Elder Oaks 'Freedom of Speech tied to Freedom of Religion'

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Elder Oaks 'Freedom of Speech tied to Freedom of Religion'

Post by buffalo_girl »

Watch the video! Elder Oaks spells out the bond between Freedom of Speech and the Freedom of Religion.

He also clarifies the weakness in using the expression "Freedom of Worship" since that concept suggests 'Worship' is an isolated expression of Religious conviction and conscience apart from Public discussion.

http://lds.org/study/prophets-speak-tod ... s?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Fundamental Right

Elder Oaks said that “religious persons should insist on their constitutional right and duty to exercise their religion, to vote their consciences on public issues, and to participate in elections and in debates. . . . These are the rights of all citizens and they are also the rights of religious leaders and religious organizations. In this circumstance, it is imperative that those of us who believe in God and in the reality of right and wrong unite more effectively to protect our religious freedom to preach and practice our faith in God and the principles of right and wrong He has established.”

Please send your comments to the Church at the bottom of the page.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Elder Oaks 'Freedom of Speech tied to Freedom of Religio

Post by buffalo_girl »

Where is the video?

Just click on the link on my original post...or, click it below:

http://lds.org/study/prophets-speak-tod ... s?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post by Like »

Thanks buffalo_girl

Right in front of my face......Duh!!! =))

Post by Like »

That was a good interview.

Mahonri
Master
Location: Where you want to be when crap hits the fan, but I'm not telling.

Post by Mahonri »

buffalo_girl wrote: Please send your comments to the Church at the bottom of the page.

what were we supposed to write to them about? I find it ironic, but nothing worthy of writing a note about

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

My gosh, I guess I'm less cynical than I imagined!

I thought those of us who are concerned about 'Freedom' might like to let the Church know we wouldn't mind hearing more on the subject.

I thanked them for Elder Oaks' clarification of what is meant by our constitutionally guaranteed Freedom of Religion as it relates to Freedom of Speech.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

buffalo_girl wrote:I thanked them for Elder Oaks' clarification of what is meant by our constitutionally guaranteed Freedom of Religion as it relates to Freedom of Speech.
I agree. I don't see anything wrong with letting the brethren know we are grateful for their comments. I am sure they hear plenty when they say things people DON'T like. I also see no harm in expressing an interest in hearing more on a subject.

Mahonri
Master

Post by Mahonri »

I can think of a few people on the forum that will be upset that he dare talk about the US Constitution. Doesn't he know that if he does that he will turn people off in other countries? :))

Mahonri
Master

Post by Mahonri »

buffalo_girl wrote:My gosh, I guess I'm less cynical than I imagined!

I thought those of us who are concerned about 'Freedom' might like to let the Church know we wouldn't mind hearing more on the subject.

I thanked them for Elder Oaks' clarification of what is meant by our constitutionally guaranteed Freedom of Religion as it relates to Freedom of Speech.
Oh, sorry. I thought you had a complaint or thought others would.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

If some of you are wondering what happened to the 501(c)3 comments, go to this discussion...