Time for a new Declaration of Independence?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Time for a new Declaration of Independence?

Post by BroJones »

Recently as I reflected on conditions in the United States, I've wondered if it is time for a NEW Declaration of Independence.

Our Founding Fathers set the example of how to handle an oppressive government which burdened the people with oppressive taxes, imposed taxes without due representation, etc.

Today we have an repressive central government also... e.g., the enormous Federal debt on the rising generations representing taxation without representation, refusing to apply the laws of immigration and further chastising the state of Arizona for attempting to apply those laws, imposing cruel and unusual punishments (torture) as boasted of by Dick Cheney; executing pre-emptive wars contrary to the US Constitution...
"The Book of Mormon… in its descriptions of the problems of today’s society, it is as current as the morning newspaper and much more definitive, inspired, and inspiring concerning the solutions of those problems….The people succumbed to the wiles of ambitious and scheming leaders who oppressed them with burdensome taxes, who lulled them with hollow promises… [who are these? Al Qaeda?] These evil schemers led the people into terrible wars that resulted in the death of millions and the final and total extinction of two great civilizations…." Pres. Hinckley, Ensign, Aug 2005
Shall we not follow the example of Washington, Franklin and Jefferson? They sought nothing less than an independent nation under God. This may mean secession by a state or group of states, or a native American sovereign nation.

Please comment on how this might look today,... First, the Declaration of Independence of our fathers:
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.
He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.
He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.
He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.
He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.
He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.
He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.
He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.
He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.
He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:
For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:
For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:
For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:
For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:
For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences
For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:
For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:
For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.
He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.
He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.
He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.
He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.
He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our Brittish brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Time for a new Declaration of Independence?

Post by BroJones »

IMO Arizona has a good case for leaving the US -- since the central gov't allowed ILLEGAL immigration, a flooding of their state. Then when AZ itself tried to enforce those laws, they were slammed by the central gov't.

AZ may wish to pass a State Constitutional amendment, that should the central gov't declare martial law (or suspension of civil rights/ US Constitution) OR formation of a North American Union (again, suspension of the US Constitution), they have severed AZ-central gov't ties by that act.

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

Throwing off government might be easier with some degree of isolation... maybe an ocean or something. I just don't see how a small seceeding group could defend against the US without some massive geographical advantage.

How do you picture this playing out? (Hypothetically...)

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

deleted
Last edited by Darren on August 11th, 2010, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I don't know how this would play out, raindrop... but hypothetically, as you say, consider whether an native=American sovereign nation could declare independence in such a way as to be recognized by other countries. State secession has been tried before and failed -- but a native-american nation might be able to obtain recognition as an aboriginal group and succeed.

If a native-American nation should arise and allow legal immigration only (which THEY would define), and seek recognition by other countries, with their own currency and so on, I think it might work. They could form alliances with other independent sovereign nations...

At that point, an "attack" as you say by the US central gov't might well be viewed as wholly unwarranted by the international community.

Remember the prophecies in 3 Nephi 16 and elsewhere about a remnant of the Lehites arising...

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

Yes, I've wondered how the remnant would come to "arise" as you say. Interesting thoughts...

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

The Native American idea is one I have been working on for a while, although I would prefer that the European Decedents get their act together.

I know a Chieftainess of the Katoi in Alaska, her name is Faith Braswell and we became good friends. She has been doing a land rights swap with land in the lower 48 with land owned by the natives of Alaska. Natives of Alaska own millions of acres of Suzerain land.

She told me that what her tribe does - any land or business property that the Native Americans want to own as Suzerain anywhere else in the United States, they trade the land rights from their land for the land rights of the land they want converted. http://www.timesreview.com/_st_html/st0 ... /news1.htm

I was working with her to have a college campus in Portland Oregon converted to Suzerain land, mainly to avoid the I-9 regulations of the Federal Government for bringing in foreign students. Their tribe issues their own visas.

She told me that when I moved to Missouri and purchased my land that she would do the land rights swap and I could have my land as Suzerain land. I am part Native American, and that is how it would be possible.

She has a plan, although the implications for this could spell something negative for the Gentiles that they live among. Perhaps us LDS, with some of us being part Native American, constitution loving people, could work together on Suzerain land under a new declaration of independence.

God Bless,
Darren

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Darren wrote:Dr. Jones,

The Native American idea is one I have been working on for a while, although I would prefer that the European Decedents get their act together.

I know a Chieftainess of the Katoi in Alaska, her name is Faith Braswell and we became good friends. She has been doing a land rights swap with land in the lower 48 with land owned by the natives of Alaska. Natives of Alaska own millions of acres of Suzerain land.

