Do you carry a weapon and if so, what kind?

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

Due to some recent events that could have proved perilous, my husband and I feel that I should be armed with some type of weapon. He's leaning to something more lethal, like a gun, but I find that pretty intimidating. I'm thinking some pepper spray, maybe a taser gun at most. Do any of you carry anything on your person or in your purse? Have you ever had to use it in self defense? Have your kids ever gotten a hold of your weapon? Has it ever been a disadvantage to have a weapon on you? Do you think you could actually take someone else's life if put in the situation?

scottja
captain of 100

Re: Do you carry a weapon and if so, what kind?

Post by scottja »

The BEST defense is to be aware of your surroundings and avoid a bad situation.

That said, the perpetrator that goes after you, even when you are aware of them and have attempted to avoid - they are a dedicated adversary.
Sprays will just get them more upset, consumer tazers are non-effective against a dedicated advisory. The good news is that Hollywood has trained most of society that a tazer will knock you on your butt... but after some training, you will realize that sprays and tazers may not have the incapacitating effect that you want.
Hand to hand, and edged weapon training may also be an option to look at.
If you choose a firearm, also invest in training, some training, and some more training. Develop muscle memory, in a stressful situation you can focus on the threat, and your body just does what it needs to to deploy the firearm. Learn how to load, unload, make safe, make ready, clear malfunctions - in the dark, with your eyes closed, with one hand, silently, ... you get the idea. It is a tool, and it is only as valuable as the skills of the person using the tool.
Practice and train so you know where your physical and mental limitations are. Know how your body handles an adrenaline dump. learn how to manage the changes you body goes through during a stress event - life or death.

Do I carry? yes. Handgun in IWB, or lunch box, or computer bag, door pocket... long gun in trunk, or bag. Extra magazines for all, as well as tactical flashlight and a good knife or two, handcuffs, baton, First aid kit, water, food, blanket.... :)

Kids at home are trained on how to use all tools. My expectations and training of a 2year old 5 year old, 10 year old, and teenager are different.

Sometimes I have been inconvenienced because of the tools choose to carry. If I go to the kids school, I have to re-position, remove, etc...
some restaurants, some businesses, some times of year, I live in AZ - summer ; I have learned to accommodate these inconveniences, because I choose to carry so that I can protect and/or get back to those I love.

Thankfully I have never had to use lethal force, but I am ready to STOP someone's actions if I need to.
They may loose lots of blood as a consequence of the choice they just made. We can choose our actions, but after we have made a choice, we cannot pick and choose the consequences of our actions.
You will have to come to your own terms on taking another's life... I would never use that term. It will be used against you in court by the scumbags next of kin and their lawyer(s). Better to say, "I was in fear for my life, and I had to stop him/her from harming me"

It took me a few years to come to my own understanding, given what I know about the Gospel program, pre and post earthly life, repentance. etc...
The biggest question for myself was "What Eternal responsibility do I take on if I choose to stop someone else's ability to repent in this life?"
I have come to the studied conclusion that my wife, children, other loved ones, and myself are more valuable to the strengthening and growing of the Lords Kingdom here on earth; than the potential for repentance of a person who has already decided to cause serious harm or death to me or mine.

Hand guns are so that you can get to your long gun.
Tools break, so you should have more than one available as a backup.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

"I have come to the studied conclusion that my wife, children, other loved ones, and myself are more valuable to the strengthening and growing of the Lords Kingdom here on earth; than the potential for repentance of a person who has already decided to cause serious harm or death to me or mine."

This sounds like a modern version of Nephi's commandment to slay Laban. I love your response. It makes sense. I'm going to share it with my husband, even though I know he already agrees with what you say, the explanation has excellent points. Thank you for your input. I hadn't even considered how beneficial training would be, but you are right, it would make all the difference in an emergency situation. I guess whenever I would read in the scriptures that he who will not take up his sword against his neighbor must needs flee to Zion, I interpreted it that I wouldn't have to actually be armed ever, because when things got that bad, we would just go to Zion. Now I think that scripture is referring to more the major army for Gog and the battle of Armageddon, not necessarily for everyday life nowadays.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Can I just add the following:

The scriptures are full of examples of the righteous defending themselves. Nephi, Ammon, Captain Moroni, Mormon, Moroni, etc. These men could not have swung a sword without hurting themselves without training. One does not just pick up a sword and start using it.

The duty to protect is repeated again and again, but specifically it is repeated in the Family proclamation.

I do believe that the duty to protect falls primarily to the husband, but his absence mom must be ready to step up.

Additionally, if you read Miracle of Forgiveness, President Kimball points out that a woman should defend her virtue even unto death. I would expand that to say that any person is duty bound to God to defend their own life and the life of their family. Read Alma 48.

