The Nature of Money by Lew Rockwell

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Nature of Money by Lew Rockwell

Post by LoveIsTruth »

Jason wrote:i.e. being "coined" or marked with face value....whether metal or paper
That contradicts the definition of the term "fiat money."

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LoveIsTruth wrote:
Jason wrote:i.e. being "coined" or marked with face value....whether metal or paper
LOL...only if that is "the definition" of "fiat money"....which obviously isn't the case...
Fiat money is money that derives its value from government regulation or law. The term derives from the Latin fiat, meaning "let it be done" or "it shall be [money]", as such money is established by government decree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_money" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Definition of 'Fiat Money'
Currency that a government has declared to be legal tender
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fiatmoney.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1: a command or act of will that creates something without or as if without further effort
2: an authoritative determination : dictate <a fiat of conscience>
3: an authoritative or arbitrary order : decree <government by fiat>
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fiat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i.e. being "coined" or marked with face value....whether metal or paper

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

Jason wrote:
LoveIsTruth wrote:
LOL...only if that is "the definition" of "fiat money"....which obviously isn't the case...
Strange then that that "non-definition" ended up in a dictionary.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LoveIsTruth wrote:
Jason wrote:
LoveIsTruth wrote:That contradicts the definition of the term "fiat money."
Well your definition flies in the face of the definition of "fiat" which is by government decree....which has been around for ages....so obviously your choice has an axe to grind (political intentions)....since the Latin doesn't add up.

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

LoveIsTruth wrote:
Jason wrote:
LoveIsTruth wrote:That contradicts the definition of the term "fiat money."
Jason wrote:Well your definition flies in the face of the definition of "fiat" which is by government decree..
No it doesn't: "paper currency made legal tender by a fiat of the government, but not based on or convertible into coin. " Learn to read.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LoveIsTruth wrote:
Jason wrote:Well your definition flies in the face of the definition of "fiat" which is by government decree..
No it doesn't: "paper currency made legal tender by a fiat of the government, but not based on or convertible into coin. " Learn to read.
I love how you insult...then when called on what you were saying...scramble all over yourself and get upset about the LOLs....

Read what you wrote....they added "not based on or convertible into coin"....which you don't find anywhere else....and is a self imposed constraint on the use of fiat....that hasn't existed in historical definitions for centuries - i.e. political intent.

SempiternalHarbinger
captain of 1,000

Post by SempiternalHarbinger »

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

LoveIsTruth wrote:
Jason wrote: I love how you insult...then when called on what you were saying...scramble all over yourself and get upset about the LOLs....

Read what you wrote....they added "not based on or convertible into coin"....which you don't find anywhere else....and is a self imposed constraint on the use of fiat....that hasn't existed in historical definitions for centuries - i.e. political intent.
Really? So Merriam Webster Dictionary has a political bias too (in addition to the first dictionary definition I cited)?

Definition of FIAT MONEY

: money (as paper currency) not convertible into coin or specie of equivalent value

Merriam Webster Dictionary
fiat money

noun
paper currency made legal tender by a fiat of the government, but not based on or convertible into coin.

Dictionary.com

Now we have two reputable dictionaries in a vast conspiracy to pervert the true meaning of the term "fiat money!" You should alert CNN about it! Or just admit that you were wrong.

Cheers!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LoveIsTruth wrote:Really? So Merriam Webster Dictionary has a political bias too (in addition to the first dictionary definition I cited)?

Definition of FIAT MONEY

: money (as paper currency) not convertible into coin or specie of equivalent value

fiat money

noun
paper currency made legal tender by a fiat of the government, but not based on or convertible into coin.

Dictionary.com

Now we have two reputable dictionaries in a vast conspiracy to pervert the true meaning of the term "fiat money!" You should alert CNN about it! Or just admit that you were wrong.

Cheers!
Nice job....my apologies!!! Appears we have 3 separate definitions of the term fiat money (sounds like anarchy)....appears I need to get less ignorant on it....thank you for the education!

The term fiat money has been defined variously as:

1) any money declared by a government to be legal tender
2) state-issued money which is neither convertible by law to any other thing, nor fixed in value in terms of any objective standard
3) money without intrinsic value.

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

No problem, "Jason." I love you anyway! :)

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

Jason wrote:
LoveIsTruth wrote:Really? So Merriam Webster Dictionary has a political bias too (in addition to the first dictionary definition I cited)?

Definition of FIAT MONEY

fiat money

noun

Dictionary.com

Cheers!
Nice job....my apologies!!! Appears we have 3 separate definitions of the term fiat money (sounds like anarchy)....appears I need to get less ignorant on it....thank you for the education!