She told me that what her tribe does - any land or business property that the Native Americans want to own as Suzerain anywhere else in the United States, they trade the land rights from their land for the land rights of the land they want converted. http://www.timesreview.com/_st_html/st0 ... /news1.htm

I was working with her to have a college campus in Portland Oregon converted to Suzerain land, mainly to avoid the I-9 regulations of the Federal Government for bringing in foreign students. Their tribe issues their own visas.

She told me that when I moved to Missouri and purchased my land that she would do the land rights swap and I could have my land as Suzerain land. I am part Native American, and that is how it would be possible.

She has a plan, although the implications for this could spell something negative for the Gentiles that they live among. Perhaps us LDS, with some of us being part Native American, constitution loving people, could work together on Suzerain land under a new declaration of independence.

God Bless,
Darren
I was hoping you would join the discussion, Darren -- thanks for your insights and efforts. I would like to see this further explored -- "Perhaps us LDS, with some of us being part Native American, constitution loving people, could work together on Suzerain land under a new declaration of independence. "

Right! My wife is part Native American also... I wish I were, but Lezlee and all my children are part Native American.

The idea of a "Land swap" for land in the lower 48 area makes sense... but the main question I think is --

How to obtain Recognition of the Native American sovereign nation by other countries?

Also --Could the various recognized tribal reservations be "joined" and declared "independent" under a Declaration of Independence, citing mistreatment by the Feds for decades -- even centuries now?
Would they allow part-native-American families to join them in their independent republic? If so, they could prosper and GROW very quickly.

PS -- Lezlee and I will be in NW Missouri tonight and tomorrow... any chance we might see you, if briefly? Steve

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

How to obtain Recognition of the Native American sovereign nation by other countries?
The Katoi have already obtained this recognition, Faith uses her Katoi issued passport all around the world, and it is accepted.

The Katoi have inducted many other tribe Native Americans and non-Native Americans into their tribe. For purposes of working together with the Natives.

I am available today and tomorrow.
Last edited by Darren on August 11th, 2010, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Darren wrote:
The Katoi have already obtained this recognition, Faith uses her Katoi issued passport all around the world, and it is accepted.

The Katoi have inducted many other tribe Native Americans and non-Native Americans into their tribe. For purposes of working together with the Natives.

I am available today and tomorrow, call me on my cell phone 660-541-2430.
Exciting! gotta run, on the road.. will call you later.

fps.sledge
captain of 100

Post by fps.sledge »

One thing to consider is nullification. It is a declaration of independence is a certain sense. A state can choose to act apart from the U.S.

There are other ways to solve illegal immigration that to merely enforce it better. We can eliminate the nonsense behind becoming "legal". We can also eliminate the minimum wage. This would eliminate the incentive to come to the United States to work.

Perhaps if a state were to choose to nullify minimum wage laws by declaring themselves independent from the federal laws, would this then be less incentive for illegal immigrants to even work in the state? Would this create industry in that particular state? If it's cheaper to build factories in that state than to build them in China, would our nation's economy finally get out of this rut that it's it?

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

fps.sledge wrote: We can also eliminate the minimum wage.
Now you're talking!

Here's a simple map for an idea of the locations of Indian Reservations in the continental U.S. ---
http://www.thesimpleanswers.com/old/reservations.jpg

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

Essentially all Christian Churches are in the same boat as the Native Americans, oppressed by an Empire type organization that has taken away the operation of the business of the Free Enterprise System of the United States, i.e. Federal Reserve, IRS, etc. The Christian Churches (Body of Christ) are the authors of the original constitutions that organized New England and the United States.

It is time for the organization of the Christian Churches to come out, come together and rid itself of the Empire, and Empire type controls. And that may be just as easy as eliminating the use of the Federal Reserve Note, and beginning to use the work together unit of value of the Free Enterprise System of the Christian Churches. There is a historical precedent for this in the formation and continuation of the City of London, and as continued by the Puritan New Englanders.

But if we of the organization of the Christian Churches cannot figure it out, then our original constitutions will expire, as our only title to live here among the natives. And the natives of this land, who Christ gave this land to, may have no other option then to assert their title to the land, and be the lions among the lambs.

I desire to save our constitution by demonstrating to the Empire that me and mine still know how to live by that constitution. And at least avoid the cleansing for me and mine.

I guess the Native Americans are the back-up plan.

God Bless,
Darren

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Post by singyourwayhome »

fps.sledge wrote:One thing to consider is nullification. It is a declaration of independence is a certain sense. A state can choose to act apart from the U.S.

There are other ways to solve illegal immigration that to merely enforce it better. We can eliminate the nonsense behind becoming "legal". We can also eliminate the minimum wage. This would eliminate the incentive to come to the United States to work.

