner of "Freedom" and in the name of our Republic. Do our fighting men and woman differ greatly from those poor legionnaires expanding the Empire of Rome for the Caesars under the banner of "The Senate and People of Rome" (SPQR)?

Like Rome our nation was built upon democratic and republican principles. Like Rome we did not loose our Republic in a day, and like Rome our fall will not be completed in a day. However, our economic, political, moral and cultural decline has already been foretold by Rome. As America grew out of the ashes of Rome, will another nation grow out of our ashes? Will another civilization perfect what we began? OR....Can our doom be averted; is there still time to establish a Second American Republic?

pritchet1
captain of 1,000

Post by pritchet1 »

So the answer is, "Yes, we are there already".

So when do we get fed to the lions?

Glenn
captain of 100

Post by Glenn »

pritchet1 wrote:So the answer is, "Yes, we are there already".

So when do we get fed to the lions?
Now, be careful with what you say. You don't wont to give the historically ignorant mobs pressing for "change" any more bad ideas. :-$

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Removed
Last edited by Rincon on April 1st, 2011, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

pritchet1 wrote:Reading the following, I was struck by how we have become the "New Rome"... Are we "there" yet?
I recently watched a movie called "The Eagle"... it's about Rome. All throughout I kept thinking to myself how much closely it resembles the attitudes of many within the Unites States, and that U.S. = Rome.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Rincon wrote:Our ballgames are not far from the Roman games, not as violent yet, but the same mentality is there.
WWF, UFC, MMA, ICF, Strikeforce.....with the latest cage fighting rage????

Glenn
captain of 100

Post by Glenn »

BrianM wrote:recently watched a movie called "The Eagle"... it's about Rome. All throughout I kept thinking to myself how much closely it resembles the attitudes of many within the Unites States, and that U.S. = Rome
How was that movie (The Eagle) overall? I have an itch to see it.

Teancum-Old
captain of 100

Post by Teancum-Old »

Mummy wrote:
Rincon wrote:Our ballgames are not far from the Roman games, not as violent yet, but the same mentality is there.
WWF, UFC, MMA, ICF, Strikeforce.....with the latest cage fighting rage????
Good example Mummy. But don't forget to mention the madness of the fans who would do anything for "their team" including: drinking until they drop, name-calling to start a fight, intimidating opposing team fans cornering them with 10 buddies, mocking/ridiculing opposing fans as they file out of the stadiums, gang fighting on the stand between opposing fans, bystander fans gloating on the participants of the side show fights, fights ending in blood, knives, and death... Just a few reasons why I refuse to plaster my car, home, clothing with professional sports paraphernalia... I do not want to add fuel to that degrading fire.

I would say our ball game crowds are not far from the mentality of the Romans of yester-years. Sad but true. :(

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

the PAX AMERICANA is following very closely the fall of the PAX ROMANA. Theirs was a geographic empire, ours is an economic empire. The Soviet Union learned the hard way how expensive it is to hold countries with ethnic groups that hate you. The amount of money it took to keep Ukraine, Georgia, and Khazakstan in line bankrupted them. That is why the Soviet Empire cut these countiries loose to focus more of the economy into their military industrial complex.

Our economic empire is much cheaper and more efficient and stealthier to control. Other people who may be employed by a multinational company may have no idea who is really making all the policy decisions in their country. (special interests). Many Americans havn't figured this out eithers.

Rome had a huge trade deficit with China importing: Opium, spices, china, exotic animals, and more opium
Rome had a Welfare state promising citizens free bread and circus.
Rome was forced to devalue its currency because of the gold drain to China.
Rome was forced to continually expand its empire to supply liquidity to the economy to bring in tribute which ended up going to China.
Rome was forced to contract out to German Barbarian Foeterati (illegal aliens), to supply the Roman Legions with troops. (Marian reforms = Dream Act).
Rome was forced to give German Barbarians Social welfare benifits to fight in the Legion including Land in the empire.
When Rome was finally forced to cut benifits to the Barbarians who had no loyalty to the Empire.
Odoacer lead the German Barbarian Foeterati in an insurrection to kill Romulus Augustus and take over the Empire. This insurrection fractured and destroyed the Empire forever.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Glenn wrote:
BrianM wrote:recently watched a movie called "The Eagle"... it's about Rome. All throughout I kept thinking to myself how much closely it resembles the attitudes of many within the Unites States, and that U.S. = Rome
How was that movie (The Eagle) overall? I have an itch to see it.
I thought it was a good movie. I'd recommend it.