So how do YOU feel about your background being checked?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Should we be allowed to investigate other citizens?

Yes, we should be able to know what kind of people we are associating with, period.
No votes
No, our neighbor's business is none of our business, period.
22%
Depends on the circumstances.
78%
Other.
No votes

Total votes: 9
SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: So how do YOU feel about your background being checked?

Post by SwissMrs&Pitchfire »

Depends, we have a right to be secure in our person/papers/property. I guess when we place our property/papers in the public domain, we get what we asked for.

Eventually everything unrepented will be shouted from the rooftops so personally I'm okay with everything coming out now. We ought not to be relying on the shadows to conceal our light or lack thereof, notwithstanding the fact that we certainly have that right.

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Removed
Last edited by Rincon on April 1st, 2011, 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fps.sledge
captain of 100

Post by fps.sledge »

Well the obvious answer is "it depends". HOwever, there were a list of situations you listed that I would say no to, so I voted no.

FIrst off, there are two kinds of situations I can already see being presented. Private checks, such as an employer performing a check on you. And the second is a gov't check.

As far as private checks go, they have the right to do whatever they want, however much I might disagree with it. I mean, they can collect as much information on me as they would like as long as their methods are legal. The govt should not ever provide information they might have to the private industry, unless it is public information.

The govt, should NOT be allowed to collect certain pieces of information without a legitimate, open warrant. None of these sealed warrants they've been carrying out the past few years.

If we're going to talk specifically about the background check required to purchase a firearm, I'm mostly against it. It requires that we receive permission from the government before purchasing a firearm. This is absolutely in violation of the second amendment. I recognize the appealing reasons behind a criminal background check. But it is in violation of the government structure God has inspired on Earth.

A few years back I can a ticket in Utah County when I was still living in Millard. I was in the process of fighting it and dealing with it for a couple of years. One day they held a court hearing without my knowledge. Because I wasn't there, the Judge issued a standard warrant for my arrest. This is not the way the court should operate, but this is what they do whenever someone doesn't appear. There was no opportunity to dispute the reasons behind this warrant, it was just issued. Come when I go to th sporting goods store to pickup a transferred rifle, I find out I can't pass a criminal background check over this. Whenever we give the govt permission to control our lives, they will surely abuse it.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

The more wicked society gets....the more due diligence required!