Perhaps if a state were to choose to nullify minimum wage laws by declaring themselves independent from the federal laws, would this then be less incentive for illegal immigrants to even work in the state? Would this create industry in that particular state? If it's cheaper to build factories in that state than to build them in China, would our nation's economy finally get out of this rut that it's it?
The only problem is that VERY few people are aware of the problem with having minimum wages. They are so focused on themselves that they don't see the big picture, nor how the Fed and the government have contorted money and wages. How many in the general population do you think were 'aware' just before the American Revolution? How many understood the cause-and-effect?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith.

Nevertheless—whosoever putteth his trust in him the same shall be lifted up at the last day. Yea, and thus it was with this people.

For behold, I will show unto you that they were brought into bondage, and none could deliver them but the Lord their God,

And it came to pass that he did deliver them, and he did show forth his mighty power unto them, and great were their rejoicings.
http://scriptures.lds.org/en/mosiah/23/ ... 17,31-32#9
And it came to pass that so great were their afflictions that they began to cry mightily to God.

And Amulon commanded them that they should stop their cries; and he put guards over them to watch them, that whosoever should be found calling upon God should be put to death.

And Alma and his people did not raise their voices to the Lord their God, but did pour out their hearts to him; and he did know the thoughts of their hearts.

And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.

And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.

And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.

And it came to pass that so great was their faith and their patience that the voice of the Lord came unto them again, saying: Be of good comfort, for on the morrow I will deliver you out of bondage.
http://scriptures.lds.org/en/mosiah/24

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

The question is, what part of this story of Alma's people are we at?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

singyourwayhome wrote:The question is, what part of this story of Alma's people are we at?
Great question! I sincerely believe we are in bondage....but no one standing over us with a whip....yet. Electronic/financial/economic whips in final phases of development or implementation.

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

No one standing over us yet? Well, how much closer do they need to be to count as 'over us'? There's a good case that they ARE standing over us, look at all the restrictions on the churches as an organization, restrictions in the classroom, anywhere you look.
But as far as a new Declaration goes... Alma's people did not need to do that, they were not expected to by the Lord. He provided the new start for them, after their trials proved they would be humble and obedient. Nowhere in scripture or prophecy do I get the idea that we should start a rebellion. The oppressors will destroy themselves. We DO need to be aware of what the battle is, what it's about, and what is at stake.
Last edited by singyourwayhome on August 12th, 2010, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

singyourwayhome wrote:No one standing over us yet? Well, how much closer do they need to be to count as 'over us'? There's a good case that they ARE standing over us, look at all the restrictions on the churches as an organization, restrictions in the classroom, anywhere you look.
But as far as a new Declaration goes... Alma's people did not need to do that, they were not expected to by the Lord. He provided the new start for them, after their trials proved they would be humble and obedient. Nowhere in scripture or prophecy do I get the idea that we should start a rebellion, that the oppressors will destroy themselves. We DO need to be aware of what the battle is, what it's about, and what is at stake.
LOL...yeah we're pretty dang close! Agreed on the outcome to....what I see is natural disasters occurring on a scale we've never before imagined which will disrupt the plans of the controllers and cause general breakdown of society as men's hearts fail them.

The only real solution I see is to stand in holy places and be patient (not moved) n' humble...

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

So how did the private mtg. go in the hinterlands of Missouri...? Any thoughts to share?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Jason wrote:
singyourwayhome wrote:No one standing over us yet? Well, how much closer do they need to be to count as 'over us'? There's a good case that they ARE standing over us, look at all the restrictions on the churches as an organization, restrictions in the classroom, anywhere you look.
But as far as a new Declaration goes... Alma's people did not need to do that, they were not expected to by the Lord. He provided the new start for them, after their trials proved they would be humble and obedient. Nowhere in scripture or prophecy do I get the idea that we should start a rebellion, that the oppressors will destroy themselves. We DO need to be aware of what the battle is, what it's about, and what is at stake.
LOL...yeah we're pretty dang close! Agreed on the outcome to....what I see is natural disasters occurring on a scale we've never before imagined which will disrupt the plans of the controllers and cause general breakdown of society as men's hearts fail them.

The only real solution I see is to stand in holy places and be patient (not moved) n' humble...
Personally, before the natural disaster phase I believe that the elite will establish complete control (or at least in their eyes they will feel they have everything completely in their power) - at that point I expect the inside battles to escalate. I believe these power struggles go on even now, but they are subdued and they more or less cooperate toward the primary goal of establishing dominance over the rest of the human race. Once that objective is achieved in their eyes, I believe they will openly turn on each other and pretty much wipe each other out. At that point I hope that we will be largely delivered and natural disasters and such will finish the job.

