Have you ever given a blessing?

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Have you ever given a blessing?

Post by Thinker »

bethany wrote:
Thinker wrote: Order doesn't mean ignoring the greatest commandments "which hang all of the law and the prophets."
The first of the 10 commandments is related, thou shalt have no other gods before God.
Consider testimonies - especially of the youth - how often GAs and the church are mentioned and how often is God mentioned?

Our church is named in vain, "The church of Jesus Christ..."
In practice, it is The Church of General Authorities.
If you don't believe me, try asking your stake pres or bishop why tithes are not shared with the poor as the law of tithing dictates and how Christ taught.
I was in a ward once & each Sunday I went home feeling off. I puzzled over it constantly. Finally after about 3 months it hit me. The name of Christ only came up in prayers & sacrament. My friend and I thought we would get up and use testimony meeting to rectify the situation. I ended up sick and stuck at home for the next 3 first Sundays. It was a strange ward.
Generally, I'd say that most wards I've been in, worshipping GAs or church is about 70-95% of the 3 hour block.
Today was one of those 95% days and I felt sick - so sick I left the last few minutes, while they were telling which GA they loved and why and equating financial success and prestigue with prophetic ability. :ymsick: :ymsick:

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

Mark wrote:
zionminded wrote:
Mark wrote:
davedan wrote:When Jesus Christ visited the Nephites it says that they prayed to Jesus directly calling him "their Lord and their God".

Jesus did not immediately prohibit them but in his prayer, he explained to the Father that the Nephites were praying to him directly because He was with them and that their intentions were pure, even if it wasn't technically correct. In the chapter before, Christ had directed the people to "always pray to the Father in the name of Christ". Despite this minor issue, the people still received the Holy Ghost and were sanctified and enjoyed a marvelous outpouring of the Spirit.

In the early history of the Church, many men were called out on missions, and women were needed to administer to their families and to each other during child birth etc.

the Church has given us a pattern to follow, and unless their is very unusual circumstances, we should follow the pattern that the Church has set forward and honor that. Their is no HIGHER TRUTH that the church is hiding from its members. The most beautiful way is doing things the Lord's way.

While most people have pure intentions, some people who bring up issues of women giving blessing do not have pure intentions and may only want to cause a gradual errosion of faith.

A perfect example of your last paragraph davedan is the Ordain Womens movement. Some people here don't seem to understand that there are some folks out there who desire to see membership cut ties and drift away from the church in order to do their own thing. That is why Prophets are called to preside and receive revelation for the body on the true order of the Priesthood. Some seem to think they are more advanced in their spiritual guidance than are these Prophets and begin to become a law unto themselves. They eventually become wolves in sheeps clothing encouraging rebellion and division among the Saints. The Lord is clear in scripture that He does not sanction open rebellion and division. Those who encourage it serve a different master.
I remember how prevalent this sort of thinking was used to separate blacks from the priesthood and the church in the early 20th century.

What part of "Mine house is a house of order, saith the Lord God, and not a house of confusion” is hard to understand? Revelation from God given thru living Prophets and Apostles to the body of the church is a fundamental principle of Mormonism. If you stuggle with or reject this principle it will be very difficult to reason together on these types of subjects.
Take the red pill Neo.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

zionminded wrote:
Mark wrote:
zionminded wrote:
Mark wrote:

A perfect example of your last paragraph davedan is the Ordain Womens movement. Some people here don't seem to understand that there are some folks out there who desire to see membership cut ties and drift away from the church in order to do their own thing. That is why Prophets are called to preside and receive revelation for the body on the true order of the Priesthood. Some seem to think they are more advanced in their spiritual guidance than are these Prophets and begin to become a law unto themselves. They eventually become wolves in sheeps clothing encouraging rebellion and division among the Saints. The Lord is clear in scripture that He does not sanction open rebellion and division. Those who encourage it serve a different master.
I remember how prevalent this sort of thinking was used to separate blacks from the priesthood and the church in the early 20th century.

