Pure virtue the foundation of a free constitution

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
dennis
captain of 1,000

Pure virtue the foundation of a free constitution

Post by dennis »

President John Adams said, "The only foundation of a free constitution, is Pure Virtue, and if this cannot be inspired into our people, in a greater measure than they have it now, they may change their rulers, and the forms of Government, but they will not obtain a lasting LIBERTY. They will only exchange tyrants and Tyrannies." end quote. That thought I think is certainly inspired. It is the answer to our problems . what we need is Pure Virtue. What is pure virtue? Virtue in our day has come to mean chastity especially in reference to women. But the meaning is deaper. Old French "virtu" from latin "virtus" meaning manliness, courage, virtue, from "vir" meaning MAN!. The romans derived the word virtus to denote the SUM of the excellent qualities of men, including physical strength, valorous conduct, and moral rectitude. I believe Adams is right on track with this principle. Pure Virtue is a characteristic which we need in order to secure lasting liberty, and is the only foundation of a free constitution and government. Until the electorate is virtuous we will only exchange tyrants and tyrannies.

dennis
captain of 1,000

Re: Pure virtue the foundation of a free constitution

Post by dennis »

I am preparing for a priesthood lesson on Virtue. It is interesting to me that originally in Latin the word "Vir" meant Man. and virtus meant the sum of the excellent qualities of men. Sister Dalton gave a talk which included the thought that Men should be the Guardians of Virtue , not the consumers of lust. Sec 38 is loaded with good scriptures. one of Which is Practice virtue and holiness before me. Also in the Adamic language the name of Diety is Ahman. Meaning Man of Holiness. Purity, Virtue, Holiness Three GREAT Concepts, that are interrelated, and that acording to Pres John Adams will give us Lasting Liberty. Three things to put on my "to Do List."