Pad Advice from the Sisters!

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
MrCuddles
captain of 10

Pad Advice from the Sisters!

Post by MrCuddles »

I hope this isn't too TMI but I've been given a task and I need some advice from more learned sisters.

I've been learning how to make reusable menstrual pads and my dear, wonderful mother has been telling all of the women in the family about it. My aunt just asked me to make some for her and her daughters if she covers the cost of materials but here's where the catch is. One of her daughters is autistic and apparently has a really heavy flow.
So, my question is what fabrics are best for absorption? I've already decided to add in a waterproof backing, regardless, but what kinds of fabrics could I use that are absorbent and able to keep dry? And for those that know, would it be better to make pads with sewn in liners or separate liners for her? :-??

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Re: Pad Advice from the Sisters!

Post by butterfly »

Research cloth diapers, it's the same idea. Fleece lets liquid pass through to an absorbent layer, such as cotton or bamboo. The fleece remains dry against the skin. Some people want a natural fiber against the skin, though, and so will opt for merino wool or cashmere which will also let liquid pass through, liquid gets absorbed in the interior layers of the wool, all while keeping the outer layer against the skin dry. wool is antibacterial which helps avoid any local infections. However, some people are allergic to it or don't like the texture.

Basically you need 3 layers:
1- stays dry next to skin - fleece/wool/cashmere
2-highly absorbent - cotton, wool, bamboo
3 - waterproof backing - polyester, nylon

Consider ease of washing in your selection, too.
How did you end up doing this project??? They sell them already made online, too.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Where, butterfly?

MrCuddles
captain of 10

Post by MrCuddles »

butterfly wrote:Research cloth diapers, it's the same idea. Fleece lets liquid pass through to an absorbent layer, such as cotton or bamboo. The fleece remains dry against the skin. Some people want a natural fiber against the skin, though, and so will opt for merino wool or cashmere which will also let liquid pass through, liquid gets absorbed in the interior layers of the wool, all while keeping the outer layer against the skin dry. wool is antibacterial which helps avoid any local infections. However, some people are allergic to it or don't like the texture.

Basically you need 3 layers:
1- stays dry next to skin - fleece/wool/cashmere
2-highly absorbent - cotton, wool, bamboo
3 - waterproof backing - polyester, nylon

Consider ease of washing in your selection, too.
How did you end up doing this project??? They sell them already made online, too.
Thank you, butterfly, I really appreciate that. I've got PUL backing and fleece, is there some fleece that is better than others?

I first learned how to make these pads when I volunteered for a Days For Girls activity and as is typical for me, I found myself wanting to make different styles. Maybe something more convenient. My aunt was hoping for something that would work for her and her girls and yet still be something she could pay for, whether it be with money or something else, because she's had to put down a lot of money for her son's funeral. So first off, I couldn't say no to it because she's family, and second because I know how it feels to lose close family and I want to help out in any way that I can.

OOOK?
captain of 10

Post by OOOK? »

I like the bamboo better than any others I have tried. I have some with a charcoal infused fabric but it is not as absorbent. If I forget to swap them out soon enough on heavy days they will still leak, but so will the bleached plastic from the store. Since I switched I have found I have less cramping and a lighter flow as an added bonus. So far I have had no problem with the durability and just wash them in my machine after they have soaked in hydrogen peroxide and water for a while. Good luck with this.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

Jezebel wrote:Where, butterfly?
Here are a few websites:

http://www.sweetbottomsbaby.com/Feminin ... s/1942.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gladrags.com

lunapads.com

daysforgirls.org You can volunteer to make pads for others in need at this site.

Just google "feminine care reusable pads"

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Thanks!

MrCuddles
captain of 10

Post by MrCuddles »

OOOK? wrote:I like the bamboo better than any others I have tried. I have some with a charcoal infused fabric but it is not as absorbent. If I forget to swap them out soon enough on heavy days they will still leak, but so will the bleached plastic from the store. Since I switched I have found I have less cramping and a lighter flow as an added bonus. So far I have had no problem with the durability and just wash them in my machine after they have soaked in hydrogen peroxide and water for a while. Good luck with this.
Thank you so much :) I've been looking for some good bamboo fleece to get, apparently I'm only able to order it online.

Thanks so much for the posts, everyone! I cannot say how much I appreciate it :)

TrueIntent
captain of 100

Post by TrueIntent »

Or you could try this....I've been meaning to

http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Cup-Pre-Chil ... B000FAG6X0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrCuddles
captain of 10

Post by MrCuddles »

TrueIntent wrote:Or you could try this....I've been meaning to

http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Cup-Pre-Chil ... B000FAG6X0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link. :) I've got a cup myself and absolutely love it. I've told my aunt about it but so far she hasn't said yes or no to it, she just wants the pads. And I finally got them worked out, it's been an interesting learning curve but it has been fun. :)