Have you ever given a blessing?

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
butterfly
captain of 1,000

Have you ever given a blessing?

Post by butterfly »

Sisters, outside of the temple, have you ever felt prompted to give a blessing?
I did once, for one of my children.
I'm not part of the Ordain Women group or anything - I have enough work to do and don't feel the need to pass the sacrament, etc.
But have you ever blessed your kids or maybe a mother in labor? Did you just pray or actually say that it was through the power of the priesthood?
My experience was before the brethren answered Kate Kelly and told the sisters that the phd was for the men to use. I just felt that my husband and I were both stewards of it for the edification of our family.
But then, could a single sister still give a blessing?

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Re: Have you ever given a blessing?

Post by zionminded »

I would SO invite my wife to give a blessing with me. I wouldn't even blink an eye.

If a women blessed me with the power of Christ, I would have as much faith as one given by a priesthood brother.

My wife may not hold keys, but she is a powerful woman of the Lord.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

Thank you! I never even thought about husband and wife both joining together to bless a child or loved one. I bet that would be powerful!

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

butterfly wrote:Thank you! I never even thought about husband and wife both joining together to bless a child or loved one. I bet that would be powerful!
Joseph Smith did it.. as did others. Think about how powerful:

"(Your kids name): by the authority of the Melchizedek priesthood which I hold, and the faith and power of Christ from your mother, WE give you a blessing..."

POWERFUL and if you FEEL that, that is the Spirit of the Lord confirming the truth to you. I really think that there are times this is perfectly okay.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

zionminded wrote:
butterfly wrote:Thank you! I never even thought about husband and wife both joining together to bless a child or loved one. I bet that would be powerful!
Joseph Smith did it.. as did others. Think about how powerful:

"(Your kids name): by the authority of the Melchizedek priesthood which I hold, and the faith and power of Christ from your mother, WE give you a blessing..."

POWERFUL and if you FEEL that, that is the Spirit of the Lord confirming the truth to you. I really think that there are times this is perfectly okay.
That is BEAUTIFUL! Just the sacredness of it and the power you can feel just by envisioning it. I had no idea this was done before. Can you imagine being a child and feeling that type of strength and love coming from your earthly parents and Heavenly Parents as you received such a blessing?! And then the unity felt between husband and wife as they call upon heaven to bless their child - I wish this was openly encouraged today!

So that phrase "the faith and power of Christ from your mother" - do you know where this comes from? Because the phd, for the man, comes from Heavenly Father, right? So the mother receives power from Christ?

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

Well the M priesthood is the priesthood if Christ.

I feel that women's power is of Christ, I really do.

Yes, I wish we taught this, someday soon we will. Don't get me wrong, there is a strong male energy in priesthood office, but women to heal her child is warranted. I also know women who have laid hands on my head and while they didn't invoke the priesthood, they did call in Christ to "heal".

AnthonyR
captain of 100

Post by AnthonyR »

A Mother's blessing to a child or Wife's blessing to a husband by the power of Christ can be a very powerful thing.

When I bless anyone in my family, I always ask my wife to uphold me by her touch or to touch both of us at the same time. Unity is a beautiful thing when calling upon the Powers of Heaven. When both Mother and Father are not present, there is nothing wrong in a Mother blessing the ones she loves.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

butterfly wrote:Sisters, outside of the temple, have you ever felt prompted to give a blessing?
I'm not part of the Ordain Women group or anything - I have enough work to do and don't feel the need to pass the sacrament, etc.
But have you ever blessed your kids or maybe a mother in labor? Did you just pray or actually say that it was through the power of the priesthood?
My experience was before the brethren answered Kate Kelly and told the sisters that the phd was for the men to use. I just felt that my husband and I were both stewards of it for the edification of our family.
I was hoping for a poll.

