Pro-gun scriptures

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
English Saint
captain of 100

Pro-gun scriptures

Post by English Saint »

Does anyone know of any pro-gun (pro-sword) scriptures?

English Saint
captain of 100

Re: Pro-gun scriptures

Post by English Saint »

Wow, I didn't know this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6294242.stm

BROWNING FABRIQUE NATIONAL
The name of Browning has long been synonymous with firearms.

The Browning family were of stout Utah Mormon stock and supplied frontiersmen all across what was then the Wild West.

Geeswell
captain of 100

Post by Geeswell »

yar! I had an institute class called modern mormon saints or something like that. he was covered on one of the days. there are videos about his life out there.

usaf916
captain of 100

Post by usaf916 »

I remember way back in school I did a report on him. They also have his shop all set up still in Nauvoo.

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

The one that comes to mind is Captain Moroni urging the people to fight for liberty - but remember (and this is the crux guns rights) that it's all about liberty to defend yourselves, property, and family. You'll see strains of that throughout the BoM. It doesn't surprise me that many Mormon confuse the Book of Mormon with glorification of war, and wrongly use wars in the Book of Mormon to justify our wars with Iraq and Afghanistan and drone strikes throughout the Middle East. The common thread on weapons and war throughout the the BoM is that war is hell: it causes destruction and misery, and the only justification for it is self-defense. They didn't send Alma and the sons of Mosiah into the evil dictatorships among the Lamanites to assassinate their Kings, but to spread the Gospel. A great article on the theme of war in the BoM was posted on LRC a few years ago. This is somewhat related to your original question.