My 2 cents.

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

butterfly wrote:Due to some recent events that could have proved perilous, my husband and I feel that I should be armed with some type of weapon. He's leaning to something more lethal, like a gun, but I find that pretty intimidating. I'm thinking some pepper spray, maybe a taser gun at most.
Do any of you carry anything on your person or in your purse? Yes, I do carry.
Have you ever had to use it in self defense? Yes I have. My handgun has saved my life twice. Once when someone pulled a gun on me on the road. Right when I pulled out my (bigger) gun, he pulled to the side and I kept going and the situation was over. The other time was when someone pulled one out at a park because of a basketball game. Again, he ran when he saw my gun and didnt pursue me. Everyone took off.
Some say "Oh, but what if the situation escalated and he shot at you? Well then, at least I could have shot back to defend my life. I'll also add, what if he shot at me if I didn't have a gun? I'm just glad I did. Over 2 Million incidences of defensive gun use are averted every year simply by people "showing" their gun.

Have your kids ever gotten a hold of your weapon? No, they haven't. Not once. I think they got my message. I've talked with them heart to heart about my guns not being toys. On top of that, they've been shooting with me so they know what my guns can do.
Has it ever been a disadvantage to have a weapon on you? No, it hasn't. I only feel safer.
Do you think you could actually take someone else's life if put in the situation? Yes I could, and would.
Also, I have been pepper sprayed and it did incapacitate me for 25-30 mins and I was splashing water on my eyes and couldnt do anything else. Excruciating pain indeed!

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

wrong house.jpg
wrong house.jpg (9.87 KiB) Viewed 7484 times
In honor of your post, I changed my avatar today. We'll see if Rewcox is offended by the disturbing image (again).

Yes, I pack. Where, what, when and how will only be know by someone intent on harming me or my loved ones. One hint - I only use hollow points.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

yes, both pics. so much for the element of surprise.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

scottja wrote:The BEST defense is to be aware of your surroundings and avoid a bad situation.

That said, the perpetrator that goes after you, even when you are aware of them and have attempted to avoid - they are a dedicated adversary.
Sprays will just get them more upset, consumer tazers are non-effective against a dedicated advisory. The good news is that Hollywood has trained most of society that a tazer will knock you on your butt... but after some training, you will realize that sprays and tazers may not have the incapacitating effect that you want.
If you choose a firearm, also invest in training, some training, and some more training. Develop muscle memory, in a stressful situation you can focus on the threat, and your body just does what it needs to to deploy the firearm. Learn how to load, unload, make safe, make ready, clear malfunctions - in the dark, with your eyes closed, with one hand, silently, ... you get the idea. It is a tool, and it is only as valuable as the skills of the person using the tool.
Practice and train so you know where your physical and mental limitations are. Know how your body handles an adrenaline dump. learn how to manage the changes you body goes through during a stress event - life or death.

Do I carry? yes. Handgun in IWB, or lunch box, or computer bag, door pocket... long gun in trunk, or bag. Extra magazines for all, as well as tactical flashlight and a good knife or two, handcuffs, baton, First aid kit, water, food, blanket.... :)

Kids at home are trained on how to use all tools. My expectations and training of a 2year old 5 year old, 10 year old, and teenager are different.

Sometimes I have been inconvenienced because of the tools choose to carry. If I go to the kids school, I have to re-position, remove, etc...
some restaurants, some businesses, some times of year, I live in AZ - summer ; I have learned to accommodate these inconveniences, because I choose to carry so that I can protect and/or get back to those I love.

Thankfully I have never had to use lethal force, but I am ready to STOP someone's actions if I need to.
They may loose lots of blood as a consequence of the choice they just made. We can choose our actions, but after we have made a choice, we cannot pick and choose the consequences of our actions.
You will have to come to your own terms on taking another's life... I would never use that term. It will be used against you in court by the scumbags next of kin and their lawyer(s). Better to say, "I was in fear for my life, and I had to stop him/her from harming me"

It took me a few years to come to my own understanding, given what I know about the Gospel program, pre and post earthly life, repentance. etc...
The biggest question for myself was "What Eternal responsibility do I take on if I choose to stop someone else's ability to repent in this life?"
I have come to the studied conclusion that my wife, children, other loved ones, and myself are more valuable to the strengthening and growing of the Lords Kingdom here on earth; than the potential for repentance of a person who has already decided to cause serious harm or death to me or mine.

