How to be Safe: The Lords Security Methods

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
dennis
captain of 1,000

How to be Safe: The Lords Security Methods

Post by dennis »

One of my personal favorite writers Is John Pratt. this was written a few years ago but it is still revelant for us today.
Protecting Our Families with
the Lord's Security Methods
by John P. Pratt

The keystone of the highest level of security is intelligence, meaning knowing in advance what the enemy is planning to do.
The Lord has the supreme advantage over Satan in any contest, because he commands all intelligence and knows the end from the beginning. That should be the deepest basis of our own personal security,
The Lord can and does reveal other works of darkness to his prophets, so they can be forewarned:

And the Lord said: I will prepare unto my servant Gazelem, a stone, which shall shine forth in darkness unto light, that I may discover unto my people who serve me, that I may discover unto them the works of their brethren, yea, their secret works, their works of darkness, and their wickedness and abominations.
And now, my son, these interpreters were prepared that the word of God might be fulfilled, which he spake, saying:
I will bring forth out of darkness unto light all their secret works and their abominations; and except they repent I will destroy them from off the face of the earth; and I will bring to light all their secrets and abominations, unto every nation that shall hereafter possess the land. (Alma 37:23-25)

One of the best examples of very high level intelligence is the account of how the Prophet Joseph Smith managed to keep the golden plates despite repeated attacks from the adversary. Both sides used advanced intelligence techniques to discover the others plan. A woman was employed by the Prophet's enemies to look into a stone to discover where the Prophet had hidden the plates. She had the mob tear up the floor of the cooper's shop where the prophet had had the plates hidden in a box, but all they found was the empty box. The Prophet had moved the plates to the hayloft just before their arrival. The Prophet's counter-intelligence revelation was greater than his adversary's.

The wonderful conclusion is something the Lord told us to "Remember, remember":

The works, and the designs, and the purposes of God cannot be frustrated, neither can they come to naught.
For God doth not walk in crooked paths, neither doth he turn to the right hand nor to the left, neither doth he vary from that which he hath said, therefore his paths are straight, and his course is one eternal round.
Remember, remember that it is not the work of God that is frustrated, but the work of men; (D&C 3:1-3)
Truly we would do well never to forget that wonderful truth. That knowledge alone could be the basis of letting all of the Lord's followers feel totally secure in the knowledge that the Lord's work will succeed.

Another excellent example of super-early warning intelligence is the fact that the Lord had Nephi engrave a second set of plates, repeating much of the same story that was in the larger plates. Recognizing the Adversary. Note that "intelligence" encompasses using every means we can to determine what the adversary is planning. Thus, in our own intelligence system, we should learn what we can about a variety of problems which could occur so that we are prepared. We could study the methods of evil in the political arena, so that we can recognize Satan's standard techniques to overthrow freedom. We could recognize how he induces people to gamble or get into debt with his promises of "something for nothing." Of course, we should spend much more time studying the scriptures and how the Lord does things, but some basic awareness of Satan's methods could go a long way in avoiding his traps. Perhaps another way of making this point is to note that even after the Lord told Moroni through a prophet about what the Lamanites were doing, he still sent out spies to gather all the intelligence they could about the enemy.
Our personal warning system. The Lord has also given mankind, and to many animals, a "sixth sense" with which they can be forewarned of danger or impending attacks. In the case of mankind, everyone is born into the world with the light of Christ (John 1:9), which can reveal truth, which includes the knowledge of things to come (D&C 93:24). Moreover, confirmed members of his Church are allowed to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, which can be even more specific in giving needed foreknowledge.
It might also be instructive to learn from nature in this matter of intelligence. Given that many animals seem to have the gift of knowing when they are being hunted or are in danger, the question arises how they can ever be caught. Tom Brown, a well known naturalist who has spent countless hours watching animals in the wild, observed that most healthy animals which became victims were usually killed while being distracted by one of three things: food (often they were busy eating), focusing on the opposite sex, or protecting their territory. That sure sounds reminiscent of the same distractions which people suffer, and which also can result in loss of life Follow the Prophet The Lord uses the same system by telling his prophets what is coming, and instructing them to warn all who will listen how to prepare So there are many principles we can learn both from the Lord's creatures and from his Priesthood order, as well as from computer science, about how to improve the security in our homes and in our nation. The first great lesson is to learn from intelligence, especially from the prophet, just what the plans of the adversary are. Then we can build various sorts of protective shields, and finally, keep our homes in order so that we are prepared for what is to come.

By building on the example which the Lord has shown us, we can build our own fortress of righteousness and withstand all the fiery darts of the adversary. We can become like the City of Enoch which was a bastion of strength in the midst of a vast society which was heading toward being destroyed in the Great Deluge. Indeed we can build a New Jerusalem, of which it will be said:

And it shall be called the New Jerusalem, a land of peace, a city of refuge, a place of safety for the saints of the Most High God;
And the glory of the Lord shall be there, and the terror of the Lord also shall be there, insomuch that the wicked will not come unto it, and it shall be called Zion. . . .
And it shall be said among the wicked: Let us not go up to battle against Zion, for the inhabitants of Zion are terrible; wherefore we cannot stand. (D&C 45:66-67, 70) http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/lds ... urity.html

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Re: How to be Safe: The Lords Security Methods

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

BrentL wrote:I disagree 100%. the entire premise of this is telestial security. Seek Celestial security then who cares? Abinidi had all the security he needed and he was murdered and was SENT to be murdered.