The term fiat money has been defined variously as:

1) any money declared by a government to be legal tender
2) state-issued money which is neither convertible by law to any other thing, nor fixed in value in terms of any objective standard
3) money without intrinsic value.
Jason, I think your apology is misplaced. loveistruth, do you think the founders had access to dictionary.com as a definition of "coin"? Jason is right on thinking coin does not mean "gold and silver", and we know every time Ron Paul opens his mouth and says that he's lying because that is not what it says.

It doesn't matter what you think anymore loveistruth, it is clear how you operate. Tit for tat, dodging the point, cutting out all the stuff you don't agree with, then when you get cornered with history for example, you just say "well thats what he says", or you say the definition is wrong, or whatever. The facts speak for themselves: I've quoted the bankers themselves saying "we'd better destroy that system", and we have 2 dead american presidents, but not for going to gold, but for of all things, "printing money". The problem with you is you think that all printed money is bad, but you never stop to ask: "Who is printing the money?" -- because you think it doesn't matter, but that is just it : IT DOES MATTER, and it matters so much that these banksters will kill and kill again over this one point. How do I now this? Because I myself have been threatened already. And why? Because I'm involved in federal politics here in Canada, and yes, I have felt the breath down my neck already. So get off your lousy horse and start accepting history the way it is, and everything else for what it matters. As for your zeal, you've expended enough on this one thread to keep put an entire stake relief society to shame for at least a decade.

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

ithink wrote:Jason, I think your apology is misplaced. loveistruth, do you think the founders had access to dictionary.com as a definition of "coin"? Jason is right on thinking coin does not mean "gold and silver", and we know every time Ron Paul opens his mouth and says that he's lying because that is not what it says.
Really, Mr. Canadian expert of US Constitution?

"No State shall ... make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts" (Article I, Section 10)
So Ron Paul is telling the truth, and you are SLANDERING him (I like it better than "libel," so deal with it).
ithink wrote:It doesn't matter what you think anymore loveistruth, it is clear how you operate. Tit for tat, dodging the point, cutting out all the stuff you don't agree with, then when you get cornered with history for example, you just say "well thats what he says", or you say the definition is wrong, or whatever. The facts speak for themselves: I've quoted the bankers themselves saying "we'd better destroy that system", and we have 2 dead american presidents, but not for going to gold, but for of all things, "printing money". The problem with you is you think that all printed money is bad, but you never stop to ask: "Who is printing the money?" -- because you think it doesn't matter, but that is just it : IT DOES MATTER, and it matters so much that these banksters will kill and kill again over this one point.
Yes, because it is one criminal enterprise (banksters) competing with another criminal enterprise (the government).
ithink wrote:How do I now this? Because I myself have been threatened already. And why? Because I'm involved in federal politics here in Canada, and yes, I have felt the breath down my neck already. So get off your lousy horse and start accepting history the way it is, and everything else for what it matters.
The only thing I am advocating is Freedom, which implies Free Competition in Currencies.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LoveIsTruth wrote:
ithink wrote:Jason, I think your apology is misplaced. loveistruth, do you think the founders had access to dictionary.com as a definition of "coin"? Jason is right on thinking coin does not mean "gold and silver", and we know every time Ron Paul opens his mouth and says that he's lying because that is not what it says.
Really, Mr. Canadian expert of US Constitution?

"No State shall ... make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts" (Article I, Section 10)
So Ron Paul is telling the truth, and you are SLANDERING him (I like it better than "libel," so deal with it).
ithink wrote:It doesn't matter what you think anymore loveistruth, it is clear how you operate. Tit for tat, dodging the point, cutting out all the stuff you don't agree with, then when you get cornered with history for example, you just say "well thats what he says", or you say the definition is wrong, or whatever. The facts speak for themselves: I've quoted the bankers themselves saying "we'd better destroy that system", and we have 2 dead american presidents, but not for going to gold, but for of all things, "printing money". The problem with you is you think that all printed money is bad, but you never stop to ask: "Who is printing the money?" -- because you think it doesn't matter, but that is just it : IT DOES MATTER, and it matters so much that these banksters will kill and kill again over this one point.
Yes, because it is one criminal enterprise (banksters) competing with another criminal enterprise (the government).
ithink wrote:How do I now this? Because I myself have been threatened already. And why? Because I'm involved in federal politics here in Canada, and yes, I have felt the breath down my neck already. So get off your lousy horse and start accepting history the way it is, and everything else for what it matters.
The only thing I am advocating is Freedom, which implies Free Competition in Currencies.
...and tit for tat we go....

fyi - the government is the people (in a democracy)...so if you have criminal enterprise there....you have much bigger problems than gold/silver money...