What part of "Mine house is a house of order, saith the Lord God, and not a house of confusion” is hard to understand? Revelation from God given thru living Prophets and Apostles to the body of the church is a fundamental principle of Mormonism. If you stuggle with or reject this principle it will be very difficult to reason together on these types of subjects.
Take the red pill Neo.

Mock to your hearts content zionminded. You have shown your true colors through your posts here. You are no friend of the LDS church. You seek to divide and criticize its operations and leadership. Just the exact opposite of a zion minded person. I hope you can find peace in your life.

Wolverine
captain of 50

Post by Wolverine »

Thinker wrote:
Mark wrote:
Thinker wrote:Mark,
Order doesn't mean ignoring the greatest commandments "which hang all of the law and the prophets."
The first of the 10 commandments is related, thou shalt have no other gods before God.
Consider testimonies - especially of the youth - how often GAs and the church are mentioned and how often is God mentioned?

If you don't believe me, try asking your stake pres or bishop why tithes are not shared with the poor as the law of tithing dictates and how Christ taught.

Tithes are distributed exactly the way the Lord has revealed they should be distributed in this dispensation as revealed thru the Prophets of this dispensation. Just because you still think we should be doing it the same way it was done in Old Testament times when the law of Moses was adhered to does not change the fact that God speaks thru Prophets today to reveal His CURRENT will to His body. You continue to live in the past Sister. The Lord speaks His will thru His Prophets in our day. I guess you were born a few thousand years to late? :-?
You have a right to believe that church leaders now are more wise and godly than Christ, but I don't believe that.
That's not what Mark was saying....what he's talking about is revelation and living prophets....which apparently you don't believe in am I right?

Wolverine
captain of 50

Post by Wolverine »

Mark wrote:
zionminded wrote:
Mark wrote:
zionminded wrote:

Take the red pill Neo.

Mock to your hearts content zionminded. You have shown your true colors through your posts here. You are no friend of the LDS church. You seek to divide and criticize its operations and leadership. Just the exact opposite of a zion minded person. I hope you can find peace in your life.
:ymapplause:

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Order doesn't mean ignoring the greatest commandments "which hang all of the law and the prophets."

You must note that the Church is run today in various countries with different tax codes that did not exist in 1400 BC when this law was written.

Here in Mexico, the Church pays taxes. You still have to pay taxes after tithing as tithing to a church is NOT tax deductible here.

In our ward, Christ is mentioned more often than not in Fast and Testimony Meeting. I'm not sure which ward that you go to where the GAs are mentioned more often than Christ. It's about the same here, perhaps more Christ-weighted here.

We are in 2016 now Thinker. Not 1830, not 1900, not 30 AD, not 1400 BC. God will have His servants do with tithing what He directs. What is incumbent on us is to pay it.

Sandinista
captain of 100

Post by Sandinista »

Back to the original question posed by the author of this post, Here is a link you might find interesting.

https://www.lds.org/topics/joseph-smith ... n?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

samizdat wrote:

You must note that the Church is run today in various countries with different tax codes that did not exist in 1400 BC when this law was written.

Here in Mexico, the Church pays taxes. You still have to pay taxes after tithing as tithing to a church is NOT tax deductible here.

In our ward, Christ is mentioned more often than not in Fast and Testimony Meeting. I'm not sure which ward that you go to where the GAs are mentioned more often than Christ. It's about the same here, perhaps more Christ-weighted here.

We are in 2016 now Thinker. Not 1830, not 1900, not 30 AD, not 1400 BC. God will have His servants do with tithing what He directs. What is incumbent on us is to pay it.
I've lived in 5 states, the south is very heart oriented in their expression of the gospel as would be the Latin nations and peoples, utah is very business oriented in their expressions. Of course that is a generalization and there are exceptions in all scenarios.

