Room Temperature in RS room too warm

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
Deb1961
captain of 10

Room Temperature in RS room too warm

Post by Deb1961 »

Last Sunday, I went to Relief Society. I try to listen but the thermostat is always set too high. It makes me sleepy and I find it hard to concentrate on the lesson. I don't want to be a complainer but what can I do? Plus, viruses thrive in warm environments. We have older people that are more sensitive to cooler temperatures so I really don't see an easy answer.

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Re: Room Temperature in RS room too warm

Post by Desert Roses »

Move to my ward. The temp in there is so cold they hand out blankets to those who aren't in sweaters at the beginning of the meeting. =)) Automated heating and cooling...isn't it comfy? But then, I'm always cold when my husband says it's hot...so it's a relative thing. Maybe someone like me would be just right in your RS room.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

tell the primary president you love teaching kids. you'll be out of RS so fast your head will spin.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Our Bishop told us last Sunday that our ward budget was being lowered, and we need to start setting the thermostat warmer when we are using the AC, and cooler when we are using the heat. He specifically was told that the church needs more money to build chapels in Africa, and they need to pull it from the US budgets. Also, there is talk (again, this is from my Bishop) that we will soon be asked to maintain the outside landscaping of our building, as well as the inside cleaning. This may be the reason your ward's thermostat is a bit on the warm side. If so, expect some nice cool temps during the winter months!

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Deb1961 wrote: I don't want to be a complainer but what can I do?
Going through proper channels is best. Tell you husband, he will then tell the HT'ers who will relay the info to his Q President. The Q president will then advise the Bishop in PEC who will then advise the RS president in Ward Council.

If they have a question for you, expect the answer to come in reverse eventually back through your husband.

This method is no doubt Godly, but can be tricky at times. If you are familiar with the relay game around a campfire where messages are whispered in others ears around a circle to see if the initial message is the same as the ending message, you'll know what I mean. Hopefully by the time it gets to the RS president it is not "Sister so and so thinks there are a lot of hot-heads in RS and everybody need to just cool off"

Good luck.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

ajax, thanks for making me lol this morning!!! :))

Deb1961
captain of 10

Post by Deb1961 »

ajax wrote:
Deb1961 wrote: I don't want to be a complainer but what can I do?
Going through proper channels is best. Tell you husband, he will then tell the HT'ers who will relay the info to his Q President. The Q president will then advise the Bishop in PEC who will then advise the RS president in Ward Council.

If they have a question for you, expect the answer to come in reverse eventually back through your husband.

This method is no doubt Godly, but can be tricky at times. If you are familiar with the relay game around a campfire where messages are whispered in others ears around a circle to see if the initial message is the same as the ending message, you'll know what I mean. Hopefully by the time it gets to the RS president it is not "Sister so and so thinks there are a lot of hot-heads in RS and everybody need to just cool off"

Good luck.
Ajax, that's the best laugh I've had all day! I don't have a husband but the RS President is my VT so I'll just call her. Besides I have a question about VT so I'll say "by the way, last Sunday it was a little warm in RS". Also, forgot to mention in my post the the lady sitting next to me was fanning herself to cool down. I'm glad to know it was not just me that was hot.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Here, everyone just goes up to the thermostat and puts it where they want.

In one ward we kept it on 78F in the classrooms, a very good compromise temperature for summer or winter. If it's too hot, dress accordingly. If it's too cold, dress accordingly.

OnGoing
captain of 50

Post by OnGoing »

Show up with no G's and the girls hanging out a bit to help them cool off. Thermostat should change RAPIDLY. ;)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I doubt it is the thermostat that will rapidly change in that event.

Luthien
captain of 10

Post by Luthien »

Have the same problem here as well but it's the chapel lol.. And my mother is the one who sits by the thermostat and cranks it up. Now I can remember very clearly.....uhhh...20+ years ago complaining about being frozen every time I walked into Church and having all the 40+ women tell me that when I get their age I'd understand. AND it's easier to add layers than it is to take them off... Meaning go get a blanket I can't take any more clothes off! Lol
NOW, all those women with hot flashes are old and cold and keep it a balmy 95 while I suffocate and bout have a heat stroke. So I either a) ask my mother to turn it down (doesn't work most of the time) or b) quietly sneak up and lower it a few degrees. "B" had been the choice the last few weeks.
And since I'm primary President, and we have our own system/thermostat in our tiny branch, I can freeze the kids all I want! Ha! Don't worry - we role play with costumes a lot so they stay warm enough ;)

Ruby
captain of 100

Post by Ruby »

We wear coats in the YW room. :)

FSM
captain of 100

Post by FSM »

Be courageous and tell the RS pres. It couldn't hurt to try.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Before I was in the Presidency, I use to just get up and walk out for a while when I was too hot or cold. Now I am stuck, so I try to dress in layers and be prepared for anything.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Strip tease in the middle of RS?

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Stay home and study the Gospel on your own. I promise, God will count your attendance even if the RS pres doesn't.

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

Here's what gets me, they turn up the blast furnace in the winter and they turn up the air conditioner in the summer, ( meaning the temperature is like 80) then add a hundred people and it gets toasty. So you are hot year round. I work in the Temple and there are some rooms that are boiling hot, but you still see people wearing sweaters. I'm starting to think about ice packs! haha

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Muerte Rosa wrote:RS holds value in addition to the gospel.
What do you mean specifically? That the fact I'm in a hot RS room and someone paraphrases what's in the manual - means I'll learn more? :-\

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Muerte Rosa wrote:
Jules wrote:
Muerte Rosa wrote:RS holds value in addition to the gospel.
What do you mean specifically? That the fact I'm in a hot RS room and someone paraphrases what's in the manual - means I'll learn more? :-\
It has nothing to do with the lessons dear. :D its also not something i can teach or explain. You either see it or you don't.
I guess the same applies to what I said. ;)

TrishaStP
captain of 10

Post by TrishaStP »

We have a sister sensitive to heat so the room is set to Freeze. I'd take the warm, and I'd take the nap.