Temple Altar Cloth

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
Green Rose
captain of 50

Temple Altar Cloth

Post by Green Rose »

Does anyone have a pattern for or a web link to a crochet pattern suitable for an altar cloth? I've been searching and searching for one that I can use to create an altar cloth, but haven't had much luck. Thanks. I'll go back to Pinterest and keep combing through there. Oy.

karend77
captain of 1,000

Re: Temple Altar Cloth

Post by karend77 »

Try contacting the person on this blog-

http://ldslacemaker.com/tag/altar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrentL
captain of 100

Post by BrentL »

can I recomend this?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... den-spiral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kathedralegs
captain of 100

Post by kathedralegs »

BrentL wrote:can I recomend this?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library ... den-spiral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those are really cool patterns!! Never could get the hang of knitting.. :ymblushing: darn......

Green Rose
captain of 50

Post by Green Rose »

Thank you so much for those recs. I actually did think about attempting a celestial geometry motif (Would that not be Perfect for a Temple???), but I've felt led to focus on a square within a square shape. I do absolutely love the Fibonacci spiral!!! I find myself seeking it out in everything nowadays. I did manage to find a Venetian Lace pattern last night that I'm trying out, and I think I will send an email to the gal ldslacemaker, too. I'm thinking I will make more than one cloth and spread the beauty...it'll just take me a while. ;)

believer
captain of 1,000

Post by believer »

Those laces by Sister Rockwood are absolutley exquisite. Oh my, they are beautiful.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

post has been deleted
Last edited by passionflower on June 30th, 2014, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green Rose
captain of 50

Post by Green Rose »

passionflower wrote:You would do well to contact the temple for which you want to make altar cloths. They can tell you if there is any need for new altar cloths, and as there are different sizes of altars, which sizes they need. Also, there is a packet avaliable with temple appropriate patterns and size imformation that is kept at the temples(I believe) and you should ask for it. If you make an altar cloth with a pattern that is not temple appropriate, they simply can not use it. Your square within a square idea is probably alright, but I doubt any spiralling patterns Simple repeat geometric patterns are usually within the guidelines. But I would still find out for sure if your pattern is appropriate before you do all this work.
Also, even though some patterns or types of handwork can make beautiful altar cloths. please do something practical, because some types of handwork are harder to deal with in the laundry than others. Just because you see it in the temple, and it is really beautiful, does not mean the staff likes it. Thinking about them would be nice. Once again, ASK about this. I have heard from real good authority that a Hardanger temple altar cloth would be just ideal, and wouldn't someone start making some of those?

Once again, call the temple. Call any temple. Find out what they need from you, if anything, before you begin. Get that packet ( I have the packet, so I know it exists!) and make sure you understand what you can and can't do, and also what the temple WISHES you would do for them. Then you won't waste any of your time and you will produce a work that will be the service you intended it to be. Good luck!!!
Thank you for your concern. I was impressed through the Spirit a few months ago that I should make an altar cloth for my local temple, which is being remodeled and scheduled to open again later in the year. Let me put your mind at ease. I didn't just up and decide to do this. I started asking questions locally and wound up being in touch with someone at LDS HQ in the temple dept. I've been given the dimensions, guidelines and whom to give the completed cloth to once finished, but no packet. In fact, no one has mentioned a packet. Even the local gal who handles repair for altar cloths didn't mention a packet. I think I'm not gonna worry about that. The call has since gone out to the different stakes in the temple district for people to make altar cloths. So I'm good there. I'm really glad no one got nit-picky and specified a particular pattern because that would have bent my natural creative processes. No likey. #:-s My real challenge has been discerning a pattern. I've tried different motifs, always feeling they weren't right. I feel like I've found the One. Very happy. One day I want to try my hand at designing something unique, but my skill level is not ready for that yet. LDSlacemaker is able to do that. She emailed me back with lots of info and ideas, and she oversees the altar cloths for her temple district, too. I really appreciate her support and wealth of knowledge.

Each person will be inspired to create something unique and beautiful. Many of these individuals are very gifted (not so much me). I do believe that each will choose a design that is Inspired. I'm more concerned about pleasing the Lord with my work than I am about making another mortal happy with it, even if that person is a temple worker. I would hope we all recognize the need to be focused on what the Lord wants over what we want individually, or even collectively. This is His Church and these are His Temples. I've not noticed that He is interested in having identical cloths in all the temples. Sure, that would simplify someone's life, but ultimately God is a God of diverse and immense expressiveness. He wants us to learn to emulate Him in kind.

As for what the temple workers want, well, I would suggest they make the temple cloths then. This is not a project that one takes on lightly because it is time consuming and filled with a lot of love and desire to serve the Lord. So I do not worry that I am wasting my time. I'm not looking for glory or recognition either. I've been as prayerful about this labor of love as I know how to be and felt guided to something very specific. If someone decides it is not good enough or usable, I'm not going to lose sleep over it because I feel the Lord's approval now. But I do not think that is going to be an issue. In the temples, I have seen a variety of pattern styles, including spiral shapes. I've seen simple designs and very ornate ones. All have been beautiful, and I'm sure made with the love of one who appreciated having a gift and skill given by the Lord for this purpose. And interestingly enough, not every altar cloth fits the bill of what the guidelines ask for either. :-o

I imagine it is not easy to clean and take care of these sacred cloths, but they are the Lord's. I personally would not mind having the job of washing and blocking these lovely pieces of art. In fact, I might just ask after that service job when my temple opens up. (I actually do not know how they do it. I hand wash and block all my crochet pieces.Yes, it is time consuming, but I love the opportunity to appreciate what was created.) I've spent much time in a variety of temples being enamored by the altar cloths. I've often wondered about the hands and heart that created them. What a choice gift. :) Am I the only one who notices these cloths? Am I the only one who wants to wander around looking at the different ones in each room? I do wonder how many people actually notice them, seeing their details and intricacies.

Louisianamama
captain of 100

Post by Louisianamama »

I have a friend that makes these for the Bountiful temple....it is
Ones of her callings.
She also sews up the temporary clothing such as baptism outfits.

bluberryfish
captain of 50

Post by bluberryfish »

Green Rose, that sounds very lovely! Bless you for your service. I notice the alter cloths, and have always appreciated the time and effort put into them.
The reason I opened this thread is, I've been wondering about the significance and symbolism behind the alter cloth. Any thoughts? (Anybody)

bbacon
Hi, I'm new.

Post by bbacon »

If its appropriate please post pictures of your handy work. Sister Rockwoods pieces were sure beautiful on her site. Look forward to seeing yours!
Yours in the Faith

pollibird
captain of 100

Post by pollibird »

I love to look at the altar clothes when my wife and I go through an endowment session. It is quit special when we get to be the witness couple and I actually get to see the cloth up close. That may sound weird, but I have considered them to be items of divine inspiration.

moreene
Hi, I'm new.

Post by moreene »

I have studied the patterns. Each one seems different, but I only thought they were interesting crochet patterns. I'll have to look deeper. I hoped I might make one for the temple one day.

ElectLady
captain of 100

Post by ElectLady »

It's my understanding, at least for the temple I worked in, that they give away the cloths whenever they wear out. I don't know how you get on the waiting list (if there is one) but that would be great to have. I, too, notice the different patterns. My fav recently was a peacock-type pattern. I think it was Mesa- that's the last temple I was in.