We who dared say no to war - Thomas Woods Jr.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

We who dared say no to war - Thomas Woods Jr.

Post by Original_Intent »

I am sure that this will make some pro-war forum members heads explode, and I can just see the ad hominem directed towards myself, the interviewer, and the interviewee - but sometimes the truth has to be told regardless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8DnPUi3IWU

I think Thomas Woods and I had our wake up call around the same time based on this interview. For those of you that are going to hate it, I challenge you to watch thru to the end before you comment.

Mosby
captain of 1,000
Location: Mosby's Confederacy in the deep South of the People's Republic of Utah

Re: We who dared say no to war - Thomas Woods Jr.

Post by Mosby »

O.I - I demand your "Great American" card this instant!!!!!

Sincerly,

Sean

Great Book- Great author...........somewhere I remember hearing something about "proclaiming peace and renouncing war"..........can't seem to recall were........ :wink:

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

My BofM reading this morning just happened to be in Mosiah chapters 10-15 and Abinidai is being grilled by King Noah's priests about "What does it mean where it says 'How beautiful upon the mountains shall be the feet of them that proclaim peace?"

Makes me very ashamed of my pro-war position of the past. I guess part of my penance is to put up with being called anti-American, a wimp, a coward, etc.

fps.sledge
captain of 100

Post by fps.sledge »

I hadn't exactly thought of our culture like that today. Where he describes it as if war is just an appropriate, natural thing. When hundreds or thousands die in some explosion or anything alike, "it's just war."

Americans, myself included, are so offended by attacks like on sep11, we are so motivated to seek vengence anywhere. This lack of patience is a result of pride.

A story in Alma 47 is brought to mind.

Amalickiah and his hooligans killed the King, the servants of that King fled, because they were "frightened". Amalickiah allowed the people to see the murder of their king. Amalickiah, cunning and evil as he is, "pretended to be wroth" and said "Whoseever loved the King let him go forth and pursue his servants that they may be slain. (v. 27)" Of course the people were shocked by such an event. The people were quick to anger. They pursued those servants to kill them.

If the people were motivated by a true event, perhaps they would have been justified. As verse 30 reads, their intentions and actions were "in vain; and thus Amalickiah, by his fraud, gained the hearts of the people." Later these people became "hardened, impenitent, wild, wicked, ferocious, etc."

When we seek justification for war, which is just killing others in a large or organized fashion, perhaps we begin to wander from the straight and narrow. Perhaps we start falling in that pit, or get caught in satans snares. We must not let those negative emotion control us when those horrible events happen. We must have some kind of willingness to forgive those that thought they were doing the right thing. I only hope others will have that willingness with Americans.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

What does it mean where it says 'How beautiful upon the mountains shall be the feet of them that proclaim peace?"
I believe it is those who are spreading the Gospel whether it be HT, VT or every mem a missionary.

p51-mustang
captain of 1,000

Post by p51-mustang »

Thomas mentioned how silly it is when people say that we are in iraq "defending freedom". I hear this all the time in prayers in church and at the temple. This sentiment just makes me want to scream! How utterly stupid an idea yet people espouse it. A brother in my ward who is a chaplain in the army said this very same thing in the closing prayer. He prayed and asked for a belssing on the troops that are defending our freedom. Arggghhhh!!!! Dont insult my intelligence.

I sent him an email and asked him how it is possible for our govt to be working so hard to steal our liberty at home can be working overseas via war defending our freedom? This is like saying that good fruit can come from an evil tree.

Great video by the way. People either dont care or they dont think about this topic much. Its something that is going to come back and bite us eventually.

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

Great interview. Posted it in the gun forum I frequent. Thanks.