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

Jason wrote:fyi - the government is the people (in a democracy)...so if you have criminal enterprise there....you have much bigger problems than gold/silver money...
Yes. But you know that democracy rarely exist for long, under these circumstances, thus it is simply a transitional state to tyranny of oligarchy. Thus government is NOT the people, most of the time. In fact, pure democracy is a wicked theory that 51% of the people can enslave and kill 49%. We need Liberty, where 99% cannot deprive even one of his property.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LoveIsTruth wrote:
Jason wrote:fyi - the government is the people (in a democracy)...so if you have criminal enterprise there....you have much bigger problems than gold/silver money...
Yes. But you know that democracy rarely exist for long, under these circumstances, thus it is simply a transitional state to tyranny of oligarchy. Thus government is NOT the people, most of the time. In fact, pure democracy is a wicked theory that 51% of the people can enslave and kill 49%. We need Liberty, where 99% cannot deprive even one of his property.
Well actually the people allow it....by allowing themselves to become polarized and opposed to each other rather than uniting and solving the root problem....or they decided to just participate and get while the getting is good (whatever they may get in the short run)....but that's another matter....

Speaking of tyranny and oligarchy...

Greece’s Lenders Have The Right To Seize National Gold Reserves
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/greece%E2 ... d-reserves" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Projected PIIGS Pillage: 3233.5 Tons Of Gold To Be Confiscated By Insolvent European Banks
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/projected ... pean-banks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...of course we could just sell it to them first which is what another "con"gressman proposed....who was that now? Oh yeah...Ron Paul....

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

Jason wrote:Projected PIIGS Pillage: 3233.5 Tons Of Gold To Be Confiscated By Insolvent European Banks
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/projected ... pean-banks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...of course we could just sell it to them first which is what another "con"gressman proposed....who was that now? Oh yeah...Ron Paul....
Prove it.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

There is too much contention over negligible details...I understand the point that fiat may or may not have intrinsic value, for the sake of the discussion can we agree that the KIND of fiat being protested is money that is essentially worthless and ONLY derives value because the government enforces it as a means of payment of debt? Rather than sparring over the correct definition, why not just concede that the term fiat just means "by decree", and the government can either decree worthless currency (FRNs) or can decree metal coin as has been done in the past. Then y'all could move on to whether the problem is fiat itself, or if it is the ability to create money out of thin air, or interest, or whatever else you want to argue.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LoveIsTruth wrote:
Jason wrote:Projected PIIGS Pillage: 3233.5 Tons Of Gold To Be Confiscated By Insolvent European Banks

Prove it.
SempiternalHarbinger wrote:
Jason wrote:

...specific comments encapsulated below -
The ultimate solution will only come with the rejection of fiat money worldwide, and a restoration of commodity money. Commodity money if voluntarily and universally accepted could give us a single world currency requiring no money managers, no manipulators orchestrating a man-made business cycle with rampant price inflation.
— Ron Paul, Congressional Record, March 13, 2001

at approx 3.08
What ironic is Ron Paul is fully aware that the United States of America owns no gold yet is advocating one! Ron Paul was on Ronald Reagan's gold commission which came back and told Reagan there is no Gold in Fort Knox and the US doesn't own any. So if we own no gold, where would we get the gold from for this world wide currency?? The exact same people who own us today. Of course we would have to borrow it at interest from the international banksters cartel. Which is a road that leads nowhere!
Jason wrote:Amen!!!
Congressman Ron Paul, the Republican presidential candidate who is chairman of the U.S. House Financial Services subcommittee and chairs the House's Subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy plans to question U.S. Treasury officials next Thursday (June 23) about the U.S. gold reserves and get them to testify regarding the authenticity of the nation’s gold reserves.

This is an important question given the increasingly precarious state of the U.S.’ finances and is important to the gold market as the unaudited U.S. gold reserves are the largest holdings of gold bullion in the world (see table above).

Paul, who has said he thinks it's possible there is no gold at Fort Knox, recently said that the government is asking the American people to trust that all the gold is there, while not allowing site visits or an audit.
http://articles.businessinsider.com/201 ... old-market" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ron Paul worries Fort Knox gold is gone
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... d-is-gone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ron Paul worries Fort Knox gold is gone
http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/24/news/ec ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Showing how timelines can reconverge, it turns out that Ron Paul was one of the congressmen who helped establish the Gold Commission during the early 1980's.
http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/ar ... ead=126550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big media is paying attention to proposals for a new Gold Commission. This concept first was floated by Kentucky Senator Rand Paul and reported by The Weekly Standard. A Gold Commission then was proposed by former House Speaker Newt Gingrich as part of his (winning) campaign for South Carolina. Lehrman (with whose scholarly institute this writer professionally is associated) was mentioned in both instances.

