Constitution Day Sept 17

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
pritchet1
captain of 1,000

Constitution Day Sept 17

Post by pritchet1 »

What will you be doing on Constitution Day?

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/27371

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Constitution Day Sept 17

Post by lundbaek »

Yesterday in church I had the best opportunity I could hope for to promote awareness of our Constitution, and I grabbed it. Included in the announcements was that of Constitution Day activities in our neighborng town of Gilbert, AZ. So as the first speaker in our testimony meeting I expressed my appreciation for the announcement, stated that I had participated in them in past years, and recommended participation in them. I then ended with "If I can testify of anything in this regard it is that the Lord Jesus Christ inspired the writing of the Constitution of the United States by the hands of wise men whom He raised up unto that very purpose. I also testify that, as President Packer said about a year ago, we have a duty to honour freedom and to honour the US Constitution."

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Constitution Day Sept 17

Post by lundbaek »

This past Sunday, 19 Sept, in Sacrament Mtg. in the other ward that meets in our building, a member of that bishopric, as companion speaker to the High Counselor, talked about both Faith and Obedience. The last third of his talk or maybe even a little more discussed the experiences of Dr. W. Cleon Skousen in 1965 and 1967 with Pres. McKay when Skousen was asked by the Prophet to do what led to the establishment of the Freeman Institute and how it became the National Center for Constitutional Studies. He talked about how it took Faith for Cleon Skousen to do what he did in writing the books on the Constitution and making information available to people initially at his own expense in a building near BYU, and that President McKay had told him that neither the church nor BYU would or could get involved with it. He finished with some quotes about the constitution as well. The speaker, BTW, travels often doing presentations for the NCCS.