From another of my posts on this forum:
Ether 2:10 For behold, this is a land which is choice above all other lands;
You have to understand the phrase "this land". It means where you are currently standing, not over there or up the coast or 100 miles away from here. The B of M talks constantly about "This Land" being a choice land. Elder Perry in the December Ensign 2012 stated "The United States is the promised land foretold in the Book of Mormon..."
Here are some Prophecies and Promises regarding "choice land" or "This Land" that come from The Book of Mormon. It applies to both the Jaredites and Nephites because they both lived on the same "this land" geographically. You tell me if it seems like Central America or The United States.
1. Land of Promise
2. Land consecrated for an inheritance
3. Land choice above all other lands
4. Land cursed because of wickedness
5. Land Holy to those led to it by the Lord
6. Land of prosperity and security
7. Land of Liberty (huge clue, many countries in Central A are not lands of liberty and their citizens enjoy no such measures like we do in the U.S.)
8. Land of the New Jerusalem (another huge clue, Land of New Jeruselum is not in Central A.)
9. Land where all worship God or are destroyed
10. Land prepared for the Lord's people
11 Land fortified against all other nations
12 Land never to be brought into captivity
13 Land not to be governed by a king (or people that try and dictate their country sorry former leaders like Daniel Ortega of Nicaragua in Central A.)
14 Land where sacred record is to be kept (Hill Cumorah)
15 Land where none shall molest
16 Land only for those brought by the Lord
17 Land to be visited by Christ
18 Land kept from the knowledge of other nations. (until the Lord saw fit to bring other people; first it was the Jaredites, then Lehi and family, and around the same time as Lehi, the Mulekites, and then the Pilgrims.)
It ain't talking about central America.
My 2 cents as usual. Many do not agree with this theory but we all agree in the B of M being a true book and THAT is what counts.