Rep. Ron Paul -- now campaigning for president, in large part, on the gold standard -- and Lehrman both served on the Reagan Gold Commission. The Commission met well before the good Dr. Milton Friedman distanced himself from the theory known as monetarism. Following a theory much in vogue the majority of the Commission endorsed the paper standard. Dr. Paul and Mr. Lehrman filed a minority report calling for the restoration of a stable dollar defined by law as a certain weight of gold: the gold standard. Republished, The Case for Gold remains readily available from the Mises Institute and the Cato Institute.
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... ssion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In 1982, Ron Paul served on the U.S. Gold Commission to evaluate the role of gold in the monetary system. In fact, the Commission was his idea. It was carrying forth a promise made in the Republican platform. Back then, Republicans at least made noises about favoring a gold standard based on a gold dollar.

Ron couldn't pick the members, so from the beginning, the deck was stacked. The majority was dominated by monetarists, who saw gold as too scarce and paper as just fine. Ron Paul's team was ready, however, with this marvelous minority report.

Rarely has a dissent on a government commission done so much good!

The result was The Case for Gold, and it was the greatest result of the commission. It covers the history of gold in the United States, explains that its breakdown was caused by governments, and explains the merit of having sound money: prices reflect market realities, government stays in check, and the people retain their freedom. The recommendations include re-establishing a gold standard and a gold dollar in addition to permitting monetary competition and the private production of moneys.

The scholarship and rigor impressed even the critics of the minority. Ron and Lewis Lehrman worked with a team of economists that included Murray Rothbard, so it is hardly surprising that such a book would result.

It still holds up as an excellent blueprint for moving beyond paper money and into the age of sound money.
http://mises.org/document/603/Case-for-Gold-The" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

....pretty much perfect timing to push for a one world global gold currency....all while governments throughout the world are on the verge of demise due to debt based money...obviously they know what the game plan is....and why Ron Paul is partnered with a CFR, PNAC, Bush inner circle, etc...is it not???

The Case for Gold
http://mises.org/books/caseforgold.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul is a proponent of Austrian School economics; he has authored six books on the subject, and displays pictures of Austrian School economists Friedrich Hayek, Murray Rothbard, and Ludwig von Mises (as well as of Grover Cleveland)[143] on his office wall.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NY Sun) - The next big question on the federal debt limit could be whether to start selling the government’s holdings of gold at Fort Knox — and at least one presidential contender, Ron Paul, has told The New York Sun he thinks it would be a good move.

The question has been ricocheting around the policy circles today. An analyst at the Heritage Foundation, Ron Utt, told the Washington Post that the gold holdings of the government are “just sort of sitting there.” He added: “Given the high price it is now, and the tremendous debt problem we now have, by all means, sell at the peak.”

His comment came in the wake of not only the government having reached the statutory debt limit of $14.29 trillion but also the release of a report by the Heritage Foundation of a report on asset sales. The report outlined how a “partial sales of federal properties, real estate, mineral rights, the electromagnetic spectrum, and energy-generation facilities” might garner the federal treasury $260 billion over the course of the next 15 years.

In August 2010, a leading figure in the monetary debate in Congress, Ron Paul, a Republican of Texas, called for an audit of the federal government’s gold reserves. “If there was no question, you’d think they would be very anxious to prove to us that the gold is there. . . . ,” Dr. Paul then said, “In the early 1980s when I was on the gold commission, I asked them to recommend to the Congress that they audit the gold reserves – we had 17 members of the commission and 15 voted not to the audit. I think there was only one decent audit done 50 years ago.”

“If we ever get around to deciding we should use gold in relationship to our currency we ought to know how much is there,” Dr. Paul added, “Our Federal Reserve admits to nothing and they should prove all the gold is there. There is a reason to be suspicious and even if you are not suspicious why wouldn’t you have an audit?” In March 2008 the Times of London quoted a spokesman of the American treasury as saying that American gold holdings “are audited every year by the Department of Treasury's Office of Inspector General. He confirmed that although independent auditors oversee the process they are not given access to the Fort Knox vault.”

Dr. Paul told the Sun today that he reckoned the sale of gold reserves would be “a good and moral decision.
http://www.nysun.com/national/selling-g ... big/87350/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

....yeah sell off what we have (to whom???) right before shifting to a global gold standard...smart really smart...