Makes sense.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Obrien wrote:yes, both pics. so much for the element of surprise.
Are magazine fed handguns safe with one in the chamber? Or is it only certain guns that can be carried this way? Someone not paying attention could put a slug in their own leg or foot. Or in haste shoot themselves as they remove it from its holster. I've never carried so I am without experience. I do like the extra round idea, however, but wonder how safe it is.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Has anyone used this training course? Any thoughts for or against, advantages or disadvantages?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEUZIJC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

| Mindset | Training | Gear |

The 3 Pillars, when equal in strength, can support you in upwards of 90% of the potentially violent situations that you may encounter. If one pillar is weaker than the other, then your ability to defend yourself or your family begins to crumble. If you’ve got training and good gear but lack the Warrior Mindset, you’re lacking. If you’ve got the Warrior Mindset and True Reality-Based Training.. but lack effective Gear, you’re in trouble. And of course, a lack of Reality-Based training creates a vulnerability that no gear or mindset can help you shore up.

SEE: http://concealedcarryuniversity.org/the ... f-defense/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by freedomforall on December 27th, 2014, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

freedomforall wrote:
Obrien wrote:yes, both pics. so much for the element of surprise.
Are magazine fed handguns safe with one in the chamber? Or is it only certain guns that can be carried this way? Someone not paying attention could put a slug in their own leg or foot. Or in haste shoot themselves as they remove it from its holster. I've never carried so I am without experience. I do like the extra round idea, however, but wonder how safe it is.
The element of surprise was a snarky response to Muerta Rosa's snarky pictures.

In theory, yes, semi auto pistols are "safe" with one in the chamber. I have 16 round mags, so I do not carry with one in the chamber. If I can't handle it with 16 shots, I probably deserve what I get... That said, I do carry extra mags and ammo in the car, so I could put up a pretty good fight if I can get to it.

It is important to practice drawing and holstering your weapon safely. One of the most uncomfortable videos I've ever seen was of an ATF agent shooting himself in the foot while holstering his weapon. He was teaching a class on gun safety, IIRG. Ouch...

WHEN /IF YOU PRACTICE DRAWING AND HOLSTERING MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

How about a Kel-Tec PLR-22?
PLR22.jpg
PLR22.jpg (70.2 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
Oregon is open carry, except is some city limits.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

The semi auto hand guns have a very long hard trigger pull. It takes effort to get them to fire. It takes practice to get used to shooting them compared to a rifle which has a short easy pull. Most rifles are in the 2.5-5 lbs trigger pull. Most auto hand guns are in the 5-10 lbs pull.

Some semi auto hand guns are easy trigger pull due to there design to cock the gun so the trigger is back ready to fire. Each time you fire the semi auto mec. Recocks the trigger. its simalar to a 6 shooter pistol in westerns where you see the shooter first pull the hammer back. Exept it's already back for those type of semi autos. This would be a single action. Double action as you pull the trigger it pulls the hammer back at the same time. This is why there is such a hard trigger pull as it's doing the job of both pull and fire.
Double action semi autos are very safe to have one in the chamber. Single actions are easyer to fire but less safe to carry in a purse or without training. Like the instructor who shot himself in the foot. Double action long hard trigger pull would have prevented that

Rick Grimes
captain of 100

Post by Rick Grimes »

Both my wife and I carry. Can't stress how much I agree with the previous post about "being aware of your surroundings" as being your number one tool to protect yourself though.I carry while at church or at the temple. (I know the Church has a policy against it, but it's concealed, so who is going to tell me anything?)

Rick Grimes
captain of 100

Post by Rick Grimes »

I gotta give props to mes5464 for posting the often forgotten or ignored admonition from Pres. Kimbal about people fighting with thier very lives to protect thier virtue.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

A 357 ...3 revolvers, 5 shots each, 7 days a week. :D

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

S&W M&P Shield 9mmHP's with one in the pipe. Most likely I won't have time to rack the slide and neither will you.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

Due to age, I now carry a Bersa Thunder plus 16 rd.380 loaded with Buffalo bore 90 grain HP bullets at a speed of 1200 FPS. I also have a Bersa .45 UC that I may carry when I'm in St George. I trust my reloads for the 45, but my reloads cannot compare withe Buffalo Bore .380's My Bersas have been incredible weapons, over 4000 rounds shot thru both, not a single ftf, nor squib, nothing but accuracy! 15+1 in the Berso .380, 7+1 in the Bersa .45 using reloads of Rainier .230 gr Hollow points over 5.4 grains of Bulleseye gives me a speed of 1000 fps. looking at moving up to 5.7 grains, but will do it slowly.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=129" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MY friend who just retired from the FBI carries his .40 loaded with 165 gr at 1050 fps!

Bob

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

Bersa's are very underrated pistols IMHO. Love my Bersa Thunder CC .380. My wife carries it in her purse. Mine eats everything I've ever fed it except for cheap Fiocchi plinking rounds. The feeding issues have something to do with the factory crimp Fiocchi uses.