I have given blessings, both while single and after I was married. (When I was married, one of my kids was sick and my spouse was at work.) God honored the blessings by giving me what to say and by performing the promises.

bornfree
captain of 100

Post by bornfree »

Is it ok to give animals priesthood blessings? I'm serious, like your dog having been hit by a car?

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

butterfly wrote:Sisters, outside of the temple, have you ever felt prompted to give a blessing?
Yes, I was prompted on two different occasions for a child. I gave a "mother's blessing" with hands on head, and invoking my power as the mother of the child. The second time, my child was close to death, and I had asked a bishop to give him a blessing of release. The bishop refused to do so. I gave him the blessing, releasing him as his mother who had brought him into the world. I very much believe that motherhood is a power just as valid and real as ordained priesthood power, although even unordained fathers are allowed to give father's blessings, as well.

I haven't ever given a blessing to anyone else, but I would not hesitate to do so if called upon by the Holy Ghost, and I would not be averse to having sisters lay hands on me and bless me if I were in need.

A single mother is still a mother! Her power is just as real as a mother married to the children's father.

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

bornfree wrote:Is it ok to give animals priesthood blessings? I'm serious, like your dog having been hit by a car?
Mary Fielding Smith, wife of Hyrum Smith, gave a blessing to her ox who had collapsed on the way across the plains so that they could continue on their journey. She used consecrated oil.

Dash jones
captain of 100

Post by Dash jones »

I've also read that when LDS are sealed in the temple, the wife and husband are also co-bearers in a way of the Priesthood. In that the wife can utilize the priesthood power of her husband in his absence.

I've only read it in passing, and so the concept is a little confusing to me, but I have heard that there are women that have given blessings to their children (specifically the on I recall was with a wife whose husband wasn't around and had a sick child or something similar), and of course there is the one mentioned above.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

When Jesus Christ visited the Nephites it says that they prayed to Jesus directly calling him "their Lord and their God".

Jesus did not immediately prohibit them but in his prayer, he explained to the Father that the Nephites were praying to him directly because He was with them and that their intentions were pure, even if it wasn't technically correct. In the chapter before, Christ had directed the people to "always pray to the Father in the name of Christ". Despite this minor issue, the people still received the Holy Ghost and were sanctified and enjoyed a marvelous outpouring of the Spirit.

In the early history of the Church, many men were called out on missions, and women were needed to administer to their families and to each other during child birth etc.

the Church has given us a pattern to follow, and unless their is very unusual circumstances, we should follow the pattern that the Church has set forward and honor that. Their is no HIGHER TRUTH that the church is hiding from its members. The most beautiful way is doing things the Lord's way.

While most people have pure intentions, some people who bring up issues of women giving blessing do not have pure intentions and may only want to cause a gradual errosion of faith.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

It's interesting that in the real life example listed above, the Lord honoured the blessings given by the various women. Davedan, perhaps your view is based on the culture you've grown up in?

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

A friend of mine was recently healed from Lyme disease in a group blessing that included men and women.
http://tysonchunt.blogspot.com/2015/09/ ... r.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I have been involved in many blessing given by women, to children, other women, and men. Many have been healed. I don't think healing is a priesthood ordinance. Baptism is. But healing is not.

I believe any man who believes women cannot heal will be limited in their own ability to heal until they repent of their unbelief.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

bornfree wrote:Is it ok to give animals priesthood blessings? I'm serious, like your dog having been hit by a car?
I think so.

The Church magazines used to carry stories, sometimes, about animals being blessed. Two that come to mind: Hyrum Smith's widow having an ox blessed. A turtle owned by children being blessed and coming back to life.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Desert Roses wrote:
Mary Fielding Smith, wife of Hyrum Smith, gave a blessing to her ox who had collapsed on the way across the plains so that they could continue on their journey. She used consecrated oil.
That's the one I was thinking of.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Yes, I have.
And my TBM sister has.
And I'd like to learn more about energy healing - real spiritual, Godly healing.
I thought it interesting how a male friend explained this:

"One of the best things that ever happened to my Priesthood is that I discovered Reiki. If you are in the mainstream of Reiki, and you want to be a Reiki Master, you can pay upwards of $2,000 for all the attunements. $2,000 for the ability to put my hand son some living being and imagine the healing energy moving into it? I could do that at 9 based on what I learned in Sunday School.

