Slogan/Quote for the Day

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Slogan/Quote for the Day

Post by larsenb »

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have a thread where we can post good sayings, slogans or just plain quotes, pertaining to issues of freedom.

Here's one I just heard from the mouth of Alex Jones. I think I remember it right:

The antidote for 1984 is 1776!

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Re: Slogan/Quote for the Day

Post by SmallFarm »

A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges.
Benjamin Franklin

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

A small leak can sink a great ship.
Benjamin Franklin

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Rep. Rob Bishop wrote:The world is run by people who show up.
Posted in this mornings Deseret News. He may not have made this up, but he used it. Something I think is very true.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

The government is good at one thing. It knows how to break your legs, and then hand you a crutch and say, "See if it weren't for the government, you wouldn't be able to walk."
- Harry Browne

Henmasher
captain of 1,000

Post by Henmasher »

Want what you need, not need what you want.

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Post by singyourwayhome »

A government, which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always depend on the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

What I've learned about Mr. Shaw leads me to believe that he said this to ENCOURAGE the robbing... all you have to do is get Paul excited and drown out Peter.....

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

One of my favorite:

“A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have.” - Thomas Jefferson

That is where we are at today, only you can add a criminal aspect to it. :(

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Be a smiler, not a downer....Downers are people whose mouths turn down and their eyes turn down, their whole face seems to turn down. We have to fight the law of gravity all the time because it's constantly pulling everything we have down. The way to overcome the law of gravity, and the natural tendency to be grim and down in the mouth, is to be a smiler. A smiler is beautiful, and the world needs uppers.--Lucile Johnson

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Lord Byron wrote: Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow
I.e., reading about it ain't enough. Something I have to keep telling myself.

tlove
captain of 50

Post by tlove »

Quote:

"In a world of unrest and fear, political turmoil and moral drift,
I testify that Jesus is the Christ - that He is the living Bread and
living Water - still, yet, and always the great Shield of safety in
our lives."

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
Ensign, Nov. 2004, 9

Post by Like »

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom." ~ Tom Braun

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

We are living in a time in which we shall see things both wonderful and awful. There is no way that we can be a part of the last days and have it otherwise. Even so, we are instructed by our Lord and Exemplar, Jesus Christ, to “be of good cheer.” -Neal A. Maxwell, Oct. 1982, great talk! http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideN ... 82620aRCRD

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

"No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right, who keeps on a-comin'",

Alleged motto of the Texas Rangers.

From an article titled Keep on A 'Comin by J. Speer-Williams found at http://rense.com/general92/jk.htm Very entertaining short story of what he learned about courage when finally forced to face what he thought was an invincible antagonist.

Speer says: "I eventually made the motto of the Texas Rangers my own, and invite you to do the same"

He also says:
J. Speer-Williams wrote: When that government uses its powers against its own citizens, under pretenses of public service, those citizens can either turn their heads, avowing they see nothing ­ know nothing ­ or they can and will educate themselves and others as to our true state of affairs.

Every being that wakes up and helps to educate another is a punch thrown at an enemy that will never give us any quarter, whether we fight back or not.

The decisions and actions we make and take, today, regarding our government, will determine how we lead and live the rest of our lives.

Remember, we are in the right, the basic law of our land ­ the US Constitution ­ says so

Post by Like »

"When they call you a conspiracy theorist, it means you are closer to the truth than they want you to be." ~ Craig Hulet

Post by Like »

I appeal to every Latter-day Saint to accept the divine principle of free agency and to adopt it in his life. I appeal to you to remember this principle when you are confronted by organizations and groups and movements in this country, which are now arising and assuming great power. Before you become engulfed in them, measure their practices and their purposes by the measuring rod of free agency, and you remember that God said it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another. Remember, also, what Richard Evans told you yesterday, that it is not right that we should be commanded in all things, and don't you allow yourself to be commanded in all things by any group or agency. You preserve the free agency that God has given to you, because if you don't you will suffer all the days of your life.

You remember that you are to be true to the Constitution of the United States. I appeal to you to accept as the word of God, the declaration that appears in the revelation in section one hundred one of the D&C, wherein the Lord says he did raise up men and inspired them to write the Constitution. I appeal to you, every one, to be true to the trust that God has placed in you, to preach the gospel throughout the world, as has been declared here today. But remember that you cannot preach that gospel without freedom of speech, and you cannot publish that gospel without freedom of the press, and you cannot gather together in congregations without freedom of assembly, and you cannot worship the Lord your God according to the dictates of your own conscience without freedom of religion. And remember that every time you give up any of your freedoms, whether it be to some economic or political group, or to any other group, you jeopardize these four freedoms of which I have spoken.

I appeal to you to accept as the word of God that which I have quoted to you which says that you, the elders of Israel, are justified by God in defending your constitutional privileges. I appeal to you to be true to your one hundred thousand sons who have fought for liberty, to the eight thousand of your sons who have been wounded and bled in battle. Do not betray the five thousand Latter-day Saint boys who died that freedom might live. Remember that you have a responsibility to preserve freedom in America. Remember always the glorious prayer that is written into the last stanza of "America" which was sung so beautifully this morning by the Tabernacle choir.