Alma was "forwarned" then ended up coming into bondage under the same priests he fled from, before finally having his election made sure.

again, the premise of most prepardeness thinking is rooted in safety in this world. stop thinking this way, make yourself not of this world.

There once was a man who lived in a cabin in a major flood plain. He knew that there was a major storm headed his direction. He saw others pack up and leave, but he thought to himself "I'm not leaving! The Lord will protect me!" Then the rain came pouring down and the water started to rise. He thought to himself, "I will be ok, the Lord will protect me!" Now the water was up to his roof. As he sat on his roof a rescue boat came by and asked him to get aboard. His reply was: "No thanks! The Lord will save me!" Later that day a rescue helicopter came and offered to help him. His reply was the same: "I don't need you! The Lord will protect me!" The man eventually drowned. As he stood before the Lord, he cried out and said "Why didn't you help me, Lord?!" Christ replied and told him, "I sent you warnings beforehand that you may prepare yourself to escape destruction, I sent you a man in a boat that he may preserve your life, I also sent you a pilot in a helicopter so that you may live."

Unless you have your calling and election sure and have been commanded by the Lord to sacrifice your life and march headfirst into danger, preparedness is key. Many of us still have an earthly work to do!

Do you have food storage? If you do... why?

Because we wish to continue living, doesn't mean we are telestial. God's kingdom on earth still must be built. Let's strive to build it up, not to give up.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

InfoWarrior82 wrote:
BrentL wrote:I disagree 100%. the entire premise of this is telestial security. Seek Celestial security then who cares? Abinidi had all the security he needed and he was murdered and was SENT to be murdered.

Alma was "forwarned" then ended up coming into bondage under the same priests he fled from, before finally having his election made sure.

again, the premise of most prepardeness thinking is rooted in safety in this world. stop thinking this way, make yourself not of this world.

There once was a man who lived in a cabin in a major flood plain. He knew that there was a major storm headed his direction. He saw others pack up and leave, but he thought to himself "I'm not leaving! The Lord will protect me!" Then the rain came pouring down and the water started to rise. He thought to himself, "I will be ok, the Lord will protect me!" Now the water was up to his roof. As he sat on his roof a rescue boat came by and asked him to get aboard. His reply was: "No thanks! The Lord will save me!" Later that day a rescue helicopter came and offered to help him. His reply was the same: "I don't need you! The Lord will protect me!" The man eventually drowned. As he stood before the Lord, he cried out and said "Why didn't you help me, Lord?!" Christ replied and told him, "I sent you warnings beforehand that you may prepare yourself to escape destruction, I sent you a man in a boat that he may preserve your life, I also sent you a pilot in a helicopter so that you may live."

Unless you have your calling and election sure and have been commanded by the Lord to sacrifice your life and march headfirst into danger, preparedness is key. Many of us still have an earthly work to do!

Because we wish to continue living, doesn't mean we are telestial. God's kingdom on earth still must be built. Let's strive to build it up, not to give up.
I have food storge because...it is a commandment. Any other reasons (i.e. physical preparedness) is secondary.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

I am not sure why you are taking offense to this post. Something about "crap"? What set off your trigger?

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

BrentL wrote:
InfoWarrior82 wrote:

not sure how to reply to this. it is obvious you paid no attention to what was said here. your assumptions are asinine. I have plenty of food storage, do you think I have not thought why? do you really think I am saying "march headfirst into danger? do you really think I am saying no one wants to continue living? do you really think it says anywhere in there to give up? do you think that if you have your election made sure that there is no more work to do? do you really think that Gods Kingdom will be built by earthly preparedness?

that you would post this story here is a false application of it. it is meant to teach the principle that the lord will not do for us what we can do for ourselves. the title of this thread indicates SECURITY. I stated that I believe that if you are looking for security in this world, you are missing the mark. there is only security in the arms of the atonement. it dosn't even closely imply that nothing else matters. it does not make my post white and everything else black. The OP only shows how there is earthly security in following the Lord. that is utter crap. Joseph smith both lost his own children to death and saved others children. it caused Emma great distress. where is the earthly security? Joseph spent time in jail, beaten by mobs, and eventually went like a lamb to the slaughter, none of this is mentioned in the same article that points out how Joseph also knew to move the plates. where is the earthly security? the entire article would make a person think that there is some silly form of earthly security in following the Lord. BULL. what then happens to your testimony when you cry to the Lord that you did everything He asked yet you are in jail, or have no food, or are driven from your home and your wife is ravaged and your children die on the plains from exposure?

this is where SECURITY is:

And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

if you would know the Son of Man, you will have to go through this, but it shall be for thy good.

can you see what I am trying to say now?