I will have to pick up a few boxes of Buffalo Bore to try out.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

freedomforall wrote:
scottja wrote:The BEST defense is to be aware of your surroundings and avoid a bad situation.

Makes sense.[/]

The dead can repent, after you've forgiven him for forcing you to kill him! 138:58 first four words!

The Student
captain of 10

Post by The Student »

I carry concealed. My conceal handgun is the subcompact .9mm Glock. I have carried for 6 years. (LONG STORY) I wrote an article for the Conceal Carry magazine several years ago explaining what it feels like to be trapped in a small corner store when a group of thugs begin fighting over a bad drug deal. Long story short ~ I will never leave myself so vulnerable again.

I also carry at home. This may sound crazy, but I live in Houston and home invasions happen regularly. At home I do not have to conceal so my .40 Beretta is on my hip. I like the way it feels, nice grip, and the accuracy. Beside my bed is a 12 gage.

I hit the range weekly on Ladies Night to make certain that I am comfortable with all the handguns in our home. We go out in the country and run drills. We are not crazy.... it is great training and something we enjoy doing as a couple, or sometimes several couples.

Practice, practice, practice... and stay aware of your surroundings. Make it a point of NEVER walking to your car while you are chatting on your cell phone; for example. Do not become an easy target.

minion
captain of 10

Post by minion »

freedomforall wrote:
scottja wrote: The good news is that Hollywood has trained most of society that a tazer will knock you on your butt...
butt....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

The Student wrote:I carry concealed. My conceal handgun is the subcompact .9mm Glock. I have carried for 6 years. (LONG STORY) I wrote an article for the Conceal Carry magazine several years ago explaining what it feels like to be trapped in a small corner store when a group of thugs begin fighting over a bad drug deal. Long story short ~ I will never leave myself so vulnerable again.

I also carry at home. This may sound crazy, but I live in Houston and home invasions happen regularly. At home I do not have to conceal so my .40 Beretta is on my hip. I like the way it feels, nice grip, and the accuracy. Beside my bed is a 12 gage.

I hit the range weekly on Ladies Night to make certain that I am comfortable with all the handguns in our home. We go out in the country and run drills. We are not crazy.... it is great training and something we enjoy doing as a couple, or sometimes several couples.

Practice, practice, practice... and stay aware of your surroundings. Make it a point of NEVER walking to your car while you are chatting on your cell phone; for example. Do not become an easy target.
I understand that a lot of things should be taken into consideration.
Try to defuse the situation instead of throwing logs into the fire. Depending on what is said to a person with a gun can determine whether or not they actually shoot. Making them mad is not wise. Egging them on is not wise. Calling them names is not wise.
One saying their sorry even if the other person is in the wrong can help defuse the situation. Trying to see their point of view may help.
But if someone is determined to shoot, one better have a warrior attitude when pushed. This is of course where practice is essential. Practice not only shooting skills but practice being intent on doing major damage if pushed into it. Learn to be a mad tiger or some such thing.
Too many people carry a gun but would freeze in a stressful situation, it comes naturally. One has to practice drawing and shooting so it comes without thinking. Even in martial arts the practitioner must react and block without thinking. So merely carrying a gun can mean nothing.
Another thing is to know the laws in your area. There can be serious repercussions for shooting someone even in self defense. Most times it is illegal to chase down an enemy and shoot them after the initial event. Some states do not allow for stand your ground either.

Luthien
captain of 10

Post by Luthien »

We are avid hunters and own many guns. And even if we didn't hunt, we'd still own guns. My husband is gone a lot for work and I've had 2 occasions where I needed a gun at my home for protection. (No one was ever shot) At the present time I only carry a taser on my person but am thinking about carrying a handgun once again. Kids have never gotten ahold of our weapons. We teach them respect for the weapons long before they ever touch one.
When the "crap hits the fan" scenario finally comes to fruition guns will be a necessity in my humble opinion. Heck fire, people on meth (all over this state) will scare the living daylights out of ya!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

How about a Crosman model 1377 1.77 Cal, single shot air gun, capable of 600 fps with either BB's or pellets? The 1977 first variant has a steel breech and steel breech cover, whereas the newer 1377c has a plastic breech for pellets only.
Crosman 1377 American Classic 1.77 cal 1.jpg
Crosman 1377 American Classic 1.77 cal 1.jpg (60.19 KiB) Viewed 5803 times
And one can attach a shoulder stock if desired.
1377 with shoulder stock 1.jpg
1377 with shoulder stock 1.jpg (63.38 KiB) Viewed 5803 times
Too bad they don't manufacture a 500 shot magazine and feeder to go with it.