Our father's God! to thee,
Author of liberty,
To thee we sing;
Long may our land be bright
With freedom's holy light!
Protect us by thy might
Great God, our King.
      I pray that we may have the courage and the wisdom to accept the truth, that the truth may keep us free, and I ask it in Jesus' name. Amen.

- Elder Mark E. Petersen
 General Conference, April 1946

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

If we have to give up our chartered rights, privileges, and freedom, which our fathers fought, bled, and died for, and which the constitution of the United States and of this state guarantee unto us, we will do it only at the point of the sword and bayonet. (Discourses Delivered by Presidents Joseph Smith and Brigham Young 4; also in HC 5:468; WJS 218-19)

genesal
captain of 100

Post by genesal »

"It was by the sober sense of our citizens that we were safely and steadily conducted from monarchy to republicanism, and it is by the same agency alone we can be kept from falling back."
-- Thomas Jefferson

SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SwissMrs&Pitchfire »

"There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul."
Ella Wilcox

“Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' Bid us and our posterity bow the knee, supplicate the friendship and plough, and sow, and reap, to glut the avarice of the men who have let loose on us the dogs of war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the earth? If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!”
Samuel Adams quote

loquaciousmomma
captain of 100

Post by loquaciousmomma »

“It is the love of liberty which inspires my soul--civil and religious liberty to the whole of the human race. Love of liberty was diffused into my soul by my grandfathers, while they dandled me on their knees. One of the grand fundamental principles of `Mormonism' is to receive truth, let it come whence it may. If I esteem mankind to be in error, shall I bear them down? No. I will lift them up, and in their own way too, if I cannot persuade them my way is better; and I will not seek to compel any man to believe as I do, only by the force of reasoning, for truth will cut its own way."

Words of the Prophet Joseph Smith as told in the Diary of Helen Mar Kimball

Post by Like »

We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring and sustaining the law.

Yet some people write that we are in rebellion against the United States; that we would like to set up a republic of our own; that we are a great financial combine of people who are arranging to eventually conquer our country. Our boys who gave their lives in France; our boys who went forth in far greater number than the government had requested, according to our population; our money so freely given for Liberty and Victory bonds; our declaration to all the world, through the Prophet Joseph Smith, that the men who wrote the Constitution of this country were inspired of the living God -- all of these things give the lie to all the liars who are perpetually saying that we are opposed to this country. When the Latter-day Saints were being driven from their homes, when they were coming to these Rocky mountains in fulfilment of the prediction of Joseph Smith -- they were being expatriated; they were driven from the confines of the United States, and were coming to Mexican soil. Our country was then in trouble with Mexico, and the government called on Brigham Young for 500 men to help fight Mexico. To this call President Young replied: "You shall have your men, and if we have not enough men we will furnish you women;" and within three days the men were ready. That Mormon Battalion went to California and discovered gold. Show to me, if you can, in all the history of the world another case of a people being expatriated, being driven from their own country, from their own lands which they had purchased, being driven out from a beautiful city, the last remnant of them crossing the Mississippi river in the dead of winter, on the ice, nine babies being born during the night of that terrible expulsion, with no shelter but their mother's breasts, going forth on their journey of a thousand miles in the wilderness, after having appealed to the president of their republic, who could only say: "Your cause is just, but we can do nothing for you" -- show me another people, I say, who under like circumstances would have furnished 500 men to fight their country's battles! Show me greater patriotism and loyalty to country than this! It can't be done. Allow me to announce that from the day of Joseph Smith to this identical day, the leaders of this people have had absolute respect, love and reverence for their country. Allow me to announce further that we are patriotic Americans to the core, and that we have learned it, many of us, at our mother's knees, where we said our prayers. We believe absolutely in the inspiration of God to the men who framed our Constitution.

- President Heber J. Grant
General Conference, October 1919

genesal
captain of 100

Post by genesal »

Passing through Our Trials

"As we pass through the trials of life, let us keep an eternal perspective, let us not complain, let us become even more prayerful, let us serve others, and let us forgive one another. As we do this, 'all things [will] work together for good to [us] that love God' (Romans 8:28)."
James B. Martino, "All Things Work Together for Good," Ensign, May 2010, 103

GeeR
captain of 1,000

Post by GeeR »

"That which you persist in doing is becomes easy, not that the nature of the thing has changed but your power to do so has increased." Ralph Waldo Emerson

genesal
captain of 100

Post by genesal »

JOHN ADAMS
"We're in a war, [Insert Obrien's favorite curse word here]! We're going to have to offend somebody!"

genesal
captain of 100

Post by genesal »

Be Strong and of Good Courage

Posted: 11 Nov 2010 11:00 PM PST
"Sisters, we love you. We pray for you. Be strong and of good courage. You are truly royal spirit daughters of Almighty God. You are princesses, destined to become queens. Your own wondrous story has already begun. Your 'once upon a time' is now."

Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Your Happily Ever After," Ensign, May 2010, 127