Are we doing harm or good?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Are we doing harm or good?

Post by lundbaek »

In the course of my activity in the political arena it has become increasingly obvious to me that very few Latter-day Saints are cognizant of their special responsibility to the Constitution of the United States, its principles which support the fundamental or unalienable rights for all persons, and its preservation. It is a part of the doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, that the Lord Himself established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom He raised up unto this very purpose, and this Constitution should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles.

It was stated decades ago now, in a letter signed by President Grant, that "Unless the people of America forsake the sins and the errors, political and otherwise, of which they are now guilty and return to the practice of the great fundamental principles of Christianity, and of Constitutional government, there will be no exaltation for them spiritually, and politically we shall lose our liberty and free institutions." It appears, then, that unless we members of the Church do all we can to preserve the freedoms we have, within the bounds of the laws of God, we will be held accountable.

Have you ever wondered why members are now so seldom reminded by Church leaders of this responsibility, as compared with the frequency of such reminders, especially in Church general conferences, years ago? Or since those scriptures and prophets that in past addressed this responsibility, were and still are generally ignored, might it be the opinion of the First Presidency of the Church that more harm than good would result from taking any actions now to try to preserve the freedoms we still have and restore those we have already lost?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Are we doing harm or good?

Post by Original_Intent »

When in the face of all the evidence you have the vast majority of LDS lining up to support Mitt "I never met an abortion I didn't like until we crossed the line by experimenting on stem cells, and the fact that this change of heart happened at about the time that I wanted to quit being Governor of liberal Mass-chewsits and wanted to be presidential candidate of relatively conservative GOP is all a coincidence" Romney due solely on that he is a successful businessman and that is what the country needs right now, and oh! yes he also HAPPENS to be LDS - and I wouldn't be surprised if a good number of GAs fall into this same category - what can be said?

Save yourself the repentance sermon, Bob.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Could be, but if the Spirit doesn't directly forbid it, we are expected to do our part. Keep on spreading the word unless you are directed to stop. Ignorance is bliss. People don't like the disturbance. In the four or five years I've participated here it seems that people are on a cycle. Those who are willing to look at the hard facts usually go through a deer in the headlights panic for a year or two, and then they find peace once they feel more prepared and find their niche to help the cause along. So yeah, ignorance is bliss, but peace is happiness. Don't deny people the opportunity unless you are directed to stop.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

ChelC wrote:Could be, but if the Spirit doesn't directly forbid it, we are expected to do our part. Keep on spreading the word unless you are directed to stop. Ignorance is bliss. People don't like the disturbance. In the four or five years I've participated here it seems that people are on a cycle. Those who are willing to look at the hard facts usually go through a deer in the headlights panic for a year or two, and then they find peace once they feel more prepared and find their niche to help the cause along. So yeah, ignorance is bliss, but peace is happiness. Don't deny people the opportunity unless you are directed to stop.
That's one of the most profound things I've read on here. I do believe you're right. I'll be quoting your ignorance is bliss but peace is happiness, if you don't mind.

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

Ether 8

fps.sledge
captain of 100

Post by fps.sledge »

It honestly reminds me of missionary work. On the mission, I consecrated my time and efforts to helping others. I was one - like so many others - who was ambitious to help people. Not evening necessarily teach, but to just help and serve others. It's pretty damaging to the spirit when people reject you so many times. Especially when you KNOW God is watching over you and supporting you along the way. Sometimes you expect more from God.

Satisfaction and depression does happen in cycles while doing what is worthy.

The reality that we all have to often accept is just a tolerance of others actions. We cannot force anyone. People need to learn for themselves. I get angry and amitious, sometimes angry and passive, sometimes ambitious and optimistic. Of course cycles will happen. Ultimately, keep doing when you do. Your example will always make the biggest difference.

Koiape
captain of 50

Post by Koiape »

Original_Intent wrote:When in the face of all the evidence you have the vast majority of LDS lining up to support Mitt "I never met an abortion I didn't like until we crossed the line by experimenting on stem cells, and the fact that this change of heart happened at about the time that I wanted to quit being Governor of liberal Mass-chewsits and wanted to be presidential candidate of relatively conservative GOP is all a coincidence" Romney due solely on that he is a successful businessman and that is what the country needs right now, and oh! yes he also HAPPENS to be LDS - and I wouldn't be surprised if a good number of GAs fall into this same category - what can be said?

Save yourself the repentance sermon, Bob.
Mitt Romney -- would probably end up being worse than George W. Bush...no, that's not possible, is it?