I think all would do well to focus on the first and second commandment. Which would bring us back to a mother's blessing where little can match the love of a mother.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

bethany wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
Thinker wrote:
Mark wrote:

Tithes are distributed exactly the way the Lord has revealed they should be distributed in this dispensation as revealed thru the Prophets of this dispensation. Just because you still think we should be doing it the same way it was done in Old Testament times when the law of Moses was adhered to does not change the fact that God speaks thru Prophets today to reveal His CURRENT will to His body. You continue to live in the past Sister. The Lord speaks His will thru His Prophets in our day. I guess you were born a few thousand years to late? :-?
You have a right to believe that church leaders now are more wise and godly than Christ, but I don't believe that.
That's not what Mark was saying....what he's talking about is revelation and living prophets....which apparently you don't believe in am I right?
Wolverine, Mark condemns those who receive personal revelation for their own life esp if it appears to counter his interpretation of the church's stance on things. However, he states that he was rebaptized which is a teaching of Snuffer. The church is pushing back on this wave and exing ppl who report that they have been rebaptized. So basically he reserves the personal right to do as he pleases while claiming divine guidance but others who are responsible for their own path and relationship w Christ are all deceived.

Please Wolverine, share your beliefs surrounding Snuffer and getting rebaptized as the church has lost all authority when they kicked him out. I would like to hear it. I bought one of his books and never cracked it cause I was repelled by it. I did attend a lecture and I became physically I'll and had to leave. They can't both be right. Either Denver is a fraud or the church has lost it's authority. One or the other. But we can cover both bases just in case, get rebaptized and vehemently defend the church. Just. In. Case.

As for blessings and being a woman, I wake up every day and bless all of humanity (especially my enemies on whom I never ever demand that justice in the form of punishment visit them - quite the opposite of Mark thinking he needs to defend Christ by punishing his fellow saints who are on their path back to God)... I bless all life forms & all of nature. I go to bed doing the same. We aren't limited because we don't have priesthood. As for blessing my family members, I've done tons of fasting to physically heal them which has often been effectualized. As for emotional healing I do emotion code.
You got the wrong Mark Sister. No re-baptism here. Don't get me started on Duster. Pride personified. You are apparently referring to the guy here whose parents misspelled his name. :ymsmug:

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

Mark wrote:
bethany wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
Thinker wrote: You have a right to believe that church leaders now are more wise and godly than Christ, but I don't believe that.
Wolverine, Mark condemns those who receive personal revelation for their own life esp if it appears to counter his interpretation of the church's stance on things. However, he states that he was rebaptized which is a teaching of Snuffer. The church is pushing back on this wave and exing ppl who report that they have been rebaptized. So basically he reserves the personal right to do as he pleases while claiming divine guidance but others who are responsible for their own path and relationship w Christ are all deceived.

Please Wolverine, share your beliefs surrounding Snuffer and getting rebaptized as the church has lost all authority when they kicked him out. I would like to hear it. I bought one of his books and never cracked it cause I was repelled by it. I did attend a lecture and I became physically I'll and had to leave. They can't both be right. Either Denver is a fraud or the church has lost it's authority. One or the other. But we can cover both bases just in case, get rebaptized and vehemently defend the church. Just. In. Case.

As for blessings and being a woman, I wake up every day and bless all of humanity (especially my enemies on whom I never ever demand that justice in the form of punishment visit them - quite the opposite of Mark thinking he needs to defend Christ by punishing his fellow saints who are on their path back to God)... I bless all life forms & all of nature. I go to bed doing the same. We aren't limited because we don't have priesthood. As for blessing my family members, I've done tons of fasting to physically heal them which has often been effectualized. As for emotional healing I do emotion code.
You got the wrong Mark Sister. No re-baptism here. Don't get me started on Duster. Pride personified. You are apparently referring to the guy here whose parents misspelled his name. :ymsmug:
Awesome. I stand corrected. No wonder I thought you were schizophrenic.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Wolverine wrote:
Thinker wrote:
Mark wrote:

I do believe in revelation and I also believe that there are people who can prophecy, but I don't see genuine prophetic qualities in the men who lead this church, especially when I consider "actions speak louder than words." Finances are not handled in ways that are of God. God is not about keeping money dark and secret. God is not about building MORE shopping malls and corporate empires, while billions suffer of neglect of basic needs. "God is LOVE." Love is God's monetary system, not money. The church seems to becoming more about money and church-leader worship, than about Christ and God.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

samizdat wrote:

What is incumbent on us is that we worship GOD over any human beings.
The way that ALL wards are set up - is that AT LEAST 1/3 of every 3 hour block is devoted to studying LDS leaders.
We should not be worshipping anybody - except GOD. This was the 1st commandment God gave to Moses and a very important one still.
The greatest commandment above all laws - either in 32 AD or 2016 AD - is to love God and love others as ourselves - and as we love others, we love God. There are more people in this world now than ever, and there are more poor in this world than ever. What business do prophets have building up shopping malls and living such luxuries lives - while so many suffer and are denied tithes??

Dallin Oaks admitted that NO TITHES go to those in need - and this is in disobedience of the responsibility of tithe gatherers in the law of tithing, as well as the greatest commandments Jesus taught "which hang (prioritize above) all the law and the prophets."
To the leaders, it seems it is only important that WE have tithing settlement - that we answer if we are willing to "honestly" and fully pay MONEY for temple worthiness.
They have nobody to answer to - as they continuously keep money dark and secret, except for encouraging everyone to shop at their malls build using funds gathered in the name of Jesus Christ.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Thinker wrote: What is incumbent on us is that we worship GOD over any human beings.
The way that ALL wards are set up - is that AT LEAST 1/3 of every 3 hour block is devoted to studying LDS leaders.
We should not be worshipping anybody - except GOD. This was the 1st commandment God gave to Moses and a very important one still.
Well, it's more than 1/3. In Sunday School this year we're studying the Book of Mormon, which are the words of church leaders during that time period. You're going to have to throw out the Old Testament, New Testament, Pearl of Great Price, the Book of Mormon and the D&C with your line of thinking. Good luck with that!

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

shadow wrote:
Thinker wrote: What is incumbent on us is that we worship GOD over any human beings.
Well, it's more than 1/3. In Sunday School this year we're studying the Book of Mormon, which are the words of church leaders during that time period. You're going to have to throw out the Old Testament, New Testament, Pearl of Great Price, the Book of Mormon and the D&C with your line of thinking. Good luck with that!
Good points, Shadow. :ymcowboy: You know, I often really do like how you put things, even if we're coming from different planets, in terms of perspective.
And doesn't it go for ANY human being - whether they lived thousands of years ago or today?
Don't have other gods before God, no matter how great you think they are - that includes scripture authors.
This is actually such a simple, but very profound and significant point that it goes right past most people.

Still, I think there are some scriptures more godly than others - some teachings more universally true than others.
To me, teachings of love are most Godly - "God is love." Jesus happened to teach a lot about that.
I wish that would be the focus in church - because that is really most important in all we think, feel, say and do.

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

Post by LatterDayLizard »

Is casting out evil spirits the same thing as giving a blessing?
Last edited by LatterDayLizard on March 10th, 2016, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

bethany wrote:
Mark wrote:You got the wrong Mark Sister. No re-baptism here. Don't get me started on Duster. Pride personified. You are apparently referring to the guy here whose parents misspelled his name. :ymsmug:
Awesome. I stand corrected. No wonder I thought you were schizophrenic.
I can be a second witness here. Mark has never, to my knowledge and experience with him, said anything good about Snuffer. I think I would drop down in a faint if I knew he had followed any of Denver's teachings, especially rebaptism.