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

"Jason," you don't understand how free market works. Ron Paul advocates Free Competition in Currencies. You do not have to FORCE people on gold standard, they can choose it if they wish. You do not have to close fiat unbacked paper overnight, you can let it die in competition side by side with sound money.

If European nation are insolvent, how can they BUY the gold. Of course the banksters can buy it because they print the money, but when free market resumes operation, this buying with counterfeited money will end. People will transact in silver or in any other commodity, including gold, and eventually that gold will move from the coffers of the banksters who stole it, into the hands of people who produce things. You will say, "but they have it now." Yes, they stole it, and I would suggest that it would be proper to take it from them by force and sell it back to the people in exchange for the worthless paper they now hold. But in any case, when fiat is dead by the hand of Free Competition in currencies, eventually one way or another gold will make its way in the hands of those who produce. Also remember, we can use silver, or anything else too. Free Market works. It is the only thing that is moral, and that works.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LoveIsTruth wrote:"Jason," you don't understand how free market works. Ron Paul advocates Free Competition in Currencies. You do not have to FORCE people on gold standard, they can choose it if they wish. You do not have to close fiat unbacked paper overnight, you can let it die in competition side by side with sound money.

If European nation are insolvent, how can they BUY the gold. Of course the banksters can buy it because they print the money, but when free market resumes operation, this buying with counterfeited money will end. People will transact in silver or in any other commodity, including gold, and eventually that gold will move from the coffers of the banksters who stole it, into the hands of people who produce things. You will say, "but they have it now." Yes, they stole it, and I would suggest that it would be proper to take it from them by force and sell it back to the people in exchange for the worthless paper they now hold. But in any case, when fiat is dead by the hand of Free Competition in currencies, eventually one way or another gold will make its way in the hands of those who produce. Also remember, we can use silver, or anything else too. Free Market works. It is the only thing that is moral, and that works.
You have a wonderful knack for avoiding and evading the obvious....

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

LoveIsTruth wrote:"Jason," you don't understand how free market works. Ron Paul advocates Free Competition in Currencies. You do not have to FORCE people on gold standard, they can choose it if they wish. You do not have to close fiat unbacked paper overnight, you can let it die in competition side by side with sound money.

Jason wrote:You have a wonderful knack for avoiding and evading the obvious....
The same for you Mr. "we need a police state!" and that's your words!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LoveIsTruth wrote:

Yes without repentance...the wicked are in need of harsher task masters! Eventually it will get to the point that even with the stick they will not be able to maintain a union of the people....

Reality....for better or worse.

Of course one could just beat their head against the wall reiterating the same Ron Paul (big banker funded and the third part of the Hegelian dialect) rants over and over again....mostly to themselves....but to each their own!!!

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

LoveIsTruth wrote:
Jason wrote:Yes without repentance...the wicked are in need of harsher task masters! Eventually it will get to the point that even with the stick they will not be able to maintain a union of the people....

Of course one could just beat their head against the wall reiterating the same Ron Paul (big banker funded and the third part of the Hegelian dialect) rants over and over again....mostly to themselves....but to each their own!!!
Well my rants of Correct Principles of Liberty are much better than your "we need a police state" rants! What are you even doing on this forum, if you believe such things!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LoveIsTruth wrote:
Jason wrote:Yes without repentance...the wicked are in need of harsher task masters! Eventually it will get to the point that even with the stick they will not be able to maintain a union of the people....

Well my rants of Correct Principles of Liberty are much better than your "we need a police state" rants! What are you even doing on this forum, if you believe such things!
...wonderful capacity of embellishment you have....yes mention that reality (need for repentance or harsher taskmasters in order to maintain unity) once or twice and suddenly you're comparing it in equivalency to your pages of endless monotonous rants about empowering the elite by turning over the last vestiges of the power of money to them via your false prophet Ron Paul who's #1 financial contributor right now is a gay Bilderberg member....the question is my comrade from another mother....What are you doing here???

LoveIsTruth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LoveIsTruth »

Jason wrote:
LoveIsTruth wrote:

...wonderful capacity of embellishment you have....yes mention that reality (need for repentance or harsher taskmasters in order to maintain unity) once or twice and suddenly you're comparing it in equivalency to your pages of endless monotonous rants about empowering the elite by turning over the last vestiges of the power of money to them via your false prophet Ron Paul who's #1 financial contributor right now is a gay Bilderberg member....the question is my comrade from another mother....What are you doing here???
I teach correct principles of Liberty, and you are delusional. Yep, that sums it up.

:)