These systems of 'power and authority' are really just tools for our imagination to work with. Our minds are conditioned to believe that in order to get something, it must be given to us, and that there are conditions of the giving.
Some carry crystals, lucky talismans, etc. If you can imagine it, and if you can practice it, you've got it.

Most Priesthood holders are confused about what to do with it! They don't know how to practice Priesthood. I think Priesthood is like Kung Fu, it must be practiced every day. That is one the Mormon lacked: Methods to practice good Priesthood.

I'd recommend every LDS woman become a Reiki Master. Find a circle of people that can do it and join them. Just believing that you've got a healing touch is more powerful than an ordination that you don't know what to do with."

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

@Thinker, I've often thought about that, too, where the line is between priesthood and energy healing. What was your experience with giving a blessing, if you don't mind sharing?

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

Women do all the time. And the should do it. Just because they may not now, be ordained to a priesthood office, it doesn't mean they don't have priesthood "power" or stewardship.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

davedan wrote:When Jesus Christ visited the Nephites it says that they prayed to Jesus directly calling him "their Lord and their God".

Jesus did not immediately prohibit them but in his prayer, he explained to the Father that the Nephites were praying to him directly because He was with them and that their intentions were pure, even if it wasn't technically correct. In the chapter before, Christ had directed the people to "always pray to the Father in the name of Christ". Despite this minor issue, the people still received the Holy Ghost and were sanctified and enjoyed a marvelous outpouring of the Spirit.

In the early history of the Church, many men were called out on missions, and women were needed to administer to their families and to each other during child birth etc.

the Church has given us a pattern to follow, and unless their is very unusual circumstances, we should follow the pattern that the Church has set forward and honor that. Their is no HIGHER TRUTH that the church is hiding from its members. The most beautiful way is doing things the Lord's way.

While most people have pure intentions, some people who bring up issues of women giving blessing do not have pure intentions and may only want to cause a gradual errosion of faith.

A perfect example of your last paragraph davedan is the Ordain Womens movement. Some people here don't seem to understand that there are some folks out there who desire to see membership cut ties and drift away from the church in order to do their own thing. That is why Prophets are called to preside and receive revelation for the body on the true order of the Priesthood. Some seem to think they are more advanced in their spiritual guidance than are these Prophets and begin to become a law unto themselves. They eventually become wolves in sheeps clothing encouraging rebellion and division among the Saints. The Lord is clear in scripture that He does not sanction open rebellion and division. Those who encourage it serve a different master.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

Mark wrote:
davedan wrote:When Jesus Christ visited the Nephites it says that they prayed to Jesus directly calling him "their Lord and their God".

A perfect example of your last paragraph davedan is the Ordain Womens movement. Some people here don't seem to understand that there are some folks out there who desire to see membership cut ties and drift away from the church in order to do their own thing. That is why Prophets are called to preside and receive revelation for the body on the true order of the Priesthood. Some seem to think they are more advanced in their spiritual guidance than are these Prophets and begin to become a law unto themselves. They eventually become wolves in sheeps clothing encouraging rebellion and division among the Saints. The Lord is clear in scripture that He does not sanction open rebellion and division. Those who encourage it serve a different master.
I remember how prevalent this sort of thinking was used to separate blacks from the priesthood and the church in the early 20th century.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

butterfly wrote:@Thinker, I've often thought about that, too, where the line is between priesthood and energy healing. What was your experience with giving a blessing, if you don't mind sharing?
When my kids have been hurt or sick, I've rubbed my hands and placed them over where they were experiencing pain with a silent or expressed prayer for healing.
One of my kids sometimes has asked me to and the moment I do, he sighs and says, "Thanks."

