Cookbook recommendation for eating healthy?

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
aigerim
captain of 100

Cookbook recommendation for eating healthy?

Post by aigerim »

I'm sick of eating junk.
I'm sick of my kids eating junk.
I don't want my family to eat GMOs, high fructose corn syrup, and other hazardous pretend food stuffs.
I don't want to eat tainted meat.
I don't want my milk products to come from cows that have been fed and injected with hormones and other mysterious things.

I need a cookbook that can help me make these changes.

Where do you get recipes that your family will actually eat?

Help! Suggestions please!

worthit
captain of 100

Re: Cookbook recommendation for eating healthy?

Post by worthit »

Eating your way to good health by Doug Kaufman

Louisianamama
captain of 100

Post by Louisianamama »

Internet searches

Mr. Tissue Box
captain of 100

Post by Mr. Tissue Box »

Louisianamama wrote:Internet searches
Probably your best bet.

Ruby
captain of 100

Post by Ruby »

Ask people you know who eat healthy foods for their favorite recipes. And definitely search the internet. Then make yourself a binder (or a folder on your computer) of the ones that your family likes.

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

aigerim wrote: ................
I don't want my family to eat GMOs, high fructose corn syrup, and other hazardous pretend food stuffs. Will need to go to health food stores then as most products contain these, or make foods from scratch. Trader Joes, Sprouts, Whole Food Markets. Consider quinoa products, spelt products whic are ancient grains not touched by GMO companies yet.
I don't want to eat tainted meat. see above suggestions
I don't want my milk products to come from cows that have been fed and injected with hormones and other mysterious things. Depending on where you live you can buy raw milk, here in Utah Redmond milk is available at Real Food Markets.

I need a cookbook that can help me make these changes. There are cookbooks promoting healthy lifestyles such as the SCD diet or the paleo diet- "Eat well, Feel well", "Grain-free Gourmet", "Cooking to Heal Little Tummies" "The Mediterranean Diet for beginners"

Where do you get recipes that your family will actually eat? internet, Health food stores, people you know.

Please consider growing your own foods too. Sadly, eating this way will cost you more financially. It will take a lot more of your time to shop and cook for your family.

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

aigerim wrote:I'm sick of eating junk.
I'm sick of my kids eating junk.
I don't want my family to eat GMOs, high fructose corn syrup, and other hazardous pretend food stuffs.
I don't want to eat tainted meat.
I don't want my milk products to come from cows that have been fed and injected with hormones and other mysterious things.

I need a cookbook that can help me make these changes.

Where do you get recipes that your family will actually eat?

If you have family recipes you enjoy, check the internet...someone out there has "healthified" it. My own suggestion--give up on meat, milk, and other animal products. Unless you raise your own, it's hard to really know what's in it, since FDA requirements for "natural" can be pretty loose. Also, consider taking Brigham Young's advice, and eat simple food, simply prepared. Fresh fruits and vegetables are delicious on their own, especially after your taste buds adjust to not using the sugars, salts, and fats. The Word of Wisdom is an excellent resource as to WHAT to eat, and the internet a great resource on HOW to prepare it. There are some great blogs with simple, delicious, and healthy foods. Good luck!

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

Desert Roses wrote:
............. Fresh fruits and vegetables are delicious on their own, especially after your taste buds adjust to not using the sugars, salts, and fats. ................
This is sooo true. My son with ulcerative colitis (in remission with diet changes) doesnt even crave the junk food. And if he has a bite of processed food he comments how bad it tastes :) (fair warning- He did whine a bit the first few months going off the processed foods, so your family might have an adjustment period)

Strawberry
captain of 100

Post by Strawberry »

May I suggest ALL books by Robyn Openshaw aka Green Smoothie Girl (http://greensmoothiegirl.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)? My mom is one of her few health coaches, I an apprentice coach. We both teach wellness classes on wholefoods living from her work/books. Green smoothies, of course, is the foundation for a healthy diet. I have six children and they like about half the meals from these cook books, they drink smoothies nearly every day. Anyway, I know these recipes are quick, tasty and healthy. As mentioned by someone else here, it is more costly to eat healthy, but I figure it costs more to have surgery and be out of commission for long periods of time than it does to spend a little more on diet and live a healthy vital life.

I suggest you check out her twelve steps to whole foods manual, which has tons of recipes - http://greensmoothiegirl.com/products/r ... s-program/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Her kids health books - http://greensmoothiegirl.com/products/r ... ds-health/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wish you all the best on your quest - Still working on converting my husband, the children have it pretty well down :D

friendsofthe
captain of 1,000

Post by friendsofthe »

Aigerim, I think there is a wave of awakening when it comes eating a healthy diet. However there are still many voices out there and it can be a bit confusing. Here’s my advice for good eating and good health.

1- Whatever the FDA says, do the opposite. When you come to understand who’s in charge of the FDA you come to know that they don’t have our best interest at heart.
2- Go to http://www.mercola.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and subscribe to Dr. Mercola’s news letter. He speaks the truth and is always on the cutting edge of good health. Over time you will get an education that will help you cut through all of the confusion and learn what you need to know.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Look up gerson diet they use it to cure cancer doesn't get any better or healthy.
I don't have cancer heard about gerson diet and tryed it out for a month just for a cleansing. To my surprise my slightly balding hair grew back in nice and full again. I was doing there juice diet like they do for currying cancer. Since then we just eat really healthy mostly out of our own garden or meat we have raised. We bought this book and use it as a guide as much as we can.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BQ6FI ... SY200_QL40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dlbww
captain of 100

Post by dlbww »