No Taxation but a Tithe....to Vote

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Tribunal
captain of 1,000

No Taxation but a Tithe....to Vote

Post by Tribunal »

I've been reading the thread about a Taxation Amendment and wonder how a system of taxation could work that doesn't force people to contribute to government? I wonder if a voluntary tithe would work? I believe if God only requires one-tenth of our increase then any more asked by government would be tyranny. No property tax, no special tax on tobacco, fuel, alcohol, or waste, just a tithe on increase. And by contributing one-tenth of our earnings to the government of the State, we would have the power to vote in the State and Federal elections. This would be a Contract between government and the people. I'm a strong believer that voting is not a Right, but a Contract.

The State government would have no other source of revenue but the tithing contributions of the people living in the State. A voluntary tithe to fund government would be a great gauge to those called to serve in government. If no one paid their tithes out of protest to government or the corruption of the people, then the government would collapse and the people would re-establish a new government. If a lot of people paid their tithes then it could either be seen as a protest to re-establish their government, or as a promotion to empower their government.

The Federal government would have no other source of revenue but through trade across the borders of the United States and other nations, and from the treasury of each State according to the population/representation of each State. "No taxation without representation"!

I'll use the State of Utah in my example:
Utah has a population of about 3 million people.
If Utah had a voting population of 30% that would be 900,000.
The median income in Utah is about $55,000 so each person who contributed a tithe would give $5,500.
If all who vote were to contribute a tithe the State of Utah would generate almost $5 billion.
This is just about how much Utah generates from all of the various taxes for its budget.

This system would also require a moral people in order for it to work, but I believe this system would be the most accountable to the People, and promote the greatest level of freedom for all.

Comments are welcome?

davedan
captain of 1,000

Re: No Taxation but a Tithe....to Vote

Post by davedan »

I like the idea of flat tax, like tithing, instead of getting nickeled and dime'ed.

But I was thinking, if we believe in "no taxation without representation". Then should we believe in the reverse "no representation without taxation"? Should we make it a rule that if we had a purely "voluntary" tax or tithe that you can't vote or serve in office if you don't pay your taxes?

I still think a small sales tax is okay for states. This allows states to put referendums on t he ballot and its an easy way to say, "will the constituents approve a 1% sales tax, whose revenue will be used to build a high school and public swimming pool."

But, I could live without a sales tax.

Tribunal
captain of 1,000

Re: No Taxation but a Tithe....to Vote

Post by Tribunal »

There wouldn't be a sales tax because a business owner who chooses to become a citizen would use the income from their sales as their personal income for their tithe. There would be no corporations to hide behind!

The state governments would use all contributions to maintain the proper role of government - and that's to secure the Rights of the People. The federal government would use the contributions from each state, and from trade, to maintain the proper role of the federal government - and that's to protect the states from all threats, foreign and domestic.