garment help?

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
akeator
Hi, I'm new.

garment help?

Post by akeator »

So the topic of marriage has come up between my boyfriend and I recently, he has his temple recommend and his endowments, but I do not. the temple ceremony is very important to him, but how would I go about getting my recommend? And the garments? I'm a recent convert which is why I don't have my endowments, but especially when I'm lounging around at home I like to hang out in tank tops so I know it's going to be a big change. but like what are the rules and regulations for the garments? I know the bottom of the two pieces is supposed to be about knee length, but that depends on your body type?

natasha
captain of 1,000

Re: garment help?

Post by natasha »

Yes, the garments are suppose to hit us right above the knee...and I mean RIGHT ABOVE....and it doesn't depend on your body type. The way they are sized you will have many choices regarding size and where they hit. As for lounging around in tank tops...that would be your choice, certainly, but it is not what we are to do. You will have several type fabrics to choose from and a couple of them are very light and not cumbersome or prone to make you hot. If you have questions, talk to your Bishop. Also, when you are sealed in the temple, or when you first go through for your own endowment, feel free to ask all the questions on your mind. I don't know where you live...but if you live close to a distribution center....or a temple that has a clothing store....you can ask questions there. Certainly your Relief Society President in your Ward could help you. It won't be long before you will feel "naked" without them. The best to you!!!

heartsongs
captain of 100

Post by heartsongs »

I have a question. How long ago were you baptized? After baptism you will have to wait at least 1 year before you can interview with your Bishop and Stake President to go through the process of obtaining a temple recommend. As a temple worker, I would recommend this. Know this, the gifts of the temple, and their accompanying blessings and enlightenment are very sacred and very special. When, and if you choose to go, I promise, if you go in the Spirit of Christ, it will be a gift from your Father in Heaven that you will cherish in your heart forever.

For now, I would not worry to much about the garments. When the time comes, you will receive instruction regarding them while in the temple. You will also have an opportunity to ask all the questions you need while you're there regarding them. Again, if you go in the Spirit of Christ you will gain the needed insight, and see the blessings that attend such sacred things.

The previous poster is correct. You will have no worries. There are many types of fabrics to choose from and the garments are the same for all. When the time comes, sometimes the Relief Society President may have small square swatches of material you can see to help you choose which fabric you might like. However, not all of them do, for whatever reason.

For now, I would take this year to develop and strengthen your testimony, and develop and strengthen your relationship with Christ and our Father in Heaven. Read your scriptures, gain understanding. Attend your meetings, pay your tithing, fast and pray. Read your Ensign and watch General Conference. Attend your Stake Conference meetings and ask the Lord for forgiveness when you have done something wrong. Ask him to help you grow your testimony and improve each day. Have an attitude of gratitude and before you know it, when the time is closer, you will discover that you are ready for that next step.

Take "this time" as your special time to prepare yourself and make ready. If you do, you will be blessed. If you do, when the time comes, you will be ready. All things will fall into place. If you want to learn more about temples and temple worship, study your scriptures about temples. There are many. Look through the Index and Bible Dictionary for scriptural references to temples. Search through the archives on LDS.org in the Ensigns etc. for talks about the temple. This is a wonderful beginning!!!!

Take your time, grow, learn and become. Congratulations on your conversion. I'd love to hear your conversion story, and good luck to you and all of your future endeavors. Life is hard, but, it will sooooo be worth it in the end if we hold to the Iron Rod and follow Christ!

Heartsongs
:ymhug:

ElectLady
captain of 100

Post by ElectLady »

heartsongs wrote: When the time comes, sometimes the Relief Society President may have small square swatches of material you can see to help you choose which fabric you might like. However, not all of them do, for whatever reason. Heartsongs
:ymhug:
What does the RS Pres have to do with this? Why would she be involved with choosing garments? I don't even think I knew who my RS Pres WAS when I was endowed, let alone consult HER about fabric swatches.

It's my experience that when you buy the first ones at the store there are fabric swatches there to see and it's a crap shoot anyway whether you like the fabric, shape, or cut. It doesn't matter what body type you have, and you can custom order anything you need. I heard once that it shouldn't matter what you are going to dress in to consider which garments you choose to wear (meaning shorter garments with a short skirt; or that the garment determines the modesty) but there are benefits of different cuts and fabrics that work better or worse with some outer clothing. It seems funny that it should be such a topic, but you will wear them every day and night for the rest of your life, and it matters!