It was just apparent to me that when reading your post-- it seemed that you were saying that once you have repented of your sins and have taken all of what the Atonement has to offer-- that preparing yourself for troubled times and gaining earthly wisdom is really not necessary.

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

Great points, BrentL. If our testimonies are hinged on earthly security only, we will be disappointed. It is "inevitable" I think is the word my SP used yesterday.

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

NoGreaterLove wrote: I am not sure why you are taking offense to this post. Something about "crap"? What set off your trigger?
Some people are offended by crap. We should say "dung" from now on.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

The OP is saying that for personal safety, the best thing you can do is put your trust in the Lord. I am wondering what there is in that to disagree 100% with?

I also catch a note of "disregard being concerned about physical preps, focus on spiritual preps" I will concur to the extent of prepare in both aspects, but since we have been commanded and counselled to make physical preps, I would say failing to do so, or implying that doing so is unnecessary, would cause a lessening of the spirit, not an increase.

All commandments have a spiritual aspect, even the "temporal" ones.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Original_Intent wrote:All commandments have a spiritual aspect, even the "temporal" ones.
BINGO!!

dennis
captain of 1,000

Post by dennis »

Protecting Our Families with
the Lord's Security Methods This is the correct title of the article. I didnt think it would fit on the title line so in my ignorance , I shortened it. I am sorry for the confussion. What I was thinking is that today we are trading freedom for government security. Which is false security. People seem to want security at any price. I thought John pratts article would show other ways to feel secure other than by what is being offered by way of the gov. One should read the whole article. I just posted a small part. Actually The title is in the first line of the post. Spiritual and temperal prep are both necessary , Honestly I dont see the need to argue about it. One of the most important points: The Lord thought it was important enough that he exposes works of darkness and secret works. And further I will bring to light all their secrets and abominations, unto every nation that shall hereafter possess the land. (Alma 37: It could be that the internet is our way or receiving warnings about secret combinations so as to not fall into the trap.

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

I think BrentL is trying to point out something. If I'm way off, please disregard.

The closing prayer at Church asks that "we'll all drive home in safety."
Sis. J gets in an accident and gets killed on the way home.
Where's the safety?

Obviously Sis. J did not have any faith or was unworthy in some way. Because the righteous are given safety in this world.

It's a different perspective. If you count on safety in this world as payment for your righteousness you might find yourself disappointed at some point.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Raindrop wrote:I think BrentL is trying to point out something. If I'm way off, please disregard.

Where's the safety?

Obviously Sis. J did not have any faith or was unworthy in some way. Because the righteous are given safety in this world.

It's a different perspective. If you count on safety in this world as payment for your righteousness you might find yourself disappointed at some point.

There are things in our control and there are things out of our control. Ultimately it's up to Heavenly Father's timetable, but to go on living our lives and doing nothing to protect ourselves (temporally and spiritually) we are not living up to His wishes of us. To expand upon the example you gave, say Sis. J failed to fasten her safety belt and died needlessly, we see that it was something within her abilities to afford her the necessary protection.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

BrentL wrote:
InfoWarrior82 wrote:
Raindrop wrote:I think BrentL is trying to point out something. If I'm way off, please disregard.

Where's the safety?

correct.

There are things in our control and there are things out of our control. Ultimately it's up to Heavenly Father's timetable, but to go on living our lives and doing nothing to protect ourselves (temporally and spiritually) we are not living up to His wishes of us. To expand upon the example you gave, say Sis. J failed to fasten her safety belt and died needlessly, we see that it was something within her abilities to afford her the necessary protection.

who in the world is saying don't fasten your seat belt? who is saying to "do nothing to protect ourselves (temporally and spiritually)?
to expand on the examples given, this article implies that if you put on your seat-belt you will never get hurt.
InfoWarrior82 wrote: There are things in our control and there are things out of our control. Ultimately it's up to Heavenly Father's timetable....

give_me_liberty
captain of 50

Post by give_me_liberty »

The point BrentL is trying to make here (please correct me if I am wrong) is that temporal safety is NOT 100% guaranteed by living the gospel, bust spiritual safety is. This has been proven repeatedly by the history of the church, both in latter days and before. Some examples have already been given.

Of course temporal preparedness is extremely important also - it is important both temporally AND spiritually - but even that won't completely GUARANTEE temporal safely (although it helps and may give you a better chance). We can't lose faith if we have been prepared (in both aspects) and things still don't work out temporally. On the other hand, we WILL be accountable if we are not temporally prepared.

I would disagree here though...
BrentL wrote:if you will follow Christ, if you take His name upon you, you actually increase the chance you will be eaten by lions, not decrease it.
Look at Babylon and Assyria. Look at Ammonihah and the Jaredites. When the Nephites were wicked, there were wars, famines, and death. When they were righteous, there was peace and prosperity. After the saints were forced west, look at the suffering and death that occured in the civil war. The list goes on and on. We have been warned of what will come preceding the Second Coming, and if we are prepared, we have a good chance of surviving temporally (and a 100% chance spiritually). The wicked have no such promise.