Of course I expect that there will be increasing natural disasters throughout also.

LittleLion
captain of 100

Post by LittleLion »

Jason wrote:I sincerely believe we are in bondage....but no one standing over us with a whip....yet. Electronic/financial/economic whips in final phases of development or implementation.
King Limhi and his people were lamenting that they had to endure giving half of all the fruits of their labor over to the Lamanites. They also had to endure being treated harshly by their task master, aka the whip as you put it. At least they had the the knowledge of knowing they were in bondage.

I submit to you we are much worse off. Most of us do not even know we are in bondage, do not even know we give over 70 percent in some cases of the fruits of our labor to our task masters. The whip? Try not paying your task masters and you will see the whip. You will see men with automatic weapons breaking your door down and if you resist your a dead man. There are so many more dehumanizing programs being foisted upon us than the Nephites had to deal with. So many.....

THE PROCESS OF REVOLUTION
Story
Freedom mostly—if not only—comes by revolution.Revolution is the change of political power from one to another. In the case of America’s founding, power transferred from Great Britain to the individual States of America. Inevitably, revolution results in the division and separation from that form or system of government causing the plight.Rarely, if ever, does freedom come by gradual progression.Just the opposite: tyranny comes by gradual progression.Of course, revolution does not have to be violent and only becomes violent when those in control of the existing government forces its will upon those who would chose to be free from its dominion.When a people attempt to be free from a system of government which they deem to be destructive to the ends and purpose of government, those who demand their allegiance and loyalty only heighten the problem and exacerbate the resentment of the people.Consequently, revolution is the result of a government which rules in a manner inconsistent with the principles of a free society, enabling the people to choose different forms of government under different constitutions.The United States of America is in such a process and has been for generations -Timothy N. Baldwin, JD./NewsWithViews

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Good point, LLion --
LittleLion wrote: THE PROCESS OF REVOLUTION
Story
Freedom mostly—if not only—comes by revolution.Revolution is the change of political power from one to another. In the case of America’s founding, power transferred from Great Britain to the individual States of America. Inevitably, revolution results in the division and separation from that form or system of government causing the plight.Rarely, if ever, does freedom come by gradual progression.Just the opposite: tyranny comes by gradual progression.Of course, revolution does not have to be violent and only becomes violent when those in control of the existing government forces its will upon those who would chose to be free from its dominion.When a people attempt to be free from a system of government which they deem to be destructive to the ends and purpose of government, those who demand their allegiance and loyalty only heighten the problem and exacerbate the resentment of the people.Consequently, revolution is the result of a government which rules in a manner inconsistent with the principles of a free society, enabling the people to choose different forms of government under different constitutions.The United States of America is in such a process and has been for generations -Timothy N. Baldwin, JD./NewsWithViews
Thanks for the quote.

I had a good, short discussion with Darren in MO -- just by phone as Lezlee and I were traveling through...

My wife is part American native, and thus, so are our children. Darren recommended that we have genetic testing done to ascertain the presence of American native genes -- I think this is a very good idea!

He also observed that the American native nation "inside" Alaska was never conquered by the US central government, they never signed a "defeat" treaty, and they are a recognized independent nation which issues their own visas! I think this is a very significant observation -- and I would like to learn more about this American native nation.

However, I'm having trouble finding out much about this native nation, "inside" Alaska -- can't find much of anything by Googling "Katoi in Alaska"...

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

An informative website -- re: natives in Alaska.
http://www.aaanativearts.com/alaskan-na ... ians.htm#K
It is important to understand the diversity of Native Alaskan tribes. The aboriginal land claims of Alaska Natives were handled differently than the mainland treaty settlements. The land and cash compensation were not awarded to tribes, clans, or families, but to eligible private corporations organized by Alaska Natives.

There are generally two types of corporations: corporations organized by village and those organized according to 12 geographic regions. All Alaska Indians are shareholders of a regional corporation, but not all belong to a village corporation. The aboriginal land claims of Alaska Natives were settled in the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act of 1971 (ANCSA).

Five Tlingit communities were excluded from the provisions of ANCSA. They are the communities of Haines, Ketchikan, Petersburg, Wrangell, and Tenakee, all located in Southeast Alaska. After ANCSA was enacted, Native residents of these `unrecognized' communities appealed to the Secretary of the Interior to be included in the land claims settlement. Administrative appeals and mechanisms were subsequently exhausted by the villages without success.
There are 229 federally recognized Alaskan villages.
Still nothing yet found on the "Katoi" or "Kitoi" natives in Alaska...

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

singyourwayhome wrote:The question is, what part of this story of Alma's people are we at?
Actually, the 8th chapter of Helaman!

Bob