War is just a Racket

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

War is just a Racket

Post by lundbaek »

Consider the words of U.S. Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler (1881–1940) – a Congressional Medal of Honor winner who could never be accused of being a pacifist and the author of War Is a Racket:

War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.

I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

I wouldn’t go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

It may seem odd for me, a military man, to adopt such a comparison. Truthfulness compels me to. I spent 33 years and 4 months in active service as a member of our country’s most agile military force – the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from second lieutenant to Major General. And during that period I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer for capitalism.

Butler also recognized the mental effect of military service:

Like all members of the military profession I never had an original thought until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service.

M249Gunner
captain of 100

Re: War is just a Racket

Post by M249Gunner »

Great quote. I have seen the reality of the last few lines in person. Maybe that is part of the reason the USMC is so effective.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Re: War is just a Racket

Post by dconrad000 »

I love Smedley Butler. Here is a video of someone doing a great job of re-enacting his speech, "War Is A Racket" -- and it is absolutely awesome!

Video of Speech: War is a Racket by Smedley Butler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3_EXqJ8f-0 (8:55 minutes)