Censorship is good

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mahonri
Master
Location: Where you want to be when crap hits the fan, but I'm not telling.

Re: Censorship is good

Post by Mahonri »

Mummy wrote:
Constraints all around us.....

are they bad?

patriotsaint
captain of 1,000

Post by patriotsaint »

Mummy wrote:
patriotsaint wrote:He simply meant that government wasn't the only entity that could use force to censor, but that God has done so as well. At least that's the meaning I got from what he said.

Edit: Yes mummy, the government is the people, but when acting collectively it is government. I don't personally have the power to pull the plug on any of your websites, and neither do I have the right to force you to publish my viewpoints if you do not wish to do so.
True....but there are hackers that can accomplish that (without government).
Use of unauthorized force. Force is still used. If it is used without authorization, then the law should provide you protection/remedy. This scenario is not about censorship, but rather about a crime committed against you and your property.
Last edited by patriotsaint on March 17th, 2011, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

We censor ourselves (and hopefully our thoughts) on a daily basis....if we don't....then someone else will do it for us. Usually this involves a given set of constraints for the myriad conditions we find ourselves in - church, school, work, internet forum, visit to the ghetto, prison, courtroom, military, etc.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

patriotsaint wrote:
Mummy wrote:
patriotsaint wrote:He simply meant that government wasn't the only entity that could use force to censor, but that God has done so as well. At least that's the meaning I got from what he said.

Edit: Yes mummy, the government is the people, but when acting collectively it is government. I don't personally have the power to pull the plug on any of your websites, and neither do I have the right to force you to publish my viewpoints if you do not wish to do so.
True....but there are hackers that can accomplish that (without government).
Use of unauthorized force. Force is still used. If it is used without authorization, then the law should provide you protection/remedy
If the law can be enforced (always comes down to force!).

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

patriotsaint wrote:Yes, and private property is in play in each of your scenarios.

At work, you don't own the place, and therefore don't have the right to use it as a venue for personal expression. Same goes for Church.

If you were the owner of a business, the only time you would be censored would be by government (ie sexual harassment etc)
I've heard of a few business owners that were censored by employees. Couple of them permanently!

patriotsaint
captain of 1,000

Post by patriotsaint »

We're getting into some fairly broad definitions of censorship. For my posts I am using the definition that follows:

Censorship: suppression of speech or other communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the general body of people as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body.

"As determined by a government or other controlling body" is key. Just as I explained above, not everything you have mentioned is censorship. A hacker taking down your website is a crime, not valid censorship. Self control is exactly that, not censorship as per the definition stated above. Using a definition that encompasses everything you've discussed confuses the issue and results in us looking at endless scenarios rather than principles.

I believe the principles are as follows:

1. Publishers, bloggers, web site owners, and producers have a right to use their property as they see fit.
2. None of us have the right to force individuals listed in point 1 to use their private property as a vehicle for the expression of our views in the name of free speech.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

patriotsaint wrote:We're getting into some fairly broad definitions of censorship. For my posts I am using the definition that follows:

Censorship: suppression of speech or other communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the general body of people as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body.

"As determined by a government or other controlling body" is key. Just as I explained above, not everything you have mentioned is censorship. A hacker taking down your website is a crime, not valid censorship. Self control is exactly that, not censorship as per the definition stated above. Using a definition that encompasses everything you've discussed confuses the issue and results in us looking at endless scenarios rather than principles.

I believe the principles are as follows:

1. Publishers, bloggers, web site owners, and producers have a right to use their property as they see fit.
2. None of us have the right to force individuals listed in point 1 to use their private property as a vehicle for the expression of our views in the name of free speech.
Does it matter whether its "valid" or not....or who the "controlling" body happens to be? Or whether we like it or not?

If I get shot in South Central LA for running my mouth off.....do I care that the party to the deed just broke a law that may or may not be enforced (depending upon capability to enforce by another body)?

If Brian boots me from the forum....does it really matter what his reasons are? Whether its "valid" or not? It comes down to power and force. Game over!

You constrain yourself to meet the confines of whatever particular situation/circumstance you find yourself in with those that have power and force.....or you reap the consequences.

Abinadi was censured....it was unjust....and he chose that. Nothing wrong with that....and hat's off to him for the intestinal fortitude to do it. But at the end of the day he was censured. Right, wrong, or indifferent.

Censorship is a reality everyone has to deal with on a daily basis.....and probably the biggest challenge is censoring one's own thoughts!

patriotsaint
captain of 1,000

Post by patriotsaint »

Censorship using the definition I posted above is not something we deal with on a daily basis. That is what I am posting about.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

patriotsaint wrote:Censorship using the definition I posted above is not something we deal with on a daily basis. That is what I am posting about.
LOL....are you trying to censor me?

Good luck with that!

patriotsaint
captain of 1,000

Post by patriotsaint »

Not trying to censor you in the slightest LOL! Just trying to solidify a definition for clarity's sake. We won't get far in a discussion if we are talking about completely different definitions (as we've proved so far during this interchange).

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

patriotsaint wrote:Not trying to censor you in the slightest LOL! Just trying to solidify a definition for clarity's sake. We won't get far in a discussion if we are talking about completely different definitions (as we've proved so far during this interchange).
Where are you trying to go?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Mahonri wrote:
Mummy wrote:
Constraints all around us.....

are they bad?
some....some are good. I'd call it reality determined by the forces around us.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

Okay I missed something here...President Packer's Oct 2010 General Conference talk was censored? How, and in what way, and what parts?

I was siting in the audience taking notes when he spoke at BYU in Nov 88 on evolution, and March 92 where he touched on abortion and sexual relations in marriage. Funny how BYU swears he never spoke there those years, and you cannot find those talks.

Mahonri
Master
Location: Where you want to be when crap hits the fan, but I'm not telling.

Post by Mahonri »

HeirofNumenor wrote:Okay I missed something here...President Packer's Oct 2010 General Conference talk was censored? How, and in what way, and what parts?

I was siting in the audience taking notes when he spoke at BYU in Nov 88 on evolution, and March 92 where he touched on abortion and sexual relations in marriage. Funny how BYU swears he never spoke there those years, and you cannot find those talks.

there was a thread here somewhere about it, and several news articles in the papers. basically, it soften things up a little on the sodomites.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

It didn't soften anything... It clarified in a way which placed MORE responsibility on their shoulders, IMO. I believe it was changing the word "tendencies" to "temptations" if my memory serves. Tendencies would suggest an inherent behavior or feeling, whereas temptations does not.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

okay thank you - kind of like ignoring the claim of sexual "orientation" (helpless victim made that way) and insisting on owning up to the fact that it is sexual "preferences" (out of whack desires).

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Are we still on topic. I point out that Ezra Taft Benson's recommendation in the April 1972 General Conference of the book "None Dare Call It Conspiracy" was not printed in the Conference Report, nor in the July Ensign. Also, I consider the muzzling of "Many Are Called But Few Are Chosen" as censorship. And I've heard "The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson" was similerly censored. These books all address topics that would be aggravating to the LDGs.