I've taught my kids that they have healing touch by telling them to place their hands as if they were holding a ball, close their eyes and move their hands in or out as if a ball is expanding or deflating and FEEL the energy. They have and one has sweetly given me healing energy when I was hurting.

Incidentally, today during church, we were discussing authority from God and I thought of how there were others who were healing others and one particularly disciples were troubled with, but Jesus basically told them to relax and appreciate that if they are not against them, they're for them - to honor God's power no matter how it is expressed or who is the instrument. Sadly, I didn't feel freedom to share my thoughts.
Then, I read this from the previously mentioned friend and felt the spirit and confirmation:
While Jesus was going about his ministry, there were other "false Messiahs." These False Messiahs would try to heal the sick and fail.

There was one man, however, that disturbed the apostles. This man would heal the sick in the Name of Jesus Christ. They were offended by this and wanted Jesus to confront the man and make him stop. Jesus told them to leave the man alone.

I am going to assume some things here. Jesus was the Christ, not because he was the "Only Begotten" but because he did things in the Name of the Christ. His spirit was of the nature of Christ. And the "CHRIST" was in him and he knew how to tap into that power.

We have heard it said over the pulpit a thousand times. "We are to get and keep the Spirit of God, and his Son Jesus Christ."

It is a little conflicting, and I know why, but the idea that God and Jesus are men, (aka the First Vision), they are also infinite spirit. We EACH have these powers within us. We are children of God. God is within us, always and forever.

When Joseph Smith had the first vision, he could have easily been talking to manifestations of his ownself. And what God and Christ told Joseph could have been a very personal message. And we all have the ability to meet God. I know, it's a little confusing to grasp the concepts of multidimensional beings, that can be one yet exist in many. But perhaps most importantly, know that we all have the power within us.

We have the power of God within us. But, in a odd sort of way, we have to believe in it. If you ponder on God's name "I AM THAT I AM" you being to realize that you are whatever you want to be. So break it down into an equation.

I AM = I AM

This is all of us.

God is omnipresent, so He is pretty much everything.

But for example say, I AM Strong = I AM Strong.

As is above, so is below.

If you cannot believe in the first part of the equation, the second will never manifest.
This is why faith is so important.
For Jesus to take upon himself the identity of Christ, he manifested the second part of the equation.

I AM Christ = I AM Christ. It's a faith thing.

Now, I know, don't go around saying this sort of thing because you will end up in the loony bin with all of the other Jesuses.

God says, "Ask and I shall give." (paraphrased)

The I AM is the first element of identity. Identity is everything we are.

What you claim as your identity. . . . . is you. But. . . . there are many rules and regulations about identity that are also based within the Spirit of Christ.

Gratitude and respect are the key to interactions between consciousness entities. If you claim to be the boss, unless others agree with you, your claim will not stand. If you claim to be a thing, say a hero, life will challenge your claim. If you pass the test, you are what you claim. If you fail the test, then you are a dud.

So many try to be "good people, parents, friends" etc. Life will challenge us on those claims. Just because you get challenged doesn't mean you are not what you claim, but do you have the faith to stand behind your claim.

We are all children of God. You do not have to declare yourself openly, but develop your faith in Christ. He is part of us all. When you use His name, slowly realize that you are asking of yourself too.
Last edited by Thinker on February 28th, 2016, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

zionminded wrote:
Mark wrote:

I remember how prevalent this sort of thinking was used to separate blacks from the priesthood and the church in the early 20th century.

What part of "Mine house is a house of order, saith the Lord God, and not a house of confusion” is hard to understand? Revelation from God given thru living Prophets and Apostles to the body of the church is a fundamental principle of Mormonism. If you stuggle with or reject this principle it will be very difficult to reason together on these types of subjects.