It just struck me as funny, I guess, to consult with the RS Pres. I also think it's funny that I often hear people whispering in Beehive clothing like its a library or temple. It's a retail outlet. C'mon.

But, anyway, I liked the feel of garments better than any lounge wear, and it is true that you will quickly get used to wearing them. Good luck-

heartsongs
captain of 100

Post by heartsongs »

Dear Elect Lady,

Please make note, I NEVER TOLD the original poster that she HAD TO CONSULT A RELIEF SOCIETY PRESIDENT. YOU SAID THAT!!!!!!!! I merely made a suggestion that sometimes a Relief Society President has small swatches of the material that the garments are made of. When I was getting ready to take out my endowment, my Relief Society President had them. It was another sister who guided me to the RSP so that when I went to the Bee Hive I already knew what I wanted. Never at any time did she (the RSP) try to tell me what I should choose or pick. In fact, she offered no opinion at all. Please know that in THIS POST I truly mean no offense to you or anyone else. I just do not want a statement to be made that "I supposedly said etc.." that I NEVER MADE.

My post was merely a SUGGESTION only, and the original poster or anyone else is free to do whatever they want with the suggestions.

:D
Heartsongs.

ElectLady
captain of 100

Post by ElectLady »

I guess, then, please note I didn't say that either. I thought it was funny that she would have swatches and would be consulted.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

ElectLady wrote:I guess, then, please note I didn't say that either. I thought it was funny that she would have swatches and would be consulted.
Why would that be funny? Any ward I have been in the Relief Society President has been concerned about each sister in the ward that is a member of RS. Heartsongs and I both just mentioned it as a suggestion to get help and information. Certainly those who work in the distribution center...or at a temple that has a distribution center...could help also. I see nothing wrong with asking someone or maybe even several people, which fabric they prefer and why. There are several choices for a reason.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I believe it's helpful to not be too judgemental on the types and sizes a person prefers. Years ago, I was buying garments with a friend. We were very close to the same size, and about average height. I was surprised when she ordered the short version of the bottom half, and two sizes smaller than mine. It turns out that she was more short-waisted than me, and the regular cut gave her way too much fabric around her hips and waist. She also preferred a much snugger fit than I did. I was a very loose-fit type! However, even though her leg length was quite a ways above the knee, she never wore anything approaching a too-short skirt or short, and was one of the most modest women I knew. She got the garment that felt most comfortable on her body, and wore appropriate and modest clothing, regardless of whether her garment touched her knees.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

When I was still living in Florida, the Relief Society President read a letter from the first Presidency regarding the length of garments...they made a simple statement that the garments should hit directly above the knee.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Akeator,
Ultimately, the counsel you will be given in the temple is that how you wear the garment is between you and the Lord. I am sure of this, having served as an ordinance worker in the temple for many years, and this official statement from SLC Temple Department was always available for us to get out and read when patrons asked us questions regarding the garment.
The most important thing EVER, is developing your relationship with Christ.
Lizzy

heartsongs
captain of 100

Post by heartsongs »

Lizzy60 wrote:Akeator,
Ultimately, the counsel you will be given in the temple is that how you wear the garment is between you and the Lord. I am sure of this, having served as an ordinance worker in the temple for many years, and this official statement from SLC Temple Department was always available for us to get out and read when patrons asked us questions regarding the garment.
The most important thing EVER, is developing your relationship with Christ.
Lizzy
There is a bit more to it than that. :) But, like you said...she will be given those important instructions in the temple by the Temple Matron.

heartsongs
captain of 100

Post by heartsongs »

ElectLady wrote:I guess, then, please note I didn't say that either. I thought it was funny that she would have swatches and would be consulted.
Elect Lady....I went back and re-read my post. It came across on the harsh side. Sorry about that, it wasn't my intention. I apologize! :ymhug:

Stephanie B
captain of 50

Post by Stephanie B »

Body shapes and sizes may affect where the garment falls for the individual.
Hence if you're tall the garment bottom would probably be a bit more above the knee than someone who is short.
That doesn't matter as all garments sold by the church are authorized patterns. What does matter is our diligence and faithfulness in keeping the temple covenants we've entered in.